From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 557
Date: Sunday, May 27, 2001 4:37 AM

From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

From: "Jerry Harry" <jerryHarry_at_dml_msn.com>

From: Joe Palatinus <jpalatinus_at_dml_earthlink.net>

From: "Vicky Miller" <delo1_at_dml_mindspring.com>

From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: rough running and gas
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

15. startig problem
From: "Mike Cutting" <mcutting_at_dml_nt.net>

16. Re: rough running and gas
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

17. Eurofest Update 3
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

18. Update on my Fuel problem and Fuel filter
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

19. wheel alignment in NJ
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 19:47:38 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: inertia switch

I've heard a lot of mention about using your inertia switch as a security
device.  Good idea except that my little plunger doesn't stay up by itself.
I can pull it up as far as I can but it just falls right back down.  Is this
normal?  Is there only certain circumstances where it will stay up by
itself?

Thanks!

Payne

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 03:06:17 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: DeLorean known issues

I forgot to include the window regulaters. The OEM parts are very
flimsy and fail after some use. All of the Delorean venders offer a
much better replacement. This is not a required upgrade but when they
fail you will want to fix it once and for all! It is no picnic working
inside the doors! On the subject of the muffler bracket the way it is
bent causes the stress to concentrate on the bend where it eventually
fails. If yours doesn't fit it may be because your custom pipe is not
quite the right shape.

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 22:49:52 -0500
From: "Jerry Harry" <jerryHarry_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: 3 Recalls

David, Thanks for the list of general areas to watch for.
You have as your first item the 3 recalls, were would I look to fine if I have them installed?
My vin is 4890 if that helps.

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 23:19:48 -0400
From: Joe Palatinus <jpalatinus_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: rough running and gas

While driving I occasionally get a jerking, or jolting, or not smooth
accelerating.  I feels like its not getting gas, and then I press on the
gas and it goes rapidly, or accelerates very rough.  It is almost like a
bad rpm rlay, but I borrowed the relay from another car, and I get the same
problem.  I am still getting about 13-15 mpg, so I am thinking that these
problems may have something to do with each other.  any idea or advice?
Joe Palatinus
VIN 17167
  +6808

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 00:36:03 -0400
From: "Vicky Miller" <delo1_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: delorean motor

to the person wanting a Delorean motor
my email box - crashed and i have lost your email address...
please email me privately
thanks
bob miller

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 01:36:46 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean known issues

In a message dated 5/25/01 10:28:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl writes:

<< but I can't
 get it onto the bolt because of the proximity of the surrounding
 metal... >>
Jan,

   If you look in the workshop manual on where they say how to remove the
engine, they tell you that you have to rotate the alternator down a little
bit in order to get to that bolt.

Later,
Nick
1852
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 23:00:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: wiper motor

I thought I had this one all figured out. My wiper motor (not the wiper
fluid motor) went out on me, and the new motor arrived the other day. I'm
all ready to install it this weekend, but I'm not clear on if I get to the
motor from above or below. I stuck my head into the footwell on the
drivers side, but I don't see anything resembling the wiper motor. I also
couldn't find any tips in the archives. Any ideas?

-Christian
Driving proud here in the USA!

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:17:55 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: 3 Recalls

> You have as your first item the 3 recalls, were would I look to fine if
> I have them installed?

You can check out this page I created for just this purpose:

http://www.eskin.net/firstdelorean.html

I call them "updates" instead of "recalls" (see first three questions).

-Hank

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 13:21:36 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Lambda light

Richard, It's called the Service Interval Counter reminding you that
after about 30,000 miles it's time to get a comoplete service. If
it's over 30,000 miles it's reminding you again.They can be reset
back to ( 0 )
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 13:26:23 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Plastic Header Bottle question

Steve, The plastic water bottle was just fine for the De Lorean, but
after 20 years and depending on how much they were used, plastic
crackes and it's not repairable. I've seen cars with 5000 miles on
them and they look brand new. SS replacements are the best from some
of the vendors unless you want original. That will cost.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 13:41:38 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: rough running and gas

Joe, Check the connector on the intertia switch which controls the
fuel pump being on or off, You may find that if the connection isn't
solid, and due to the amount of heat generated, the plastic connector
will melt and cause the contacts not to touch, thus you loose contact
for a second and get that jerking. The RPM relay may cause the same
intermit problem, but not likly. RPM Relay's need to have the
contacts cleaned ever so often and you may want to consider using an
extension on # 7 fuse to avoid meltdown. The fuel pump which is
turned on by the rpm relay goes thru #7 fuse.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 09:01:42 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

The plastic header bottle will become brittle with age and then is prone to
catastrophic failure.  A loss of coolant and overheating of the engine is
about the worst thing you can do to this engine.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no N.O.S. plastic bottles available.

All of the Delorean parts and service centers can provide you with a new
Stainless Steel header bottle.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 13:32:50 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: inertia switch

Payne, As you probably know is a safety cut off switch for the fuel
pump. When the plunger is up, the switch is off and the pump won't
run. Down and if the switch is good the pump will run. You can hold
the switch in one hand and gently tap it against the other hand and
the plunger should pop up. It should sound as if a metal ball is
rolling around inside. If it doesn't, then is most likly defective.
It should take just a little pressure to push it back down. I do have
a couple of good used ones.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 17:48:02 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

From the description of your symptoms there are two areas to
investigate. If you haven't replaced the fuel filter in a long time
now is a good time to do so. The other possability is a problem in the
secondary ignition system like a bad coil, bad wires, or worn spark
plugs. A complete tune-up would probably fix your car so if the car
hasn't had one in a long time that would be a good place to start. A
bad RPM relay would cause the fuel pump not to run so without the fuel
pump the motor wouldn't run so accelerating wouldn't be a problem.
Your gas mileage indicates the need for a tune-up and or at least a
mixture adjustment. Your mileage should be near 20 MPG.

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 15:17:20 -0400
From: "Mike Cutting" <mcutting_at_dml_nt.net>
Subject: startig problem

hi group..

well, i know that a problem similar to mine was just posted recently, but i
checked around and couldn't find the thread.  sorry to revive this but, what
can you do?

last week, my fuel pump went.  i ordered a new one.  the new pump works
after a fashon.  it makes a very loud whining noise (the old pump made some
noise but not very loud) and the car will only run for a second or so.  then
it dies.  any thoughts?

MIke Cutting

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 19:48:59 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

Inspect the plug that connects to the frequency valve. Pull the plug,
and verify that the connectors have not been pulled back up into the
plug (it can happen if the plug is disconnected by pulling on the
wires rather than the plug itself). Had the same symptom on my car
once. Turned out to be an intermidant connection on the frequency
valve.

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 01:35:10 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Eurofest Update 3

Another busy day in Belfast. Today was the factory and the
concours/show. Then the dinner. It's now 2 am, I have the factory
stuff up, I'll get the show and dinner tomorrow.

See at www.dmcnews.com

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 01:21:08 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Update on my Fuel problem and Fuel filter

Ok, I just installed another new Fuel filter (the one that was on the
car when I was having fuel pressure problems was a brand new Bosch
one) and my pressure problems are gone! When I jump the RPM fuel
relay all of my injectors now spray perfectly...and when I press the
air meter flap down they begin to spray more and I have no pressure
loss.

One thing I did notice on the fuel filters was this:
The old Bosch filter that was on the car had a rattle to it when I
shook it. The new Bosch filter that I had didn't have any rattle to
it at all when I shook it (this was before I installed it I checked
it). From this I thought that the old one was just bad since it
rattled. After installing it (and NO I did NOT tighten it too much,
just enough where it wouldn't leak) I had a low fuel pressure problem.
When I bought the new Purolator fuel filter, it had a rattle to it
when I shook it too. I installed it and now I don't have a low fuel
pressure problem and all my injectors fire uniformly and perfectly.

Is the rattle that I hear when I shake the filter some sort of
a "check valve" in the filter? If so, could it have been
stuck/damaged on the new Bosch fuel filter and causing the fuel
restriction I was experiencing? That's the only thing I could think
of that was the problem since that is the ONLY thing I
touched/changed that fixed the problem when I replaced it with the
Purolator filter.

As you can see from my post, the Purolator filter I was describing in
one of my earlier posts fits perfectly and works great!

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 23:22:56 EDT
From: ttanaka504_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: wheel alignment in NJ

Dear. List

              I am thinking about wheel alignment to my delorean in NJ
because I feel like drank when I am driving. I checked air in tires was OK,
so I decided to do wheel alignment. I explored this mail-list in e-group and
found some information like Sears can do that. but I went to Sears in
Quickbridge mall, and they say they cannot do this. Therefore, I would like
to ask a help. Where can I wheel alignment in NJ? Thank you very much for
using this list.

             Blacknight?_at_dml_