From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 560
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 4:06 PM

1. Re: Rust Problem.
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

2. Re: still clonking
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

3. Another GREAT EVENT coming up!!
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

4. Re: To spray or not to spray that is the question....?
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

5. RE: Re: Purchased Delorean 4912 - alarm activates
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryan_at_dml_ryanwright.com>

6. Re: painting louver
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: To spray or not to spray that is the question....?
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

8. Re: painting louver
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: still clonking
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: wiper motor question
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: rough running and gas
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. Re: still clonking
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

13. Another car built in Northern Ireland
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

14. RE: Purchased Delorean 4912 - alarm activates
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

15. (unknown)
From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com

16. RE: Re: painting louver
From: wmack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

17. engine serial number question
From: jake_at_dml_ragingbull.com

18. Updated DMC production chronology and VIN list posted
From: knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com

19. Renting Contract
From: carin_catalano_at_dml_hotmail.com

20. Re: (unknown)
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. I need to rent a Delorean for a wedding
From: nywc1_at_dml_hotmail.com

22. Re: still clonking
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

23. Re: Stainless Steel Facias
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

24. Broken shift lever
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

25. Re: painting louver
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 03:08:09 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Rust Problem.

I would contact the state DEP or DOT to find out how to put in a claim
for the damage done to your car. I would also ask them to explain the
exact nature of the spill and what precautions need to be taken such
as not to put the car in a closed garage, safety precautions to take
in removing the materiel, how to dispose of the waste etc. This may
also be covered under your insurance policy and then they would go
after the person who caused it. The best way to get it removed might
be to go to a place that steam cleans cars and have them do the entire
underside. After the car is completly cleaned then it can be inspected
for rust or cracked, chipped, missing paint. I would caution you that
no one should do any welding if there is any zinc oxide on the car as
the fumes released during welding are toxic. The welder must use
forced ventilation to remove the fumes during welding. Zinc oxide is a
component of paint and is used to rust-proof mild steel before
painting.

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 03:15:14 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: still clonking

Check the shock mounts, the rubber may have gone bad or just fallen
out. The shocks themselves could also be bad. The springs tend to move
around in the perches so a little lubricant spray sometimes helps. I
don't think this is a steering problem as you didn't say it clunks
when you turn. Sounds don't always come from where you think they do
so don't limit your search to only the front left wheel. For instance
check the trailing arm bolts just in case and maybe there is something
loose in the trunk like the jack or who knows what in the front
compartment!

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 03:30:59 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Another GREAT EVENT coming up!!

***** Moderator's note
You picked the right week for this - I also have an '83
Esprit Turbo.  This should be a good event.

I know this is not 100%Delorean related,but if you are like me and
want to see our sister cars the, Lotus Esprit Turbo at their
gathering,this is as much a event as Eurofest 2001,as many DMLers
would like to know about this event.

For the majority of us that could not make it to Eurofest 2001,our
sister car the Lotus Esprit Group is having their big gathering on
June 23,2001 at Lime Rock park raceway(one of the BEST racetracks in
the world) on June 23,2001 . See more info at
www.energyfor.com/lotus. It will also be Ferrari Day at Lime Rock
Park,in Lakeville, CT, on Saturday June 23.  Ferrari Day at Lime Rock
Park 9 - 5. The Ferrari Challenge event (although not our
participation) can be seen on the LRP site, www.limerockpark.com. I
am going to this event,with a friend of mine that has a 1984 Lotus
Esprit Turbo,But it would be nice to see a few Delorean owners and
their cars present to make a showing,you could also get more info at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1240737655
Hope to see some of the DML people there.

Claude

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 23:51:49 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: To spray or not to spray that is the question....?

I would recommend bringing your fascias to a body shop since they will add
the clear coat as well and will have knowledge on what kind of paint to use
on the ERM (flexible plastic) on the fascias.  I just had mine redone and
they look amazing. They will also blend it exactly.  I know you're on a
limited budget but save up your money and maybe do one at a time.  it won't
be that expensive and it will save you money in the long run. Just my
opinion, though.

Good luck

Joe
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 20:55:39 -0700
From: "Ryan Wright" <ryan_at_dml_ryanwright.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Purchased Delorean 4912 - alarm activates

Quick note on this: Depending on the alarm, you can cause yourself a lot of
trouble if you simply take it out yourself. If the system interfaces with
any parts of the car, you can end up with non-working door locks, windows,
interior & exterior lights, and even a car that doesn't start. It all
depends on the alarm.

If you aren't comfortable tearing it apart (slowly, section by section,
tracing each and every wire rather than just cutting it), take the car to a
custom audio dealer that installs alarm systems (99% of them) and have it
removed. You might be better off purchasing a brand new system and letting
them install it with instructions to remove the old one. Most dealers will
charge you good money (probably a couple hundred bucks) to simply remove the
old alarm. If you buy a new one from them, install charges are often waived
(or are cheap - $30-$50) and they may remove the old one for free as they
have to get under the dash anyway.

So, if they quote a high price to remove it, ask 'em what it would cost to
"trade" it for a new one. You may be able to get a brand new high end system
for an extra $20, or in some cases, it could actually be cheaper than just
having the old one removed. It all depends on the shop.

-___--------------------------------------------------------------------
| , |      ___   ___ _  -- Ryan P. Wright (ryan_at_dml_ryanwright.com)
| _/__  __/ _ \ |   | | -- http://www.ryanwright.com
|   \ \/ / /_\ \| | | | -- Enthusiast of Fieros, DeLoreans, Hovercraft,
|_|\_\  /_/---\_\_|___| -- and other unique modes of transportation.
------|_|---------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 04:04:39 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: painting louver

David, I repainted my louver also with the same paint, I think it
will work good with UV sun also. I just cleaned it good with soap and
water with Fantastick. Sanded it down to get the blemisheds out with
200 grit wet paper.Painted and It's still looks good almost a year
later.
John
WWW.specialTauto.com

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 00:54:48 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

If you want your DeLorean fascia's to look factory finished you should have the job done by a professional. Painting the fascias is not a "shade tree" project. In addition to using the proper preparation techniques you also need the proper equipment. I have seen some fascia's painted by their owners; some jobs looked very good, but not great.

I am a big supporter of "doing it yourself", but certain jobs require not only the right equipment but years of experience to achieve professional results.

DMC Joe

"We're here to help you"

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 23:55:58 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

David,

Any degreaser product will remove the oil base products already on the louver, my personal favorite is Bleech-White.

Krylon paint products are normally stocked at the following outlets:
        Ace Hardware Stores
        Ames
        Army and Air Force Exchange Service
        Autozone
        Beverly Fabric Inc.
        Carter Lumber
        Coast to Coast Hardware
        Do It Best Stores
        Duckwall Alco
        Eagle Hardware & Garden
        Eckerd Drug
        Frank's Nursery & Craft
        Fred Meyer
        Hobby Lobby
        Jo-Ann Etc.
        Jo-Ann Fabric & Crafts
        Kmart
        Lowe's    Marvin's
        Michaels Stores
        Navy Exchange
        Parts America
        Pat Catan's
        Payless Cashways
        Pearl Paint
        Rag Shops
        Rite Aid Corporation
        Scotty's
        Sears
        Sherwin Williams Stores
        True Value
        Valu Home Centers
        Wal*Mart
        Western Auto

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 00:55:12 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Paul,

Have you tried tightening all of your fiberglass underbody to frame bolts?

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 00:55:26 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: wiper motor question

Christian,

Complete windshield motor replacement procedures with illustrations can be found in your workshop manual at M:09:01 and M:09:02. Detailed part identifications can be found in the parts manual at 3/6/1.

BTW: Are you absolutely sure your motor is defective? The DeLorean windshield wiper motors have a less than 2% failure rate.

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 00:55:52 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: rough running and gas

Sean,

You said:
"if some (or all) of the injectors are misfunctioning in that they allow too much fuel to enter the cylinders to be burned........."

The Bosh fuel injectors used in the DeLorean are extremely precise in their fuel delivery operation. The most common problem is an inconstant or poor spray pattern usually caused by dirt. This may cause the engine to run slightly rough but will not cause "jerking, or jolting". I have never seen one of these injectors spray at the incorrect fuel pressure, therefore it is extremely unlikely that an injector would allow too much fuel to enter the cylinders.

You also said:
"but possibly the injectors are misadjusted allowing fuel at a
lower pressure than normal to open the valve, the injectors are simply
leaking, the fuel distributor is allowing more fuel to pass to the injectors
for each pulse, too high a fuel pressure...".

The injectors are non adjustable, even a leaking injector or two will not cause a significant change in the fuel pressure at the fuel distributor.

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 05:40:20 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

I know that if a lower ball joint makes a clonking noise, it's most
likely not the ball joint itself that's bad. From what I understand
most of the time it's due to that there is very little surface where
the ball joint gets pressed in. In effect the ball joint moves making
that clonking noise. I know that Rob at PJ Grady (and possibly other
DMC vendors) sells a collar re-enforcement kit to fix that problem.
It's only for the lower ball joints.

Other areas you want to check are the bushings. Jack up the front of
the car and, while looking at the bushings, try and move the control
arms from side to side. If you see any cracks appear or the metal
bushing inside the rubber separates from the rubber, then it's time
to replace the bushing.

There could be something else that's causing your problem but I would
start with these right now.

Steve

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 06:45:25 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Another car built in Northern Ireland

. Just wanted you all to know that there IS a car being built/or
built in Northern Ireland, that can accelerate from 0-60/mph in five
seconds and will stop from that speed in less than three seconds.It
is  built by Mondiale Cars of Northern Ireland,go to :
http://www.skipbarber.com/formula.htm and you can read about it,Just
something I found on the Net.

Claude

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:04:49 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Purchased Delorean 4912 - alarm activates

Disconnect the alarm siren or bell.  At least it will not make noise until
you figure out how to disarm or deactivate it.  The alarm was not a factory
installed item, though it could have been installed by the selling dealer.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:45:47 -0000
From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: (unknown)

     Well this is perfect timing. I have just had a similar problem
with my car. I had taken it to my old high school for an alumni event
and it overheated in the parking lot. I bled the system, and now its
been blowing antifreeze out of the overflow tube at temp. My
assumption is that the person who I bought the car from had an
incorrect mixuture of water/antifreeze in the car, mostly water I
assume. I poures in straight antifreeze and seemed to help. MAKE SURE
YOU GET THE AIR OUT.
-Jay
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Hey list,
>   I have been having overheating problems with my DMC. I have a new
> Thermostat, In case it is stuck closed. I Just changed the coolent
Useing
> Prestone silver. It is phospate free. I purged the system of air.
Well it
> seems as I got all of it out. I opened the bleeder on the
thermostat
> houseing and the small upper radiator line in the passinger front.
I started
> up the car and it reached 220 degreese and kept rising!
>   First the Fans never kicked on but the enging and the coolent
lines all
> around it were hot. (maybe an air bubble, or bad thermo switch).
The
> radiator was stone cold like there's no circulation. I know the
lines are
> clean and the fluid flows good because I flushed out the system.
Could this

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:39:08 -0400
From: wmack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: RE: Re: painting louver

I am in the same place.  My louvers need to be painted.  I was wondering if i
should use a high temp engine paint on them since they are so close to the
engine and get a lot of heat from it.  Does that make sense?

Thanks
  Willie

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:06:56 -0000
From: jake_at_dml_ragingbull.com
Subject: engine serial number question

hey all

got my car up on the lift yesterday and found a small plate on the
drivers side of the engine with serial numbers on it 154 at the top
and then something like 000004545 below that, is this the engine
serial number and should it match the one in the door 10676 ?

thanks

jake

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:54:12 -0000
From: knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com
Subject: Updated DMC production chronology and VIN list posted

Based on the latest DOD material as well as a lot of information from
the DMC archives, I have pulled together a new and updated DMC
production chronology and VIN list that is now available. You can
find the chronology in the "DeCO" tab of the DMC FAQ on the DMCNews
web site.

The VIN list includes over 3000 cars now and includes some history on
several of the cars inlcuding all the company cars that DMC used
(includinging the names of the officers that they were assigned to)
as well as a bunch of warranty cards and shipping manifests. From the
VIN list it appears that someone on the DML owns one of JZD's
corporate cars.

If you have additional data or corrections, please let me know. The
best place to make corrections is to submit updated material to the
DOD since much of the data comes from there, but if you have VIN
information for others cars then I can tally those as well.

     Knut

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:17:08 -0000
From: carin_catalano_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Renting Contract

Hi all!

I was reading about renting out a DeLorean in an article by James
Espey. I've been trying to get my father to get his car out of
storage and if he can make a few bucks with it that might be all it
takes!

I sent an email off to James Espey to get a copy of his contract that
he mentions in that article, but I've not heard back from him. I also
searched the archives and didn't find it. Can anyone else supply me
with a copy of that contract or a web page link.

Thanks!

Carin Catalano

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:29:07
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: (unknown)

Well,
I figured out what was the cause of the overheating, a bad thermostat.  I
checked the old one and it never opened. The problem was it was stuck
closed. I had a new on on hand and installed it this morning. Cools Great
Now! What a difference. Purged all of the air too. with new Prestone Silver
antifreeze.
Oh Just one more thing. I tried an AC Delco Oil filter PF-13. It does not
fit a delorean it is too fat. So oil filters that fit VW Rabbits and Jettas
work there is two German brands Mann, and Mahle. They are both narrower
filters and have the same seal and thread. These brands are also used on
VW's right from the factory. Just thought everyone might like to know.

                         Ryan- vin.#16301

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:02:38 -0000
From: nywc1_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: I need to rent a Delorean for a wedding

*****  Moderator's Note
Please reply directly to the sender.

My best friend is getting married at the end of September and as the
best man, I have been given certain responsibilities.  One of which
is arranging for trasnportation away from the church after the
ceremony.

My friend is a big Delorean fan and I'd like to rent a delorean for
the weekend to make this element of his wedding day memorable.  I
don't want the boring limo with tin cans attached, I want a
Delorean.

Here's my problem, I don't know anyone that owns a Delorean and its
not like they're offered by rental car companies.  The wedding is
taking place in upstate NY, in a small town called Elmira.  The car
would only be used for transporting the newly married couple to the
reception.  I am willing to pay the owner whatever he asks (within
reason) for the weekend and will take care of necessary insurance.

Does anyone you know how I can get a hold of a Delorean for the last
weekend in September?  Are you aware of any Delorean owners in
Upstate NY?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Having a
Delorean at his wedding will make my friend really happy and make the
day even more memorable.

Any advice you guys can give me would be really appreciated.  If you
know any owners that fit the bill, pleas let me know.

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:11:29 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

Paul,

My guess is that you have a bad lower bushing on your shock absorber.  I
have had those wear out on other cars, and they clunks with every bump.

Trying to locate a suspension problem like that is harder to do while you
have the weight off of the wheels.  This changes the forces on the
connections.  Find a way to get under the car while the weight is still on
the wheels.  Then maybe you can see which connection the noise is coming
from.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:33:59 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Stainless Steel Facias

Skipper,

Are you sure that SS fascias are practical on a car?  The polymer fascias
protect the body panels by flexing first.  Custom rigid stainless fascias
probably will not tolerate the slightest bump even in a parking lot.  And
then the energy could be transferred to a fender & hood and cause otherwise
avoidable damage.

I considered other ways of making 'mock up' stainless panels.  Here is one
idea I'll throw to the group:  How about using a process similar to adding
copper clad to fiberglass printed circuit boards?  If you could attach
copper cladding to an OEM DeLorean fascia, then it could be nickel plated
and textured to match the stainless panels.  Anyone familiar with custom
making printed circuit boards will know how well copper sticks to
fiberglass.  I have a fantasy of copper cladding a fiberglass car body and
either clear coating the copper or go to an extreme using the copper base to
gold, nickel or chrome plate the entire car.

I'm not sure how close a match textured nickel plating would be to stainless
steel, but it certainly would be a closer match than the OEM silver paint.
Food for thought.

As for making other parts out of stainless, have you considered tail light &
license plate frames?  That would look cool.  You could cut that out of a
flat piece of 1/4" stock, add some clear lenses and put bright LEDs behind
it.

How about custom rear stainless louvers?  I have heard rumors that someone
in Germany has made some, but I've never seen pictures.

Keep this up and you will look like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz.  On
that note, have you ever seen a stainless steel shirt?  I have.  College
students in the SCA make them out of chain link.  I want to get one and wear
it to a DeLorean show.  When I'm not wearing my car, I can at least wear the
shirt.

Food for thought, thought for stainless, stainless for food,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:35:54 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Broken shift lever

Help!  Today shifting to fourth gear my shifter lever snapped off!  I can
use forward gears but not reverse since you have to pull up.  Can it be
fixed?  I can't afford the $354 to buy a new one!  Has anyone else had this
problem?  This is my only car and I need to get it fixed as soon as I can!
The lever snapped right at the place where the pin goes through it.

Any help would be appreciated!

payne

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:06:10 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

*****  Moderator's Note
As with any automotive refinishing project, proper surface
preparation and the correct tools are an important part of
success.  Consult with an autobody specialist before attempting
any large-surface restoration for the proper techniques and tools.
*****

Every repainted louver I have seen didn't look good.  I think the problem
starts from painting over Armor-all with the 'fish eye' effect coming
through.  Another mistake I have seen is people using a gloss paint.  Gloss
paint makes imperfections show up all the more.  Sanding before you start
makes it worse.  The better sanded areas are more gloss and look uneven.  I
think the only way to get a good paint job on a greasy louver is to totally
sand everything down, use a textured primer to match the original texture
and then cover it with a flat black top coat.  Maybe you could remove the
grease by spraying it down with a few cans of disc brake cleaner or engine
degreaser.

Instead of paint, maybe you could looking into finding a good oil based ink
or dye that is weather proof.  I used a laundry marker with great success to
touch up small areas on my louvers.  Maybe something like what is used in a
laundry marker or a black leather dye would work.  If your louver is already
saturated with Armor-all, then maybe fight fire with fire and give it a good
rub down with black shoe polish.  Ha!  Don't knock it.  It just might beat
painting it.

Walt    Tampa, FL