From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 610
Date: Thursday, June 28, 2001 5:46 AM

1. Re: Re: Otterstat question
From: milestwo_at_dml_aol.com

2. Transmission question
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

3. Re: Cooling fan malfunction
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

4. ETDOC meet- Biltmore Estate July 8
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: plastic clutch line syndrome?
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Re: Cooling fan malfunction
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: Mismatched VIN/Build months
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com

8. RE: Transmission question
From: madmap70_at_dml_cs.com

9. Re: Mismatched VIN/Build months
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com

10. DeLorean Club of Oregon welcome to participate in 4th of July parade
From: knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com

11. Auto trans lever wont go into 1st
From: "Aaron King" <floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com>

12. Re: Transmission question
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

13. Lighting mod ?
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>

14. Tires
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:07:28 EDT
From: milestwo_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Otterstat question

I thought you were supposed to bleed the air from the system thus all lines
are solid coolant in them, mine is in the up right position and has worked
fine for the past 4 years (as long as we have had the car).
Lloyd

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:15:44 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Transmission question

Has anyone experienced fluids leaks from their automatic or 5 speed?

I have been told that "they all do that a little"

Sincerely,
Michael Pack

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:14:23 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cooling fan malfunction

John, There are two or three modifications that need to be done to update the
cooling fan circuit. If you have original parts, they need to be replaced.
Fan Fail relay replaced, The coolant fans relay replaced, maby a circuit
breaker. You may also have a fan that needs rebuilding. I do all this, and
you can see it on my site under modifications.
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/modifications/

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 21:10:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Aaron Posey <cadysrme_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ETDOC meet- Biltmore Estate July 8

Hey all-

Just a reminder of the July 8 meet of the ETDOC at Biltmore
Estate in Asheville, NC.

If you are anywhere in the vicinity and have the time, I
encourage you to attend.  Myself and several others are
going the night before to meet up and have dinner and talk
DeLoreans.  Then the ones that can get there around 8am or
so will have an opportunity to take pics of the cars in
front of the house before the gates officialy open.

The offical meeting time is around 9-9:30 am at the group
sales office and then we will all proceed into the area and
line up the cars.  After lunch in the estate, Scott Cagle
is taking us for a drive through some curvy scenic areas!

Info is on the www.etdoc.com website. Or, you can email any
of us on the contact page!

See you there!

Aaron Posey
ETDOC
www.etdoc.com
cadysrme'at'yahoo.com

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:15:50 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: plastic clutch line syndrome?

Jeff,

You asked:
"Is there truth to this rumor....?

Absolutely not!  The suggestion may have been to change the two hydraulic components on either end of the clutch line (master and slave cylinder) not the entire clutch system.

DMC Joe

www.dmc.tv

"We're here to help you"

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:34:08 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

John,

Just when I think the infamous blue Fan Fail module has disappeared, one more shows up. The note from the previous owner indicates that he was having trouble with the Fan Fail Module and was planning to purchase another. You will, with out a doubt, need to get rid of the blue Fan Fail module.

You have several options depending on your budget and electrical knowledge. For optimum results you should purchase the Fanzilla. This product has an excellent track record. We have installed hundreds over the last several years and have never had a failure. In addition to its state of the art construction and circuitry it is extremely easy to install.

If your on a tight budget you could either purchase a relay by-pass device for under $15 or build one yourself.

Feel free to contact me at DMC.tv for further details.

DMC Joe

www.dmc.tv

"We're here to help you"

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:10:44 -0000
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com
Subject: Re: Mismatched VIN/Build months

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: According to the production chronology information (downloadable at DMCNews.com), the October VINs span approximately 4214-5997. This puts VIN 4512 in the October builds near the beginning of the month. The August VINs span approximately 2533-3508.]

If VIN 4597 is an August build, would that mean that 4512 (which is
an Oct. build) was pulled off the assembly line and then finished in
October?

Erik
4512 Oct. or Aug?
> possible explanation (partially backed up by a De Lorean Motor
Company

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:00:19 -0400
From: madmap70_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: RE: Transmission question

Mike-

I can't imagine that every Delorean has some sort of transmission leak.  My guess is that those that do probably are a result of age, use (normal wear and tear)or non-use. I have a minor transmission leak coming from my '83 automatic and it only has 3900 miles. Probably the result of very limited use.  I'm told its the transmission pan gasket and the shift cable.  As soon as I determine the specific part number for the shift cable (it apperas to be a hose of some kind that has a kink in it and you can see the tranny fluid seeping out of it), I'm having both parts replaced.

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:10:54 -0000
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com

I don't understand how VIN 4597 has an August build date.  Anybody
have any ideas?  I could see how a car intended to have an August
build date would end up in October, but October to August doesn't
make sense.

Erik

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:01:30 -0000
From: knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com
Subject: DeLorean Club of Oregon welcome to participate in 4th of July parade

The Hillsboro rotary club has invited the Oregon club to participate
in the 4h of July parade in Hillsboro, Oregon. If you're interested
in partcipating in a small-town parade, please drop me a line so I
can coordiante accordingly.

Have a happy and safe 4th.

           Knut

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 19:51:15 -0700
From: "Aaron King" <floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com>
Subject: Auto trans lever wont go into 1st

Yet another problem...my automatic transmission will not go into 1st gear.  And by that, I mean that the gear shift lever will physically not move into the 1st position.  The transmission shifts just fine into and out of all 3 gears, but I can't seem to move the lever back far enough to get it to stay in the 1st position.  Grrr.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Aaron King
Kirkland, WA
vin#1217

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:12:00 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

The shifter cable lets fluid seep out and then it runs down and looks
like it is the pan gasket. The fix involves removing the shifter cable
and covering it's entire length with heat shrink tubing. Rob Grady has
the tubing and when you order it he can give you pointers on how to do
it. The final drive on all Deloreans seeps as the Hylomar that is used
never seems to seal completly. The only fix there is to remove the
trans, split the final drive and reseal with silicone. It isn't really
too important as it doesn't really leak as much as seep so if you can
live with a drop or two I wouldn't bother execpt if you had to do a
trans job anyway.

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:15:17 +0200
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>
Subject: Lighting mod ?

Hi all!
To put a long story short this is what I would like to do:
I want my front orange side markers to function both as running lights and directional indicator lights.

The previous owner did some strange things, however this is what I have:
Two wires going from each side markers under the car and behind the fascia.
These two wires somewhere behind there becomes one.
This one wire (one on left side and one on right side) has been spliced to the orange bumperlights so they function now only as running lights.

What can be done to get the sidemarkers function as both running lights and directional indicator lights i.e. the same setup as the orange bumper lights.

Any suggestions welcome, but remember I really have only one wire to work with, or I will have to remove the whole fascia to get access to the side markers wiring!

Best wishes :)

Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Web: http://home.online.no/~stianfb/

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:33:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Tires

The other night, my right front tire was slashed in a parking lot behind a
bar. The next morning I got the tire replaced with a Phantom
Radial SRX, size: P195/60R-14 85T. The other 3 tires are all BF Goodrich
Radial TAs. The front left Goodrich is a 195/60 14 85S.

I'm noticing that the new phantom tire is riding really really nice.
When hitting uneven pieces of road that I'm used to hitting, I notice that
my right side hits softer, and I seem to glide over on the right side a
little better. I'm thinking about at least replacing the other front tire,
but I may replace all around (basically because I'm obsessive/compulsive
like that). I know that most guys dig on the Yokohamas. I may switch to
those if I can determine that they ride as well as these Phantoms.

But here's the real question. Why does this phantom tire ride better, and
how will I know if a Yokohama ride will be similar? The Goodrich tires are
only 9 months old so I don't think that age is a factor. Could it be the
difference between 85S and 85T? What does that designation represent?

Has anyone had Goodrich Radial TA's on before? How about Phantoms?

[[Update on my how hot is too hot thread: I've been noticing that the fans
kick on most of the time at the right temp. I may wire a switch to force
the fans on. Thanks for all the help!]]

-Christian