From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 598
Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 6:36 AM

1. Bowie, MD Car Show SAT. Meet Info
From: "Uncleump" <uncleump_at_dml_earthlink.net>

2. RE: Vinyl Door molding
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

3. a few maybe related engine problems (long post!)
From: "Aaron King" <floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:56:33 -0400
From: "Uncleump" <uncleump_at_dml_earthlink.net>
Subject: Bowie, MD Car Show SAT. Meet Info

Mike Pack is having some email trouble, so he asked if
I would pass
along the following info:

This Saturday, we will meet at the Hampton Inn
in
Bowie, Maryland at 12:00.  At about 12:20, we will
depart for the
Tucker Collection.  We are scheduled to
be there at 1:30.

The
Hampton Inn is the same hotel where out of town
attendees will be
staying.

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:10:20 -0500
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Vinyl Door molding

Make sure both surfaces are clean of any old adhesive
before using the Emblem Adhesive.  3M also makes an Adhesive
Remover that is excellent.  It helps to use a length of
masking tape on the body panel to act as a guide when
reattaching the rub strips.

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:27:40
From: "Aaron King" <floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com>
Subject: a few maybe related engine problems (long post!)

OK, here's what I have.  A few relatively minor problems, all relating to
the way the engine runs.  I don't know if there's a connection between them,
but something seems kind of suspicious.  I'll list them and hope someone
smarter than myself can figure one or more of these problems out.  For the
record, the car is an April 81 automatic, vin 1217, always garaged.

Problem #1: Cold starting stumbliness.  The engine starts up just fine
(except for the next problem which I'll address later) regardless of whether
or not the engine is hot or cold.  After starting up a cold engine, however,
the initial acceleration is hesitant.  The engine stumbles and sounds like
it's choking.  After pressing the accelerator for a few seconds it seems to
smooth itself out, until the next try from a dead stop where it repeats the
hesitating and choking.  The problem goes away entirely after 1 to 2 minutes
of driving.  This has happened since I started driving the car a couple of
months ago.

Problem #2: Randomly will not start.  Not too often, but often enough to be
annoying, the car will not start.  I get in, turn the key, and nothing
happens.  I hear the familiar two-second hum, and all the accessories
(radio, lights, etc.) come on, but the car does not turn over at all.
Usually I try to start it a few more times, but nothing.  I sit and wait for
a couple of seconds, then try again and it starts right up like nothing was
wrong.  This appears to occur when the engine is colder, but it has happened
when the engine was hot.  This has happened off and on since I started
driving the car.

Problem #3: Terrible gas mileage!  Ever since I got the car, it has been
getting between 13 and 15 MPG.  I drive mostly in the suburbs with some
light highway driving now and then.  I don't drive too fast, or accelerate
like a maniac, so I'd expect it to be a little higher.  I know the O2 sensor
is new and operating correctly, but I don't know what else to check.

Problem #4: Accelerates like a brick.  I've lamented about this one before,
but I'm listing it here just in case it gives any clues.  It is a dog off
the line.  My car seems to have no jump at all in the lower RPMs, but feels
OK once it gets going.  It was suggested that I have a faulty fuel
enrichment circuit, but I tested it by unplugging the electrical connection
for it on the right side of the engine.  It made a big difference when I
unplugged it.  It sounded terrible, so I plugged it back in.  I take from
the experiment that the fuel enrichment circuit is functioning properly.
Grrr.  This problem has existed since I started driving the car.

Problem #5: The last one I have.  It just started today.  I drive my car to
the store and back this morning at about 11:00 and everything is fine.  I
start up my car again at about 4:00 in the afternoon, and the idle sounds
terrible!  Almost like it's misfiring or something.  The idle sounds very
uneven and it makes the car shake a lot more than usual.  It accelerates
normally (slow) and shifts smoothly, but at every stoplight, I hear that
deep cranking sound and the car vibrates along with it.  (I should add that
even though the idle is terrible, it is still at ~750 RPM)  I hate new
problems!

I'm sorry for posting all of my woes here, but I couldn't think of any other
way to get a bunch of people in on this.  I don't know if any of the
problems are related, but I suspect some of them are.  I really hope I can
get some of this stuff fixed and once again, sorry for being such a
nuisance.

Thanks!

Aaron King
Kirkland, WA