From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 566
Date: Saturday, June 02, 2001 4:44 AM

1. (unknown)
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

2. Re: Inertia Switch
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

3. Re: New exaust system (was stainless steel air filter box)
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Flowmaster Exhaust on a DMC?
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: posting question
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: Stainless Steel air filter box (was Stainless Steel Fascias)
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

7. Is Dave Sontos still around?
From: Sacha Prins <sprins_at_dml_businessnet.net>

8. K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

9. Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com

10. "Brickline" magazine w/ Delorean on cover
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com

11. Re: Stainless Steel air filter box (was Stainless Steel Fascias)
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

12. K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

13. Re: Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

14. Re: blackout headlight covers
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

15. Re: Engine light
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

16. Re: Is Dave Sontos still around?
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

17. angle drive
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Engine swap update
From: at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com

19. Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. Stainless Steel Jeep.
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

21. Delorean t shirts
From: edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 04:02:14 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: (unknown)

I've been away from the DML for a couple of days, and I am now just
catching up on things. Of the subjects that have come up for example
is the airbox discussion. I think that it is great that everyone is
working together to develop improvements for the DeLoren. However,
there is one major item that has been overlooked here. That item is
RESEARCH! The airbox discussion started out as haing the current
airbox remade out of stainless steel. The subject then also evolved
into a possible improved overall airbox anf filter design, which is
perfectly fine. But in using these two items as examples, neither
debate used reseach as a tool. With the stainless steel airbox, it is
correct that heat transferance is a problem in the way of engine
performance. Even when advertising it's new Generation II intake
performance kit (though not available for the DeLorean), K&N lists
this statement as one of the products benefits: "Heat-resistant
materials keep air traveling inside the tube cooler than metal
tubes." So even by this alone we know that a metal intake would be
detramental to engine performance since we do need to keep incoming
air as cool as possible.

The second topic here is the improved air box design. The main idea
here that everyone has been looking into seems to be a design with an
in-line installed high performance air filter. Well, the answer has
been under everyone's nose all along. The 1982-1988 Volvo 760 V-6!
The car uses practicly the same setup as the DeLorean application.
The airbox on the DeLorean is the same as the Volvo 260 series cars.
But when Volvo introduced the 760, they redesigned the airbox and
intake. Here the filter is mounted remotely from the engine and
attaches via a fexable hose to the slim designed intake on the
engine. Plus it also has the connection for the breather hose on the
oil cap. This intake could have a high flow cone air filter mounted
directly onto it. From here larger hose and an "air bath" could be
constructed with a flexable intake hose then mounted to the cool air
intake in the pontoon. Plus with this design you could include or
omit the air intake valve at your descresion depending on weather
conditions. The best part of this design is that there would be less
restrictions than just leaving the filter out of air box. I could be
wrong, but I imagine that omitting the filter could have the same
problems with turbulence as hollowing out the catalytic converter.
Plus if the filter were only installed into the intake valve (or
flapper as others have called it) there would be MUCH less surface
area for the air filter to operate.

Something else to think about is appearance. I've seen the idea about
an intake that could go up thru the louvers. To be honest, this is a
bad idea. Structal integraty and the amount of drag it would cause
aside, it is an extreme modification with irreversable results.
Grandted you may not ever sell you car, so originality is not a
concern. But you may not be happy with the results either now or some
day down the road. For now I would keep things simple. If for some
reason you feel that the one single intake isn't going to provide you
with the air your engine will need, they why not just utilize the
intake on the drivers side?

In conclusion I just wanted to post this so everyone will have an
understanding that research is the best and most effective tool that
anyone can use. If you are looking for engine upgrades, first take a
look at other applications of you motor and see what was done
differently. And see what options are available with what you
currently have on your car. With a little research you can most time
answer your own questions, and you can have the solution to your
problems alot faster!

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 04:08:05 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: Inertia Switch

The inertia switch is mounted "down current" of the fuel pump. In
other words, it doesn't kill power to the pump, it disconnected the
ground connection to it.

If the switch was bypased, the ground connection would be past the
fuel pump somewhere under the trunck (that's where my bypass is
located).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_v...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> What would the next logical place to search for a jumper be?
Hopefully not the
> fusebox;
<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 04:11:23 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New exaust system (was stainless steel air filter box)

Walt, Yes, I can take it on. I have been thinking about it anyway.
Just haven't had time to do a lot of research. I will make some
inquiries and let the group know. It will be a while. But since were
stainless, were not going anywhere anyway.
John
P.S. How many do you want. It would be nice to take pole.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> John Hervey,
>
> Do you want to volunteer to make a new exhaust system?  (No sarcasm
> intended.)  Making curved round stainless pipes requires different
tools
> than angular shaped air boxes.  I'm familiar with the later.  Each
time I
> check my stock air filter, I hate putting it back in when I would
rather
> replace it with a K&N.  Since the exhaust system is maintenance
free, I
> don't think about it as often.
>
> There is a sadly rusted out DeLorean frame with what is left of an
engine in
> town that I might buy from the owner.  (All of the valuable parts
have
> already been scarfed off.)  Having that to get dimensions from, I
might try
> to design a better exhaust IF I can get someone to make it for me.
If I

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 04:57:55 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Flowmaster Exhaust on a DMC?

Steve:

I had a FLOWMASTER and a complete custom fabricated stainless steel exhaust
system with two separate high performance "cats" installed into my DeLorean
some three years ago.  I thought I would be getting an improvement by having
this installed into my DeLorean.  It was a big disappointment!

After two months I had it removed!  There was very little engine improvement
in performance or power besides the droning sound from the FLOWMASTER was
unbearable, so I had it removed and the original system reinstalled.  It was
an EXPENSIVE experiment.  The FLOWMASTER made the DeLorean sound "cheap,"
thin and cheesy.

Bottom line???  There is nothing wrong with Mr. John Z. DeLorean's exhaust
designed without other engine mods such as headers and injection system.  So,
LET IT BE.

If you want a exhaust modification to be fitted into the DeLorean, check with
Rob Grady.  He has it in his "Green DeLorean" and expect to pay big bucks for
the modifications, if the parts are available.  The parts were not, when I
interested three years ago.

Kayo Ong
#05508
Lic. 9D NY

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 05:06:58 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: posting question

Casey:

Blackout headlight covers are illegal.
They are good for "shows" and not for driving on the "roads."

Kayo Ong
#05508
Lic 9D NY

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 06:17:20 EDT
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Stainless Steel air filter box (was Stainless Steel Fascias)

Mr. Muller:

Yes, I have made a set of air scoops and I have installed them on my
DeLorean.  Several DeLorean owners have seen it on my DeLorean and have asked
for them.  I am not interested in manufacturing them for many reasons...one
main reason is "liability" and the othe reasons are posted below.

The pieces are made of 304 Stainless Steel, the same as the panels.  After
brushing and finishing it with Scotch Brite pads, it blends in and looked
just like the stainless steel panels on the rest of the DeLorean.

As far as making the stainless steel pieces and gluing them down on the rear
fender's glass was not the problem.  Forming the black silicone glue to
"simulate" a uniform rubber bead between the air scoop pieces and the body
panels was an artistic ordeal.  Silicone glue is messy and it has a 15 minute
window of working time before it starts to get cure.  It gets and starts to
looks sloppy.  It took patience and control, to get it right.

The silicone glue once cured, will make the airscoops stable and
semi-permanent.  The airscoops are removable if the DeLorean needs to be
converted back to its original state.  This set up allows complete
restoration by simply scraping of the residual of silicone glue on the glass
and by running Scotch Brite Pads on the fender's stainless steel surfaces to
reproduce the original finish.

With the scoops installed, the engine do "breath" easier.  There is a slight
(I said slight, not a major) improvement in the engine power and performance.
 The air filter DO GET DIRTIER EARLIER -- this must be an indication that the
scoops works.

Kayo Ong
#05508
Lic. 9D NY

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:49:43 +0200
From: Sacha Prins <sprins_at_dml_businessnet.net>
Subject: Is Dave Sontos still around?

Hi,

I'm looking for Dave Sontos who sent me a URL once with directions to
solve 'engine hesitation' problems:

> Hesitation, hard starting, backfire in engine, are all related to fuel
> startvation problems in a cold engine. Visit my web page at
> http://www.vabch.com/dsontos/Regulator.html for a full explination of
> how to fix your problem.

Unfortunately the URL mentioned is not available anymore nor is Dave via
his old e-mail address. Since I'm going to take my #17115 to the shop
any time soon for a workover I'd like to have these directions to show
the mechanic in the right direction.

Any info is appreciated,

Sacha

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:12:41 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: K&N Setup from Eurofest

This is the only photo I took of it.  I hope someone got a shot from the
other side, because that is the one I should have gotten!  I want to see
where the PCV tube goes.

http://www.geocities.com/malevy_nj/Eurofest2001/Red_DMC_Motor.jpg

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 14:48:05 -0000
From: danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest

You'll all know this setup won't work.... engine really *is* in the
wrong place for that sort of filter! :) Still, it DID look quite good.

There was no tube on the other side... it'd all be removed.

Dan
Vin#5641 - Maddie - Oct'81 - UK

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 14:27:20 -0000
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com
Subject: "Brickline" magazine w/ Delorean on cover

On eBay a couple days ago there was a copy of "Brickline" with the
prototype Delorean on the cover.  I missed the bid and really wanted
it.  The reason is, I have one of the original copie of the picture
that is on the cover. If anyone has a copy of this magazine and are
willing to sell it, could you e-mail me privately?
Thank you
Erik

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:45:26 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

Dear Kayo,

Do you have any pics of these air scoops?  I am curious.

Thanks,

Joseph

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:55:22 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

Although I would agree that this is not the optimal setup, I am curious
as to why you say "this won't work".  Could you elaborate?

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:32:04 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest

    There is nothing wrong with the DMC air intake box or filter.
Based on the information provided to me the K&N filter company doesn't
currently offer a filter for the DeLorean. The instructions for installation
of a K&N filter for another car, utilized for the DMC, is to install the
filter upside down.
    Does this upside down installation deviate from the intended purpose of
filtering out the air in the intended sequence?

In addition, I had the K&N filter set up professionally installed on my Jet
Ski's, then removed. (K&N makes marine applications, etc.) The amount of
water that passed through the filter down into the head caused the motor to
experience "water lock."  The engine replacement was not covered under
warranty. $,$$$.00
    After doing some research the filter does improve the airflow, not
substantially but minimally.    No...I didn't submerge my Jet Ski underwater
etc. The K&N allows too much dirt, water, etc., to pass through.  There are
many testimonials on the Internet about the negative attributes of the filter.

The only suggestion that I have is if you are using the Renault air filter in
the DMC airbox is to replace it with another brand other than the K&N.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:47:31 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: blackout headlight covers

De Lorean Motor Company has just begun carrying these, and they are so new I
am not that familiar with them, though I know they do not require any
drilling or anything. We also have them for the rear tail lights as well.

Email me directly for details.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:15:10 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: Engine light

As the lens is the most common failure point on that assembly (as you have
experienced firsthand), the odds of finding a new one are slim. The complete
assembly is less than $25, if memory serves.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:51:26 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: Is Dave Sontos still around?

For hesitation problems, it may be one of the following:

1. Sticking or Binding air flow plate. If the airflow sensor plate
binds on the way up, fuel flow will be limited and the engine will
sag or stumble.

2. Sticking or binding Control plunger. If the control plunger binds
on the way up, fuel flow will be limited and the engine will stumble
or sag.

3. Incorrect System or Control pressure (you'll need a K-Jet gauge to
measure this). If the system pressure is too high or if the control
pressure is too high (high system pressure will usually cause a high
control pressure) the movement of the control plunger will be limited
and the engine will begin to run lean as the airflow increases.

OR

4. Unequal injector flow.

You can check 1,2 and 4 by removing ALL of the fuel injectors and
placing them in a jar. Jump the RPM relay to turn on the fuel pump.
Note the spray patterns on all of the injectors; they should be close
if not equal. Next, with the air box removed carefully press down on
the air meter flap and verify that there are no restrictions (should
go all the way down). There should be a slight opposing force, that's
the fuel pressure against the control plunger. It should go down
smoothly and you should see more fuel (again close to if not equal
amount) spraying from all of the injectors. The spray pattern should
also be in a cone shape, should not be in a straight stream spraying
out of one side. If it is spraying out like a straight stream then
the injector is either dirty or bad.

In order to check 3 you'll need a Fuel pressure gauge for the Bosch K-
Jet system. That's the only accurate way to tell if the fuel pressure
is too high in the system or if the Warm up regulator is bad.

Steve

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 17:34:18
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: angle drive

*****  Moderator's Note
Please see the archives for lots of angle drive service and
care advice.
*****

OK, so this might sound like a dumb question, But could any one direct me to
the proper way to lube the speedo angle drive? Do you remove the cable going
into it? I just want to make sure I do this right. Thanks a bunch!

                         Ryan- vin.#16301

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:45:58 -0500
From: at88mph_at_dml_mobis.com
Subject: Engine swap update

Welp, I've been driving my car for about 3 months now with the new Vortec
4.3 Chevy motor and all is going well EXCEPT the DeLorean auto tranny.
However, I believe this is related to either a problem inside the tranny or
the torque convertor.  I believe that if I put another auto tranny in (or
torque convertor if that's the prob) everything will be fine. I've talked
with alot of people and most point me in the direction of the pump being
bad, but I switched out the pump and it still does the same thing which is
why I'm now looking at the torque convertor as being the prob. The tranny
slips during full accelleration but if you drive it normally, it works fine.
I've updated my website with better info on what I've done and will be
adding a few pics later as well.  You can see it at
www.geocities.com/at88mph_1999   It takes about 10 secs to get to the main
page, but once there, click on the 'engine swap' section.

I'm DEFINITELY happy with the results!!!  It was well worth doing the swap,
and, since I did most of the work myself, it was fairly cheap.  I would be
willing to bet that I don't even have $2,000 invested in the swap.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to email me.

Thanks,

Duke

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:48:02 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

(if Dan doesn't reply)

Because this setup draws air from the top of the engine bay instead of the
outside. Which one do you think has the coolest, cleanest air flow??? In
other words any potential gains from using this "free flow" filter are lost
by putting it in a daft location.

BTW I would be interested in reading some testimonials on the K&N design. I
read some before but can't track any down now I was trying to convince a
friend not to go for one. Anyone help?

Martin

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:46:11 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Stainless Steel Jeep.

I normally don't post links for cross-over related items, but ran
across this item on eBay. It looks like an older CJ-3 Jeep that the
owner had rebuilt out of stainless steel. I thought it might be of
interest to others. If I had the cash, I'd buy it to match my car!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=591732265&tc=photo6280

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:14:50 -0000
From: edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Delorean t shirts

Just a change of pace but is there anyone out there that can make a
real kick ass delorean t-shirt design. Something universal that is
not for just one club or organization. Maybe two or three diferent
designs. I've seen some on the web but wasn't overly impressed.
This is the twenty year aniversery and besides t shirts there aren't
to many comemorative items out there. Just a thought. Ed Herrmann