From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 613
Date: Sunday, July 01, 2001 4:50 AM

1. Automatic interior light
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

2. Re: are there d's with minimal troubles?
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>

3. Re: Removing Clock, can I leave the "window"?
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: are there d's with minimal troubles?
From: Carl Littlejohns <carlmailuk_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

5. Braided vs rigid
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Car cover
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com

7. Colorcodes wiring (Was: Re: Lighting mod?)
From: Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl

8. Re: are there d's with minimal troubles?
From: n a <dqauto_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Braided vs rigid
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

10. Re: Automatic interior light
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: Automatic interior light
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

12. Re: replacing the plastic line (was "plastic clutchline syndrome?")
From: Meyerleem_at_dml_cs.com

13. AC-dryer/accumulator
From: Michiel Böhmer <michiel.bohmer_at_dml_infram.nl>

14. Re: Cooling Fan Update: It's Fixed!
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

15. Rusted Frame/chassis
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

16. Hall of Fame
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

17. Re: Car cover
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

18. dmcnews.com updated
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:03:46 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Automatic interior light

My interior light does not go on in the car when I open the doors.  Was this
the way the car was designed?  I disconnected my door buzzer, so if this is
what causes this issue, let me know and I will crawl back under a rock.

If not, is there any way to rig the light to work this way?

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:04:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dee Moats <Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com>
Subject: Re: are there d's with minimal troubles?

It's rather funny how the threads go on the DML.  I lost my DeLorean in the
Great Houston flood of 2001 and there were immediately a thread on pricing
of DeLorans based on e-bay sales.  Now I'm thinking and thinking about
whether I want to replace it with another D or buy something newer.  My D -
I knew was reliable because I bought it new in May 1982.  Except for the
large gob of money I put into reconditioning the car over the last few
years, I've never had any major problems with it.  But this thread follows
my thought process of late.  With all the mail coming in on this and that -
should I buy another D to replace the DeLorean as my daily driver or should
I buy a new car to go to work in.  Who can tell what a car purchased from a
private party will be like.  Can I afford to buy a car that will break down
from overheating, not starting when hot, etc. etc. (you only have to look at
the DML to see what the etc could be).  I am not sure what I will do yet.
Lets have some opinions out there.

D Moats Vin #04434 (now belonging to State Farm)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:44:23 -0000, dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com wrote:

  [MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread comes up rather regularly.

Dee-Moats_at_dml_excite.com

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 03:52:27 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Removing Clock, can I leave the "window"?

On my car, the window is part of the clock.  In order to separate the window
I would have to crack some plastic.  I disconnected the electrical to my
clock long ago because it sits at a very poor angle.  In order to read it, I
would have to lean way forward in my seat.

I have considered replacing the clock with a black piece of plastic that
could hold some switches and LEDs.  It would be a nice way to modify the car
without causing irreversible damage.  A flat piece of plastic should work
fine; although, it won't fit flush like the clock face would.  I suggest
that you keep your original clock unmodified unless a warehouse somewhere
has 100's of them.

Does anyone know if this clock was used on other cars?  Surely it was.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:12:47 +0100
From: Carl Littlejohns <carlmailuk_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

On the other hand - (Im not a DL owner, but a rather clumsy, non mechanical
tech-head who can cut himself turning a sheet of paper, and better classified
as a DL-wannabee) - all the 'problems' discussed here are discussed in terms
of the solution(s) that are being tried or have worked.  You just dont get
that with motor cars these days...its dealer only and pull out and replace,
rather than repair or fix.  The car comes across as at least maintenance
friendly as it was so designed...and its also clear why the mainstream car
internationals were so against it at the time....

I think this list puts DMC vehicles much more into 'creative hobby' than 'car
list' category.  Its fascinating...and I can dream...one day...

Dr. Carl Littlejohns
N.Wales

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 00:22:27 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Braided vs rigid

Claude,

The stainless steel braided clutch line sold by us and most of the other DeLorean vendors is "aircraft quality". It is much more resistive to crimping or crushing than a rigid (solid) tube, therefore the braided flexible line is far superior to a rigid line. As a side benefit it is much easier to install than a rigid line.

DMC Joe

www.dmc.tv

"We're here to help you"

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 00:24:16 EDT
From: BondAtomic_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Car cover

I am pretty desperate: does anyone have a cover for sale? The one with the bag that says DeLorean. I am in need for one, and called DMC Houston, and they said they didn't have one. I am going to call once more, but if anyone has a cover for sale, please e-mail me privately.

Thanks a lot,
John Feldman

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 12:28:21 -0000
From: Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl
Subject: Colorcodes wiring (Was: Re: Lighting mod?)

--- In dmcnews, Jan wrote:
> --- In dmcnews "Walter" wrote:
>
> > I experimented with Jan's method
> > of converting the side marker light
[snip]
> > Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do a similar modification
> > to the rear marker lights?  The wiring diagram I have in my
> > service manual is not reproduced very well.
>
> Just the same,
[snip]
> As for colorcodes; there's a good chance they're the same as in
> front; it's essentially the same circuit, so this would be logical,
> especially since the markers/taillights/positionlights are fused
> Left & Right instead of Front & Back...

I just checked (as promised) and my hunch was right, the wiring
colors at the back are the same, so for the markers to double as
blinkers all you have to do is snip the black ground from the
marker and reconnect it to the green wires at the taillight boards.

That's all!
Goodluck on converting,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: n a <dqauto_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dear List,

After reading this, I sent a copy of it to my husband.
 I have always wanted the car and someday I will get
one.  Mr. Moats was concerned about the problems that
the cars are famous for...

Well, I have (3) 1987 Nissan 300zx's...I adore imports
of all kinds and I have owned/still own my dream
imports...

The continuing debate in my home is whether or not the
DMC would be more trouble than it is worth??? "Another
one of Anna's money pits"

Well, each of my 300zx's have NOTORIOUS wiring,
heating, electrical, and leaking problems.

My Starion loves to blow a head gasket every YEAR!

The TR7 was designed and built as an afterthought for
a dying company.

My 260z was just a one year only stepping stone for
the 280z.

The SVX has always had the tranny problems
before/after Subaru 'fixes' it.

My Isuzu loves turbo problems. And can't wait for the
upgrades...

The Lincoln Continental has AIR SUSPENSION leaks!!!

Finally, my beat'em up driver in case the other ones
are broken Tempo...has the loose motormounts, doesn't
know when to start problems...

So...The DeLorean would be a god send :)

I am glad that the list is here to inform everyone on
just what works and how!  I probably wouldn't have had
spent 1/2 the $$$ on playing swap a part if there were
dedicated clubs out there for my other babies!!!

I wouldn't trade them in for a NEON or anything
else!!!

Rebuild, restore, refurbish!!!  Unconditional love for
driving the dream?
dqauto
(thank goodness I work at a car shop :) )

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 20:15:11 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Braided vs rigid

I've seen a couple of the 100% rigid line installations, in addition
to being a pain to do, there IS a slight amount of flex between the
transmission and the body during operation (due to rubber engine
mounts) that would tend to weaken the hard tube over time. In
reality, this is probably a 10-years-of-normal-driving kind of
problem. If you were designing this to last 100 years the best thing
would be a hard line with a flexible piece on the transmission end,
in practicality the overall braided version is fine.

Dave Swingle

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 14:36:49 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Automatic interior light

You said:

"My interior light does not go on in the car when I open the doors.  Was this
the way the car was designed?  "

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement but the operation of the interior lights can be found in the following DeLorean publications.

Owners Handbook (early cars) page 26
Owners Handbook (late cars) page 12

A more detailed explanation can be found in the DeLorean Technical Information Manual Page 225.

If you don't have access to any of these publications contact us directly for more information.

DMC Joe

www.dmc.tv

"We're here to help you"

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 12:58:32 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_sybercom.net>

Kevin,
There are two door push button switches on the drivers side of the car. One
controls the door light and the second controls the annoying door buzzer.
Under the dash each switch has a pair of wires going to it. They should be
in taped bundles. Take a paper clip or short piece of wire and short the two
wires of each bundle, either the buzzer will buzz or the light will come on
depending which pair you are working with. If the lights still don't work
check the number 12 fuse and also the bulbs in the lamps and also make sure
the lamp is in the automatic position

Dave Sontos

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 14:54:59 EDT
From: Meyerleem_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: replacing the plastic line (was "plastic clutchline syndrome?")

You can unhook the lines at the master and at the slave cylinder. If you pull
the old line out as you put the new one in it is very easy to follow the same
path. The space you're putting the braided line in is quite a tight fit but
there is no way you need to pull the body off. Once you have everything
connected you can bleed the system as described in the manual. I replaced
mine and haven't had any shifting problems since.

                                                        Lee VIn #1699

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 17:49:15 +0200
From: Michiel Böhmer <michiel.bohmer_at_dml_infram.nl>
Subject: AC-dryer/accumulator

Hi,

My AC-system is being converted to this new gas. Therefore the
dryer/accumulator has to be changed. The way it looks wright now; it is not
possible to get a similar dryer!. Up to Vin #3400, or so,  the Deloreans had
a dryer with a connection at the down side (a tube that was under an angle
of 45 degrees). After this Vin# they would use a dryer with both connections
at the top side. The thing is, it is not possible to simply use the newly
type dryer because the hose that is fitted wouldn't be long enough! So, to
change the dryer, you have to change the hose aswell. And use some sort of
90 degree fitting.

Is there somebody out there that is familiar to this problem and has a
solution that is easier than changing the hose?

Thanks

Michiel

<snip -- excessive irrelevant quoted materials removed>

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 16:51:09 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Cooling Fan Update: It's Fixed!

That black gunk you washed out is mostly dust that is what is left of
the brushes in the motor when they wear. I am guessing that your
brushes are just about worn out and are not making good contact
anymore. By cleaning and disturbing the dirt you managed to get them
running again although I think not for long. The long term solution is
to either replace the motors or dissasemble them, cut the armatures,
and replace the brushes and bearings. The cleaner you used probably
washed out whatever lubrication was left in the bearings so expect
them to wear out even faster now. This kind of "repair in a bottle" is
best left to unscrupulous mechanics who do this kind of thing,
overcharge the customer, and know that they will be back for more! It
makes much more sense especially if it is your car to just do it right
the first time. Now that you have done it at least it confirms that
you need to replace or repair the cooling fan motors. Don't wait to
long to do it as they will inevetiably let you down at the worst
possible time (This is just Murphy's Law).

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 17:59:40 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Rusted Frame/chassis

Hi all

How big a job is replacing an entire frame/chassis on a Delorean, (I have a very good mechanical background) and does anyone have any hints, tips or pointers.
To save a possible repeat of a thread you can contact me dirrectly.

paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com

 Vin....nearly

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:26:21 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: Hall of Fame

I received the nomination forms from the Automotive Hall of Fame and I have
been putting together everything needed with the exception of John DeLoreans
official resume.  Does anyone have such a document or could someone email me
his current address to complete these forms.

Regards,

Jack Singer
5823

jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 22:17:15 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Re: Car cover

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., BondAtomic_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I am pretty desperate: does anyone have a cover for sale? The one
with the bag that says DeLorean. I am in need for one, and called DMC
Houston, and they said they didn't have one. I am going to call once
more, but if anyone has a cover for sale, please e-mail me privately.

> Thanks a lot,
> John Feldman
> VIN 4275

John,

If you are in need of a cover to protect your Delorean,from the
elements,Wal-mart has some pretty Decent covers,that will fit a
Delorean,in Fact I even think,it says it fits a Delorean on the Box(I
know it says Bricklin,Because that is why I bought one,and they fit
pretty Snug I might say (at least on a Brick)They are VERY reasonably
priced,AND you don't have to wait to get it.(Or at the least,use it
till you get the one you want,then return it)

Claude

Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 00:02:28 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: dmcnews.com updated

It's been a hot day here in the midwest, so I decided to catch up on
some old stuff. New at www.dmcnews.com:
---Les Huckins Radio Display fix (Tech Library)
---New Pic - O - the-Months
---New My DMC photos
---Scans of some documents I picked up in Belfast (Resources)
---More vanity plates
---Car for Sale ads. I'm starting to get quite a few "take down the
ad" notes, so it must be working. According to the web server, this
is the most-hit page on the site. The new ones keep coming in!

Someday I'll finish updating the archive (I really hate doing this)
in the mean time stick with the Yahoo Groups archive for anything
this year. Sorry.