From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 547
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2001 9:00 PM

1. Re: Reminder - DeLorean Eurofest 2001 - Details
From: 106165.1407_at_dml_compuserve.com

2. The weather at Eurofest
From: "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm_at_dml_home.com>

3. Brake lights???
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

4. Re: Gas Tank Fixes
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Re: Starting problems
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

6. Re: Starting problems
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

7. Re: DeLorean Movie director releases new film
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

8. Re: Air Condition
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

9. better Eagle 3.0 questions
From: jake_at_dml_ragingbull.com

10. RE: The weather at Eurofest
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

11. Re: The weather at Eurofest
From: andrew_tegala_at_dml_hotmail.com

12. more hp, do it yourself - please advise
From: jake_at_dml_ragingbull.com

13. ProjectMadness website
From: danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com

14. Re: Brake lights???
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

15. looking for parts, front lid struts, binnacle, short block
From: jake_at_dml_ragingbull.com

16. Re: The weather at Eurofest
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Reminder - DeLorean Eurofest 2001 - Details
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

18. Hank Eskin?
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

19. Soft alternator?
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

20. Meet Tom Wilson (aka "Biff Tannen") in Shreveport [BTTF]
From: stephen_at_dml_bttf.com

21. Early Automatic for sale FL
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

22. Re: Soft alternator?
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

23. Re: Soft alternator?
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

24. Re: re: EUROFEST
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. Re: Brake lights???
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:21:56 -0000
From: 106165.1407_at_dml_compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Reminder - DeLorean Eurofest 2001 - Details

The registration is already closed for this
and over 200 people have registered.
Regards
John Hanley

Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 20:46:36 -0700
From: "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: The weather at Eurofest

This question is for Robert Lamrock or any of the other UK DML-ers and is
probably on the mind of a lot of people who’ve never been to Ireland:  When
packing for the trip, what kind of weather can we expect?

Ryan McCaffrey
#10014
Arizona DeLorean Club

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 00:27:06 EDT
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Brake lights???

Can I get replacement brake lights for the DeLorean at any parts
supply store?  I'm having trouble with one of my brake lights on
the passangers side (the light right next to the reverse light)
and I tried to find a replacement bulb today but was unable to.
It is a "Tungsram" (?) 1057 12volt bulb...do you have to order
replacement LIGHT BULBS from a DeLorean supplier???

Any help would be appreciated...I tried a 1156 12v bulb and it
didn't work.  Is there anything else I can try?

Richard

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 04:52:10 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Gas Tank Fixes

Steve, I can understand your resistance about a new product. Some
people have a natural built in resistance to someting new. But let me
assure you and others that a lot of time went into researching the
hose/tubing. I talked to several manufacturing companies about our
application, the tubing had to live in gasoline. Most recommended a
product called Viton which has been around a long time. It is rated
good in gasoline. I didn't want good, I wanted excellent, Tygon's
Fluran Severe environment is a step above Viton. You can read the
brief specs I posted at:http://www.specialtauto.com/fuelsystems.htm
or you can go to www.tygon.com to read all the specs on this product
and others. It will take care of the high cost and the fuel tank
problems for years to come. This product wasn't even made when the De
Lorean came out. What I liked about it was the temp, 400 degrees F or
204 degrees c, working environment and brittle temp down to -60
degree F and it's resistance to corrosive chemicals and solvents.
Gasoline companies put a lot of chemicals in the tank today that
wasn't used 20 years ago, this is a modern tubing for a modern day
problem. Things change.
John hervey
www.specialTauto.com

   --- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., srubano_at_dml_o... wrote:
> The use of a straight fuel line hose in the gas tank for the fuel
> pick up line is not recommended. Because the hose needs to bent at
> certain points this will cause a restriction. Even though the hose
> does not seem kinked, it will over time. Heat and just the plain
Fuel

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 01:55:29 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Starting problems

Steve,

Because you say that half of your injectors are spraying, and the other half
are not while attached to the fuel distributor, maybe you have a problem in
the fuel distributor.  Have you tried hooking a known spraying injector to a
fuel line where another injector previously didn't spray?  If the problem
follows the injector, then that would indicate that you have some bad
injectors.  If a known good injector will not spray on a line where another
injector failed, then that could indicate a bad fuel distributor.  The only
other explanation that I can think of is that perhaps your fuel pressure is
barely high enough to open just some of your injectors.

What is the most common failure mode of the control pressure regulator?  I
think that normally when they fail they allow too high a fuel pressure to
the injectors.  Is this correct?

Also, you said that pressing on the air meter flap increased the fuel spray
only for a short time.  Y'all correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't pushing on
the air meter flap supposed to increase the fuel flow for the duration that
it is pressed?  If this is the case, then it sounds like this is more
evidence that something is amiss in the fuel distributor.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:49:29 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Starting problems

Now it does seem like it is a fuel system problem! At this point I am
guessing that the primary contol pressure regulater on the side of the
fuel distributer is stuck open and is dumping the pressure back to the
tank. You can either take it apart and clean it or wait until you get
a pressure gauge to confirm this. When the engine is cold and first
starts up it is running mainly on the cold start valve (think of it
like a choke) so you should also check that system but if you don't
have enough pressure that won't be operating correctly either. You
will have to find the correct setting for the mixture screw by trial
and error once you get it to run a little.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., srubano_at_dml_o... wrote:
> All my timings are correct. If I spray a small amount of starting
> fluid into the intake the engine will start right up and idle for a
> second then die. That rules out any timing issues and/or ignition
> problems. I am very familiar with engine timing's and such. The
Bosch

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:54:44 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: DeLorean Movie director releases new film

    When I was an undergraduate student the two infamous film makers were the
subject of a documentary film course. Of course I introduced the DeLorean
film to my fellow class mates.

    There are two versions of the film Startup. The first film was produced
by WGBH TV Boston. The producer was Learning Corp. of America. The film was
available to Colleges and Universities for a discussion of entrepreneurship
and starting a complex business. There were 12 films in the Startup
series...Levi's, Purdue Chicken, DeLorean, etc.
The footage for this film was taken from Daniel McGaulley's DeLorean film.
After DeLoreans arrest there was a part two of the DeLorean Startup film,
titled "Follow up to the DeLorean Startup."  This film aired on PBS stations.
    The second film Startup is about the rise and fall of an Internet
e-commerce company.

I own the Startup and DeLorean film. Has anyone ever seen the Follow up to
DeLorean Startup?

Sincerely,

Mike Pack
DOA 4743

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:41:04 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Air Condition

Try upgrading the 2 circuit breakers in front of the fuse block. 1 is
for the cooling fans and the other is for the heater-A/C fan. If you
still have the origionals this is a very common symptom.

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:49:43 -0000
From: jake_at_dml_ragingbull.com
Subject: better Eagle 3.0 questions

well i did what i should have done first and scoured the archives for
hours to find out some things, although i am still not entirely clear
on all the steps, i'm hoping one of the experienced experts can make
a list of sorts of the steps involved

with a stock D and a bad block what do i have to do to change over to
the 3.0l engine?

what i have on the line is an Eagle 3.0, (even firing) its a complete
set up including intake manifold, injectors, and throttle body. It's
Renault made multiport injection system (Delorean has a continuous
Bosch K jetronic) But I don't have any other wirings or ECU.

where do i go from here?

1)swap lower crankcase and oilpan,
2)?
(what about ECU fuel injection, ignition, accessories (a/c) etc.)

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:02:15 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: The weather at Eurofest

According to the web sites I have been checking, It is on the cool side.

40F - 60F Deg Range.

REMEMBER TO CONVERT!

4C = 40F
15C = 60F

See: http://www.ireland.com/weather/cities/belfast.htm

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:06:36 -0000
From: andrew_tegala_at_dml_hotmail.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Ryan McCaffrey" <ryanjm_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> This question is for Robert Lamrock or any of the other UK DML-ers
and is
> probably on the mind of a lot of people who've never been to
Ireland:  When
> packing for the trip, what kind of weather can we expect?
>
> Ryan McCaffrey
> #10014
> Arizona DeLorean Club

Go to www.weather.com

Enter Belfast in the City section of the Local Weather Guide on the
left. Then you will be given a 10 day outlook.
As another 'UK DML-er', I am afraid the outlook for the first two
days is not that good!

Regards,

Andrew Tegala
andrew_tegala_at_dml_hotmail.com

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:59:17 -0000
From: jake_at_dml_ragingbull.com
Subject: more hp, do it yourself - please advise

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: There has been a lot of discussion in the back issues on HP inceases and there is generally no free lunch to be had. However, those that have experience with the DMC upgrade might be able to shed some light on their experiences.]

so, since i am looking at about 3k to get my engine right, does
anyone know whats involved in the 200hp upgrade from Delorean Motor
Company in Houston TX. i figure if the engine is going to be out
anyway, i'd like to get more performance, i know they quote about 6-
7k for the work, and if i could do the same work for a bit under and
not have to ship cross coast, it seems to make sense, 3k - no gain 5k-
200hp seems the way to go to me.

jake

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:39:00 -0000
From: danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: ProjectMadness website

All,

Just a quick note...

My website is now up and running (actually has been for a couple of
weeks) and I am starting to update it more regularly.

For those unfamiliar with myself and "maddie"... take a look!

www.projectmadness.com

Dan Willis
UK - Member 101
Vin#5641 "Maddie"
Oct. '81

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:52:15 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake lights???

In a message dated 5/17/01 10:01:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com writes:

> Any help would be appreciated...I tried a 1156 12v bulb and it
> didn't work.  Is there anything else I can try?
>
> Richard

Richard,

first you must determine if the problem is a broken light bult or something
in the circuitry.  the first one is easy - just replace the bulb with a bulb
that you KNOW works from the other brakelight.  if it works, then it's the
bulb, if not, then it's the circuitry/wiring.  put a good bulb in and wiggle
it around a little bit and see if it comes on.  if it works intermittently,
you need to get a penetrating spray like WD-40 or my personal favorite,
TriFlow, and spray down the contacts where the bulbs fit in and wipe them out
really well.  corrosion has a way of building up in there. while you're at
it, do this to ALL of the sockets while you're in there.  check the wiring
harness on the board for proper installation, maybe clean that up a bit.  i
bet this will fix your problems!  by the way, any decent auto parts store
(Napa, checker auto) should have the bulbs.  just ask a salesperson for a
crossreference.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:00:51 -0000
From: jake_at_dml_ragingbull.com
Subject: looking for parts, front lid struts, binnacle, short block

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Parts are available from the common service centers. For those selling parts privately, please respond to Jake directly.]

anyone selling?

jake

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:33:14 EDT
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 17-May-01 4:01:37 PM GMT Daylight Time, ryanjm_at_dml_home.com
writes:

> This question is for Robert Lamrock or any of the other UK DML-ers and is
> probably on the mind of a lot of people who´ve never been to Ireland:  When
> packing for the trip, what kind of weather can we expect?

  We have had warm sunny weather over the past couple of weeks but now it's
very wet and cooler.  The long range forecast is reasonable.  Folks coming
from a hot climate will probably feel it cold.  The max temperature today was
14 degrees centigrade with heavy showers.
I suggest you pack pants, sweater, and rain proof coat.  It is still a little
early to predict what the weather will actually be like.  Hope this helps.

Robert Lamrock
Eurofest 2001

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:46:56 EDT
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 17-May-01 8:03:23 AM GMT Daylight Time,
dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com writes:

Registration for Eurofest 2001 closed over a week ago.  There ain't any more
places available - sorry.  Please disregard any reminders.
Thanks,

Robert Lamrock
Eurofest 2001

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:04:44 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Hank Eskin?

Sorry to use the list for this, but my laptop was stolen last night and I
need to reach Hank Eskiin...call me at the office in Houston or shoot me an
email, please! Thanks!

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Thu May 16 20:04:01 2001
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Soft alternator?

I've been watching my alternator... lately it's been dropping below the 13v when at idle and AC is on. It's the 90 amp Motorola model. It's leaked some clearish plasticy stuff... melted insulation or something?

I leave everything else that I can off and just use windows for a breeze when I can. Of course, when I need the AC is when I'm at the stop light idling and don't have a breeze, and that's when the alterntor performs the worst.

At first, it was just the discrepency between the gauge and the volts measured on the alternator. I even replaced the fuses for dash services and AC stuff, hoping it was poor contacts. I tightened the belts last night and did many different tests with it idling in the drive way, out of gear.

The end result is that with just AC and fan on 3 or 4 it drops to about 12.3v, and with radio and lights on it barely hits 12, and sometimes 11.9v. That's measured right on the alternator with my trusty digital multimeter.

So, I need a new alternator for full enjoyment and peace of mind, right?

Will this also help lessen the drag the AC system places on the engine performance?

I know there is the fanzilla that is to help with the performance... but what exactly does it do for all that money? Alternatives? (I'd like to save some money for suspension work this summer)?

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 20:30:06 -0000
From: stephen_at_dml_bttf.com
Subject: Meet Tom Wilson (aka "Biff Tannen") in Shreveport [BTTF]

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: This is not an invitation to start a BTTF discussion]

Not trying to start up a BTTF discussion, but I hope the moderators
will allow this to pass through to the list for those who may be
interested.

Actor Tom Wilson, who portrayed "Biff Tannen" and all his
incarnations throughout the "Back to the Future" film series will be
making a rare convention appearance in Shreveport, Louisiana at the
Hollywood Expo and Toy Show on June 30 and July 1, 2001.  He will be
on-hand to sign autographs for fans in the BTTF.com booth both days.
This is an excellent opportunity for DeLorean enthusiasts to meet one
of the films' stars, so we hope to see a lot of you there.  We will
also have nearly our entire stock of BTTF DeLorean items available
for purchase, including the brand new Corgi 1:36 scale die-cast
DeLorean that will be available in about 3 weeks.

Please visit the www.HollywoodExpo.com or www.BTTF.com for further
information.

Stephen Clark
BTTF.com

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 20:17:13 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Early Automatic for sale FL

Forwarded, no additional info;

Dave S
===================
Saw a listing on AutoTrader.com for the first automatic Delorean,
although I know the first 'engineering use' automatic was VIN...515.
Says it comes with full documentation.  Car looks very good in photo.
Low mileage (4,800) and looks like the exterior is in "as new" shape.

Worth a look.  Maybe a DML member in the area can take a look.
Lauderdale Imports, Ft. Lauderdale, FL  VIN  SCEDT26T1BD000614

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:07:30 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Soft alternator?

Kevin,

A low voltage situation at idle is normal in the DeLorean especially with
accessories on like headlights and a/c.  I have one of John Hervey's 140amp
alternators in my D now, and it is a vast improvement; however, at idle the
system voltage will be less than 12 volts with the a/c on.  A slight
increase in RPM will bring the voltage up to a reasonable level.  You might
try using a smaller pulley on the alternator so that it will turn faster,
but there are limits to how small you can go.

I have seen larger pulleys in aftermarket catalogues to slow the alternators
down for racing purposes.  (The slower the alternator runs, the less
horsepower it takes away from the car).  I would like to do this for the
DeLorean, but... BUT... then you get too low a voltage at idle.  I suggested
designing a two speed alternator a while back, but it quickly got moderated
off the list.  Someone suggested using two alternators -- one that runs at
high RPMs at idle and then kicks off at higher RPMs.  This might be done
with an a/c compressor clutch, but I have more important projects to work
on.  I suggest trying a smaller pulley or a better alternator.  I already
have a better alternator with a somewhat smaller pulley, and it could be
better.  Although I believe that it is the best out there unless John's
newer 150amp alternator is any better.

Ideally, someone needs to come up with an alternator that will put out a lot
of power at low RPMs yet be able to handle spinning at very fast RPMs
without flying apart or taking too much horsepower from the engine.  Some
guys will say that any alternator should handle excessive RPMs and that it
won't take away from the horsepower too much.  If you are one of these guys,
then put the smallest pulley you can find on there.

Food for thought,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 22:12:22 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

Unless your idle gets rough or the engine stalls, I wouldn't worry
about it.  Last fall my meter constantly read around 12 (with the
motorola) on idle with the AC on.  As long as you dont shut off the
engine without allowing it to rise back up (driving the car) then your
battery will keep a charge.  What Fanzilla does is sequentially turn
on the fans one at a time after the AC compressor kicks in.  Then
there is much less of a shock to the electrical system.  Engine drag
from the AC is caused by two sources.  The primary one is the AC
compressor itself.  The other is the alternator, since there is more
resistance to turn it when there is a greater electrical draw.  In the
long run, you're gonna still feel the drag no matter what you do, it
will just wont be all at once with the Fanzilla.  I have no idea what
that plasticy stuff is.  But if your paranoid about it, you should get
a new alternator.  Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 23:16:47 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: re: EUROFEST

I have one place left in my car on Thursday coming up from Wexford via Dublin
and on to Belfast, if anyone needs a lift. We're already picking Dan up in
Dublin.

BTW still looking for twenty-somethings for the Friday night! We're got a
gang of ten so far...

ATB

Martin

Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 01:11:51 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Richard, It's always best to use the original, but new bulbs that
draw less current could be available at the local stores. As long as
it is 12 volts and has the same pin/base configuration, push/twist
and the same filiment style it should work. If it doesn't then I
would look for a bad connection on the board. If it turns out to be
that, I can fix them.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com