From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 567
Date: Sunday, June 03, 2001 4:59 AM

1. Shifter repaired and "DMC Envy"
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

2. Re: Re: New exaust system (was stainless steel air filter box)
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

3. Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: Is Dave Sontos still around?
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

5. RE: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

6. Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

7. Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: "Donald Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>

8. Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

9. Re: Re: blackout headlight covers
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

10. Turn signals
From: tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com

11. Re: Question about on-car spin balancing tires
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Turn Signals
From: tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com

13. Re: Eurofest
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Delorean t shirts
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

15. Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

16. Re: Delorean t shirts
From: Trevor L Johnson <comet4055_at_dml_juno.com>

17. fuel pump
From: Meyerleem_at_dml_cs.com

18. start problem
From: "Steve Bunnell" <dmcsteve_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. RE: Delorean t shirts
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:08:06 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Shifter repaired and "DMC Envy"

Earlier this week my shifter snapped off, frustrating me and disabling my
car.  But now I think it may be fixed.  I gave it to one of the Honda techs
at my work and he welded it back together, also re-drilling the roll pin
hole.  Let's just say putting the lever back in the shift assembly was not
fun.  They really didn't make the linkage easy to take apart, but with a
good hammer anything can be done!  I can drive it again, but I'm not sure if
I can trust the weld to hold in the future.  Or anything I fix myself for
that matter.

After all this, I had to go for a nice long celebration drive (DeLorean
withdrawals are a real and terrifying thing).  When I went down our main
street one block was closed off and there was 10 or 15 brand new Porsches on
display.  As I rolled up to the intersection, every person previously
drooling over the German sports cars stopped what they were doing to stare
at the D.  It was great!  I had the windows down and I could hear people in
the crowds talking about it.  And Later I was passed by a truckload of guys
who all waved and gave me shouts of approval.  I love this car!

John DeLorean, I can't thank you enough!

Payne
Proud owner of #2975

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 01:16:58 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: New exaust system (was stainless steel air filter box)

Put me down for one -- especially if you make it from a high quality
stainless.

Walt

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 02:13:02 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: K&N Setup from Eurofest

What has recently made me so hyped-up on the K&N filter was a demonstration
jig I saw at a local motor cycle dealership.  The jig basically consists of
an air box driven by an electric fan similar to what is used in a computer
power supply.  The air drawn through the filter is pushed up through a long
thin tube containing a ping-pong ball.  The air box is made of clear
pexiglass with a hole cut (about 5" by 5" square) that can hold either an
ordinary filter or a K&N filter.

With the ordinary filter installed, the ping-pong ball sits at the bottom of
the tube.  The air circulating through the filter and up the tube is not
enough air to even lift the ball.

With the K&N filter in place, there is enough air force in the tube to raise
the bulb to the to the top end of the tube about (12" high) and hold it
there with a good deal of force.  The difference in air force is dramatic.
At first I was suspicious that the ordinary filter was covered with clear
hair spray or paint to clog it up.  The amount of flow delivered from the
K&N compared to the regular filter was simply unreal.  Despite the
restrictions and shortcommings of the stock DMC air box, the K&N filter
alone should be a significant improvement.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 06:38:11 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>
Subject: Re: Is Dave Sontos still around?

Alas, the rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Actually, I've
been in Ireland hob knobbing with the DOA group and just got back last
night.

my new web site is at http://personal.picusnet.com/dsontos/

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 09:05:35 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

I looked at the photo you took of the engine compartment.

I am curious though, how/why is the engine cover in a vertical position.  Is
the louver missing?

The engine is dressed nicely

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:33:21 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From what I remenber seeing this D had no louver, Kinda odd looking too

Paul S

VIN    Sill looking

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:09:13 -0700
From: "Donald Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>

This poses an interesting question.:  When the DeLorean is in motion , what
direction is the net air flow in the engine compartment?  It could be top to
bottom in which case the filter location might work just fine.

Don Ekhoff

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 16:18:16 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

Yes..he didn't have one fitted.

Chris P DOC UK

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:32:50 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: blackout headlight covers

In a message dated 6/1/01 12:48:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, james_at_dml_usadmc.com
writes:

> blackout covers

Great!  Been trying to find a source for a year.  How much?  (Though I'll
have to wait until my wallet recovers from Eurofest.)

-Wayne

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:02:13 -0000
From: tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Turn signals

Recently the left front turn signal stopped working and the left rear
started flashing in double time which from my experience is normal
with one bulb out.  When the front bulb was replaced it works but the
turn signals still flash in double time.  Next thought was the
signal/flasher unit going bad.  It does however flash the hazard
signal at a normal speed. Any ideas anyone?

Ron

BK2-FTR

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:03:31
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Question about on-car spin balancing tires

I spin-balance on-the-car the tires on my '38 Buick, '81 DMC, & the ho-hum
freebee '78 Volare'.  All four tires can be balanced on the car & it is felt
this is a bit more "thorough" technique.  Drive Stainless    Robert VIN 6924

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:23:24 -0000
From: tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com

Well, in response to my own question about double time on the
flashers.  I quess I should have used the Google search at the
DMCNEWS site. Heres what I found and it worked.

From: James Espey, mikasa_at_dml_goodnet.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 22:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Fast turn signal

A few weeks ago I posted a message about my "blankety-blank" blinker.
All
the bulbs were good, flasher unit was good, and I performed the "nut
&
bolt" tail light modification, still the left turn signal blinked
twice
as fast as the left. I took aprt the front turn signal housing and
socket. A little corroded, but not bad, but I cleaned it out anyway.
No
luck. The more aI played with it I noticed that if I held the
bulb "just
right", it would work fine. It was too loose in the socket, it
appeared.
I had the factory original bulbs, so I know the bulb was right for
the
application. Too make along story short, I very slightly squeezed the
socket at the open end with a pair of pliers, making it VERY SLIGHTLY
oval shaped. The bulb fits snugly, but is easily removable and it
works
GREAT again. Probably not the "right" way to fix it, but it works.

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 20:01:34
From: "robert parker" <roberthparker_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Eurofest

I second the accolades!!   I also found it interesting that I met a couple
from Hamburg that purchased their DMC from Edmond, Okla. retaining the
expired inspection sticker in the windshield. Our VIN's are ~30 apart, also.
Theirs probably came from an OKC dealer, mine came from the Tulsa dealer. A
small DMC world!   Drive Stainless  Robert VIN 6924

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 13:12:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean t shirts

I've been thinking about making some DeLorean designs for myself, but if
others are interested, I'd be happy to offer shirts and more. The only
hesitation I have is that I don't know who owns the rights to the DMC
logo or the name "DeLorean".

If we can get over that hurdle, I can begin work right away.

-Christian

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 20:47:47 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

Air flow is sucked from the bottom of the engine bay from the
underside of the car, and is exhausted out thru the engine cover and
louvers. Takes a little getting used to in the summer when you look
up in the rear view mirror to see the constant mirage following you
around :)

Trust me, you do not want to have the fresh air intake for the engine
located in the engine compartment. Aside from the motor itself, you
also have the catalytic converter and the muffler in the compartment
as well that are generating a good amount of heat themselves. Aside
from water, a motor also rids itself of heat via hot exhaust gases.

I don't know if removal of the louvers would change things by
allowing air flow to come down from then roof, and across the engine
cover. If it does, I suppose then that you could go so far as to
create a "shaker" hood (or engine cover) for an air filter. But the
bigger question remians: Why bother? There's already 2 cool air
intakes and plenty of room for innovation around the engine.

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 14:52:55 -0700
From: Trevor L Johnson <comet4055_at_dml_juno.com>

The DeLorean Store sells non-member clothing with a flying DeLorean
Design, Also there are two new shirts, a very simple black polo with
"DeLorean" On the front. and a new t-shirt fashioned after the Silver
racing stripe. these two will not be on the site for a while but the
flying DeLorean comes in a standard tee, Henly and a mock turtle neck.
All can be seen and purchased from the DeLorean Store

Trevor Johnson
DMC #s 4055 and 6974
www.deloreanstore.com
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:00:11 EDT
From: Meyerleem_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: fuel pump

Thanks for the help with my fuel problem. My pump did have power to it but
the intake line was split so it was drawing in lots of air. I believe this
must have burned out the pump because now it still has power to it and you
can feel it jerk if you're holding it but does'nt pump. I assume it needs a
new pump. The fuel pump that was in it was a Bosch #0580254957 will this work
correctly in my car? does it make any difference that the car has twin turbos?
                                                Thanks Lee
                                                vin#1699

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 18:06:50 -0600
From: "Steve Bunnell" <dmcsteve_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: start problem

Hi list,  I've been away for a while. What's been going on?  I have a few questions for you experts...

I'm having a starting problem with my D.  I'm pretty sure its fuel related and not electrical.  I've been reading a lot of the back issues and lord knows there are A LOT of issues on hot and cold start problems!  When cold my car usually starts right away, but it will stall if I try to idle at a stop sign for the first minute or two of driving.  After that its fine.  If I shut the car down and start it again within an hour it starts okay.  But if I wait 2 or 2 1/2 hours the car will fire up right away and stall imediately.  Then it won't turn over for about five to ten minutes.  When it does, its a rough idle for a minute.  Finally, if I wait over three hours and then start the car (when it completly cooled off, i'm assuming)  it will start okay again.  At first, I thought it was a hot start problem, but even when its cold started, it will stall for the first minute or so of driving.  If I hold the engine at 2000 rpms for about a minute and a half, it will idle normally.  Afte!
r any start hot or cold, if I keep my foot on the accelerator immediatly after starting and hold it at 2000 rpms for a minute or two, the car will perform fine.  I think, from reading the back issues, it might be the check value doo-hicky in the fuel pump.  Maybe the fuel isn't staying in the line.  Could my accumulator be the problem as well?  Or maybe its something completely different?  What do you guys think?

Also, I was wondering if the Fuse ratings listed in the Workshop Manual were all correct, or if some of you have found it best to use other rated fuses for certain ones?  I think I remember dmc Houston having an update kit.  Is this because some of the originals are incorrect or is it just for people who need to clean up their fuse boxes?+-

Please email me privately at dmcsteve_at_dml_hotmail.com unless you have new info to share with everyone.  I don't want to take up the list space for my silly problems!  :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any input.

-Steve Bunnell
#11611
Boulder, CO

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:06:10 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

  I'm going to be making up some new designs for people attending the West
Coast DeLorean show this September (please forgive the sameless plug). I
made the logo for Ken K's show in Cleveland and I'm working on designs for
Memphis 2002.

What kind of designs would everyone like to see? Graphic designs? Photo
designs? Or perhaps comic/cartoon designs?

Ken..  Registration for the show will be available soon!

Ken Montgomery	Sacramento, CA  VIN #10911  'OUTTIME'
http://www.jps.net/arkham/delorean/delorean01.htm
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com  mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com