From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 555
Date: Friday, May 25, 2001 4:59 AM

1. Swap DMC w/ Vortec 4.3 for 5 speed
From: at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com

2. Re: Question about on-car spin balancing tires
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

3. Re: Stolen Keys
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

4. Re: Stolen Keys
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. DeLorean known issues
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Weakest Link mention
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

7. Re: Delorean for sale Not Correct phone Number
From: j seigel <wtbstuff_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. DeLorean for sale
From: "Ben" <tahoe98_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Hard Starting.
From: SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com

10. Gray leather seat covers for sale
From: garyg_at_dml_lucent.com

11. Eurofest Update
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

12. Reminder - DMC EUROFEST, BELFAST, IRELAND
From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:57:31 -0500
From: at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com
Subject: Swap DMC w/ Vortec 4.3 for 5 speed

Ok, I just completed my engine swap and I am wanting to swap it for a 5
speed DeLorean.  I thought that when I finished up the conversion that I
would be happy with it, but something is still missing.  I'm missing
shifting strangely enough!!!  I figured I would see if anyone on the board
would be interested in trading cars or something before I end up selling
mine to buy another one.  The car is in excellent condition and runs fine.
I do need to change out the tranny pump due to low pressure readings, but
other than that, the conversion is a success.  Just lemme know if anyone is
interested or wants details.  You can see pics on my website

Thanks,

Duke
www.geocities.com/at88mph_1999

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 02:47:23 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Question about on-car spin balancing tires

On car balancing is not needed for the Delorean. As long as everything
is normal spin balancing the tires on a modern balancing machine is
just fine besides your mechanic is correct if you attempt to spin
balance the rear tires on the car you risk damaging the final drive if
a 5-speed and on an automatic you can also cause damage to the
transmission. Modern tires are now balanced very well. Make sure the
mechanic lines up the tire index mark with the valve and you use the
minimum weight to dynamicaly balance the wheel-tire assembly. It is
also better to balance the tire off the car because if you ever remove
the tire you MUST put it back on EXACTLY in the same position or you
will throw the rotating assembly out of balance!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_b...> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>   I've just received my four new Yoko's AVS Intermediates.  I plan
on taking
> them and my D to a location that performs the "on car spin
balancing" of the
> wheels.
>
> Question #1: Do the tires/wheels need to be separately spin balanced
BEFORE

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 02:55:36 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Stolen Keys

If you don't want to go through the time and expense of replacing your
locks I have two ideas for you. The first is to get a steering wheel
lock or a foot brake lock. They are very inconvienient to use and you
have to find a place to keep it when driving. The better suggestion
IMHO is to get a master battery switch that uses a removable key. It
is invisible and unless you are familiar with a "D" a thief won't find
the battery let alone the switch and if he does luck out without the
key he is going nowhere. The last thing a thief wants is to get caught
in a car that won't move! The only worry you might have left is not to
leave anything valuable that someone can see from the outside. The
switch is sold at most car shows for about $15 and you can make a
little bracket to mount it on. A short piece of wire and you're done!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Felix S <melvnhel_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> Hello,
>     I lost a set of my keys, Someone must have found them and kept
them.
> Now I cannot drive my Delorean without being super
> paranoid that someone is waiting to take my car.

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:49:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I wouldn't worry about someone stealing your car...

I am sure it's insured, and secondly, they would have
to be STUPID to steal a Delorean.... its not like a
Jeep or Bronco, where there are thousands of them...

The car sticks out like a sore thumb, and personally,
cops harass me regularly (run my tags, some make up
bullcrap excuses to pull me over, I dont mind, most of
them just want to see the car)... but if you reported
it stolen, it would probably be recovered within 30
minutes.... and I am sure any thief would know that..

hey, thats another marketing point, the Delorean is
theft deterrant (sp?) built in - because there are no
others like it :)

Mike

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean known issues

Is there a list anywhere of the "known" issues that
goes wrong with Delorean's?

My D has approx 4,000 miles on it... so the engine
should be in near new shape.. it looks it and runs
it...

I've had probs with the fuel gauge (fixed thanks to
tankzilla), alternator (was cheap and rebuilt the
Ducey, to have it break again within a mile), and a
cooling system leak.

It's vin 855, single key lock... I just dont lock my
doors because it's a gamble if they will come unlocked
(so I am told).

interior is perfect.... the car physically is pretty
much perfect.

I'm at a point I need to do something.... I can't
drive it again because of the tiny cooling leak in the
front, was told not to by DMC and several group
members, and someone of great Delorean knowledge told
me I am driving the car in a sad state, and if I
continue to do  so, will create more problems.

I am very seriously considering shipping it to DMC in
houston to have them just "fix it all".  Their tour is
coming up (got a mailer today), and I wanted to go, so
I was going to maybe get a U-Haul and tow my Delorean
down there, and enjoy the tour while I am at it.

I know I am gonna need locks, I am sure the fuel pump
will need the boot, etc.  and the coolant leak needs
fixed.

As far as I can tell, this is all that is wrong with
it.... I'm budgeting about 7,000 to get it brought up
to "youc an drive it anytime u want" status, and was
wanting any educated guesses that anyone might have as
to if that will be enough or not.

The car will never be a daily driver just because I
want the mileage to stay low, but I would like for it
to be able to go out reliably on a date or something,
and not have to ask the girl, "hey, can you help me
push the car?" :)

A list would be helpful of the most common things if
there is one available.

I plan on buying a refurbished one within the next 6
months.. I want one I can upgrade with a nice stereo
and such... I want to keep the one I have now 100%
original where possible.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:12:42 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Re: Weakest Link mention

[Moderator Note:  When I approved the Weakest Link post, I never dreamed there would be two TV sightings the same week.  Please do not respond with criticisms of or questions about V.I.P..  If you want to know more use private email or a search engine.]

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_b...> wrote:
> I may not be the first one to "report in", but this
> question just appeared on The Weakest Link:
>
> "Introduced  in 1981, which stainless steel sports
> car shares its name with the man who created it?"
>
> The contestant correctly answered the question.
>
> -Hank #1619

It was also mentioned on the TV show V.I.P. over the weekend, but
they bad mouthed it,and called it the "Icky Delorean"

Claude

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 05:46:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: j seigel <wtbstuff_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean for sale Not Correct phone Number

FYI this is not the correct phone number. Bob can you
get the correct phone number & maybe a price?
thanks

--- Bob Brandys <oehcs_at_dml_flash.net> wrote:
> Chris Gossett
>
> Has a Delorean for sale

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:32:02 -0000
From: "Ben" <tahoe98_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean for sale

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=591686435

Please pass this around to anyone who is interested. I have been a
member of this group for a while, and the help has been more than
wonderful.  Unfortunately, I have to move on to another vehile.
Thanks to everyone.

I will most certainly address any questions on the vehicle.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Ben Boatright
VIN 10115
tahoe98_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:31:21 -0000
From: SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Hard Starting.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., DMCVegas_at_dml_l... wrote:
> Recently I've been having a problem with hard starting with the D
> when hot. If the engine is cold it will turn over almost
> effortlessly.

I am now an "expert" on this problem.  Even John Delorean would call
me if he had the problem as he should also understand that I am the
worlds formost "expert."

I had the exact same problem and I replaced vitually every component
in the car at DMC in Garden Grove!  The bills were staggering!  The
car would not hold presure after a shut down, and this is important
for it to do so as to not vapor lock on a restart when hot.

First it was the fuel injectors.  After $187 in parts and $140 in
labor it still did the exact same thing.  It would start when it was
cold and not when it was hot.

We then "replaced" the check valve because the system would still not
hold pressure.  After a $69 check valve was installed and $285
dollars of additional diagnostic labor it still did the exact same
thing!

Next we replaced the fuel accumulator which I had replaced 11 months
and 800 miles ago.  After $109 and another $140 dollars of diagnostic
labor it still did the exact same thing.

Next we replaced the "o" rings in the fuel distributor and after
several hundred more dollars of labor and parts, it still did the
exact same thing!

Next we put a clamp on the supply side of the fuel line at the
distributor and it still lost pressure.  The we put a clamp on the
return line from the distributor and it held presuure.

Somehow, we determined, after some additional labor, that it was the
fuel distributor that was "defective."  This was after we invested
some more labor costs to see if the fuel pump was defective.

We changed the fuel distributor and for some reason, which I do not
understand, it now runs fine.  It starts both hot and cold, it runs
smoother, (the surging that used to exist on cold starts has improved)
and I am ready to declare personal bankruptcy.

On the serious side of things, try the fuel distributor as all of
the "experts" will tell you that they never go bad and apparently,
they do.  In the meantime, pray that it is the accumulator as it is
1/10th the cost of the fuel distributor.  I am now an expert and
hopefully, you are too and, maybe, I'll be able to save you some of
the expense that I incurred in the learning process.

Scot

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 19:04:00 -0000
From: garyg_at_dml_lucent.com
Subject: Gray leather seat covers for sale

Hello all,
  I have a new old-stock set of seat covers for sale.  I purchased
them from a list member for just under $1000.  They were part of the
group buy that was offered to the list late last fall.  My DeLorean
plans have been put on hold, so the seat covers are for sale.
  Make me an offer.

Thanks,
Gary Gill
garygill_99_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:01:59 -0500
From: "Dave Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Eurofest Update

I've uploaded an update to the www.dmcnews.com website. Be sure to follow
all the links. We're now in Belfast and have visited with all the usual
suspects. There are over 200 people here from 17 countries, and I have no
idea how many cars. Keep checking - I seem to be able to get this uploaded
about  7pm Central US time each night or two.

main
http://www.dmcnews.com/belfasttemp/belfastdaily.html

day1
http://www.dmcnews.com/belfasttemp/belfastdaily2.html

Dave/Bruce/Marty

Date: 25 May 2001 06:02:01 -0000
From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Reminder - DMC EUROFEST, BELFAST, IRELAND

DMC EUROFEST, BELFAST, IRELAND

Date: Saturday, May 26, 2001
Time: All Day

Original factory tour.  Final run of cars around the test track!
Helicopter flight overhead.