From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 492
Date: Saturday, April 07, 2001 9:21 PM

1. project car for sale
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

2. Visiting Australia at Easter
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

3. Re: Of Ground Effects & Two-Toned Interiors...
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Ignition Compensating Resistors/Ballast Resistors
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: lambda question
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Fan speed "3" is gone..
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Fuel Pick Up Hose Substitute.
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

8. DMC in Sea Bright NJ
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>

9. Re: fuel pickup hose missing
From: Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>

10. Re: Fuel Pick Up Hose Substitute.
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

11. A/C Belt
From: Willie Mack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

12. RE: Mid Atlantic DMC Saturday 14, April 2001
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

13. Re: Fuel Pick Up Hose Substitute.
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Trailing arm bolts
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

15. cooling problem
From: paulheymeson_at_dml_thefreeinternet.co.uk

16. GPS in a DMC?
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

17. How many Deloreans?
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

18. Re: Fuel Pick Up Hose Substitute.
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

19. Re: Fuel Pick Up Hose Substitute.
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

20. Temperature question?
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

21. Re: A/C Belt
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

22. Re: cooling problem
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

23. Re: GPS in a DMC?
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>

24. Re: Mid Atlantic DMC Saturday 14, April 2001
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

25. RE: GPS in a DMC?
From: "Jack Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:14:18 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: project car for sale

Hello List,
        I picked up another DeLorean and can no longer keep the project D I
was working on.  I dont have the space or the money to finish the car.  I
worked so hard on it and now it needs to be passed on to another loving owner
that can finish her.  I planned to make this my daily driver at one point but
I bought a Volkswagen for that.  I quickly set up a web-site that has
everything about the car.  I have more into it than what I am asking but I
MUST sell it.  My receipts add up to $4,500+ dollars plus what I paid for the
car.  It needs some work, but you will have a nice machine with a few
thousand dollars and some hard work.  The car is located in Grand Rapids, MI.
 I would prefer that anyone interested comes and looks at the car so they
don't get any surprises   please drop me an email if you are interested.
    I will be gone all day tomorrow(Saturday), I need to get one last ski
trip in.  I will answer all emails when I return.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi3/johndelorean/

#2496-1981 ,5-spd,black int,

Thank You
David

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 12:50:56 +0800
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>
Subject: Visiting Australia at Easter

Hallo Aussie DMCers,

I'm probably going to be visiting Sydney over Easter to buy a classic
motorcycle. Are there any DMCers in or around Sydney who would like to meet
for a pint of XXXX and a DMC chat.

I heard of a car museum with a right-hand-drive DeLorean on show ... is this
in Sydney? Any other recommendations on things to see.

Cheers,            IAN (vin0780rhd in Hong Kong, vin6425 in N.Ire, vin1205
in LA)

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 04:22:45 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Of Ground Effects & Two-Toned Interiors...

deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com writes:
> reference when
> I go to do this to my car...when I get it! : )
>
> Thanks guys,
> Robert G.
Robert,

the 'two tone' was never a real option.  actually this happened because DMC
had leftover parts and sometimes the only kind of car they could make near
the end was a gray interior with black seats (the best combo, in my opinion).
 or, you could just buy a couple seat of different color, and you just did it
yourself!

as for the ground effects - if you get any info on them, let me know.  i've
asked before with little avail.  they are indeed quite mysterious.  they were
never offered by the factory though. i suspect a couple of the dealers went
in on it and had some custom made.  they are very nice looking though.  the
lettering isn't silver - that's just the same stainless steel lettering as
you can get for the back of your car, only they put them on the ground
effects too.  the 'stock' ground effects are just like the rear of the car -
indented and not filled in or anything.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 10:50:45 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Ignition Compensating Resistors/Ballast Resistors

Scott, Yes. Very hot.
John Hervey

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:08:19 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: lambda question

David, Everything that David said needs to be done. Again, The F.V.
will run at at a pre set level 80/20 till the 02 sensor heats up to
send the voltage to the Lambda ECU to change the fuel pressure in the
lower chamber of the fuel distributor via the FV. Only after the car
heats up should you notice the FV slow down. You might have to get
the car out and drive it. Setting at Idle to long may contaminate the
02 sensor and you need to do a burn off. David, When you replaced the
water pump, and had the intake off did you replace the Lambda thermal
switch in the internal water pipe . If it isn't working the Lambda
unit will also tell the FV to run rich. When I replaced my water pump
the other day, I replaced all the components in the pipe. The only
other thing I can think of is the Full throttle switch.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:16:21 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fan speed "3" is gone..

Hank, Since the 4th speed is working ok, that tells you the switch is
working and the voltage feed thru the Circuit breaker is ok, If all
the connections are good then the only thing left is the resistance
wire for the third speed. I haven 't removed one, but normally the
it's mounted on the blower box under the passenger side with two
screws.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_b...> wrote:

> Another quick question:
>
>  My A/C fan only works on speeds of: off,1,2 and 4.  Speed three
does not
> work.  I've replaced the fan speed switch, still doesn't work.
I've swapped

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 07:54:29 EDT
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Pick Up Hose Substitute.

I'd like to back Robert up on this one.  When I made the first attempt to
redo my in-tank fuel system, I needed both the pickup hose and a return hose.
 I did nuy the original pickup hose, but tried to make my own return line.
(Even the metal part of my original was rusted out.)  The replacement return
line I fabricated was a combination of metal line, like the original and
rubber FUEL HOSE from a local part store.  The setup was in the car, (but not
really driven) for about a year when I had to reopen the tank.  THE ENTIRE
OUTER LAYER OF THE "FUEL HOSE" WAS GONE. The middle layer of cord was
showing.   As Robert stated (and I know now) even "fuel hose" is only
gasoline resistant on it's inner layers.  As much as I hate to admit it, the
original parts are the only way to go here.  I have since ordered the new
parts from DMC Houston.

Steve
       VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
       www.angelfire.com/md2/projectdelorean

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 07:10:42 -0500
From: Marc A Levy <malevy_at_dml_dnrc.bell-labs.com>
Subject: DMC in Sea Bright NJ

There is a DMC in Sea Bright NJ at a gas station/repair facility.  It is
a early 81 with a gas flap.  I think the VIN was 1516.

Is the owner on this list??  The car looked to be in good shape, but I
guess the windows were broken because both were wide open and it was
raining!

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 14:27:03 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>
Subject: Re: fuel pickup hose missing

Aaron King wrote:

> First off, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me find he cause of my fuel supply
> problem.  As it turns out, the hose that connects the fuel pump to the baffle is completely
> missing (!), which means the fuel pump is sucking gas directly from the top of the tank.  I
> looked on delorean.com and the part is $91.  Does anyone else know of a replacement that
> does not cost as much?  Will standard fuel line work just as well?

As other people have allready pointed out; the composition of the hose is
different since it has to be able to be submerged in fule all the time and the
hose is bent in a special way.

What you also need to remember is that this is a SUCTION-line;
this puts very different kinds of stress on the hose than would occur on a
PRESSURE-line like the one running to the back of the car to the engine.

Like those before me pointed out; buy the $91,- hose, you'll probably never have
to worry about it ever again as opposed to a standard line that would
deteriorate and fall apart with a very real chance of ruining even more
expensiove parts!

Good luck with the repair,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 13:03:07 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Not to beat this to death, but an important thing to consider is
WHERE the "gone" parts of the hose end up. Sure, some of it is
literally dissolved, but chunks end up in the tiny orifices
of the fuel distributor ($700-1000) and the fuel injectors ($40
ea??). . . . Makes that "official DMC" $95 hose look pretty cheap.

Dave Swingle

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 10:56:24 -0400
From: Willie Mack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: A/C Belt

I have a question concerning the air conditioning belt.  The owner who had
my D before me, put on the wrong belt, it is two big and constantly slips.
I bought the correct belt from Houston.  When i tried to put it on there it
seems like it almost to tight, i have to move the adjustments all the way
in, and it still bearly fits on.  My main question is both of the belts are
hitting the water pump pulley and it is slowly grinding into the belts.  Is
this from someone putting the wrong water pump on?  or am i just doing
something wrong.  The water pump pulley has two slots on it for belts, the
slot closest to the rear is not used, which is why i think its the wrong
pulley.

Thanks for the help,
 Willie Mack

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:21:24 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Mid Atlantic DMC Saturday 14, April 2001

Mike;

The meet is on the 21st.  Not the 14th like your subject line says

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:23:20 EDT
From: jus4sho_at_dml_aol.com

Good Point Dave.  I have one question though.  After the years of sitting, my
original pickup line was just goo.  Are the ones currently being sold a new
material or do they run the same risk (if neglected)?

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 16:37:19 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Trailing arm bolts

Refer to Workshop manual K:01:02 it is the bolt at the left side of
the page where the trailing arm meets the frame. A better picture is
in the Parts manual 5-3-0 fig #25 pn #106883. It is refered to as a
trailing arm bolt in K:05:01 and :02. If you do not know that they
were replaced order new upgraded ones from a Delorean vender. Count
the # of spacers and replace exactly as removed or you will need an
alignment. Loosen the bolt and rotate the head with a wrench, if the
trailing arm moves up and down the bolt is bent and MUST be replaced.
Be sure to torque to spec 55 FT/LBS WITH THE FULL WEIGHT OF THE CAR ON
THE SUSPENSION. If the bolt is bent you may have to slice it up into
little pieces to get it out. On an automatic car you will need to
unbolt the rear carrier on the left to move the trailing arm to clear
the trans.(Don't disconnect the rear caliper, there is enough freedom
to move the trailing arm if you're careful.)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Jerry Harry" <jerryHarry_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> Can someone tell me what these are called in the parts book, page
and number?
> I find all kinds of things that I think would need inspection from
time to time but none are called trailing arm bolts.

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 17:31:28 -0000
From: paulheymeson_at_dml_thefreeinternet.co.uk
Subject: cooling problem

Hello list,

My problem is my fans don't come on anymore.
I have checked everything and still can't get my head round it.
I have tried 3 new otterstat switches and they do nothing,although
the stupid thing is if I jump the wires on the otterstat the fans
work right away,so the rest of the system must be working fine?
When the fans did work they came on just under 220 on the gauge.
Could the gauge be at fault?
The car has the jumper wires with the 2 fuses in the fan relay
sockets and all wiring is fine,also checked fuse no 5,fine.
If anyone can explain this mystery to me I would be ever so gratefull.

Many Thanks.

Paul UK.

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 14:46:32 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: GPS in a DMC?

Check this out!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=575687354&
r=0&t=0
look at the "super sized" picture of the steering wheel and dash....is that
a GPS of some kind on the top of the binnacle?

Kevin Abato
VIN# 16680

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 14:48:43 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: How many Deloreans?

Ok....Here is the common question(s) that I am asked, and I can not answer
some of them:

How many Deloreans were made?  (8,400 or something right?)
How many are still around?
How many are in the US? (Think I heard that about 6,000 were imported into
the US)
Who owns the first/last one ever made?

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 21:10:35 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

I believe that any of them will eventually go bad if the gas gets
stale (years), but the new ones are warranteed for several years, I
believe. They are made of a special gas-proof compound. Best
treatment - either drive your car at least a few tanks of gas a year,
OR drain the tank.

Dave

Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 01:48:19 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

I don't know the composition of the new hose and they haven't been in
service long enough to answer your question. The origional hoses
besides age probably weren't made for all of the additives that are
now in modern gasoline. If you use the car regularly it shouldn't be
problem. Most of the deteriorated parts that I have seen came from
cars that were not used regularly or were stored for extended periods
of time.

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 14:58:02 -0800
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Temperature question?

Fans never come on unless the air conditioner is turned on.  Seems to
run very cool, temperature gauge goes up about a third of the way and
stops, never any more.  Car never smells hot, coolant level is always
a-ok.  I see only a thermostat switch which  most likely has the duty to
turn the fans on if the water gets too hot.  Is that how it works.  Is
it reasonable that the fans never come on during regular operation
without the air conditioning being turned on or might I have a bad
thermostat switch...what's reasonable?

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 18:10:10 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: A/C Belt

In a message dated 04/07/2001 5:08:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wmack_at_dml_vt.edu
writes:

<<  The water pump pulley has two slots on it for belts, the
 slot closest to the rear is not used, which is why i think its the wrong
 pulley. >>

    The A/C compressor belt fits in the belt groove towards the front of the
car. The second groove is not used. Additionally, the A/C bearings should be
changed if they have  not been.
     The DeLorean water pump has one belt grove.
The belt and pulley bearing kit is included in any of the DeLorean vendors
tune up kits.
    In addition, make sure that the belts are correctly installed on the
crankshaft pulley.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack
VIN 3713
DOA 4743

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 22:41:57 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Re: cooling problem

You probably have air in your cooling system.  Is your otterstat above
or below the coolant pipe?  Early models had it on top of the pipe,
and ran the risk of getting air trapped in it, not allowing any of the
hot coolant to actually hit the sensor and trip it.  If it is below
the cooling pipe, then it is possible that you dont have any coolant
in that line in which case you should flush, refill, and bleed the
whole system.  Sounds like everything else is good though.  I doubt
the gauge is faulty.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 18:07:32 -0500
From: Robert Greenhaw <deloreandude_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: GPS in a DMC?

Yes it is...the author even states that in the briefing describing the
car.
Pretty cool to see though!

Later,
Rob G.

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 17:18:01 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

There will be two maybe more coming from Virginia on Friday afternoon.

Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 19:41:02 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>

Yes it is.  I own the same GPS for my truck, it is a Garmon Streetpilot,
mine is color, but there are a couple of different models.  It is a handheld
system that attaches by velcro to the dash. Don't get too excited, it is not
some fancy DeLorean thing, just an everyday ol handheld GPS.

Just kidding, it is a pretty cool toy

Jack & Virginia Stiefel
'81 DeLorean Vin 03461 Aug.1981 NYS Lic:1981 DMC
'97 Red BMW Z3 Convertible 6 cyl, not the baby 4
'99 Ford Expedition 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition
'01 Black PT Cruiser Limited w/Flames
Visit us at www.sacketmansion.com