From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 599
Date: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 5:00 PM

1. Re: a few maybe related engine problems (long post!)
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

2. Re: Trapped in a DeLorean?
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

3. Re: Nationality of DeLorean
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

4. RE: how hot is too hot?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

5. hard driving
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: a few maybe related engine problems (long post!)
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

7. FW: how hot is too hot?
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

8. Re: a few maybe related engine problems
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

9. turn signals
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

10. DeLorean Stalker!!
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com

11. RE. Trapped in a DeLorean
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com

12. Re: door dings caused by window regulator
From: "John L. Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>

13. Re: door dings caused by window regulator
From: "John L. Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>

14. Re: a few maybe related engine problems (long post!)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

15. Castrol GTLMA DOT 4 Brake Fluid
From: "John L. Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>

16. Re: a few maybe related engine problems (long post!)
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

17. : Bowie British Car day & Tucker car collection tour
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

18. Re: "Biff Tannen" to make guest appearance
From: stephen_at_dml_bttf.com

19. Re: Trapped in a DeLorean?
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

20. RE: Extremely strange DeLorean sighting in MN
From: Jay Jones <JayJones_at_dml_FirstFederal-Bank.com>

21. Re: a few maybe related engine problems (long post!)
From: Jim A Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

22. Car Show Flyer
From: "Jack Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>

23. Re: Trapped in a DeLorean?
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

24. DMC Nose Bra
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

25. Re: Trapped in a DeLorean?
From: gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com

26. lower door trim
From: wmack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:11:01 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: a few maybe related engine problems (long post!)

I've had 4 out of 5 of the symptoms you've had (#2 excluded). Problem
turned out to be two things wrong with my engine:

1. Frequency valve not connected.
2. Spark plugs incorectly gapped.

The wires in the plug for the frequency valve had been pulled way
back into the socket. Most likely the result of someone pulling on
the wires, rather than the plug to disconnect. As for my spark plugs,
I had got a set that crossed over. Problem was that I trusted the guy
behind the counter when he said they were pre-gapped. I assumed, and
well you know how the saying goes! :)

But after these two issues were corrected, the idle was smooth, pick
up is great, and the gas milage improved quite a bit. Have these
symptoms appeared suddenly, or have things just slowly gotten worse
to the point where you are now? Backtrack a little, and that may help
you sort things out.

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:41:21 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: Trapped in a DeLorean?

Yet another fine example of "rumor journalism". I've even read
articles stating that in cold climates the gullwing doors had
problems when they become frozen shut. While the gullwing design has
both it's advantages and disadvantages over the conventional side
hinged door, I don't imagine ice would be any more of a problem on a
DeLorean, than it would be on any other car. I do believe that I did
read a story once where a woman was locked in a prototype car that
was on display in Cleavland (correct me if I'm wrong). But being a
prototype, I believe that it had a much different locking system. It
is true that when parked on hills and angles, the doors had some
dificulty opening and closing. Which is why the guideblocks were
installed to insure proper latching.

I have a copy of the DeLorean gold portfolio. Inside there is an
article by a man who was a gynacologist in Texas who purchased a DMC-
12 (IMHO it's a bad article written by snotty man who wasn't happy
with his purchase for whatever reason). In the article he gave his
opinion on the doors being jammed shut in both a rollover and/or a
malfunction. And how he carried both an unbrella and a sledge hammer
in his car to bust the windshield if the car rolled over. Everything
in the article was based off of this man's opinion, NOT facts. Which
is interesting, because up untill this article, no one ever really
thought/wrote about getting stuck inside.

But, I can tell you this; I'm 6'2", and weigh around 225. And I can
EASILY side over the center console between the driver and passenger
seats. When I was installing the new door handle on my passenger side
door, I screwed up on of the cables, and had the door jammed shut on
me. I just slid over, and went out the other side. Let it be known
that this was a human error on my part, and not a problem with the
door. I did solve the problem later on. "Trapped" inside? Been there,
done that...

On the flip side, if you find the DeLorean to be a somewhat cramped
ride, you probably need to adjust your seat and/or steering wheel.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_j...> wrote:
> Hello List members,
>
> I just read on a web site something which indicates that there may
have been some incidences of people being trapped in their DeLoreans
because the doors wouldn't open. At least that was one person's
opinion. The site goes on to say that the problem can be fixed.

> I find the possibility of being trapped in my DeLorean kind of
scary because of the cabin's rather cramped quarters. Is this really
a potential problem, and if so, Is there a remedy? If so, what is it?

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:06:58 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: Nationality of DeLorean

When JZD decided for whatever reason to have the car completly re-
engineered from the groud up, the only suitable choice for the job
was Lotus. They had the most reasonable price, and were within the
best deadline. Even if built in the USA, I would have to say that
Lotus would have played a role none the less. But if it had of been
built on US soil, I would have to agree that it is very doubtful the
DMC-12 would have gotten off the ground. Even if they would have had
the same funding, I doubt the workforce would have been as good. It
is an American car because the company is American. But it is a
totally european design. I imagine and American workforce would have
had the same amount of problems adjusting to building a DeLorean
design, as the Irish workforce had learning to build cars overall.

I know this may ruffle a few feathers, but there would have been WAY
more politics and petty issues to resolve in the USA. Even reading a
story written by a worker at the Bricklin factory in New Brunswick.
When the Bricklin assembly lines started, everyone was eager to build
the new cars. But later on when the union came in and started talking
to people, they ended up killing a good deal of the workers moral.
That slowed down production, and lowered the build quality people put
into the cars. Chances are, this too would have happed to DMC in
America.

Bottom line: No matter what has happened to DMC, nor what could have
been, one thing is true. Northern Ireland was not just the best
choice, it was the only true possibility for success. Setting aside
what happened later on with the British govt., DMC probably never
would have gotten off the ground without their funding and early
support.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> IF the car had been built in the USA...... I doubt that there would
have
> been any Lotus involvement. Without their input, and the British
Taxpayers

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:26:15 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: how hot is too hot?

I had a cooling problem during very hot weather.  It turned out that when
the interior of the car got heat soaked, the cooling fan breaker would trip
because of the high ambient temperature.  This happened when I drove from
Mobile to Los Angeles for the DOA Expo.  A quick call to John Truscott
verified my suspicion.  I cleaned all of the connections and purchased a PC
fan to lay in the relay compartment to help cool the breaker.  Hint, leave
the cover off of the relay compartment and fold the carpet back so you get
good air circulation.  In L.
A. I purchased a fanzilla and installed a higher rated breaker.  Problem
solved?

Fast forward to Cleveland 2000.  Again during hot weather my fans would not
run, even with the AC on.  It turns out that once again the breaker was
tripping.  Yes all connections were cleansed and tightened and my grounds
were clean and tight.  I had the fanzilla but since the breaker was
tripping, there was no power available to turn the fan fail light on via the
fan zilla.

When I got home, I went through the schematic and the relay compartment.  I
found that by moving a couple of wires to different ports on the fanzilla
plugs, I could bypass the stock breaker and rely on the fanzillas fuses to
provide circuit protection.  By doing this, the fan fail light will work and
the troublesome breaker was eliminated.

I posted a description of what I did last year.  I think I labeled it "Fatal
Flaw" or something to that effect.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:32:37 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: hard driving

Hey all,

last night i was in my girlfriend's driveway waiting for her (of course..
heh) and i noticed a strange behavior from my car.  it's an '82 VIN11596,
manual tranny.  i was in neutral, idling at about 2000 rpm.  i slowly pushed
down on the gas, revving it up, because my car just got back on the road and
it's kind of weird for me to hear the car run perfectly again!  i just wanted
to hear it roar!!  so i floored it quickly, up to about 6000 rpm, then let
off and let it back down.  i thought i noticed one of my dash lights flicker
when it was up there so i tried it again.  and again. and again.  for some
reason my battery light turns on when i have the engine way up there in
RPM's.  then my girlfriend came out and yelled at me (it was 11pm in a quiet
neighborhood).  for some reason she didn't understand the importance of my
experiment!!  :-)    why is this light coming on?  i have the newer 130 amp
alternator with my stereo on quietly and my headlights on. that's it.   seems
kind of odd....

also, i was bored one night on the way home from work around 3 am and i was
at a light way out in the middle of nowhere.  my car was nice and warmed up
so i got a wild thought in my head - i'm going to try to squak the tires!
i'd done it before on accident but i thought it would be cool if i could
learn how to do it whenever i felt like it (childish intentions).  no matter
how stupid it sounds, i just thought i'd try it, what the hell.  well i took
it from dead stop with it in 1st gear, and revved it to around 3000 rpm and
took my foot off the clutch while depressing the gas a little bit more.  all
that did was make the car jerk like crazy until i behaved a little nicer with
the pedals.  i also tried just stomping the gas and releasing the clutch at
the same time.  either it sort of worked but not enough power, or it made the
car jerk very violently.  after about 3 tries i gave up because i didn't want
to break anything.  can someone explain to me what the jerking is that is
happening? i don't know much about manual transmissions (the D is the only
manual i've ever owned) and i'm just curious - i want to know it all!!!
please pardon my childish stupidity!!

later,
Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:42:37 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Aaron, The De Lorean not having a computer to constantly monitor and self
correct the air/gas mixture has to be adjusted periodicallyr especially when
the 02 sensor has been replaced. All your describing seems to me to be air
flow meter related  adjustment which is the positing of the control plunger..
I posted a new information on the web site about it under fuel system.
A 3mm allen wrench, in the hole in front of the fuel distributor to do the
adjustment with may do the trick. Don't take it out while doing the
adjustment, as you may loose your starting point. A 1/4 to 1/2 turn either
ditection may be enough. Be sure the car is normal operating  temp. ( hot ).
Then take the tool out and plug the hole. I will have the proper plug shortly.
John hervey
   http://www.specialtauto.com/fuelsystems.htm

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:53:34 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: FW: how hot is too hot?

Last years post was #10406 Tripin' Cooling Fans and Fanzilla

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:56:59 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: a few maybe related engine problems

> Problem #1: Cold starting stumbliness.  The engine starts up just fine ...
<snip>
>The problem goes away entirely after 1 to 2 minutes of driving.

I have this exact same problem, so I would also very much like to hear what
the Collective thinks about this issue.  For me, it lasts maybe 5 minutes,
or until the car is sufficiently warmed up.  During this warm up period, if
I try to raise the RPM to between 1000 and 2500 RPM, the engine loses power
and hesitates until it gets to above 2500 RPM, then it runs smoothly.  This
entirely disappears once warmed up.  I do not have the acceleration problems
you mention in #4.

Thanks,

-Hank Eskin #1619 (5-speed)

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:58:48 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: turn signals

Hello,
    For some reason I can not get my turn signals to work.  They do not work
on the 4 way position either.  The front two have new sockets and the rear
have new bulbs with screws through the rivets.(zilla boards are on the way)
what could be the problem?  its as if they are getting no power at all. all
the parking lights will come on.  The fuses are good and the connectors are
not pushed in.  I checked the ground connections near the master cylinder and
they are clean.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
David

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:18:13 -0000
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com
Subject: DeLorean Stalker!!

Hi all,

I think I am the first person to have a DeLorean stalker!

I drove my D to work on Tuesday and had my new springs fitted to the
front (thanks to Chris P DOC UK they look great). Anyway on my way to
work, approx 9 miles, I noticed a VW Polo had been behind me for a
long part of the journey, which was a bit odd as my route to work is
bit bazaar. Anyway I got to work and he pulled up around the corner
from me and came over. He told me how he had always wanted a DeLorean
and had never seen one in the flesh and that a friend of his had seen
it driving around Colchester at the weekend. He said when he saw it
he decided to follow, needless to say we chatted for 25 mins before I
insisted I had to go to work.

Is this the first case of a stalker who stalks cars?

James RG
England UK

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:27:05 -0000
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com

Yes!,

I have got my drivers door stuck before with me on the inside, I
think it was because my door locks were badly adjusted. I did S**t my
pants (not literally), I had to reach out of the window and unlock
the car using the key on the outside if I had dropped the key and
couldn't get out of the passenger side I could still be in there and
that was a year and a half ago!. Phew! :-)

Still haven't got round to fixing it and it does get stuck every once
in a while, guess I just like living on the edge.

James
England

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:02:13 -0000
From: "John L. Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: door dings caused by window regulator

Walter,

I took a close look at my doors and both have a small indentation
coming from the inside out.  I guess I am a victim of the window
motor also although I have the stock motors.  Could you tell me what
the "dry ice" method of trying to remove the dents is all about?

Thanks,
JR

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> I have the heavy duty window regulator in my passenger door, and I
just
> confirmed today that it is responsible for putting a dent in the
door skin. <snipped>

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:23:01 -0000
From: "John L. Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>

Robert,

What is the $5.00 fix?

Thanks,

JR

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Doc" <doctor280_at_dml_t...> wrote:
> I have not seen any dents like you are describing on any of the
Deloreans
> that I have looked at. I am still using the original regulators
that have
> been updated with my $5.00 fix. (2 years and still going strong) I
have been
> inside the doors of a few Deloreans and I have never come across
one that
> showed any signs that the regulator was making contacted with the
door. And
> just another thought, the new regulators mount the same as the
originals. I
> am really at a loss how you are getting that dent in that location.
The

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:09:40 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Aaron,

Thanks for your detailed explanation of your DeLorean problem. All of the items you mention are related to the fuel (acceleration) enrichment circuit. I have had a flood of requests for information on this subject over the last couple of weeks therefore beginning July 1 I will publish a step by step procedure on how to diagnose and repair this extremely common problem. Until than here are some facts concerning this subject that should get you started.

The fuel (acceleration) enrichment system consists of the Lambda ECU (emissions computer), two relay's, one electric fuel valve, two sensor three switches and over two dozen connection points. Most problems are related to the last item; intermittent or broken electrical connections.

The first item to check, and it appears from your description that you already have,  is the fuel frequency valve located on the right hand valve cover under the air cleaner box. After a cold engine start, the valve should buzz continuously for the first few minutes of engine idling. After, no more than five minutes the frequency should change to an intermittent buzz. If the frequency valve does not buzz at all or buzzes continuously after engine warm up you will experience poor idling, poor acceleration either when hot or cold, with possible stalling and or hard starting.

Of course all of the above is dependent on a problem free ignition and vacuum system.

DMC Joe

www.dmc.tv

"We're here to help you"

DeLorean Services

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:32:03 -0000
From: "John L. Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Castrol GTLMA DOT 4 Brake Fluid

Hello All,

Does anyone know where you can purchase the subject brake fluid?  I
have tried NAPA, AutoZone, Menards, Farm & Fleet and several local
parts places with no luck.

Thanks in advance,

JR

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:58:51 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

I think I can boil your problems down to three things to check for. I
will start with the acceleration problem first since it's the easiest.
Watch the tach and see if it is starting off in second gear. You can
tell because you will only see the tach jump once at the 2-3 shift.
 The other problem is a vacuum leak and the need to change the
secondary ignition system including cap, rotor, ignition wires, spark
plugs. Insect every hose and test for leaks, they occur in places you
can't always see or sometimes they get knocked off inadvertantly.
After you finish replacing all of these parts have the mixture set on
an emission analyzer.
 The final problem is electrical. Clean all conections paying
particular attention to "grounds" like the one on the frame in front
by the front left wheel. Start at the battery and work your way
through the car concentrating on the large connections first.
David Teirelbaum
vin 10757

your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:50:36 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: : Bowie British Car day & Tucker car collection tour

Please email me privately if you need directions to the designated gathering
area in Bowie on Saturday, June 23, 2001

Due to serious road construction in Georgetown, we are having dinner at the
downtown Annapolis waterfront.

Sincerely,
Michael Pack

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:58:12 -0000
From: stephen_at_dml_bttf.com
Subject: Re: "Biff Tannen" to make guest appearance

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "SteveDMC" <stevedmc_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> If anyone is interested in going and would possibly like to meet up
or stay in the same hotel please email me so we can make
arrangements.

http://members.aol.com/toyshow/shreveport.html
> You can email me directly at stevedmc(at)charter.net
>
> I know this even is so close but lets try to team up and possible
bring a few deloreans to this BTTF related event.

> See ya at the show,
> Steve Rice

Any movement on this?  Please let us know if there will be any
DeLoreans at this event as soon as possible so that we may plan
ahead.  We'll see about setting up a time during the weekend to allow
owners to have a photo op with Tom Wilson and their car if we know
about it ahead of time.

Email me at stephen(at)bttf.com for any of you making the trek to
Shreveport next weekend.  I also have discounted hotel rate
information I can pass along for anyone interested.  Thanks, and we
hope to see many of you there...

Stephen Clark
BTTF.com

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:58:59 +0800
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

Hi DMCers,

I was well and truely trapped in my DeLorean at Eurofest. It was a 'bummer'
and extremely embarrasing as I had a cameraman from the local TV station
riding in the passengers seat to film the procession from the Giants
Causeway to Bushmills.

My drivers door was stuck solid, and although numerous DMCers tried none of
us could get it to release. The passengers door was sticking intermittently.
As I'm not too mechanically minded maybe one of the Techno-Brit-DMCers can
advise what was going on (Mark/ChrisP?)

The car is now in England being serviced and doors fixed.

Cheers,              IAN (HongKong)
****************************

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:59:15 -0500
From: Jay Jones <JayJones_at_dml_FirstFederal-Bank.com>
Subject: RE: Extremely strange DeLorean sighting in MN

Well it wasn't me but I am new to the area of Hutchinson and I just bought
my first DeLorean.  It is Red unfortunately but I would love to get together
swap tech ideas and show off our cars.

Jay Jones, CNA
First Federal Bank
Network Administrator
Desk (320)-234-4553
Cell   (320)- 583-9652
jayjones_at_dml_firstfederal-bank.com
http://www.ffhh.com/

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:56:25 -0400
From: Jim A Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

I'm sure someone will comment about the 'control' wire going to the
starter- I have no idea what it does, but when it's missing, the car
starts "sometimes".  You should also be certain that you don't have a low
voltage situation and have the starting-system update (wire switch) that
is described in the update manual- Without that update, the starter will
click but not turn over... (I don't think you have this problem, though)

What I really wrote to say here was a problem I had with my distributor.
Way down deep in the distributor there are two weights held in by two
springs.  As the distributor spins faster, the weights move out with
centrifugal force (or the equal an opposite of the centripetal force, for
you losers out there) and advance the spark.  One of the springs down
there broke on my machine.  The only reason I found it was through a
systematic disassembly I've done on everything I've found.  SO, if you
have a power loss problem, but only at lower RPMs, and are desperate, you
can take your car apart again to check the springs.  I will admit that
the distributor could not be in a worse place in the car, and it's a pain
to get in there.  I've talked to quite a few people, none of whom have
ever heard of this problem happening... but I guess if it happened to me,
it can happen to you!  For what it's worth...

Jim Strickland
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:12:57 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <stiefel_at_dml_minalco.com>
Subject: Car Show Flyer

I have searched the archives with no luck as of yet.  I remember and had a
copy of a small flyer giving the details of the DeLorean for car shows and
such.  I am going to be interviewed by our local newspaper and would like to
keep the info as accurate as possible.  If anyone has this please email me
directly or attach it to an email.

Thanks

Jack & Virginia Stiefel
'81 DeLorean Vin 03461 Aug.1981 NYS Lic:1981 DMC
'97 Red BMW Z3 Convertible 6 cyl, not the baby 4
'99 Ford Expedition 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition
'01 Black PT Cruiser Limited w/Flames
Visit us at www.sacketmansion.com

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:18:09 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

If you have the original Lock module still installed in the car
either replace it with a LockZilla unit (Available through PJ GRady
or Delorean Services, DMC Joe) or I believe to just disconnect the
power going to the original lock unit. The module is the black box
that is located near the fuse block. The problem with the original
one was the small underated relays that are in them...they
would "fuse" themselves closed which kept the solenoids in the lock
position. If this was to ever happen, you are not locked in where
they need the jaws of life or anything..you can simply reach back
into the fuse compartment and pull the fuse to the module....that
will cut the power off to the solenoids and you can then unlock the
doors manually.

Steve

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:37:58 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: DMC Nose Bra

Many thanks to Wayne Ernst for the Nose Bra.  It looks and fits great.

In a few months, my DeLorean will be Twenty years old.  The custom bra will
help delay the inevitable sagging of the headlights ;-)

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:22:13 -0000
From: gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com

Yes, you can certainly be trapped in a DMC.

The door locks are activated by rather large solenoids, controlled by
the lock module.  The module is under-engineered and the relays can
stick when activated.  This would keep the solenoids powered, and
being very large they are impossible to overpower manually.

Should this happen to you, you can:

  a) wait for the solenoids to burn up
  b) wait for the battery to go dead
  c) unplug the lock module, in the relay box behind the passenger

or, buy the LockZilla, which replaces the stock module and restores
proper function.  Either way, the factory module failure is a matter
of "when" and not "if" so you should unplug your module NOW until you
can get it updated.

Gus Schlachter
Austin, TX
4695

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:59:45 -0400
From: wmack <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: lower door trim

How do you remove the lower piece of door trim?  I can get all the plastic
trees out (at least all the ones i can see).  But something is still keeping
it on.

Thanks
   Willie Mack
   Vin 5043