From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 510
Date: Friday, April 20, 2001 5:14 AM

From: jimilime_at_dml_home.com

From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>

From: Roland Barmettler <roli_at_dml_delorean.ch>

From: "Hotmail" <sheilaridez_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com

From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

From: jimilime_at_dml_home.com

From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

14. Delorean Stuff
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re:missing radio
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

16. Luggage Compartment Seals
From: reuterconsulting_at_dml_yahoo.com

17. Re: thoughts from a new owner
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

18. Washington DC DeLorean get together.
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

19. Connectors
From: "J Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_netusa1.net>

20. RE: Volvo valve in air intake
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

21. RE: Re: Torsion bar on ebay
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_home.com>

22. 1981 DeLorean For Sale
From: Chase Clark <chaseclark_at_dml_home.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 05:34:33 -0000
From: jimilime_at_dml_home.com
Subject: I am Jimilime with Items on E-bay

Some guy named Eric had the courage to tell me that a rumor had
surfaced that the items I had listed on ebay may be stolen.  I must
admit I was shocked.  I've delt with car enthusiasts for more than my
adult life.  It amazes me that someone with no will to investigate
would start such a demoralizing rumor.  I feel I've been robbed.  For
those of you that have ever had your house broken into you know what
I mean.  Tonight I listed just about the last of the items I had
left, I see how one would think that all these parts came from the
same car.  The gauge cluster I had showed 14K mile on it, I didn't
know that these parts came from several different cars.  I now see
why DMC owners thought I was parting out a complete car.  The fact is
I didn't know these were parts from several cars.  So rest easy,
another car did not make the "kill list"
What follows is a copy of the e-mail I sent Eric to explain how I
acquired the parts:
Eric,
I have typed up a detailed and full response to your question so you
may put it to rest.  But since this is such a serious accusation I
would appreciate some information of how and where you heard or read
this.
Why would anyone think these parts are from a stolen car?  First the
Majority of the exterior parts are damaged.  Consider how much it
would cost to replace those, more than the car is worth. You can buy
a Delorean that is running with good metal and sell it for more money
if you took it apart.
Example, if this were a stolen car I would have the side marker
lights up for sale, notice the damaged fenders? Do not have them? I
sure they went back on the guys car. Have you seen a console?
Switches? Gas tank? You mentioned the dust; it was the worlds slowest
get away. I admit there is a lot to grasp here for this is a ton of
parts.  I bought it all at an auction from an avid car collector who
had a couple dozen classics including more than a three Deloreans.
He had a guy working full time and bought and fixed totaled cars from
the insurance pool that were fairly new, like today it would be
something like 98 and newer. Buying and selling those newer cars
funded his passion for collector cars. Anyway the guy died like five
years ago. The classics were sold off one by one and the parts and
other odds and ends went up for auction to clean out his warehouse so
the building could be sold.
One guy like yourself wanted a VIN number so he could "Confirm a
kill". I'll tell you the same thing I told him.
The doors have a four digit number hand written on them, which I
assume is the VIN.  Both doors are damaged, mirrors ripped off plus
the damage you see in the pictures. So the guy puts on new doors and
you guys want the VIN from the doors as if that is enough evidence to
call the car a "kill"?  For all I know that car could be a cream
puff in some guy's garage somewhere and you guys "blackball" his car
because a damaged part turns up
James Kirsch

I hope this puts an end to your question as to where the parts came
from.

Good luck with Brandon's game of guessing what parts are in my
photos, Lord knows I don't know what they are.  I did my best putting
things together.  And to the person inquiring about the torsion rod,
yes that's my toe in the picture.
Sincerely, James Kirsch

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:27:15 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Searching www.dmcnews.com

<SNIP> Take a look at http://www.dmcnews.com/search.html. </SNIP>

Google Search is a great addition!!!

Earlier today I had planned to reply to the post about needing a better
tool.

I tried the old search tool to look for "headlight adjustment" (just to
prove how hard it was to find a simple thing).   The old search tool didn't
allow quotes, so I was forced to use "headlight and adjustment" (without the
quotes) and I got about 40 archives that just happened to have the words
"headlight" and "adjustment" in them. I never did find an article on
adjusting the headlights.

I spent so much time looking, I didn't get around to writing the reply.

I just went back and entered "headlight adjustment" in the new Google
Search.  The search returned only one item, and by using the "find" tool I
went straight to an article on "headlight adjustment".

THANKS!!!!

Gary
www.IN2TIME.com

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:51:52 -0400
From: "Michael C. Babb" <michael_at_dml_babbtechnology.com>
Subject: Re: Searching www.dmcnews.com - Works GREAT!

Thanks for adding in this additional functionality.  For those of you that
haven't tried the new search feature that Dave has added with google.com,
give it a whirl.  It's a ton of an improvement over the FrontPage search
functionality.

Michael C. Babb
MCSE, MCT, MCP-I, CNA, CCNA, Network+, I-Net+
mailto:Michael_at_dml_BabbTechnology.com
home: 919.303.0058
cell: 919.270.2488

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:18:42 +0200
From: Roland Barmettler <roli_at_dml_delorean.ch>
Subject: Volvo valve in air intake

Hi folks

I was just replacing a broken hose between the air filter and
some temperature driven Volvo valve. I wondered what the valve
itself is good for, since the engine seems to start and run fine
without it (ambient temperature < 10C). Apparently it's mixing
hot air into the cold air stream.
Perhaps some of you know its purpose more detailed ?

Thank's in advance!

Greetings,
Roland

Roland Barmettler - roli_at_dml_DeLorean.ch - http://www.DeLorean.ch - VIN #11512

Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:09:28 -0500
From: "Hotmail" <sheilaridez_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: CHEAP Delorean for sale!!!

Hi,  my Delorean has been through 3 "guaranteed" buyers.  This is getting
really annoying and a few months ago I lowered the price to $10,500 thinking
that it would sell the car.  Well it is still for sale, there is one guy
"looking" at it, but he's not going to take it.  If you would like a D that
needs a little work and would be an awesome deal, help me get through
college and check it out here:
http://www.classifieds2000.com/cgi-cls/ad.exe?P1+C14+R1046048
Pictures of it with my Fiero can be seen here:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1930/myride.html
Thanks,
Mike Schaefer
El Paso, Illinois

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:22:27 -0000
From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Re: The FOURTH gold DeLorean

   I cannot be 100 percent positive who's car it is, but I remember
coming across a gold DeLorean for sale a few months back. It was in
Maryland. It was not the Texas car, and I don't think it was any of
the two other museum cars. So that makes this one the fourth. I
remember reading in the writeup that it was a custom job to get the
24K gold plating on it, so If this must be the car you are talking
about. I will see if I can find any more info on it.
-Jay

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:58:54 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Torsion bar on ebay

You are right in that it is very important not to scratch or nick the
torsion bar and since it isn't in the car we don't know if it is any
good. What is even more important is that there is a "left" and
"right" hand to torsion bars. If you were to put it on the wrong side
you will also break it so to anyone who buys it be careful! (I'm
bidding on it myself but I won't spend very much on it!)

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:24:42 -0700
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: New archive search engine

Fantastic!  From something that didn't work at all to one of the best
ever seen.  To all of those who thought there was no reason for another
tech list, the reason was very simple, it was impossible to search the
archives and find what you needed to know.  The old "new" search engine
simply did not work.  Thanks to a monumental effort by Dave Swingle we
now have "as good as it gets."

Les

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:55:56 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: thoughts from a new owner

In a message dated 4/18/01 11:42:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
webmaster_at_dml_screen-power.com writes:

>  Within the first
> hour and a half of ownership, I had one guy request a photo with my
> car, a few people drive up to get a closer look, two carloads of
> people shouting in approval ("Woo! DeLorean!" and "Back to the
> Future!"), and more passing rubberneckers than I could count. In just
> the first ninety minutes! I hope I never get complacent about that

And this, my friend, is why we are so unique.
welcome to the world of DeLoreans!!!!!!!!

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:48:19 -0000
From: jimilime_at_dml_home.com

Well Jim,
For everybody's information, I did not DROP the torsion bar on the
ground.  Instead of STRONGLY RECOMMENDING SOMEONE NOT BUY/BID, why
don't you suggest they e-mail me and ask of its condition?
James Kirsch

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:50:28 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Re: The FOURTH gold DeLorean

In a message dated 04/19/2001 1:33:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

<< coming across a gold DeLorean for sale a few months back. It was in
 Maryland >>

The car is still in Maryland. The cars location is 3 hours away from
Washington, DC.
This is the last DeLorean made. The VIN is SCEDT26TD0020105.
It has an automatic transmission and tan leather interior.

The window sticker lists Consolidated International Inc. as the dealership.
The MSRP price was $125,000.00 (Base price for 1983 was $32,832.90 + $625.00
for automatic transmission + $600.00 for USA processing + $90,367.10 for the
gold option)

There were 2 gold factory cars sold through DeLorean Motor Co. & American
Express. There was 1 gold car sold through the bankruptcy liquidators VIN
20105.

Please read DeLorean World magazine Volume 10, number 2; 1993.

    As it has been said by espey & Joe Fedelli, the additional gold plated
cars were sold as original cars, then at the private owners request, gold
plated elsewhere.
    There is a Gold Plating company in Laurel Maryland that advertised they
gold plated a DMC.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack
DOA 4743

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:53:07 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: DeLorean Social

Anyone planning to attend the DMC social near Princeton this Saturday,
driving from Virginia & points south, Maryland, Delaware, etc.?

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:53:00 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>
Subject: Re: Magazine telephone number

Joe,
Back issues, ( UK) 0845 121 4000   email..  emap_at_dml_mercury-international.com
back issues are  3.60 UK   or 5.60 overseas.

Chris Parnham  DOC UK

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:25:16
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Delorean Stuff

I am looking for acouple of things for my DeLorean A set of Grey Floor mats
with the black DMC logo. I was also wondering If any body knows of a parts
interchange list  for the delorean? I need to know what oil filters Fit The
car and if I could go to my local parts store for the louvre struts? Can any
body help me? Thanks, Ryan.

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:08:11 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re:missing radio

In a message dated 4/18/01 3:12:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dsilek_at_dml_email.msn.com writes:

<< someone helped
 themselves to my OLD (read original) radio in my D.  Any suggestions for a
 replacement? >>

I assume you mean an updated one.  Check the dmcnews archives with the new
browser that Dave installed.  (http://www.dmcnews.com/search.html)  The
subject comes up from time to time. If you want an original one, (most would
only want a 20 year old radio for concours purposes,) I'm pretty sure DMC
Houston still has them!

Wayne A. Ernst
DMCTech Group

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:00:04 -0000
From: reuterconsulting_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Luggage Compartment Seals

I recently purchased the luggage compartment seals to replace my old
cracked ones.  Unfortunately the strip of glue on the back is no
longer "sticky" enough to hold it on.  Does anyone have a suggestion
for an adhesive to use?

Thanks,

Roy
VIN# 3172

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:05:35 EDT
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

<<by their rationale, why not buy a "real sports car" with it? That
type of attitude wasn't too surprising to me, but what I hadn't
anticipated was that people's reactions to the *idea* of a DeLorean
are generally very different from their reactions to a *real*
DeLorean.

I have noticed this attitude again and again from people.  They are
very quick to say, "What are you crazy?" and would never help you
in obtaining or maintaining one, but they will also be the first
people to drool like crazy over your car, to ask you a million
questions about it and to be happy that they even know you.  I
guess that's just the nature of the beast:  Most people cannot
appreicate the value of having a DeLorean, but they also can't help
thinking it is the coolest car on the road (which it is by far).

Richard

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:06:01 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Washington DC DeLorean get together.

    While I was finishing the details of the Washington, DC DeLorean get
together, I stopped by a friends car collection to have a good look at his
new Quavle Mangusta. (Tim is one of the USA distributors, and along with
every other Italian car, the DMC sits there)
    The Mangusta, Pantera, and Vallelunga were developed by Alessandro
DeTomaso. Kjell Quavle of San Francisco Ca has revived the name and started
importing the car to the USA. (The initial DeTomaso had a similar fate of the
DMC.)  Who knows maybe someone is crazy enough to revive the DMC.
    The Mangusta are similar in concept to the DeLorean and it is a very good
looking car, just like the DeLorean. Many people in this area confuse the
DeTomaso with the DeLorean.
I guess that is where the question, "does that car have a Ford engine?" comes
from.

    While on tour, Tim said that he has too many toys so he is offering a
1985 Black Maserati twin turbo complete for $500. (five hundred dollars). The
car needs everything that a DMC would need, brakes, fuel, engine work, etc.
The interior and body are in good condition.
    The DeLorean is offered at $45,000. The car has 22 miles, Early 81
without flap, Black, Automatic.
    Both cars sat for approx. 11-12 years.
Please email me privately for more information,

Sincerely,
Mike Pack
DOA 4743

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 06:47:41 -0500
From: "J Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_netusa1.net>
Subject: Connectors

    I've got another question for you. There is a black connector and a white connector towards the back of the engine by the cover that goes over the throttle cable, they are both sort of attached to each other.
the white connector is plugged into another white connector and it seems to go to something to do with
the accelerator linkage under the air cleaner. My black connector isn't connected to anything. Should
it be? What do both of these do? Thanks for the info...................Jason

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:54:52 -0400
From: "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_triad.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Volvo valve in air intake

Roland, you are correct, when the engine is cold the valve allows the air
flow to come from the hose that connects to the exhaust manifold. When the
engine warms up, it closes that path way off and allows cool air in to the
engine. This process allows the engine to warm up faster and prevents icing
in the intake manifold.
Robert Starling
Vin#05252

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:00:31 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Torsion bar on ebay

I agree with James, there's probably no point in commenting
on the condition of his parts on ebay without first consulting him.
I'm sure allot of people on the list have listed things on ebay before
and are just seeking the most efficient way to sell their items.
Making any comments about them being stolen would also be an
unsubstantiated rumor. The DeLorean community is so tight knit,
I highly doubt a DeLorean could be stolen without someone on the list
finding out about it. The rarer a car, the less likely it will be stolen,
mainly
because the limited market for their parts would make it very easy to track
them.
This would explain why the top 10 stolen cars in America are always vehicles
that
sell in the 100,000 volume range. It would be near impossible to track an
Oldsmobile Cutlass's parts.

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:25:00 -0500
From: Chase Clark <chaseclark_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: 1981 DeLorean For Sale

Thanks to the DMCnews list, I was able to purchase an early production
1981 DeLorean and use it as a daily driver for three years. However, I
now which to find a new home for the vehicle as I never seem to have
time to baby it and drive it anymore. The car is being offered at only
$6,000 and is located in Columbia, Missouri. For complete information on
the vehicle, view my web site at
http://members.home.net/chaseclark/MyCar.html. I can be contacted via
email at chaseclark_at_dml_home.com.