From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 487
Date: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 8:32 PM

1. Typical discharge rate for a stored battery
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

2. RE: A new DMC owner with a problem
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

3. Re: A new DMC owner with a problem
From: "Richard W. Schauer" <rws_at_dml_enteract.com>

4. Re: A new DMC owner with a problem
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

5. Re: A new DMC owner with a problem
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

6. Re: fuel pump access
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: fuel pump access
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

8. Re: fuel pump access
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: Cold engine performance problem
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: signal bulbs and fan motor
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

11. Lookin' for lug nuts
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

12. Re: Re: Cold engine performance problem
From: "Ed Garbade" <garbadee_at_dml_bigfoot.com>

13. Re: fuel pump access
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

14. Car Show In Northern NY
From: "Jack & Virginia Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>

15. Re: Typical discharge rate for a stored battery
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>

16. DeLorean for sale in upper midwest
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Typical discharge rate for a stored battery
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

18. Steering Column Cover
From: Willie Mack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

19. Re: Typical discharge rate for a stored battery
From: patrickdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com

20. oil plug socket
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com

21. Interviews_at_dml_DMCNEWS?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

22. RE: Interviews_at_dml_DMCNEWS?
From: "Wright, Ryan (LW)" <Ryan.Wright_at_dml_lambweston.com>

23. RE: oil plug socket
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

24. Re: oil plug socket
From: "dmc1982" <dmc1982_at_dml_email.msn.com>

25. Re: oil plug socket
From: Dmcjal_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 15:18:56 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Typical discharge rate for a stored battery

The Golden rule to remember about automotive batteries(lead acid
batteries)is that they discharge at the rate of 1%(one percent)(for a
good,fully charged battery)a day,that means that if you let your car
sit for a typical month(31 days)your battery is 31%(thirty one
percent) discharged,after 100 days of sitting unstarted your battery
is 100 percent discharged.It also depends on your climate,the colder
the climate(the lower the temperature) the more CCA's(Cold Cranking
Amps) you will need to crank over your engine,(meaning that a battery
in a cold climate fifty percent discharged may not be capable of
starting up a car) vs someone in a hot climate,their car would most
likely crank over and start even if their battery had been sitting
unstarted (discharged)for 90 days (ninety percent discharged).
Hope this helps,when you go trying to take your Deloreans out of
Hibernation,and the battery is appox.90 percent discharged(90 days).

Claude
000570

To check a battery, disconnect a
cable, charge it up and see if it holds the charge for a day or two
(charges
usually tend to leak off with a bad battery)( Or just take it into a
local
garage they'll usually put a tester on it and tell you, free of
charge).  Try
your meter again and see if it's holding around 12.5 volts or so.

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:36:18 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: A new DMC owner with a problem

Aaron,

Welcome to "Living the Dream" from a fellow Kirkland resident.

Regarding your poor running when the fuel level is low, there have been
several recent posts about the fuel suction line getting soft and closing up
as the fuel level gets lower.  You could also have a leak in the line that
lets air in when the fuel gets below the level of the leak (or while going
around corners as you mentioned).

Feel free to contact me personally and check out the Pacific Northwest
DeLorean Club Website www.PNDC.org.

Gary(at)IN2TIME.com
VIN #5612
www.PNDC.org - Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club
www.IN2TIME.com - Home of the DeLorean Tow Truck

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:04:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Richard W. Schauer" <rws_at_dml_enteract.com>

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com wrote:
> near-full.  After I drive enough to burn off about 4 gallons of fuel
> (leaving 9 in the tank, I think), it stutters when accelerating and,
> if the fuel level is low enough, will die.  I have noted that this
> problem is intensified when taking right turns.  I can accelerate

Your trouble is with the fuel pump, not the fuel level sender.  The pump
is sucking air because something's not right with the baffle/stud/curvy
hose assembly.  (Look at the fuel section in the parts book or go to one
of the D vendor web sites)  My car had this same problem and the problem
was quite obvious after pulling the fuel pump out of the tank- none of the
above stuff was there!  Apparently the stud that's hot-melted into the
bottom of the tank had come loose.  The "fix" for that was to take out
everything that attaches to it and clamp a tiny filter directly to the
nipple on the end of the fuel pump.  It worked great until you turned
right.  It wound up costing me a fuel pump because the pump rotor broke
loose from the armature of the motor, I suspect due to cavitation.

Richard Schauer

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 04:05:32 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

Sounds like the pickup hose that connects the fuel pump to the baffle
has become disconnected. When you take right turns centrifical force
is pushing that gas to the left side of the tank. Since the fuel pump
is mounted to the right of the center of the tank, the intake is being
exposed. And since the pump is mounted  at the front of the tank, when
you accellerate hard, the gas slides to the back of the tank. I'll
e-mail you a write up privately on the baffle.

<SNIP>

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 04:17:13 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

I would look at the internal parts in the fuel tank. Pay particular
attention to the bafffles and fuel pick-up hose. Either the parts are
missing, mispositioned, or old. A soft or kinked pickup-hose or even a
hole could cause your symptoms. The fuel sending unit only controls
the fuel gauge and low light, it has no effect on the operation of the
motor. Drain the fuel tank and be extra careful working around the
fumes. Make sure the tank is VERY clean inside. You will be surprised
at the cost of the pick-up hose. Make sure the bolt is still in the
tank securing the baffle assembly.

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:02:19 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: fuel pump access

Noah,

Most "no hot start" problems are caused by a defective fuel accumulator. If
your fuel pump is the early style (integrated check valve) there is a 10%
chance that this is the cause of your problem. If you have the later style
fuel pump
replace the accumulator.

DMC Joe

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <www.deloreanservices.com>

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 05:01:34 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Mike & Ann Griese" <roscsyl_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> Noah - The sealant
> is probably an RTV type adhesive.  Be sure to replace the sealant
> when you put the cover back on or you might get water in the
> trunk.  >
> Mike

To make life a little simpler,DO NOT USE RTV Sealant it is oil based
and is VERY messy to use,use Siliconized Acrylic Brand Adhesive
Sealant,made by Red Devil,make sure you get the black sealant,it is
WATER BASED,and it is found at any Home Depot Store under the name
Lifetime,it comes in a 10.1 fl.oz tube that you can use a caulk gun
to apply it with,and the excess is easily water cleaned up,same if
you get some on your hands,this stuff is FAR superior,for
watersealing than RTV sealant,and is less expensive(appox.$2.00 a
tube)and can be applied between 0 degrees and 120 degree
temperatures.and has Spec230 performance,I used this stuff on a
windshield that I installed more than four years ago,and as of
today,it is still waterproof.Try it, and you will never go back to
oilbased RTV sealants.

Claude

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:54:55 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Noah, I used a putty knife. I know I'm late on this post. But it has
a flat,hard steel but flexable blade. Also, you can see the new type
of fuel pump ( 957 ) and the built in check valve fuel pump ( 954 )on
my web site. I will be adding more about this later along with new
pictures. I to would replace the accumulator. But: If your not good
on working on cars, you might want a shop to do it on a rack. If you
kink the gas lines your in for more trouble. Not trying to scare you,
but it's a little tough. What part of the country you drive in may
add to the hot start problem. In Texas, With a 100 degree wheather it
can be a problem.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 04:04:13 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cold engine performance problem

Ed, From what your describing, I thing you need a all around tune up.
Plugs, wires, cap, 02 sensor, so on. Has anyone took the dist cap off
and looked inside. Be sure that when ever the 02 sensor is replaced,
that you adjust the air flow mixture after the car heats up. Then go
for a drive to burn off the rich mixture that may have built up on
the 02 sensor. If it gets contaminated, you will have the problems
your describing. Call if I can help.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com
800-413-3300.9-5 m-f.

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 04:51:35 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: signal bulbs and fan motor

Brandon, Bulbs need to be firmily connected in the sockets. If they
are loose, not making good contact, or the contacts are dirty they
are arcing on and off and would cause premature burn out. Try to stay
with the original ones for current draw situation. But, If you know
how to substitute you can get some that draw less current, not burn
quite as bright and will last longer.
John hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:07:12 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Lookin' for lug nuts

'bout half of mine have been all but destroyed by the impact wrench
maniacs.  Too bad they are never punished for the evil they do.  Anybody
have any usable?  At the moment, 3 for $10 doesn't have that much
appeal.  Let me know privately if you can supply, thanks, Les

Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 22:02:32 -0400
From: "Ed Garbade" <garbadee_at_dml_bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cold engine performance problem

Will do the wires and plugs this weekend.  Fuel is fresh.  Water makes it
worse so will check that too.

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 10:56:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: Noah <sitz_at_dml_onastick.net>

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, DMC Joe wrote:

> Most "no hot start" problems are caused by a defective fuel
> accumulator. If your fuel pump is the early style (integrated check
> valve) there is a 10% chance that this is the cause of your problem.
> If you have the later style fuel pump replace the accumulator.

Several people have suggested this. Should have mentioned in the initial
post; the accumulator was replaced at DMC Houston last July when I took
posession, so I would assume (and there's that word again) that the
accumulator is ok. I was going to perform the checkvalve test described at
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/hotstart.htm and see what happened
(unless someone has a better suggestion or warnings of my impending doom).

Noah

"...a gang of Dadaist punks had broken into his car and installed an
expensive stereo."
                _Good News From Outer Space_

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 11:13:41 -0400
From: "Jack & Virginia Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>
Subject: Car Show In Northern NY

I would like to invite any DeLorean owners to attend the Autos On The River
car show in Cape Vincent, New York on Saturday August 18, 2001.  Those of
you who do not know Cape Vincent, we are the last village in the 1000
Islands where lake Ontario and the St Lawrence River meet.  Visit the Cape
Vincent Chamber of Commerce site at www.capevincent.org for more info on our
little village and, www.sacketmansion.com for some nice pictures of my D in
and around town.

Jack & Virginia Stiefel
'81 DeLorean Vin 03461 Aug.1981 NYS Lic:1981 DMC
'97 Red BMW Z3 Convertible 6 cyl, not the baby 4
'99 Ford Expedition 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition
'01 Black PT Cruiser Limited w/Flames

Win FREE Stuff and receive your own FREE email address at
www.sacketmansion.com

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 08:17:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: Typical discharge rate for a stored battery

On Mon, 02 Apr 2001 15:18:56 -0000, Claude wrote:

The Golden rule to remember about automotive batteries(lead acid
batteries)is that they discharge at the rate of 1%(one percent)(for a
good,fully charged battery)a day

My math comes up with a different answer after 30 days because on the second
day the battery is no longer at 100% but 99% and so instead of 1% drain it
is 0.99% drain.  Thirty days becomes almost 74% not 70%, and after 100 days
you are only 63.4% discharged rather than 100%.  In Texas that is a
considerable difference.

Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:22:33 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean for sale in upper midwest

Hey All,

ever since i bought my DeLorean last fall, i've heard rumors about another D
lurking around in the Fargo, ND area (my city).  i know we had a DMC Dealer
here and supposedly there was a guy in town who is an original owner and
still has his car, but it hasn't been driven in many years.

well, i showed my DeLorean at the 43rd Annual Toppers Car Show this weekend,
and i heard the rumors again.  only this time i got enough info from people
to learn the street corner where the DeLorean is at.  Well today i drove over
there in my plymouth (my D is still acting up) and i found the house.  it's a
big old house where a man runs an insurance and financial advice business.
very impressive operation he has going there.  i walked in and asked to talk
to the owner of the residence and i was led into a nice office on the main
floor and met a well dressed middle-aged man.  i introduced myself and began
by saying that i recently showed a car in the Toppers' Show, and his face
immediately lit up and said, ' So you're the other DeLorean owner in Fargo!
i've heard a few rumors myself! '  he told me just read my interview in the
Fargo Forum (newspaper that interviewed me at the show) and with that he led
me out to his garage.  when he opened the garage up, it was a sight that
almost made me cry.  he revealed an early 1981 DeLorean under piles of
furniture and carpeting.  the car is thick with dust and garage grime.  but
sure enough, it was most definitely a DeLorean.  here's the scoop.  he bought
the car new in 1981 here in Fargo.  he had lots of warranty work done on it,
and drove it for about 12 years.  about 7 years ago he just parked the car in
his garage and there it has sat this whole time.

points of interest:
new transmission, automatic, installed under warranty.
probably needs a new shift computer. he had troubles with it.
black interior
VIN# 1157, early '81 with hood lines and fuel flap
one owner

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:13:03 EDT
From: sand131_at_dml_aol.com

Dear Claude:
The 1% per day Rule is interesting But can you tell us where you got it? The
reason I ask is that I disconnect my battery every fall and start the car in
the spring when the battery should be aprox 125% discharged?
Ralph
VIN 1606 since 1985

Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:13:53 -0400
From: Willie Mack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Steering Column Cover

I am in need of the lower half of the black plastic steering column cover,
actually i probably need both halves.  I've looked around and nobody sells
this part.  Has anyone built there own or know how i can replace it?

Thanks
  Willie Mack

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 19:48:31 -0000
From: patrickdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com

     I think we're talking about 2 different things. One is the
battery disconnected and the other is with the car hooked up to it. I
understand there's all types of sizes of car batteries but does
anyone have any long term experience with the car connected? I think
that's what most people would be curious about.

Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 20:00:38 -0000
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com
Subject: oil plug socket

Could someone tell me where to purchase a drain plug adapter?  I like
to be supportive of the DMC Dealers, but $20 for the socket is a
little too much for me, please I need the part ASAP.  I looked at
Menards (just happend to be close to me when I thought about it in
the car) but they didn't have anything.
Thanks for the help

Erik Geerdink

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:01:00 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Interviews_at_dml_DMCNEWS?

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com mentioned in an earlier post that he was interviewed by the
Fargo, ND news paper.

How about a place on the DMCNEWS web site for published interviews of
Delorean owners and there cars?

I would be interested in seeing these published interviews.

Anyone else interested?

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 16:01:37 -0700
From: "Wright, Ryan (LW)" <Ryan.Wright_at_dml_lambweston.com>
Subject: RE: Interviews_at_dml_DMCNEWS?

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: We're always happy to make material available via the DMCNews web page or the DML vault provided that copyrights and other use restrictions are properly observed.]

I'd be interested. I'm just guessing here, but I'm sure if someone provided
a copy of the interview to the people at DMCNews they'd be happy to put it
up.

- Ryan Wright, MCP (ryan.wright_at_dml_lambweston.com)
- Web Operations Analyst
- Lamb-Weston, Inc.

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:29:16 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: oil plug socket

Erik,
Buy a piece of metal square bar stock at Home Depot.  Grind the end so that
it fits in the drain plug.  After grinding to fit, bend the bar into a right
angle.  Now you have your own custom DeLorean oil drain plug wrench.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:38:53 -0400
From: "dmc1982" <dmc1982_at_dml_email.msn.com>

Take a "cheap" 3/8" drive ratchet and grind it to fit the hole. I did this
when I couldn't find my adapter recently and it works better than the
adapter.

Cecil Longwisch

Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:06:48 EDT
From: Dmcjal_at_dml_aol.com

Take a 3/8" drive extension, grind the male end to fit, heat and bend about
1" from ground end (also to fit).  Cost probably $1-2.