From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 461
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2001 4:59 AM

From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

From: rpeckhoff_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_hscis.net>

From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

13. binnicle removal
From: "Drinkware" <marvin_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

14. Re: Re: Renting out a DeLorean
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

15. RE: Craig radio display
From: "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_millcomm.com>

16. RE: Insuring a Delorean?
From: "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_millcomm.com>

17. What do you use to clean and protect your interior?
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

18. Re: Renting out a DeLorean
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

19. Re: Brake lite- was "First Problem!!"
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: What do you use to clean and protect your interior?
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

21. Re: Three Gold DeLorean cars.
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com

22. OEM tire jack
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

23. Frank Russo of Zilla
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:40:33 EST
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Renting out a DeLorean

Gary,
I rented out my D a few years ago for a convention at the Grand Ole Opry. I
received a fee and photos of the event. My car was trailored to the event and
driven on stage, total time away from my D was two days. A side note to this
story is that Lou Gossett Jr. was there, (got photos with him and my car.)
The agency that rented my car contacted me and wanted to know if I would sell
it to him. I told them no, but was able to find a friend with a D and put
them in contact with each other. This car was sent to Delorean One and
updated, Mr. Gossett is now an owner of an 81 D. I was later told that my car
is the only automobile to ever be on stage on the Grand Ole Opry. It was nice
for my Delorean to earn some of the money back that I had spent on it over
all these years. Still waiting on the Grand Ole Opry to contact me about my D
becoming a full member, but hey how many people can say they live daily with
a star of the Grand Ole Opry!
Bruce Battles
Vin # 06569

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 06:11:57 -0000
From: rpeckhoff_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: 3.0 Eagle motor

List,
	You guys might recognize my name or e-mail from my stripping paint
thread which I was wondering about using brake fluid to take off the
paint of my car. Well, to some that seemed like butchering the car.  I
stripped in the back with the break fluid i had laying around and
front with the rest of some paint stripper my friend had from his
painting job on his camaro. OH NO! cheap shortcut everyone turn your
heads.  REALLY it turned out fine.  To some this may seem like I am a
bad owner. But what are you going to do about it.

	About a month ago the thread of engine replacement was discussed at
great length.  Mostly about the most bang for your buck as engine
conversions and addons are concerned. My next butchering job is my
consideration about taking out a loan for the swapping my engine (not
so cheap) with a northstar v8.  I have been doing some research.  I
think I am going to have american custom engine
http://www.americancustomeng.com/dmc_powe1.htm

do the switch.  Many were hyping and saying they were going to do the
northstar switch last month.  I am unable to call them in their
business hours because I am unable to make personal calls from work.
And I don't have any countable lunch break.  What kind of performance
increase did the people who did the switch get.  Substantial
difference or none?  What are your new performance specs for your car
now? Top Speed?  0-60?  Fun level better than with the PRV6 on a scale
0-100?
	When I finish with my car all of you are going to be scared of it
because I am engineering a Heads Up Display for my D.  The (HUD)
project is easier that what I thought what is was going to be and I am
ahead of schedule.
	My car was meant to be a future car and if I can't beat that
technological deville cadillac I will join it. (Which one do you think
is going to get more attention anyway?)

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 06:13:48 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: my car runs!!!! (sort of)

Check and make sure that your spark plugs are properly gapped. The
BOSCH platinum plugs that I had last were gapped almost double what
the workshop manual reccomends. And they were right out of the box.
The symptom on my car was that you would hit the throttle, and the
engine would hesitate for a few seconds. Then it would "catch up" RPM
wise to the position of the throttle. After replacing the plugs with
properly gapped ones, the RPMs will immediatly jump anytime you tap
the gas.

Two mechanics who listened to my car seperately both said I had a
cylinder that was not firing right away. Now that my engine runs
properly, I can hear what they were talking about. It's hard to
describe, but once the engine is running as it should, it will sound
sharp. There won't be any lugging sounds, and the engine will not
hesitate.

<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 06:24:20 -0800
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_hscis.net>
Subject: Re: Gold DeLorean

Hi Joe,
    I am pretty sure there was a 3rd gold DeLorean.  There is one article
with pictures about it in a DeLorean World Magazine and several others, plus
the fact I actually talked with one of the owners twice.....I know about the
first two being sold via American Express Christmas catalog earlier, but the
third one was right at the end of production. I imagine that was something
that was tossed together on the spur of the moment.   There was one comment
about when the decision was made to make the gold "skins" that no one had a
tank large enough to do the job so that had to enter into the cost.....to
make a tank large enough to hold (for example) the hood and quarter panels
for the plating process.
    However that is not all that important......I am sure ALL of us on here
would enjoy reading one of your little stories re your work in the original
plant.   We way out in the boonies here far from Dunmurry are starved for
information like that and someone like yourself could give us a story now
and then.
    I sure would love to be there at the plant for the convention, but don't
feel that I should try to make it....it is ironic, that when I was younger,
I couldn't afford a trip like that and now that I CAN afford the trip, I am
too old!  Ha.  I will be 80 next month.  Time flies when you are having fun.
I just wish I could "magically" BE there, and not have to make the actual
trip!   I am in good health so far, I can still rujn a 9 minute mile...no
record breaker but not bad for my age, and can do a 180 in another sports
car!  I wont punish my D doing that.  Ha.  But that is an awful long trip
from Washington State USA!
    Thanks for that input Joe.  You have a good last name....ha.
         Murray Fisher
         Vin:  05962  Lic:  DMC-XII
         Washington State USA

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 10:08:17 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Last year when I got married, I was thinking of finding someone in the NJ
area who would rent me their car for pictures.  Not really knowing how to
contact someone (I did not know of the DML at the time) and figuring that
most owners would cringe at the idea, I let it go.  For the most part, I was
not disappointed since there was not a lot of chances to take pictures
outside on a Sat. night.

If someone were to ask me, I would drive them around for an event, but I do
not think I would rent my car out for them to drive.

Just my thoughts....

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 07:27:33 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Steering question

Steering is very tight and jerky like dry plastic rubbing against dry
rubber.  The steering wheel moves up and down ok but not in and out.
The bushing was replaced in May of '99 per records.  Could that be
suspect or is it outside of the column and not involved.  (Weather is
lousy, won't get to look for a couple of days so have time for learned
input).

Thanks, Les

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:28:54 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: my car runs!!!! (sort of)

In a message dated 3/17/01 10:39:39 AM Central Standard Time,
DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com writes:

> Check and make sure that your spark plugs are properly gapped. The
> BOSCH platinum plugs that I had last were gapped almost double what
> the workshop manual reccomends. And they were right out of the box.
> The symptom on my car was that you would hit the throttle, and the
> engine would hesitate for a few seconds. Then it would "catch up" RPM
> wise to the position of the throttle. After replacing the plugs with
> properly gapped ones, the RPMs will immediatly jump anytime you tap

Hey Robert,

good idea but i do not think this is the problem.  the car ran extremely well
before all this happened.  it seems to me that if it were plugs, this problem
would not have occured overnight.

my guess is that i have air in my fuel lines and it must be properly bled.
good thing i was smart enough to give my mechanics the numbers to all the
delorean vendors!

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:36:21 -0000
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Aftermarket radio wiring

Yes, you're right, I am going to replace the radio with a cd
player/radio unit, & I am going to use a 9pin harness to avoid
cutting the stock harness. My question was about the big,
thick, black ground wire.  Do aftermarket units come with this
wire, or will I have to cut this wire to install it?

John Yeoman

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:09:01 EST
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Three Gold DeLorean cars.

    The last DeLorean ever made (the third Gold DMC) was in Cumberland
Maryland. The owner of the Gold car also had a Concourse level 1983 DeLorean,
along with several other collectors cars.
    The Gold panels looked very good with the exception of the passenger
door. The color of the Gold did not to match very well. The last DeLorean
(third gold car) had the tan leather seats & interior.
    The car was originally at the KAPAC headquarters in Columbus Ohio. The
car was featured on the Columbus evening magazine show.
     The car was then sold to a New York promoter. The car was shipped to New
York. The Gold car was on display for the grand opening of a New York
shopping center. I think the store name was ODD LOTS.  While on display, the
car was the grand prize in a Raffle contest. The winner of the car was
contacted by Harry Kaufman Motorcars of Green Bay Wisconsin.
    A deal was made with the winner and a representative from Harry Kaufmans'
flew to NY and drove the car back to Green Bay.
    The next owner acquired the car and another 1983 DMC for his car
collection in Maryland.
    The owner is a very nice gentleman. He was thinking about selling the
Gold car.

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:01:47 -0000
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

I am more than "pretty sure" there was a 3rd gold DeLorean.

The first 2 were available through an American Express Christmas
catalog.

The first one built, vin 4300, is a 5 speed with tan interior, and is
in the National Automobile Museum located in Reno, Nevada.
http://www.jps.net/cjmack/golddmc.htm

The second one built, vin 4301, is an automatic with black interior,
and is in a bank in Snyder, Texas.
http://www.bigtexas.com/dmc

The last one built, vin 20105, an automatic with tan interior, was
assembled by Kapac using the spare set of gold plated panels, and
is owned privately. This car was at Ken's show in Cleveland.
http://www.dmcnews.com/clephoto/cleveland2000_2.html

Information on all of them at:
http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/news17.pdf

John Yeoman

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:06:06 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Re: Removing Doors-NOT

You must remember,that when I first started working on restoring
Deloreans,back in 1982,There was nowhere to turn to for guidance,so I
had to figure out how to do the repairs/restoration myself,there were
no workshop books for the general public out yet,For example, I had
to learn on my own how to take the door panels /window regulators
out,What the best color for frame touch-up would be(Rustoluom Smoke
Grey),How to best remove the Black body off the frame ect,ect.then
when it came time to remove the doors,I discovered it WAS the safest
route to go to remove the doors(to only remove the four bolts holding
the doors on)and it worked just fine,and ever since then I have
installed/removed countless Delorean doors and have stuck with that
process to remove/install doors,BUT THIS PROCESS IS FOR PERSONS WHO
HAVE VERY GOOD KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORKINGS OF THE Delorean doors,if you
do not have such knowledge,HAVE someone that is skilled with
Deloreans do the job for you.

Claude
000570

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., jtrealty_at_dml_w... wrote:
> The only reason you should touch the bolts holding the doors to the
> hinges or the hinges to the body is if there was damage to a door.
The
> adjustments nessesary to PROPERLY reinstall the doors is way beyond
> most people's abilities. The doors are also heavy and it is very
easy

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 11:47:30 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

Question  is, what big thick black wire, there aren't any, if it's like my
Craig, only thing that can be considered a big black wire is the antenna
connector, could that be it?  Black wire to the radio is same size as all the
rest.

Les

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:47:03 -0500
From: "Drinkware" <marvin_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: binnicle removal

I have finally removed the binnicle. This job had been put off for 4 -5  years waiting for the right weather, the purchase of fresh bandages, and a deep breath. With DeLoreans coming in June, I thought mine could look alittle better without the dashmat covering the cracks.

Would someone who has upholstered their binnicle please advise what and what not to do, so it will fit on replacement.

Marvin Stein vin #4239
tel: 519 - 434 - 1666
fax: 519 - 434 - 7071
email: marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com
PRINTED DRINKWARE COMPANY
924 Dundas Street
London, Ontario, Canada, N5W 3A1

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:49:01 EST
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Re: Re: Renting out a DeLorean

[...]

That's a cool story, Bruce.  :)  (Which brings up another topics...does
anyone know what other celebrities own a DeLorean?  Does Johnny
Carson still have his?)

I've had the idea recently of using my D (when I get in into better
looking shape) as a promotional tool for a local "all 80s" radio
station.  I use to work for the broadcasting company that owns this
particular station and I've been thinking about contacting them about
using the D at "remote" stops, where a radio station goes out to
a location to draw a crowd, do contests, give bumper stickers, etc.

If any other D owners want to take this idea and run with it (if you
have such a formatted radio station in your area) I say go for it.
Remotes usually only last a few hours, you could stand there and
watch the car to make sure nobody messes with it, you could
answer questions about it, help promote it, etc.  I think it would
be really cool (especially if you could get paid for it).  If anyone
is interesting in doing this, then call your local station and ask
for their promotions director.

Let me know if anyone likes this idea (or maybe someone has
already done it?)

Richard

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:29:05 -0600
From: "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_millcomm.com>
Subject: RE: Craig radio display

I looked into remanufacturing the flex circuit a few
years back.  All Craig raido flex circuits will fail
if you use the tape deck.  There are no exceptions.
The technology in flexible cicuits in 1977 (which is
when that radio was developed) really didn't support
the application.  The radius of the bend is too small,
the amount of the bend is too great, and the interior
of an automobile is too harsh for the materials used.
Strength isn't the problem, flexibility is.

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:29:07 -0600
From: "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_millcomm.com>
Subject: RE: Insuring a Delorean?

Kevin - That's what it sounds like to me.

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:41:25 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: What do you use to clean and protect your interior?

I have had suggestions from people to use all different products to clean
and protect the leather, and interior of my new DMC.  I was wondering what
most DMC owners use?

I was told to use Luxol Leather cleaner and conditioner (two separate
products) on the seats, and armor all for everything else (dash, trim,
etc...)

Kevin Abato
VIN# 16680  Plate:BCKNTYM

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 14:41:36 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

Richard Carpenter of the Carpenters had two of the D's back when.  He has a car
collection and probably still has them.  There was a profile on Karen Carpenter
on TV a week or so ago with a DeLorean in the background and the two of them
standing in front of it...I felt like a bird watcher with his first sighting.

Les

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:53:44 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake lite- was "First Problem!!"

In a message dated 3/16/01 11:30:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

<< make sure the carpeting isn't interfering with putting the lever all
 of the way down).  >>

 On the way down, the rubber boot on the handle can snag against the carpet,
causing the handle to lift back up just a bit... enough to trigger the light.
 You can adjust the switch, but it made me wonder if I might over adjust and
defeat the purpose of the warning light. So I always just give the boot a
slight clockwise twist as I put the brake lever down, so the leading edge of
the boot points towards the low edge of the carpet where it won't snag,
rather than the high edge on the left, where it will snag. Works for me.  :)

Wayne A. Ernst
The New DeLorean Manuals Project

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 18:02:44 -0600
From: Mark Noeltner <mark_at_dml_buffalochips.org>

I use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner for the seats and really like it,
but for the rest of the car I use a product from the same company called
Vinylex. I really don't like ArmorAll. I find that vinylex does a better
job and doesn't feel as greasy. Plus it has a UV inhibitor to protect the
interior from sunlight.

http://www.lexol.com/

Mark N
VIN 6820
Plate:  BKNTIM3

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 19:42:16 EST
From: fjk143_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Three Gold DeLorean cars.

There is a fourth gold car.  According to a fellow Ferrari / Porsche collector a friend of his had a standard stainless car turned into a gold one by the "traveling gold plating franchise people".  We have all seen the gold plated emblems and Mercedes stars on the big Caddys, Lincolns, etc.  Apparently, it can be applied to the DMC panels and cost only about $8,000 a few years ago.  Can I verify this?  No.  Have I seen it? No.  But my source is a trusted one and I belive what he says. He has seen it.  The car is in New York/New England, btw.

fjk143
6894 (in the loving hands of Steve Wynne and The DeLorean Motor Company in Houston for restoration after 9,000 original miles and the much anticipated addition of 70 more horsepower, maybe 100 more - we'll see)

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:39:03 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: OEM tire jack

Has anybody used their OEM tire jack,to change a tire,or should it
just be kept for orignialty,as it is a very funky type of jack,and
does not look to steady expecially for changing a rear flat.If I sell
it on Ebay what is a reasonable asking price.

Claude

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:49:34 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Frank Russo of Zilla

Frank asked if I would spread the word that time constraints are
preventing his monitoring the list on any kind of regular basis and that
if you wish Zilla input, please go to deloreanparts.com where monitoring
is done on a daily basis.

Les