From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 456
Date: Thursday, March 15, 2001 5:13 AM

1. Canadian DeLorean Speedo?
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. car mysteriously won't start!!!!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Interesting find in door
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

4. RE: Pathetic horns?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

5. Re: Windshield washer nozzle
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

6. Re: car mysteriously won't start!!!!
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

7. Re: Stripping paint
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net

8. RE: Pathetic horns?
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_imap.maya.com>

9. Re: Power locks
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com>

10. Re: Pathetic horns?
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com>

11. Re: DeLorean of the 90's? (or 00's?)
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

12. Re: upper roof seal replacement
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

13. Another Low Air Fare to Eurofest
From: rdh_at_dml_hozt.com

14. Re: car mysteriously won't start!!!!
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fisherdesign.com>

15. Aluminum Cooling Pipes
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: Windshield washer nozzle
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

17. Re: Re: Eagle Premier 3.0
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

18. Re: Door light question
From: fdillard_at_dml_earthlink.net

19. Antenna Maintainance
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

20. Re: Re: car mysteriously won't start!!!!
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: Power locks
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

22. RE: DeLorean of the 90's? (or 00's?)
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:13:34
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Canadian DeLorean Speedo?

Just curious, what speedo came with the Canadian DeLorean's?
Were they the ones with the 240KM/H speedos, or did they get a higher MPH
speedo, if so - what was the output? More than 85MPH I'd guess...

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:15:53 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: car mysteriously won't start!!!!

Hello all,

i took my D out of storage about three weeks ago and all's been well.  in
fact i've been using it as a daily driver to get it up to speed again.

anyway, the last two days, the car will not start!  this is very confusing
because the car has had no problems with starting AT ALL since i bought the
car last fall.  now all of sudden i just put the key in, it turns and turns
and turns, and nothing happens.  the car won't start.  it keeps cranking and
cranking but nada.

anyway, after i crank a couple of times, i can hear a relay or module in my
fuse block clicking a couple of times then stops.  i have not been able to
figure out which one is doing this because it only does it a couple of times.
 maybe this has something to do with my problem?

fyi - my battery was dead when i came out on tuesday.  i believe my door
lights were not turning off so i have disconnected them and put the battery
on a charger.  yesterday i went out to start the car - the battery had been
charging for a few hours and it probably wasn't totally charged yet.  but i
sat there and cranked until the battery started to get weak, and it did
pretty quickly (after only three tries), so i thought my battery just wasn't
charged enough to start the car.  so i put it on a charger all night.  NOW
this morning i came out to start it, and what do you know - it cranks and
cranks but no ignition.

anyone have any clue what happened here?  this is very confusing for me
because this is very out-of-the-blue.  maybe something came loose in my
engine compartment?  i was back there the day it stopped starting looking for
my temperature sending unit.  but i don't think i knocked something loose
because the car worked just fine after i put it back together because i ran
to the store with it.

so, any thoughts?  i really do not know a ton about engines so i am even MORE
confused!

thanks so far,
Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:21:10 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Interesting find in door

It's a label of the LH door wiring harness, according to the 101407 part
number you indicated. Issue 8 is probably the 8th iteration of that part or
of the complete wiring harness. Many, many changes were made to the wiring
harness through the course of engineering/production.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

> From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:07:30 EST
> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [DML] Interesting find in door
>
> Hello
> My dad and I are working on the driver's side window 'regulator,' and when we
> were searching around in there, a piece of small paper came out. It reads:
>
> DE LOREAN
> 51245754 F
> 101407
> ISSUE 8

[sniped by moderator]

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:14:12 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Pathetic horns?

Take the horn apart.  You may have some road debris inside.  My horns had a
small rock in it 1/8".

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:24:32 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Windshield washer nozzle

The windshield washer nozzle is self-attaching, yours probably has the clips
broken off of it. All the vendors carry them, #100806 about $14.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

> From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:40:39 -0800
> To: "dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com" <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: [DML] Windshield washer nozzle
>
> It's held on by two twisted pieces of rusty wire, that can't be right
> can it?  Doesn't show in the book.
>
> Thanks, Les

[quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 14:54:55 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: car mysteriously won't start!!!!

It is very possible you knocked something loose when you were working
on the motor. It is very tight there and you could disconnect
something and not realize it. Another possibility is that you kicked
the inertia switch under the dash. Make sure the plunger is down and
the fuel pump is running. Are you sure you don't have ignition or
could it be fuel?

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:
[moderator snip]
> anyway, after i crank a couple of times, i can hear a relay or
module in my
> fuse block clicking a couple of times then stops.  i have not been
able to
> figure out which one is doing this because it only does it a couple
of times.
>  maybe this has something to do with my problem?
>
> fyi - my battery was dead when i came out on tuesday.  i believe my
door
> lights were not turning off so i have disconnected them and put the
battery
> on a charger.
[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:54:52 -0500
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net
Subject: Re: Stripping paint

Sir,
Were your door jambs/inside door edges painted?  My D is also painted and I can see that the door edges are the problem areas.  I bought my car off of the original owner an he had the car painted at the dealership before taking delivery.  My son, who is learning auto body repair, says that the panels and all of the exterior parts were removed to paint the car.  was your car the same way?

Jim vin 4149 "ELMO" (cause it's RED)

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:01:21 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_imap.maya.com>

While we're on the topic, let me share a tip I got from Rob Grady
about pathetic horns.

After you get them back sounding the way you like, here's how to keep
'em that way:
Reverse the positions of the two horns (right one to the left and
left one to the right) such that they are pointing *backwards*.
Don't switch the brackets, just the horns themselves. That way, they
will no longer scoop up water, dust and debris, which is the main
cause of horn disharmony.
Doing this seems to make little or no difference in loudness and will
almost surely extend the horns' lifetimes.

--pete kucas
    VIN #06703

--
  --pete

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:23:21 -0500
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Power locks

John,
Mine is doing something very similar, although it started out of nowhere.  If you lock the driver side, the passenger will move, but not enough to lock.  If you try to lock it manually, or with the key, it immediately kicks back into the unlocked position, if you can get it to move at all.  But the drivers side will lock and unlock perfectly fine, completely independent of the passengers.  I would love an answer to this one too, it's quite frustrating.

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:27:21 -0500
From: "Scott Cagle" <sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com>

Les;

When I got mine, they sounded the same.  What has probably happened is that your "low end" horn has gotten water in it and shorted out.  That's what has happened to mine (twice) Check PJ Grady or DMC Houston, they both have them, and they're not too bad.  Pretty easy to replace too.

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:19:25 -0500
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Re: DeLorean of the 90's? (or 00's?)

As Moderator this week, in my judgement the Subaru SVX thread is getting
too much off-topic traffic and probably irritating some subscribers.  It
may only last a little longer.

But I don't want to leave interesed readers wanting more, so here are
some tidbits:

Information about and pictures of the Subaru SVX is plentiful.  Its
owners must love it very much.  Search and you will find places like
this:

http://www.subarusvx.com/

Would you like to buy a BRAND NEW Guigaro-bodied automobile, which had
its engineering done by Lotus?  A car loaded with standard equipment
that reviewers generally like, but consider underpowered?  A car that
comes from an upstart new player in the American car market, determined
to change the rules of the game and desperate to bring jobs to a region
rife with unemployment?

Then get yourself a Daewoo Leganza.  Not sarcarsitaclly, I ask if
perhaps the Leganza is the DeLorean of the 00's?

Picture and reviews at CarPoint:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Overview/Daewoo/Leganza/new.asp

More Leganza reviews at Cars.com:

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?szc=44118&srv=review&act=search&mkid=62&mdid=2738&yr=2000&x=14&y=16

The moral of the story: the automobile business is a small world, and it
is easy to find links between the DeLorean and many other cars.  Or
Kevin Bacon, for that matter.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:37:10 EST
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: upper roof seal replacement

One other thing to be very wary of is the torsion bar.  You don't want to
nick it or damage it in any way with the drill bit when drilling out your old
rivets.  A good precaution is to wrap the torsion bar with duct tape.  This
will help to keep it safe in case you happen to touch it with the drill
slightly.  As you said when drilling out the old rivets use extreme care and
patience so as to not damage the outside of your doors.  Also when punching
out the rivets after they have been drilled out use the same caution.  It is
tricky but patience and care here are the main things to observe.  You can
get new seals and rivets for that matter from any of the DeLorean Vendors.  I
bought my seals from PJ Grady and they came with rivets.  Hope this helps.

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
VIN 3360
http://hometown.aol.com/dmc3360/main.html

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:58:17 -0000
From: rdh_at_dml_hozt.com
Subject: Another Low Air Fare to Eurofest

Here is an AWESOME AIRFARE bargain for DeLorean enthusiasts in
Southern California interested in going to Eurofest.

$258 RT from San Diego on British Airways

Must purchse ticket by end of Thursday, March 15.

Details at:

http://www.frommers.com/newsletters/03-14-01/article3.html#

Call British Air at:

800/AIRWAYS (800/247-9297)

Ryan Air has great RT deals from London to Ireland for around $100.

See you at Eurofest.

Ray Haug

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:22:42 -0600
From: Josh Haldeman <jhaldeman_at_dml_fisherdesign.com>

    You might also want to check the connections at your coil.  My car sat
in my driveway for at least 2 months right after I bought it because I
couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start.  Turns out, one of the spade
connectors on the coil had fallen off!  (d'oh!)  Easy fix though...no cost
involved!
    By the way, the coil is located against the firewall, on the passenger
side of the engine compartment...it's underneath that little box in the
corner with the jump start post diagram on it.  Good luck!
    -Josh

[duplicate quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:54:49 EST
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Aluminum Cooling Pipes

I'd like to replace my some of my cooling pipes because some of mine are
rather corroded.  I was wondering if anyone had any good used ones they'd
like to sell.  There are a total of 10 pipes in the system.  I'm looking for
the forward-most 6.

VIN 2650 "Project Delorean"
www.angelfire.com/md2/projectdelorean

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:28:43 -0500 (EST)
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

Mine's missing I think... Along with the pump, fluid bottle, and tray :P
What does it nozzle clip on to?

Jim
153grrr7

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:37:04 EST
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Re: Eagle Premier 3.0

In a message dated 03/14/2001 9:10:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
shirazcupala_at_dml_home.com writes:

<< >
 > Umm, I hate to be the one to point this out Sheraz, but the DeLorean
 > temperature sending unit is in the RH cylinder head, not in the
 coolant
 > line.  There is no reason it should not show the correct engine
 temp. >>

The first Telex that I uploaded in the vault is from Renault. The engineers
are describing how the temp sensor is fitted to the cylinder head.
Check it out in the Vault.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:27:50 -0000
From: fdillard_at_dml_earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Door light question

In my car the door open warning was also on. I checked the door
switches and found that one of the wires(there are three)was
disconnected. Plugged the wire back in and the light went out.
However, the door open warning buzzer(which is annoying) also came on.

Fernando Dillard

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:02:01 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Antenna Maintainance

I know it seems as though I use WD-40 for everything except brushing my
teeth but it truly is a good product.

My first automatic antenna was on a '58 Lincoln Continental and it would
hang sometimes and not go up or not go down, I got into the habit of
spraying a little WD-40 on a paper towel and wiping it periodically.  I
continued doing it through my Cadillac days and am now doing it on the
D.

Theoretically, the motor and plastic driving shaft are working against
friction, it therefore stands to reason that the less the friction the
easier the motor assembly works and the longer it will be happy doing
it's job.  The reverse is also true.

The antenna is mounted in a truly ugly, confined, spot, along with the
charcoal canister, I suggest you stay out of there if at all possible.

Les

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:10:39 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: car mysteriously won't start!!!!

In a message dated 3/14/01 12:02:23 PM Central Standard Time,
jhaldeman_at_dml_fisherdesign.com writes:

>     You might also want to check the connections at your coil.  My car sat
> in my driveway for at least 2 months right after I bought it because I
> couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start.  Turns out, one of the spade
> connectors on the coil had fallen off!  (d'oh!)  Easy fix though...no cost
> involved!
>     By the way, the coil is located against the firewall, on the passenger
> side of the engine compartment...it's underneath that little box in the
> corner with the jump start post diagram on it.  Good luck!
>     -Josh
>     VIN 5102

SHIT!!!!! you are probably 100% right!!!!!!!!!!!!!  i tried to jump my car
from back there and had a hell of a time getting that damn cover off, and
when i finally got it off, it kinda knocked some stuff around, but i didn't
notice if it killed the coil prongs!!!

i'm going outside to check it NOW!

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:20:40 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 3/14/01 9:22:58 AM Central Standard Time,
sharkywtrs_at_dml_msn.com writes:

> John,
> Mine is doing something very similar, although it started out of nowhere.
> If you lock the driver side, the passenger will move, but not enough to
> lock.  If you try to lock it manually, or with the key, it immediately
> kicks back into the unlocked position, if you can get it to move at all.
> But the drivers side will lock and unlock perfectly fine, completely
> independent of the passengers.  I would love an answer to this one too,

Hey guys,

i just fixed this problem myself a couple weeks ago.  which ever of your
locks doesn't seem to want to engage or disengage, that means it is time to
replace your solenoid in the respective door.  it is a fairly simple job, but
kinda pricey.  my recommendations are to get the new module and pair of
solenoids for the discount price from PJ Grady or DMC Joe.  that's what i
did, and my locks are EXCELLENT now!

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:22:03 -0800
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

> As Moderator this week, in my judgment the Subaru SVX thread
> is getting
> too much off-topic traffic and probably irritating some
> subscribers.  It may only last a little longer.

By posting a question of this type to the list I was hoping that anyone
posting a follow-up comment or question would do so privately. I see the
list as a place to LAUNCH threads that may be on the edge of being DeLorean
related but thereafter they would be taken elsewhere. This list is already
on overload with fringe and recurring questions.

> But I don't want to leave interested readers wanting more, so here are
> some tidbits:
>
> Information about and pictures of the Subaru SVX is plentiful.  Its
> owners must love it very much.  Search and you will find places like
> this:
>
> http://www.subarusvx.com/

 Thanks for posting this. I'll add pictures of my car to my DeLorean site as
soon as I can. The SVX was also in limited production (14,000 for the U.S.
market, 25,000 Total from 92 to 97) and the window design is a dead giveaway
to the DeLorean.

BTW, mine is a 1995 model- Green 8^)

NOW I consider this the end of the thread..

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA   VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean/delorean01.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com