From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 458
Date: Friday, March 16, 2001 4:59 AM

1. Gold DeLorean.
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re:removing fuel pump
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

3. stainless steel show and shine (SSSS) in Canada, eh!
From: "Drinkware" <marvin_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:41:50 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Gold DeLorean.

Hey everybody,
I was looking at an American Express Christmas catalogue (with Gold
DeLorean) on Ebay - Item #1123230610.
I noticed that the car pictured has sliding windows. The gold
DeLoreans I have seen all had regular tool booth windows, so whats
the story with this car? Was it a fake gold car, a prototype simply
painted gold? Where is it now!
Another question, did DMC make a few sets of spare gold plated
panels, or were they all used up in the 3 or 4 that were built?
Thanks,
John Dore, Ireland.

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:28:43 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re:removing fuel pump

In a message dated 3/15/01 8:40:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
writes:

<< i think my problem with starting lies in my fuel pump.  i opened my trunk
and
 there's murky water inside the boot with all the connections underwater.....
 hmm. :-(
  can someone tell me if the pump is a gravity pull pump or how does it work?
 can't seem to find anything about it in my workshop manual.  if someone
could
 point me as to where it is in there, or anything i should know about taking
 my pump out, drop me a line. >>

This is a common problem.  Water drains from the front of the windshield area
thru to the underside of the body where it dumps almost directly over the
fuel pump.  Older prototypes had the fuel tank positioned amidship, in the
center spine.  Maybe that's why the design flaw was overlooked.

You'd better park your D somewhere where you can leave it and work on it
easily for a few days.  As you get into it, you'll no doubt need to order and
wait a day or two for parts.  It's a Bosch electric powered pump, and two
styles are used in the D.  If you replace the pump, be sure to get it from a
DeLorean supplier, as you should all your parts, if possible.  Then you're
sure to have the right one.  Pumps aren't cheap, no matter who you get them
from.  It'd be a shame to get the superceded one because the guy at the parts
store said it would do.

NOTE:  Any time you work on the fuel pump or fuel tank-
        *    DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO PREVENT SPARKS
      *    MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF VENTILATION - avoid excess fume
             inhalation.
       *   WEAR APPROPRIATE FUEL RESISTANT GLOVES.  Gasolene is nasty
             stuff!

Here's how it's supposed to stay dry:
1. Be sure your fuel pump cover is pliable and in good condition.  That's the
thing with the two hose openings.
2.Be sure the pump cover is positioned with the top convex (rounded upwards)
so water will roll off.  It's easy to get it shoved in concave (like a
saucer) which could hold water.
3. The funnel shaped hose openings need to stick up like little volcanos, not
be shoved down where they might be below water level.  Keep your top convex
and this is no problem.
4. The pump cover is a snug, almost difficult fit over the boot, (the part
that hangs into the tank.)  The two pump wires need to be in the two grooves
in the boot to be fully leak resistant.
5. The cover must be snugly clamped in place by the appropriate large hose
clamp.
6. It's not in the original parts manual, but it was later suggested by the
company that a small hose clamp be installed on each "volcano" where a fuel
line exits the top of the pump cover.
7. It's also possible to fabricate a water deflector.  There are plans in an
early DeLorean World magazine.
8. You don't need silicone or other sealers.  The factory designated system
works.  Water-in-boot problems are usually always pump cover problems.

This only tells you how to make it watertight.  If you have to replace the
pump or clean the tank, you'll need more directions. I gave a quick run down
on that in an e-mail dated 2/13/01.  If you can't find it in the archives let
me know, I'll send you a copy.  I'd tell you that you can look it up in the
new, revised service manual, but it isn't done yet!  The P & A Manual (Parts
Identification and Assembly Diagrams) will come out first, later this year if
on schedule.  You'll see stuff you've never seen before!
Hope this helps!

Wayne A. Ernst
The New DeLorean Manuals Project

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:03:47 -0500
From: "Drinkware" <marvin_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: stainless steel show and shine (SSSS) in Canada, eh!

Attention: Ontario, Michigan, Ohio, New York, Illinois, etcl:

 It's a go for a get together in London, Ontario, Canada for DeLorean owners / spouses, friends and lovers of the marque. Check  your calendar for June 15 -17, and drive up here. This will be a non-structured weekend other than a cruise to Springbank Park, the nicest parkland you've ever seen, and show your car,( about 160+ acres set along the Thames River overlooking a beautiful golf course on the other side of the river).  The park houses Storybook Gardens, an 18 acre children's theme park with animals.  Saturday night dinner, hopefully a Friday tour of Labatt's Brewery, meet old friends and make new ones, relax and enjoy Canada will round it out.

Every Sunday afternoon, there is a cruise / show gettogether. About 200 + custom and antique cars show up at an auto parts store. No cost.

Make your own arrangements at the Lamplighter Inn, a Best Western motel. 172 rooms normally go from $99.00 for regular rooms to $139.00 for suites ---Canadian Funds.  However, for this event, I've made arrangements _at_dml_$79.00 and up.(Canadian Funds. (Currently, $100.00 USA  = $140.00 +  Canadian)  Phone  1 - 888 - 232 - 6747 or 519 - 681 - 7151 to make reservations.  There is an indoor pool, health club, family restaurant, lots of parking and is clean and new and easy to find. There are lots of other motels, shopping and restaurants close by. I have rooms set aside there under "DeLorean owners group"

We are located about 140 miles from Detroit,  60 miles from Port Huron, Michigan, 116 miles from Niagara Falls, 384 miles from Chicago, 2526 miles from San Francisco, and right across Lake Erie from Cleveland. The roads are perfect and a 4 lane - #401 Highway will bring you here.

Please e-mail me privately with any questions. I need an idea of the number coming in order to book a reasonably priced restaurant for Saturday night. The Great West Beef is a sit down and / or buffet  place with good food.

There is no registration or cost to come, with or without a DeLorean.

 Of course I'm giving everyone a free souvenir drink tumbler that will be custom printed for this event if you contact me. DO IT NOW!!

Marvin Stein vin #4239
tel: 519 - 434 - 1666
fax: 519 - 434 - 7071
email: marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com