From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 589
Date: Friday, June 15, 2001 3:30 PM

From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

From: paulheymeson_at_dml_thefreeinternet.co.uk

From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_imap.maya.com>

From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

From: aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: Trevor L Johnson <comet4055_at_dml_juno.com>

From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Jay Jones <JayJones_at_dml_FirstFederal-Bank.com>

From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com

19. Re: Quick question
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

20. RE: hum in idle speed regulator
From: "Brandon" <bsmoody_at_dml_kih.net>

21. Air Metering Unit
From: "J Rowe" <rowejj_at_dml_netusa1.net>

22. Re: Paint removal
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

23. Re: Cooling fans refuse to work right
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

24. RE: Cooling fans refuse to work right
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

25. Car for sale
From: "Greg Bell" <gbell_at_dml_esd.uga.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:33:50 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Nationality of DeLorean

I have been able to show my car as a special interest, 80's sport, British
(all of those pounds invested), and DeLorean (when I was able to get at
least five cars to show up).  My car was always welcome because it is so
different than all of the other cars in the show.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:53:21 -0700
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: A/c fixes

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the "proper" way to convert the
system over was to change the dryer.  I think the dryer is in the
accumulater and one must change the accumulater to change the dryer.
Therefore, a system changeover is MUCH more than $35.  Please let me know
the proper procedure.

Brian 16584

>From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
>To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [DML] A/c fixes
>Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:16:10 -0500
>
>Converting to R-134a is cheap. One kit from Walmart for $35 is almost
>enough.
>However, you have to make sure you don't get any air or moisture inside.
>I had a friend with a little pump that we hooked up to the system and let
>it

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:55:47 -0700
From: "Lynn Metz" <metzlynn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling problems

I seem to have the opposite problem.  My car will run for 10-15 mins before
the temp guage even moves.  I assume the thermo. is stuck open.  Does this
often happen?

Brian 16584

>From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [DML] Cooling problems
>Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:13:31
>
>Sacha,
>I had to change the thermostat in my delorewan it has 21,000 miles on it
>and supposedly the previous owne drove it at least 10 miles a week.

[moderator snip]

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:14:58 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: DMC Prices

Going thru various automotive magazines you will always find a good
number of premium quality DeLorean's for sale at many well recognized
classic and exotic car dealerships. While looking and visiting some
of the dealers over the years when searching for a car of my own, I
can tell you that they would never allow a poor quality D (or any
other car for that mater) on any of their lots for fear of damaging
their reputations. Keep in mind I'm speaking of high class dealers,
not mom and pop places. Which is why when you find a car located at
one of these dealers they will usually have a price tag anywhere from
$20K-30K. With many of these cars available, I have a hard time
beliveing that someone is going to wait 12 months, when they can have
a car just as good for $30K-40K less. Could it be cause of a
warranty? I doubt it. I don't believe a person who collects classic
cars keeps a waranty on his list of standards when chosing a car.
Chances are no matter what the car, if you can afford $60K for it,
you can afford the repair bills as well. Even so, DMC Houston is
$30,000 less on thier cars, an they come with what appears to be the
same warranty.

Back when D1 was selling cars for $30K, I was told that there was a
waiting list for 3 months to get the car. Once D1 had the deposit for
the car, they would then locate a D that was being sold by a private
party and purchase it for me. They would choose the best looking car,
that required the least amount of work. From there they would
replace/repair what needed it, and then deliver the car to me. Upon
delivery, the balance would be due. When I then asked about labor
rates to work on a car that I would purchase on my own for D1 to
raise to the same standard, the woman scoffed and became even more
rude than before. I don't think D1 wants to be a repair shop any
more. Perhaps that is the reason for the emphasis on trying to only
sell cars (and the reason for the high price). Although I don't see
what warrants the constantly raising price.

As a side note if anyone is interested, it looks as though DeLorean
One pretty much "cut and pasted", then switched a couple of words
around from DMC Houston's advertisement page for refurbished
DeLorean's onto their web site.

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:46:32 -0000
From: paulheymeson_at_dml_thefreeinternet.co.uk
Subject: Quick question

Hi List,

Regarding my accumulator which I hope to replace this weekend due to
hot starting.
I just heard a knocking noise coming from the area where it is
tonight after I switched off it happens about 6 seconds.
Does this happen when it's knackered?

Cheers all.
Paul UK741.

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:05:16 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Front License Plates

Obviously the usuall warning applies here.

The reason that most states have laws re: front plates is not to
identify you car easier in case of an accident, or any other wrong
doing. It's for speed enforcement. To check you speed via laser or
radar, the device needs something reflective, flat, and (usually)
verticle to bouce the signal off of. As I've read, the Corvette and
the Mazda RX-7 are the hardest vehicles to track, especially when
they're painted black. This is because black doesn't reflect light
that well, and because over all the cars design doesn't have many
flat portions to reflect off of. You can now imagine how this is on
the DeLorean. The only flat, verticle portions on the front are the
bumper and the spoiler (headlights are concave, so they don't always
work). And both of these are black. If you put a license plate on the
front, you will have a perfect target! As an example, I don't have my
plate mouted up front. Where I live, the city will place automated
radar check points to tell you your speed. The record for me is 12-15
feet before a check point could track me. I usually have to be right
up on them before they will register my speed. This isn't a license
to speed though. Unlike an automated check point, a person can move
around and adjust his/her aim at a target. Plus removal of the front
plate doesn't make you invisable. It just reduces the chances of
someone recording your speed.

Now, I am not advocating that any one break the law here. But if a
cop wants to pull you over for whatever reason, he/she will find one,
BELIEVE ME! Most time you'll only recieve a "fix it" ticket for
having no licence plate up front (check your local municipality for
regulations and/or fine amounts). So you can probably get out of this
ticket with little or no money. But in any case, this is much cheaper
than any sort of speeding ticket that you may recieve. I know alot of
folks here on the DML are looking for ways to not only keep their
insurace rate low, but to also retain their policies. If you are
going to get pulled over, it's more economical to recieve a ticket
for lack of a licence plate, then a ticket for speeding. Lack of a
front plate will also save you ALOT of headache if you community uses
the new (and disputed) photo-radar to track speed "offenders". Plus
the DeLorean just doesn't look as good with that peice of gawky
looking metal strapped to the front. But maybe that's just my
opinion...

If anyone has any questions, e-mail me privately.

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:08:02 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: Nationality of DeLorean

I guess it's like when you were a kid. No one wants to invite a more
popular "person" to their party, because they don't want them to get
all the attention!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> Someone should tell the morons who run the "America only" car shows!
>
> FWIW, The British car shows (for the most part) have welcomed
DeLoreans

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:39:55 -0000
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Re. Euro front plate holder

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., dmc12_at_dml_b... wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have seen a Euro holder advertised on a German stainless steel
site
> but unfortunately I can remember the address, it was something like
> DeLorean steelproducts.com ?

The address for this is:

http://www.delorean-steel-products.com/frmsetel.html

That is for holding the rear plate, though, not the front one.

John Yeoman

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:15:15 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Cooling problems

Gus,

Now I understand; thank you.

DMC Joe <dmchelp_at_dml_att.net>

www.dmc.tv ....... Starts Monday June 18

DeLorean services

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:23:00 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Cooling problems, update

Sacha,

You are making a wise decision to leave the thermostat replacement to the shop. If you need a thermostat quickly you should be able to get one at your local parts store or a Volvo parts counter. Ask for the waterpump thermostat for a 1980 to 1986 260 or 760 GLE V-6 gasoline version. Actually the shop that you bring your DeLorean to probably has more resources to obtain that part.

DMC Joe

www.dmc.tv ....... Starts Monday June 18

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:48:28 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_imap.maya.com>
Subject: hum in idle speed regulator

Ever since completing my water pump replacement project, I have had a
rough idle problem, mostly when the engine is cold