From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 445
Date: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 5:20 PM

From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

From: rdh_at_dml_hozt.com

From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

From: dloreanboy_at_dml_aol.com

From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

9. Re: Insuring a Delorean?
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Insuring a Delorean?
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

11. RE: engine swap
From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

12. Re: Re: Fun-per-Dollar (FPD) Ratio
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

13. picture archive, please help, its for the good of mankind.
From: daren57_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk

14. Vanity Plate Ideas
From: Shannon Yocom <ss_at_dml_delorean.com>

15. Re: Vanity Plate Ideas
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

16. Re: Re: Flights to Ireland - Low as $449
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

17. Re: Flights to Ireland - Low as $449
From: rdh_at_dml_hozt.com

18. What's reasonable MPG?
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

19. Re: Lift it up question
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_pclink.com>

20. Re: Fun-per-Dollar (FPD) Ratio
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

21. Re: Lift it up question SAFELY
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

22. Spring washers, anyone?
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

23. Project Delorean Site Updated
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Consecutive VINs
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

25. Re: Re: Consecutive VINs
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 22:38:44 EST
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Consecutive VINs

DML,

    I remember finding a box of complete VIN numbers. These tags were stamped
with late VIN numbers. These were the dashboard type of VIN plates. I found
the box at the Columbus warehouse in 1996. I though they were for unmade
cars, cars never made.

Mike Pack

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:02:52 -0000
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

Darren ?list,

The RHD cars I currently know about (in this batch) are
12171   BM
              ?
12173   BM Museum in BridgeNorth.UK
12174   BM
12175   B Auto ..the only one! (SIJ 1082)
12176   BM  my Dusty 4 miles
12177   BM in UK
             ?
12179   BM  in UK (reg number SIJ 1079)
12180   BM    Your car             (SIJ 1083)
12181   BM in Australia
       ? #
12199..last one to finished. Bought direct from Wooler Hodec after
bankruptsy.

Chris P DOC UK

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 05:44:01 -0000
From: rdh_at_dml_hozt.com
Subject: Re: Flights to Ireland - Low as $449

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what people are paying for the flights.

Until Wednesday, March 7, at 8 p.m. Eastern time, Aer Lingus will
sell you two round-trip tickets to Ireland (to Dublin in the east or
Shannon in the West) for a price that is particularly good for early
summer:

$698 departing April 1 to 11, returning by April 25
$838 departing April 12 to 30, returning by May 14
$898 departing May 1 to May 31, returning by June 14

The airline's principal condition, in addition to the quick deadline,
is that you purchase your seats using an American Express card. You
must also stay at least one Saturday night in Ireland and come home
within two weeks. Some Dublin flights will stop in Shannon.

More details at:

http://www.frommers.com/newsletters/today/article4.html

or Call Aer Lingus at 800/474-7424

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:46:56 -0500
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Flights to Ireland.

I guess I am just getting annoyed that all the $300 deals end April 31'st!

I found a few deals under $600, but one of them is sold out for the dates I
need.. The other goes to Dublin or Shannon.  (There is a $80 flight RT from
Shannon to Belfast, or I can take the train from Dublin to Belfast).

Anyone know the cost on the train from Dublin to Belfast??  It looks like a 2-3
hour trip.

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:17:34 -0000
From: dloreanboy_at_dml_aol.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_d...> wrote:
> Anyone going to Ireland from the USA book their flight yet?!
>
> Check out prices on bestfares.com   we got r/t plus stop over in
London(we are going a week early to do England,Scotland, Wales, and
all of Ireland) for $349/each plus we get double airline mileage!

You have to check site daily specials change, and you can join for ?
79.00 and get other benefits and specials and discounts and
vouchers.

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:42:11 -0500
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: DelMarVA DeLorean Owners

Any date set for this yet??

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:36:22 -0500
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_triad.rr.com>
Subject: RE: strange sounds with low fuel

Sounds like your pump is drawing in air when your tank gets low....I think
that Rob has told you right. Filling the tank would stop the noise that you
are hearing.
Robert Starling
Vin#05252

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:34:23 -0500
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

Hi Andy,
You should replace the fuel pickup hose and the little white screen than
goes on the end of it. The noise you are hearing is fuel pump starved for
fuel. It's not a good idea to drive the car with a fuel pump that doesn't
get as much as it would like. It's not good for the pump. And when you
replace all those parts inside the gas tank make you the baffle is well
supported inside... don't leave it just hanging in there.

Hope this helps.
Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298 (for sale)
tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:04:10 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Insuring a Delorean?

David,
Try Nationwide. I have all me rides insured thru them and have had no
problems. As with others, it is limited to a few thousand miles a year. But
the rates are good, and more important they were willing to insure it. Your
age is one thing working against you. It will help to gather all the info on
the car that you find. Most agents have no idea what the car is worth and
because of the image of the car they think it is a $50K car. A good source of
info is this list and all of the DMC parts people. Why not give DMC Houston,
Grady, and Don at Delorean Motor Center a call for info.
Bruce Battles
Vin# 6569

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 22:24:34 -0600
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

When I called Progressive they couldn't quote me a thing-- and I'm thirty,
completely clean.
They referred me to a classic car policy company, but that limited the
number of miles per year you can drive. I was really disapointed that SafeCo
couldn't quote me either. I've been with them for many years and they really
were GREAT and fast when I had an uninsured motorist strike the wife's car
two week before we left Alaska.
All-State gave me great quotes. And no wonder-- I read recently that they
had input on the design (i.e., safety features). I read that on some list
member's web site... somewhere.

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 22:45:48 -0700
From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: RE: engine swap

> If you would like to compare, there
> is a nearly empty freeway in front of my house.  By the time you get to a
> corner where you can compare "maximum lateral acceleration" I'll be in the
> next county.

I hope readers figured out this was a spoof.  The "next county" is a mile
and a half away, with only a gentle curve in between.  I don't race my car,
or even push it very hard (twisted-off trans input shaft aside...).  But I
was very serious about the "FPD" ratio.  All DeLoreans, and especially this
one, are hard to beat.

Ken, I wish I could make it to Memphis, but with a new job it would be
difficult, not to mention what my back would be like after that far in the
DeLorean.  And my wife's is even worse.

I had a similar experience to the one with the Corvette driver.  I came out
to the parking garage at work one day to find a guy I knew leaning up
against his new Acura looking at my newly purchased D (an earlier car),
which he didn't know was mine.  As I approached he said "Who in the heck
working here can afford a car like that?"  Imagine his surprise when I said
it was mine, and I had purchased it from a wrecking yard a few weeks earlier
as a theft recovery for $10,000, put in a new clutch and fixed the shift
linkage, and just cleaned it up.  For a third the cost of his Acura....
Suppose my FPD ratio exceeded his a little?

--
Darryl Tinnerstet

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:44:54 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Fun-per-Dollar (FPD) Ratio

In a message dated 3/6/01 9:30:12 PM Central Standard Time, DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
writes:

> For some reason, it seems that the more expensive/exotic/rare that a
> car is, the more respectful the owners. I've gotten both complements
> and smiles from folks driving Ferarri's, NSX's, Pantera's, and even
> Espirts. But for some reason I always catch flack from Corvette, and

Amen to that one!  there's a guy in town with a Porsche 911 and he's always
wearing a nice leather jacket, slacks, sunglasses - he's probably a stock
market guy or something.  anyway he was parked down town and talking to
someone next to his car when i rolled by in my DeLorean - he looked, smiled
and gave me the thumbs up!!  of course i returned the favor.  then about a
minute later i pulled up next to a Z28 with blacked out lights and tinted
windows and the guy kinda looked at me once and never looked back.  when the
light changed he held his head up high, slumped in his seat, rested his hand
on top of the steering wheel and laid some rubber, like he had to prove his
car.  the best part about a D is everyone thinks it's really powerful but
it's not, so you have an excuse NOT to race someone - you can go as slow as
you want and people think it's just because you CAN go that slow!!!!!!

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:40:36 -0000
From: daren57_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk
Subject: picture archive, please help, its for the good of mankind.

Hello,
Im producing a website called the galleria, its purpose is to collect
owners pictures of their cars, to share

with the rest of the world, there is to be no limit to the car make
and model, and all will be categorised.
So if you have any pictures, the bigger the better, please mail them
to me at daren57_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk
If you want to have a look at the site it can be found at
www.thegalleria.8m.com
The pictures on the site at the moment have been taken without
consent, but once I have a few that have been

given to me I will remove the stolen ones.
Thanks in advance.

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 05:43:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Shannon Yocom <ss_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Vanity Plate Ideas

Kevin & all,
  Of your list my favorites are TWNPINE & WHENRWE.
  One of the funnier ones I've seen was from an owner in IL who had NO COKE.

  When I get my car, and IF I decide to spring for the vanity plate cost, I want to get NO RUST

Shannon Y
VIN # Not Yet!

Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:28:33 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

<snip>
...tell me what you like,
don't like, etc...
<snip>

YourName_at_dml_delorean.com -- it's free from <a href="http://www.delorean.com"> DeLorean Motor Company</a>!

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:44:05 -0500
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>
Subject: Re: Vanity Plate Ideas

Kevin

<SNIP>
> WHENRWE {"Not where the hell are we?...When the hell are we!?"}

This is just GREAT!!! I would get that for my D.. if I would stay in the US.
Unfortunately in my country I'm only allowed 5 characters on a plate. Can
you think of something that is only 5 char. long? Anyone?

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298 (for sale)
tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:48:26 -0500
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Flights to Ireland - Low as $449

$898 is hardly close to $449.

This is expensive compared to what can be easily had with a few minutes of
searching.

<SNIP>

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:25:10 -0000
From: rdh_at_dml_hozt.com

CORRECTION on Website Link:
http://www.frommers.com/newsletters/03-06-01/article4.html

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 07:10:18 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: What's reasonable MPG?

Thanks list, I think you've covered most of my questions (better than a
DeLorean Encyclopedia CD).  The car seems to be running ok now, did my
first mpg test.  I live out in the country about 20 miles from town, the
roads are mostly lightly traveled with a few stop signs before you reach
town.  In town there are a fair number of stop signs, and, as a point of
pride, one traffic signal.  I made three trips to town and back making
sure the gasoline level was the same filling and refilling and got a
tiny fraction over 26 mpg.  I think that's terrific, I was hoping for
anything over 20.  Is there any reason I shouldn't be pleased with
this?  Your thoughts, please.

Les

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 07:44:34 -0600
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_pclink.com>
Subject: Re: Lift it up question

For my use, the BEST tool for  Delorean, and the rest of your fleet, is a
floor jack (the ones on wheels and a long handle).  In less time and with
less concern of overrunning the ramps you can have the car jacked up.  Then
use a good set of jack stands.  Floor jacks are quick and easy to use and
they get the vehicle higher (Even higher if you put blocks between the jack
pad and the car).  If you by one, get one that is sturdy.  I've seen some
$29 specials made out of stamped steel that look questionable.

Remember, no matter how much you love your car, it does not have feelings
for you and will follow All the rules motion, inertia, energy, gravity, etc.
In other words, be careful so that you don't get killed or hurt, the car
will not weep for you. (If I'm not mistaken, at least one person has been
killed working on their Delorean)

Nick Kemp

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:31:31 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: Fun-per-Dollar (FPD) Ratio

You'll see that allot of people will be flocking to your car at that
car show. When I first bought my Delorean it was in pretty sad shape.
Passenger side front fender, hood, front fascia were damaged in an
accident from a previous owner, Four flat rotted out tires, dusty and
dirty panels. Anyway as I was towing it home on a Uhaul full car
caddy, people were sticking their heads out their window and
yelling "NICE CAR!" and honking their horns on the expressway. While
sitting in traffic I had cars on the opposite side of the expressway
flashing their lights, honking their horns and smiling at me with
their thumbs.  It's amazing how much attention our cars get...even
when they are being towed, covered with soot and have body damage to
it!

Their is a guy here at work that bought a brand new 2000 Porsche who
loves to brag about it to everyone. I remember him turning to me
asking me "what kind of car do you own?" while he was with a group of
co-workers. I shrudged my shoulders and said "A Delorean", next thing
I know I have a group of people surrounding me asking me a million
questions about the car and when I was going to bring it in so they
could get a ride in it. I have never seen a persons face turn as red
as that Porsche owners face did..:-)

Steve

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:46:06 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Lift it up question SAFELY

It sounds like you are well aware of the potential dangers involved.
However you are not aware of how dangerous cinder blocks are. They can
crumble without warning especially if you support over a hollow
section or the block was dropped and cracked. Another favorite is wire
or plastic milk crates. They have no lateral stability yet I have seen
them used. You might get away with using unsafe practices for years
but one day your number is up. All members of this list should at
least be aware of proper methods and if they aren't it won't be
because they are uninformed. It would be a shame if someone is injured
working (playing with) on their car. If a car was to fall on you and
you are alone you have no hope even if it didn't kill you outright you
probably have no way to get it off of you. Mechanics generally aren't
working alone in a shop so help is nearby, not the case with many of
us working alone in the garage late at night. Everyone should take
EXTRA safety precautions or your wife may wake up to find you stuck
under your toy.

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:52:09 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Spring washers, anyone?

Windshield wipers call for a spring washer and a nut, I have two
ordinary wrought washers.  DMC Houston does not list them, PJ Grady
doesn't have them, the two local hardware stores never heard of spring
washers or wavy washers.  Rather than knocking on every door, does
anyone have a source?  (I'm not really a purist but I do give everything
a shot).

Thanks, Les

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:23:25 EST
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Project Delorean Site Updated

I've completed the February updates to the Project Delorean Site.  Included
this month are the completion of the front frame rust repair by welding in a
new panel and a couple of shots of the "Living Heart Donor", an Eagle Premier.

Check it out.  www.angelfire.com/md2/projectdelorean

Steve  (VIN 2650, "Project Delorean")

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 15:41:56 EST
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

[Moderator Note - Attaching pictures does not work. They, along with all that annoying HTML from AOL are stripped by the server]

There is only one RHD DeLorean in Northern Ireland. It was built August 1982,
Black Leather and 5-speed transmission. The owner and the car attended the
1997 Belfast expo.
Pictures attached.
Sincerely,
Mike Pack
Vin 3713
DOA 4743

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:33:09 EST
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Consecutive VINs

In a message dated 06-Mar-01 10:56:04 PM GMT Standard Time,
knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com writes:

> The survey data also casts doubt on the commonly reported figure
>  of 8583 vehicles produced (the stats estimate about 9200 cars
>  manufactured). I wonder where this original figure came from -- does
>  anyone have an original _DMC_ source for this commonly cited number?
>  I'm not interested in non-original sources for the number like
>  DeLorean World, or other publications that are merely re-reporting the
>  figure -- I want to know where the figure _originated_ from.

The British goverment investigation into DeLorean Motor Cars Ltd. by the
Committee of Public Accounts  (1983-84) issued the following statistic;
"...and sales of cars to 31 January 1982 were:-
cars produced.....8,333
cars shipped to USA.....7,401..."
Keeping in mind that production continued (albeit limited) thru 1982 then it
seems reasonable that 9200 cars in total might be a more accurate figure.
Come to Eurofest 2001 and ask the many former employees who will be attending
- they'll probably know for sure!

Robert Lamrock
Belfast