From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 553
Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 5:15 AM

1. Hard Starting.
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

2. 1981 Craig Radio Problem
From: "John Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>

3. Shift Boot
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

4. Re: Life with a head turner
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

5. Re: Relay update instructions unclear?
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

6. Wheel Bearing, Rear, Driver Side
From: shirazcupala_at_dml_home.com

7. Door Seal Style (Early vs. Late)
From: Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl

8. DeLorean in Monterey
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

9. Re: Hard Starting.
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

10. Howdy westerners...
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: 1981 Craig Radio Problem
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:21:58 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Hard Starting.

Recently I've been having a problem with hard starting with the D
when hot. If the engine is cold it will turn over almost
effortlessly. But when hot, it has difficulty starting. If I swap out
plugs to force the cold start valve to fire the engine will start,
but will immediatly start to flood. I've only had this problem
recently start since the weather here hit the 90's. As a quick run
thru, the entire fuel system on my car is less then a year old. This
includes the accumulator as well. Another odd symptom is an
intermidant "ticking" sound from under the intake manifold where the
distributor is at. When I first had the car smogged last year, the
tech heard the noise and thought it might be a bad spark plug wire
causing an arc somewhere. I've since replaced the spark plugs, wires,
distributor cap and rotor (without removal of the manifold or
disconnection of the fuel lines, yes it is possible). Ticking never
did go away, but the car ran ok after that. Now that it's hot again,
I'm having this problem. The hot start relay will help, but not all
the time. If I'm running errands and stop the engine frequently, the
engine will flood sometimes with the relay in place.

I don't think the impluse coil is causing the issue, because if it
was I wouldn't be able to start the car at all w/o jumping the fuel
relay. Although I am curious if this is a sign that the coil may be
on it's way out. The only remaining components of the ignition system
that are original are the inpluse coil, the ballast resistors, and
the ignition coil. Since these parts are now 20 years old, I would
expect them to need replacing. So I was thinking that perhaps the
ignition coil and/or the ballast resistors have become too weak to
start the car once they've become hot. (as a side question, is the
BOSCH red coil compatable with the DeLorean?). As a side note, my car
now runs a bit rougher than it did before. When reving the engine I
can see a little black smoke. Of course the LAMBDA light recently
came on, so I know that I now have to replace the oxygen sensor.

Ideas?

Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:14:06 -0500
From: "John Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: 1981 Craig Radio Problem

Hello,

I just purchased an '81 DeLorean vin#06163.  The "FM" button on the radio does not work (you push it but the radio stays in the AM mode).   Any idea as to what might be the problem?  I ordered the Craig Service Manual hoping that it may have some suggestions in it.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

John L. Rahn
RotorWay A.C.I.S Exec 162F
N818JR

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:22:58 -0000
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Shift Boot

Just wondering, is the top of the shift boot supposed to be squeezed
in between the top of the stick & the knob? Or is it supposed to be
around the top of the stick, not held in place by the nut/knob?

John Yeoman

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 19:11:54 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: Life with a head turner

> Perhaps this story shows yet another DeLorean uniqueness.  The DeLorean
> is the most friendly of all exotic cars.  It turns heads and makes
> people happy at the same time.

I know exactly what you mean.  My town is fairly small, and people smile and
wave at me all the time even if I don't even know them.  I get thumbs up
from other drivers just sitting at intersections.  Maybe the DeLorean just
says something about the drivers personality that other exotic cars don't.
While at a gas station one day, a man in a brand new Porsche 911 turbo got
rather irate when people stopped looking at his car and gathered around
mine.  He then left the station in a fury of tire smoke.  I guess some cars
just turn people in to jerks, personally I love being friendly and answering
questions people have.  I drive my baby every day and I love it!

Just at a curiosity, is everyone else experiencing the phenomenon of
fingerprints appearing all over the stainless after it's been parked?   Oh
well, it's beter than vandalism!

payne
proud owner of #2975

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 12:34:18 +0100
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Relay update instructions unclear?

That's right, Mike. All of customers should know that if they ever have any
questions about a product purchased from us, that they should call us first.
The DML is a good source for information, but to seek out information about
a proprietary product of ours from a non-DMC source invites speculation and
conjecture that, while good-intentioned, may have less than beneficial
effects on your DeLorean or you.

The relay compartment's most DeLoreans today are original, and the
instructions for our relay kit are written as such. However, as many
DeLoreans have been through more than one owner over the years, the
likelihood of modifications to them increase. One area that we see modified
(many times in bizarre ways) is the relay/fuse area. You can appreciate the
fact that it is impossible to take into account every possible configuration
that could have been cooked up by a previous well-intentioned owner/mechanic
over the years.

Our upcoming move is necessitating that all of our instructions, documents,
etc be revised, and based on Ryan's experience, we'll be adding a bit of
text that explains to the user if any of the descriptions or illustrations
do not resemble what is on the users car, that they should contact us
immediately for further advice/instructions.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 01:06:28 -0000
From: shirazcupala_at_dml_home.com
Subject: Wheel Bearing, Rear, Driver Side

As my wonderful luck would have it and after all the mechanical stuff
I've already put into my car the driver's side rear wheel bearing
decided to explode.  Explode was the word my mechanic used.  Anyhow,
I've read a couple posts that say this is an easy job to do and I was
thinking about doing it myself.  I'm curious about how long it should
take me and what is involved?  One post mentioned that a special
press is required.  Is this true?  Where can I find out more about
this procedure and the required tools?

thanks,
shiraz
DMC#2860

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:52:07 -0000
From: Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl
Subject: Door Seal Style (Early vs. Late)

Hello everyone,

The doorseals on my car are starting to rip,
especially now that I'm using the car more often
I can see them break to pieces in some areas.

I was researching replacements, but I found there
are two styles of door seals; the early and the
late style. I have absolutely no idea which style
I have on my car, so i f anyone can give me some
tell-tale signs of either style...

If there was a VIN-breakdown I'm not sure if that
would apply: I've found several things on my car
that shouldn't be there according to its' VIN,
like the pullstraps IN the doors instead of on the
handles...

Your advice would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance,

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

Check out the DeLorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/
--------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 23:22:14 -0400
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: DeLorean in Monterey

Hi folks,
        I just got back from Monterey, California where I took a look at a
DeLorean.  This was the car posted on ebay for a buy-it-now price of
$12,600.  If anyone would like to hear about it or talk with me and my
opinions on it please feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Matthew

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:22:01 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Hard Starting.

The symptom you describe and the switching of the plugs indicate that
the fuel accumulater is probably bad. When you switch the plugs you
will flood the engine if you don't either switch the plugs back
immediatly or shut the engine down. The test is just meant to start,
not run the motor. The ticking noise could be a leaking exhaust gasket
or even a loose intake or exhaust valve. If it is time to replace the
oxygen sensor then it is also time to adjust the valves anyway so you
may fix the noise that way! There have been a few cases where
replacing the 20 + year old ignition coil resulted in a noticeable
improvement, they don't last forever but they don't seem to fail
outright very often.

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 03:30:41 -1000
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Howdy westerners...

Hi. All is good over here in Dublin. I'm at an internet cafe. I met up with
a fellow DeLorean owner; Ryan McCaffrey. He's from AZ. Bed and Breakfast is
ok. Things are kinda different over here. Like the cars... and driving on
the opposite side of the road. Yes, that's right... we rented a car. It's a
little Nissan... uh.... er... something. It's really small, but it's easy to
drive. I still find myself getting into the wrong side of the car to drive.
I always wondered why people over here drive on the opposite side of the
road from us over in the US. And I thought I'd figure it out once and for
all when I made it over here. Well, I didn't. There are NO advantages to
driving this way. It makes no sense to me. I only see disadvantages...
unless you're a lefty and you're driving a 5-speed. (I got the automatic.)

On thursday we're meeting up with Martin Gutowski (from Europe)and we're
hopping in is Xantia and driving up to Belfast. I'll write more next time if
I can. Please don't write me back, as it's not easy to check my mail and I
don't want my mailbox to explode! Hope all is well over there... Be good!!!

---Dan

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:17:25 -0700
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Re: 1981 Craig Radio Problem

John, you don't have a lot of options, if you're looking for a miracle minor repair of some sort the odds against it are pretty good.  Assuming the button springs in and out like the AM it's probably not a switch problem.  Your next hope would be a poor solder connection at the switch circuit
board...not likely.  From there you go to the actual circuitry controlled by the button, again, no miracles likely, it would then fall into the repair category.  Your best option, by far, is to take up the kind offer from Joseph Molino to make you a deal on his pull.

John Rahn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just purchased an '81 DeLorean vin#06163.  The "FM" button on the radio does not work

[moderator snip]