From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 581
Date: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 5:23 AM

1. Re: Clutch pedal
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

2. Automatic trans - GC fixed
From: "Arne Hofmann (Beta LAYOUT GmbH)" <arne.hofmann_at_dml_pcb-pool.com>

3. high idle speed
From: "Arne Hofmann (Beta LAYOUT GmbH)" <arne.hofmann_at_dml_pcb-pool.com>

4. Re: Speakers (was cd player installation)
From: Jan van de wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>

5. Re: Custom Chrome contact info
From: danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com

6. A one off factory Delorean W/a SS frame
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

7. RE: Delorean w/ 4500 Miles up for grabs (maybe)
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

8. Dead Market?
From: eurojet_at_dml_sdcoe.k12.ca.us

9. Re: high idle speed
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

10. Re: high idle speed
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: AngleDrive Gear cores
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

12. Mystery Wire Again
From: "J Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_netusa1.net>

13. First Drive in my DeLorean
From: "JamesRG" <jamesrg_at_dml_btinternet.com>

14. Re: Mystery Wire Again
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

15. DeLorean Car Show Graceland
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:25:18 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch pedal

Paul,

The condition you are describing indicates a possible problem with the clutch master cylinder. In rare cases a failure of an internal seal can cause the piston to bind resulting in the condition you describe.

DMC Joe
Tech Support

"We're here to help you"

Web Site: <http://www.deloreanservices.com"> DeLorean services.com
DMC.tv is in your future .....
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:14:59 +0200
From: "Arne Hofmann (Beta LAYOUT GmbH)" <arne.hofmann_at_dml_pcb-pool.com>
Subject: Automatic trans - GC fixed

Thanks Mark and Walter for your help.
My Governor problem is sorted out ! Ater taking the pcbs out of
the small white box next to the transmission, I cut the plug in
two parts and flapped out the two pcbs. Now I could examine them
properly for the first time. I found two burned tracks! After fixing
them with a piece of wire, I installed the whole thing in a box
in the engine compartment. First test drive with the fixed and
updated (new caps and additional 0.1uF over IC GND and VCC)
Governor - WONDERFUL ! Never had my Delorean shifting so
nice, smooth AND at the right time.

Arne

> I found it!  But not in the archives.  I found it using a search utility on
> my own hard drive.  I suppose it won't hurt to have the whole thing re-posed
> to the archives again -- it is very valuable advice in my opinion.
>
> Also about starting in second gear.  Yep, I stand corrected.  I was
> remembering what my old (bad) GC did with a blown cap.  With both solenoids
> off, you are in 3rd gear.

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:19:25 +0200
From: "Arne Hofmann (Beta LAYOUT GmbH)" <arne.hofmann_at_dml_pcb-pool.com>
Subject: high idle speed

Hi again,
all the time I start my D, the engine has high idle
speed for about 15 seconds, before it comes down
to the normal ~750rpm. I read in the manual that this
is o.k. for a cold engine. Unfortunatly my car does this
also with warm/hot engine.
Any ideas ?

Arne

Beta LAYOUT GmbH
Feldstrasse 2
65326 Aarbergen

Tel.: 0049 6120 907010
Fax.: 0049 6120 907014

http://www.pcb-pool.com
http://www.schablone.de
arne.hofmann_at_dml_pcb-pool.com

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:46:45 GMT
From: Jan van de wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>
Subject: Re: Speakers (was cd player installation)

Jim wrote:

> Andy,
> I did the same thing when I installed my new radio.
[snip]
> I now need more bass what do you suggest?

When I did my Stereo, I put a couple of speakers into the rear wall, under the window, you
can see my setup in the files-section of the list at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/files/Aftermarket%20Stereo%20in%20%2305141/>

I'm not the only on who did this, if you look at
<http://www.specialTauto.com/talk-view.htm>, you'll see the exact same speakers, only
mounted closer together. On mine the CD-changer is in between, so they are more apart. The
whole system sounds and feels great, the volume can go up to "35", but when I go beyond
"25" my ears start to hurt, even with only 4x35Watts of output.

Good luck with your car,

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

Check out the DeLorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/
--------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:32:20 -0000
From: danielpwillis_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Custom Chrome contact info

Aaron,

Have you got their web address? www.custom-chrome.co.uk ?

It does have their details on the site - although I have no idea if
they work at the moment.
I have e-mailed them in the past - they needed the car to design a
muffler.... but that was a while ago.

Dan
Vin#5641 - Maddie - Oct'81 - UK

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:56:55 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: A one off factory Delorean W/a SS frame

I think you are getting Lotus and Legend confused.

Both cars 501 and 502 (along with 528, 530, and 558) were sent to Legend
Industries for work on the Turbo Prototype.  I do not think Lotus had
anything to do with those cars.  There were also 2 Alpines that Legend
used for turbo work.

When Legend closed up, everything (including the cars) were sold at
auction.

I don't think the SS frame made it in to any of those cars.  The SS
frame idea was killed before car 500 was produced. (We saw 500 in
Cleveland, and I don't remember it having a SS frame).

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:20:33 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Delorean w/ 4500 Miles up for grabs (maybe)

Mike,

It is not that expensive to have the car shipped to the DMC service
center of your choice.

Call the well known DMC service centers, and I am sure they can arrange
for pickup.

Marc

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:08:17 -0000
From: eurojet_at_dml_sdcoe.k12.ca.us
Subject: Dead Market?

Is anyone buying DeLoreans? Mine is for sale and I'm not getting any
serious bites. I was afraid to put it up for sale because I thought
that it would be gone in a few days and I'd regret selling it but now
I wonder if I ever will. I don't want to open up the can of worms
about their worth, but I think that 16K for an almost perfect D isn't
too much to get. It seems like everyone is looking for the bargain of
the century or they just want more photos for their collections.
Anyone know the average selling time for our cars? Where's the best
place to advertise? Someone, please buy my beautiful DeLorean! It
needs a good home and wants to be appreciated again. I need the money
so that I can travel this summer. Thanks,
Fil Vigil

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:11:42 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: high idle speed

Check the throttle linkage and be sure when it is at or returning to
idle that the idle micro switch is clicking. Sometimes it is just on
the edge or the cable has some slight drag and it doesn't hit the
switch "smartly". Also check at WOT (wide open throttle) that the
pedal isn't hitting the floor, the linkage at the pedal bends if the
cable has too much drag and when it bends you can't get full travel.
You should have the throttle recall and the cable lubricated with
anti-freeze! Look in the owner's manual and review starting procedures
for a cold and a hot engine.

-- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Arne Hofmann (Beta LAYOUT GmbH)"
<arne.hofmann_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> Hi again,
> all the time I start my D, the engine has high idle
> speed for about 15 seconds, before it comes down
> to the normal ~750rpm. I read in the manual that this
> is o.k. for a cold engine. Unfortunatly my car does this
> also with warm/hot engine.
> Any ideas ?
>
> Arne

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:38:08 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Arne,
There are several things which can control idle speed on start up. The 1st
thing I would do is check out or replace the Idle speed thermister. This is
what senses the temp of the water and changes resistance that the idle speed
ECU reads and then adjust the motor. The idle switch has to be adjusted
properly also to power the ECU or nothing will happen. Make sure you have no
vacuum leaks on the tube going into the the lower part of the intake
manifold. Since the idle does come down, this would be my first thing to
check. There are other compoents that will effect idle, but it would be more
to do with staying high or low all the time. Example, open or shorted diode,
Vacuum, Throttle plates not closing, or bad Idle motor. or even a bad Idle
ECU.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:04:49 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: AngleDrive Gear cores

In a message dated 6/10/01 11:45:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net
writes:

> we have angle drive cores available for PJ Grady conversations.

Here's a good reason to keep all your old, "no-good" parts that don't have to
be turned in for a core charge.  Some day you (or a subsequent owner) may
need to rebuild it.  Many items pass from "available OEM or new" to
"rebuildable" before they become "no longer available" then "available again
at last, new and improved."  I don't throw out hardly anything but oil
filters.

Wayne A. Ernst
DMCTech Group

Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:23:55 -0500
From: "J Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_netusa1.net>
Subject: Mystery Wire Again

        John wrote :The blue wire with the yellow stripe comes from the ignition resistor
bank on the rear fire wall and goes to the starter solonoid. This wire
supplies power to the ignition coil  through the resistor. Do not hook it up
directly to the coil.

              Just to make sure I'm reading this correctly. The wire SHOULD be connected
to the solonoid, just not to the coil correct? What kind of difference will there be compared
to it not have been connected to my starter at all since I've had my car (over a year now)?
On a side note. I replaced my negative ground cables today and I can't believe what a
difference it made. Before it never seemed all that strong when it came to starting but now
it is like a brand new car. Thanks everyone.......................Jason

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:50:13 +0100
From: "JamesRG" <jamesrg_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: First Drive in my DeLorean

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info on my question about the CG and tranny fluid etc. It
was my 21st birthday on Sunday and I am now driving my DeLorean as
previously I could not get insured on it, anyway it drove like a dream.
The only problem I found which could be related to the dreaded CG unit was
that the car often started off in second gear especially after it had been
running for a while and had warmed up. Unfortunately this obviously
dramatically cuts the off the line speed, however when it did start of in
first it was allot quicker than I was expecting.
I have not experienced any erratic shifting i.e. it does not change gear at
the wrong time or shift down unexpectedly and it was incredibly smooth at
shifting smoother than any other auto I have been in anyway.

So my main question is how long will it be until someone starts producing CG
units that can withstand a bolt of lighting ? I m really cautious about
buying a 20 year old part for $400.00 and always having it in the back of my
mind that it could, and probably will, at sometime fail again.
 I know there are some real electrical buffs on this list. surly someone is
interested in making some money from redesigned units. From what I have
heard the actual components in the shift computer are very basic and
probably not very expensive, if someone can reproduce the CG unit in a more
durable form for $400 then put me down for one.

Cheers

James RG
England
# 5462

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:34:33 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Mystery Wire Again

Jason, This wire bypases the first resistor on the start up block and goes
directly to the second resistor. This adds a little more current or power to
the coil for start up. Then when the solenoid doesn't have any more voltage
going to it to help start the car. It's not being used .Only during startup.
You may work just fine w/o it. But there may be a time when you wish it was
hooked up. If one end is already hooked up to the ignition coil resistor on
the back fire wall, then the other end goes to the starter solenoid.

Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:25:28 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Graceland

[MODERATOR NOTE: THIS IS A REPEAT. We were told that there may have been a glitch in delivery today. dave]

This is a repeatFor those of you going to Graceland the Hotel will begin to take bookings for
June 13-16 or 17th 2002 starting 9:00 AM CT on  Saturday June 16th.

There are only 100 rooms at Graceland and I had published a list of prices
and rooms before. They range from $79.00 to $479.00 per night with most rooms
between the $79.00 and $129.00 range. (Note: Cleveland used up 135 rooms.)

The Web page has been updated and includes the daily events already scheduled.
<A HREF="http://deloreancarshow.com/">DeLoreanCarshow.com</A>

The Hotel page has been updated but after talking to Graceland today they
have given me a toll free number for you to use for reservations

Graceland 877-777-0606
when you get the recording dial 1.

As with any event and reservations everyone at Graceland may not be up to
speed depending on time of day that you call.  If you have any questions or
you do not feel you got the correct information please ask for Christina.
(ask for her only if there is a problem).
There will be extra staff on duty June 16th to aid you in your reservations.

YOU DO NEED TO STATE YOU ARE WITH THE CAR SHOW TO GET A ROOM

I am anticipating that this show will be a sellout.

If you reserve a room now you may cancel at any time if you need to without
penalty up to the day of check in.

NOTE:

For those of you asking about JZD

At the last show John and Kathryn DeLorean both indicated they were coming.
As of Saturday June 9th I spoke to both Kathryn and John and they intend to
come and I have begun making travel arrangements for them.
Mark DeLorean is planning on coming but business needs will come first so I
will announce his confirmation when I have it.

As I did last time I will have a letter of intent from them posted sometime
prior to the individual events registration in January.

The DeLorean Car Show as in the past does not guarentee the appearance of any
of the scheduled guests. It is subject to change without notice although I
don't see anything that would change things other than health reasons.  I
will be adding a few items as time goes on.

There will be a driving tour of Memphis similar to the one in Cleveland  ( I
don't know how anyone could top Mike and Patty but we are trying)

If you plan to go please book your room ASAP.  This will allow me to try to
make alternative hotel arrangements if required.  There is a convention going
on that week and hotel rooms are tight.
Graceland will sell out so some of you will be off site.

It is anticipated that this show will be larger than the Cleveland Show.

Thanks you all for your support and I am looking forward to a bigger and
Better show in Memphis.

PS
If  you liked the raffles last time they will be bigger and better this time.

Also there will be more awards for individuals like farthest traveled etc
where the audience chooses the winner like last time.

Again thank you for your support and I will try as I did last time to
accommodate everyone however this time that may not be possible so register
early. Everything is on a first come first serve basis.

If you have any questions unless they apply to the whole group please e-mail
me privately