From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 550
Date: Sunday, May 20, 2001 4:38 AM

1. Reminder - DeLorean Eurofest 2001 - Details
From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

2. Unused Relay Socket
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

3. starting up
From: scottymckenzie_at_dml_altavista.com

4. Re: Early Automatic for sale FL
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

5. looking for blower motor and fan unit
From: "carteblanche" <carteblanche_at_dml_franceplus.com>

6. Car wanted for CT event
From: "Bob Rodgers" <bob_at_dml_deloreanmotorcar.com>

7. rust
From: RFLRKV_at_dml_cs.com

8. Re: starting up
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

9. Re: starting up
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

10. Re: starting up
From: knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com

11. RE: Unused Relay Socket
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

12. Re: Unused Relay Socket
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Unused Relay Socket
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

14. Advice for a future owner..
From: Jumper_001_at_dml_hotmail.com

15. Re: starting up
From: scottymckenzie_at_dml_altavista.com

Message: 1
Date: 19 May 2001 16:02:14 -0000
From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Reminder - DeLorean Eurofest 2001 - Details

DeLorean Eurofest 2001 - Details

Date: Saturday, May 26, 2001
Time: All Day

Complete details and registration is available at:
http://www.delorean-owners.org/events/eurofest2001.html

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 03:38:28 -0000
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Unused Relay Socket

Would anyone happen to know what the purpose of the extra
relay socket in the back of the relay compartment was intended
to be? Is it in any of the wiring diagrams?  There are wires
going to it, what circuit are these wires from?

John Yeoman

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 04:06:50 -0000
From: scottymckenzie_at_dml_altavista.com
Subject: starting up

My D doesn't start anymore, it tries to but never gets going.
There is also no noise anymore when i first turn the key to
position 3 i think. I mean that 2 second noise you normally hear
before cranking... it seems like there is a problem with the
engine not getting the fuel?

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 07:15:07 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Re: Early Automatic for sale FL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> Forwarded, no additional info;
>
> Dave S
> ===================
> Saw a listing on AutoTrader.com for the first automatic Delorean,
> although I know the first 'engineering use' automatic was
VIN...515.
> Says it comes with full documentation.  Car looks very good in
photo.
> Low mileage (4,800) and looks like the exterior is in "as new"
shape.

> Worth a look.  Maybe a DML member in the area can take a look.
> Lauderdale Imports, Ft. Lauderdale, FL  VIN  SCEDT26T1BD000614

Vin # 000614 is owned by a list member(or is at least in the DML
Directory),and is a cousin to my vin#00570,meaning it is a pre-
production car(the first "sold" car was vin # 000648)you can read a
article about it at:
it might just be the first automatic Delorean released to the general
public.

Claude
Vin#000570

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:25:27 +0200
From: "carteblanche" <carteblanche_at_dml_franceplus.com>
Subject: looking for blower motor and fan unit

Does anyone as in stock and is coming to Belfast one blower motor with fan replacement unit. Mine make the significant " thud thud thud" and is out of oder.
Please let me know as soon as possible

CyriL VIN 1804

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 15:30:48 -0000
From: "Bob Rodgers" <bob_at_dml_deloreanmotorcar.com>
Subject: Car wanted for CT event

I got an email from Gary Robinson about wanting a local CT car for
display on Memorial Day.  If anyone is interested, please contact
Gary directly.  Info follows.

Is there a NE/New England DMC Club? I couldn't find one, or I would
have directed Gary to there.

Again, if you might be interested, contact Gary directly!

Bob

Robert S. Rodgers, Consultant in Electrochemistry
Research Solutions and Resources
bob.rodgers_at_dml_ConsultRSR.com     http://www.ConsultRSR.com
rsrodgers_at_dml_home.com             http://www.DeLoreanMotorcar.com

New Britain Sesquicentennial Committee
Vision New Britain
185 Main Street
New Britain, CT 06050
My phone number is
860-224-4958
getgary_at_dml_aol.com
The event we are looking to support is our final event on June
9 "Back to The Future" the close of a year long celebration of our
150 birthday.

We would like to have a Delorean for the Memorial Day Parade May 30,
2001 at 5:30 to highlight the June event.

Thanks

Gary Robinson

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 16:32:48 EDT
From: RFLRKV_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: rust

    Any suggestions for removing rust spots left by the previous owner's use
of brillo pads? Also what is effect of acetone on s.steel? What about Naval
Jelly? -help.

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 21:24:32 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: starting up

There are two things that you can check very simply. Make sure that
the inertia switch is still "set". Just push on the top of the plunger
to make sure it is down. It is either located by the counter by the
brake pedal or on the left side by the hood release.  If that doesn't
do it go to the fuse panel behind the passenger seat and check fuse
#7. It should be a 20 amp fuse. Make sure it didn't blow and the
connectors to it aren't burnt. If these quick checks don't do it you
might have a bad fuel pump but you won't know without further
checking.

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 13:36:26 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: The use of gasoline in the engine compartment for diagnosing engine problems should only be undertaken by those who really know what they are doing. You can  harm yourself and your vehicle.]

It is most likely your fuel pump.  Add a couple of drops of gas to the
intake manifold (when you take the air cleaner cover off)  and see if it
runs for a couple of seconds.  Ask someone about what I am talking about if
you feel uncomfortable doing it.

Joseph
vin2850

Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 00:27:54 -0000
From: knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com

I don't see how anyone could possibly make an accurate diagnosis of a
potential problem with a one sentence description indicated by the
author that the car doesn't start. I have no idea how Joseph could so
readily diagnose a fuel pump issue with the information provided.

On both of my cars, the fuel pump does not appear to start running
until the engine is turned over and the first impulse from the coil
is generated. I believe the RPM relay (which probably receives the
same signal as the tach) energizes the fuelpump when it receives
impulses (although the relay does remain energized for a second or
two after the last impulse it receives, and hence you can sometimes
hear the pump run for a moment after you stop cranking, especially
when the fuel level is low), and neither of my cars seem to produce
any fuel pump sound just from turning the ignition on.

I'm interested in knowing a little more about the situation in order
for the readers to be better able to provide some help. When was the
last time the car ran? How has it been stored since then? Oftentimes
I have local club folks that have the same problem you report and
usually it stems from the car having sat with a tank of gas in it
since 1996.

If you suspect the fuel pump is not getting power, then a couple
simple diagnostic tests should clear that up. I think David suggested
a couple initial steps to take in an earlier posting. After checking
his initial items, verify positively that the pump either does or
does not run when the engine is being cranked. Making a diagnosis
without having done any diagnostics seems hasty to me and I expect
such a procedure would generally result in needlessly replacing
working parts on your car.

      Knut

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 17:12:14 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Unused Relay Socket

Hot start I believe.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 02:43:49 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

John, This was the hot start relay, but was never used or installed
in the car.
John hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:37:12 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

John,

    Thats the "hot start relay"  that isn't used in the DeLorean.  I do know
that John Hervey sells them on his web page....www.specialtauto.com.  Its
supposed to make the cold start valve shoot gas in the engine when its hard
starting when its hot.

Later,
Nick
1852
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:02:52 -0000
From: Jumper_001_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Advice for a future owner..

Hey guys!

I remember when I was a kid and I saw BTTF.. I asked my parents about
the car and they mumbled something about an eccentric dude who
designed his own car.. How far from the truth. A couple months ago I
stumbled onto the DMC company site, and I've been hooked ever
since.... I've lose interest in other cars. Any guy can get himself
an old Corvette or Firebird, but nothing beats gull-wing doors and
stainless steel.

I'm only 15, and I was wondering, what are the best things I can  do
to prepare myself for future DeLorean ownership? I live in Vermont,
and have never seen a DMC-12 in person (hopefully that will be
remedied soon) since there aren't many around. I'd be interested to
know how others saved the money to purchase their car, along with
anything else you guys think I should know. Also, if there are any VT
owners out there, I'd be interested in seeing thier cars at some
points.

I'm looking at getting a car that needs a little work and TLC,
because I'm a hands-on sort of guy.. How hard is
matinance/restoration to do on these cars? I've looked at parts
prices and they dont seem too bad for most things..

Anyway, thanks for your advice in advance :)

-Andrew

Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 01:07:34 -0000
From: scottymckenzie_at_dml_altavista.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_i... wrote:
> I don't see how anyone could possibly make an accurate diagnosis of
> potential problem with a one sentence description indicated by the
> author that the car doesn't start. I have no idea how Joseph could
so
> readily diagnose a fuel pump issue with the information provided.
>
> On both of my cars, the fuel pump does not appear to start running
> until the engine is turned over and the first impulse from the coil
> is generated. I believe the RPM relay (which probably receives the
> same signal as the tach) energizes the fuelpump when it receives
> impulses (although the relay does remain energized for a second or
> two after the last impulse it receives, and hence you can sometimes
> hear the pump run for a moment after you stop cranking, especially
> when the fuel level is low), and neither of my cars seem to produce
> any fuel pump sound just from turning the ignition on.
>
> I'm interested in knowing a little more about the situation in
order
> for the readers to be better able to provide some help. When was
the
> last time the car ran? How has it been stored since then?
Oftentimes
> I have local club folks that have the same problem you report and
> usually it stems from the car having sat with a tank of gas in it
> since 1996.
>
> If you suspect the fuel pump is not getting power, then a couple
> simple diagnostic tests should clear that up. I think David
suggested
> a couple initial steps to take in an earlier posting. After
checking
> his initial items, verify positively that the pump either does or
> does not run when the engine is being cranked. Making a diagnosis
> without having done any diagnostics seems hasty to me and I expect
> such a procedure would generally result in needlessly replacing
> working parts on your car.
>
>       Knut
>

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> >
> > It is most likely your fuel pump.  <SNIP>

The car had been working ok for the last month (just got it) and
i have checked the fuse box, there is no #7 fuse there, looks like it
hasn't been there since i got the car (unless it totally melted),
also the spot where the fuse should have been looks fairly burnt
or damaged...