From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 462
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2001 9:57 PM

1. Re: What do you use to clean and protect your interior?
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net>

2. Re: OEM tire jack
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

3. Re: OEM tire jack
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Insuring a Delorean?
From: "Patrick Cowan" <LilRedCivic_at_dml_cox.rr.com>

5. Trouble Shifting into Reverse and acceleration
From: "Ed Garbade" <garbadee_at_dml_bigfoot.com>

6. Welders
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

7. Re: OEM tire jack
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

8. Britfest 2001 in NJ. Any DMC owners going?
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

9. Re: Britfest 2001 in NJ. Any DMC owners going?
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

10. Jack Point Covers
From: SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: Jack Point Covers
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

12. Steering column wisdom, please!
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

13. Radio Wiring
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Jack Point Covers
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

15. Re: Delorean Engine Upgrades
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>

16. Re: Trouble Shifting into Reverse and acceleration
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Welders
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

18. Re: Trouble Shifting into Reverse and acceleration
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

19. Noisy fuel pumps revistied
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: OEM tire jack
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

21. Charlotte NC Area Owners
From: reuterconsulting_at_dml_yahoo.com

22. Re: Trouble Shifting into Reverse and acceleration
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: What do you use to clean and protect your interior?
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

24. RE: What do you use to clean and protect your interior?
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

25. RE: Britfest 2001 in NJ. Any DMC owners going?
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:44:07 -0500
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_netunlimited.net>
Subject: Re: What do you use to clean and protect your interior?

Kevin,

The Lexol products are the top of the line for leather care.  What ever you
do, don't use Armor All on anything!  Just a few applications will cause your
vinyl to crack sometime in the near future.  Use a vinyl protectorant that
doesn't contain silicone.

Bill Lane
# 3635

Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 20:51:44 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Re: OEM tire jack

Made for the car, works well and stows well but if you're selling your jack,
how much for your spare tire : -)

Les

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 05:01:24
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Actually, I have use my jack for its intended purpose a few times with good
results.  Follow the directions for a functional "uplifting experience".  :)
      What I would like to get my hands on, though, is an ORIGINAL jack for
a 1938 Buick.  I understand they weren't worth a flip, thus owners tossed
them for one that did a proper job.  I want one for originality sake.
Drive Stainless    Robert  VIN 6924

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 00:55:27 -0500
From: "Patrick Cowan" <LilRedCivic_at_dml_cox.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Insuring a Delorean?

Stated Values-

Pros and cons...well, the state of virginia goes on STATED value for
taxes...which is almost ALWAYS higher than book. my insurance does the same
stupid thing, so i pay more for my insurance than that stupic honda is even
worth. I mean, this may be a different case for a D, but sometimes,  it can
be a better solution. If your car is worth more by ACTUAL CASH,  your
insurance could be lower, but the benefits arent as great...

Patrick Cowan

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 00:56:05 -0500
From: "Ed Garbade" <garbadee_at_dml_bigfoot.com>
Subject: Trouble Shifting into Reverse and acceleration

Well, I'm a brand new owner (as of 3/11/01).  My immediate concern is I am
having a great deal of difficulty getting my 5 speed into reverse.  I know
it says lift on stick to put in reverse, but that doesen't seem to make any
difference.

Another issue is acceleration.  There seems to be a point at which the drive
train "shifts" into a performance mode.  I can't seem to relate this to any
specific gear and/or RPM range. Basically the car performs a little
hesitantly at lower RPM then at some seemingly random transition point there
seems to be a great deal more power.  Is this normal?

As a side bar, the shipping company decided I no longer needed either the
upper or lower engine covers (upper (louvers) is gone, lower has major
damage).  If anyone has these parts available (hinges included) let me know
price.  Would neet to ship to Charleston, SC area.

Glad to be part of "D" Family.

Ed

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 10:13:54 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Welders

Can anyone recomend a good basic welder? I need it to repair some
Tranny mounts and other misc things on my Delorean. Recomend using
MIG or Stick? I've seen MIG welders on Harborfreight.com manufactured
by Chicago Electric for $249.00, anyone ever used this or know if
it's decent?

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:19:14 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

The jack works fine for lifting the car. But after almost 20 years
the threads and the jack overall need to be lubricated. Even if you
never use the jack, it's good to keep it in the stowage compartment
anyway since it helps add weight up front. Not much I know, but every
little bit helps...

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 07:40:00 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Britfest 2001 in NJ. Any DMC owners going?

The 2001 Britfest is scheduled for May 5th at Horseshoe Lake Park,
Succassuna, NJ.  Are any DMC owners going?  It was on the list of events for
last year on the MidAtlantic DMC club, but their web site has not been
updated for this year as of yet.
Just wondering.  I would like to go (since it is about 5 minutes from my
house), but I am hoping to see other owners there.

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:31:16 EST
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Britfest 2001 in NJ. Any DMC owners going?

Kevin,
  I did not receive the information for this years show.  If you have it send
it to me.  I am sure we could get a group to attend.  Also keep a check on
the web page below for Mid Atlantic and DeLorean Events in the region.  It is
updated more periodically.

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/delorean31/dma.html">http://hometown.aol.com/delorean31/dma.html</A>

Gary Gore
Activities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic
VIN 3360

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:37:47 -0000
From: SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Jack Point Covers

Yesterday, I attended a parade in San Diego with my Delorean and two
others.  It was the first time that I had a chance to see other
Deloreans up close with mine.  While mine only has 10K miles on it I
saw that the other two had "covers" over their jack points.  These
covers were black and made the car more attractive to view from the
side.

I have checked all of the suppliers and I do not see the part
muchless how to order it.  Does anybody know anything about these?

Lastly, one of the other cars was missing the "nut covers" that go on
the windsheild wippers.  Does anyone know where one could secure this
part?

Thanks,

Scot

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:46:19 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Jack Point Covers

Those aren't jack point covers - they cover the outer seat belt bolts.

I believe those and the wiper nut covers are available from the usual
suppliers - try a phone call. Sometimes these minor cosmetic parts
don't show up in the online databases, but when you call they'll know
what you mean.

Dave

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:10:25 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Steering column wisdom, please!

Does the telescoping take place in the top unit?  If so, can it be lubed
and if so , how?  If not there, where?

Thanks, Les

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:44:00
From: "Stian Birkeland" <dmc_norway_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Radio Wiring

I need some advice for the wiring of my new car stereo (Sony).
When I first got the car, it had a defunct Blaupunkt radio/cassette player.
The car plug was long gone. The Blaupunkt only connected with loose wires
straight to the radio.

I purchased an original Craig radio from DMC Houston, and thanks to Ralf
Philipp in Germany I was able to figure out what wires went were. Also, the
car wiring was cut and some wires missing (at least they did not correspond
to the colors!)so I had to get a car plug from DMC Houston in order to hook
everything up to the Craig radio plug.

But: It wasn't easy as some of the wires had been changed or removed
completely like I said. I had to use a plastic "cube" or "bridge" connector
(the ones you put wires in horizontally and fasten them with screws on
top)in order to connect the loose wires from behind the center console.
Anyway, I got it hooked up and working. Loose wires to the car plug and from
there to the radio plug.

Finally, I got tired of the Craig radio and wanted a CD-player in the car.
To make things easy I bought an standard ISO-pin connector for the car
together with the Sony which I believed would be fine.

Now here's the problem I've come across:

There is only one red wire going into the "cube" and two wires going out of
it (red and orange)towards the old car plug. Looking at the colors I realize
that the two wires are the +12V line AND the ignition-switched +12V line.
But they have been fed by just one wire (the red one) Is this supposed to be
this way?

How can this be? I mean, it has worked when I hooked up the old Craig, but I
doubt it will work with the ISO connector which have 2 wires, one for the
12V and one for the ignition-switched 12V line.

The red and orange wires also have the inline fuses, should I keep them?
The sony player has an built-in fuse (10Amp)

>Power supply:
>+12V (continuous)    red
>+12V (switched)       orange
>GND                              black

>The (original) wire colors IN THE CAR was supposed to be:
>
>purple for the +12V (continuous), fused with 5A cable-fuse
>green/white for the +12V (switched), fused with 5A cable-fuse
>black for the supply-GND

Now, neither the purple nor the green/white wires are there. Only one red
wire which I connected to the cube, and from there connected the red and
orange wire coming from the car plug.

I guess I could leave the red wire connected to the cube and cut the wires
after the inline fuses, but the main problem remains - Are the 12V and 12V
ignition supposed to be on the same wire? Or am I missing completely the 12V
ignition wire?

Please help!

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
NORWAY

VIN # 06759

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 09:01:27 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

DMC Houston lists the wiper arm nut caps, in stock, about $1.79 each.

Les

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:59:54 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Engine Upgrades

Search engines on US web sites do not necessary search Ireland and the UK.
You need to use versions for those countries.

For those of you interested in v-8 possibilities, check out these engines.

http://www.v8developments.co.uk/dynograph.htm

Bob

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:25:13 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 3/18/01 8:08:44 AM Central Standard Time,
garbadee_at_dml_bigfoot.com writes:

> Well, I'm a brand new owner (as of 3/11/01).  My immediate concern is I am
> having a great deal of difficulty getting my 5 speed into reverse.  I know
> it says lift on stick to put in reverse, but that doesen't seem to make any

i had a little trouble with this the first couple days too. you just have to
get used to it.  try this: grab the stick and pull it STRAIGHT up as far as
you can. it will go about a centimeter or so.  then with it still up, pretend
you are shifting into second - move the stick all the way to the right, then
all the way back.

also try this: first you must depress the clutch and get the car into
neutral. then lift up the clutch and put it in again, THEN try the above
procedure.  the car doesn't like to shift into reverse unless you depress the
clutch twice, seperately. maybe it's a safety feature?

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:03:47 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Welders

A stick welder (arc welder) or "buzz box" is the cheapest way to go.
It will require some technique and is limited in the materiels you can
weld. The next step up is MIG or Metal Inert Gas. It is more expensive
but can weld a wider range of metals even stainless with the right gas
and filler wire. It is reletively easy to set up and weld even for an
inexperienced welder. The final level is TIG or Tungsten Inert Gas.
This is the most expensive and requires the highest level of skill.
Don't leave out the most versitile of all and a very cheap way to
start, Oxy-Acetylene or gas-welding. It can teach you the basics of
welding and is very useful for cutting metal and losening bolts. You
can also weld cast iron which really can't be done well any other way.
Every shop usually has a gas outfit because there are so many things
you can do with it. I recomend starting with gas welding and then if
you are serious moving up to MIG. There are many safety issues to
address with welding so don't skimp on safety equipment like welder's
goggles, gloves, fans, etc. Find a welding supply house that sells
compressed gases in your town and they will teach you and help you
select what you will need. Another source for welding equipment is
Eastwood or any large car swap meet. They usually have venders selling
welding equipment and supplies. They give live demos and will teach
you how to use the equipment. If you are serious about working on
cars, welding is a good skill to learn just don't skip the safety
part.

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:11:11 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

The shifting problem is likely just an adjustment and lubrication
issue. The acceleration problem may indicate just a tune-up is
required. It doesn't sound too serious but if you cannot find someone
who is familiar with Deloreans they could make these problems worse.
You might want to contact DMC Joe, I think he is the closest to you
and have him check it out. While you may have to travel a little he
could fix in 10 min what someone who isn't familiar with the car
either can't do or would try anyway and screw up.

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:53:45 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Noisy fuel pumps revistied

Group, Saturday I had time to experiment with fuel pumps: I replaced
the fuel pump I was running due to a little noise. Not much, but more
than I wanted. I did what DMC Joe said and checked the lines making
sure thay were not rubbing the body, I checked the tubes in the tank
like David said to make sure nothing was kinked or binding. With two
other pumps other than what I had in the car I got different sounds
from all. So, I went with the lesser and cruised the West End in
Dallas,Deep Ellum and several other car places. After about 2 hours
of continus starting and stopping, heating up and cooling down, The
pump I have on now is very quiet. It's the one called for in the
Bosch catalog for the car. You can buy different versions of it, but
the one that was the quieter for me was the Bosch 0-580-254-984. I
have to touch it to make sure it is running. If this is anything to
gage anything off of, maby this will help.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:20:26 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Claude, The oem jack seems to be adequate for the emergency changes,
but that's about it. Never trust getting under the car with it.
You might even want to carry around a couple of 1x4x12" for a better
footing incase your ever on the side of the road in soft ground. This
has happened to me and I couldn't jack up the car.
John Hervey

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:01:20 -0000
From: reuterconsulting_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Charlotte NC Area Owners

I was interested in starting up a club in the Charlotte NC area.  If
anyone is interested, or would just like to get together for "Shop"
talk helping one another with our cars, or even going for a drive one
weekend please let me know.  I know there are some folks around this
area as I keep hearing people say they say me driving down the
road......and I know it was not me!  I have even seen several
Deloreans myself driving around town.  E-mail me or call me at (704)-
821-0464 and lets see if we can get something together.

Roy Reuter
reuterconsulting_at_dml_yahoo.com
vin# 3172

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:09:42 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Ed,
Welcome to the world of De Loreans. I to had the problem with
shifting when I bought my car about 4 years ago. After cleaning,re
lubricating and adjusting linkage it all worked out. I also noticed
that if the linkage isn't adjusted just right the edge of the shifter
boot could get in the way. You may also want to lubricate the pivot
bolt which is under the car in the frame and part of the shifting
linkage, it probably hasn't been touched in years.
As to the parts you need, I have a friend in N Carolina who would
have the parts. If you will email or call my 800 # 9-5 m-f I will
give you his number.800-413-3300.
John Hervey
Dallas/Forney, Texas
dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
www.specialTauto.com
web site.

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 00:29:36 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Kevin, I also use Luxol products on my cars and try to stay away from
anything that has a lot of water like ArmorAll. It's ok for tires and
such but I just don't like it for the inside. Texas heat gets up real
high in the cars so I use Luxol, Mink oil when I can find it and I
mix sun tan cream with a high spf # with it for the dash. Worked for
me so far.
John  Hervey

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:36:12 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Is vinylex silicone based?

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:38:18 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

Thanks Gary!  I actually found your updated page after I posted the other
message, but noticed that there was not any info there on the event.

Here is site that I found the information on for britfest 2001:
http://www.triple-c.com/services/event70.htm.htm