From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 629
Date: Sunday, July 15, 2001 4:45 AM

From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_pclink.com>

From: jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net

From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

From: jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net

From: Henry Breer <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

From: Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>

From: Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 21:08:17 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Spares

Steve said,

>....you
>don't need to carry spare belts,

I disagree about the belts.  I have a friend who's D lost a belt on the way
to work.  It immediately overheated.  Since he knew I had belts on hand, he
called me from his cell phone and we did a road side repair.  I even showed
up in my DeLorean.  I thought it was cute -- one DeLorean coming to help
another.  I suggest carrying a multi-size temporary belt.  Grainger sells an
excellent one.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:04:55 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_pclink.com>
Subject: Car will not start ... why ...

I just replaced the RPM relay thinking the old one went bad and the car
still wont start.  The fuel pump does not rev up as per normal when the key
is turned.  I tried the RPM relay bypass and it causes the pump to rum.  I
even forced the old RPM relay contact closed and the pump runs.

What are the next things to check for that are keeping the RPM relay from
activating?

Nick Kemp

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:17:47 -0000
From: jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net
Subject: Re: Radio recommendations?

The Pioneer DEX-P9 would be an excellent addition for the Delorean as
it has a brushed aluminum style finish that would be a nice
complement to the DMC stainless steel. An organic EL display is
standard. Price is quite expensive though.

Link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Files/CarProduct/dex-
p9_big.jpg

They also offer the DEX-PR1 as last years model that may be found at
a much lower price. B-Stock also exists on this model for even less.
This model also offers a similar aluminum style but with a smaller
area due to the larger dot matrix display.

Link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDe
tails/0,1429,732,00.html

Jeremy

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:19:32 -0700
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Spares II

Thanks to all, on and off the list.  Some very good tips, some just
having fun.  I like the fun tips just as well as the serious (sometimes
more).

Here's my rationale:  I always carry a spare tire (I check it for
pressure), and tools to change it, I've also checked the lug nuts in
advance and hand torqued so that I'm sure I can get the wheel off should
that need arise.   Fire extinguisher (used one once on my own car and
twice on others who didn't carry), jumper cables have come in handy many
times (for me and for helping others), two flashlights because I hate to
have one that doesn't work or I have to bang on it to have it come on.
WD-40, duct tape, electrical tape, a couple of small jumper wires, plus
some spare screws and of course, tools.  The D fuel pump is easy to
change and does go out.  I've had more than one fuel pump go out (not on
the D, it went out before I got it), I can change it if I have it so I
always carry.  Likewise the alternator, they do go out, I can change it
if I have it.  When the alternator or alternator belt quits you have a
major problem.   I don't carry AAA card and when I go out I expect to
make it back, but I'm on my own.  I try to prepare for the
eventualities.  I'm out in the boonies and usually between towns when
something goes out.  I feel the two D belts should be a must, for the
small amount involved, then wherever you are, you can get the nearest
mechanic to get you back on the road if you can't do it yourself.  The
idea of waiting someplace for what should be a common part, does not
appeal to me.

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:31:55 -0000
From: jeremysmail_at_dml_softhome.net
Subject: Gullwing Doors

Any vendors / owners have any experience / knowledge with a "Gullwing
Style" conversion of convention car doors.

Since DMC's have the best gullwing implementation and the vendors /
owners dealer with them on a daily basis it would be logical to think
they would be the best place to start such a project.

Reply privately. Please don't fill the list with responses here.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:40:11 -0700
From: Henry Breer <hbreer_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Spares

Les,

"Chat" is an option available to any egroups site.  It is currently disabled on
the DMCNews site. Possibly if there is enough group interest, the moderators
would turn on that feature.

The chat option is already turned on on DMC Houston's site
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usadmc

Hank Breer

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 02:02:58 -0000
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

I replaced my whole system with Pioneer components for about $375.
Looks & Sounds great, the latter being much more important.
I used a DEH-P330, TS-A4103's for the rears & TS-A878's for the
fronts.

John Yeoman

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 02:08:39 -0000
From: theshovel1224_at_dml_yahoo.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_c...> wrote:
> Good idea!  Possibly 3 versions, basic, intermediate, and advanced.
 (Paper
> clips in each one, I'd forgotten about those, even though Bob Zilla
mentioned
> them in a previous  (Zillaclips)).

Besides jumping the otterstat, another less important use for
paperclips is to set the clock on your Craig radio.

John Yeoman

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 02:54:01 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Re: front brake calipers

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., orentha_at_dml_h... wrote:
> I had my front brake calipers and master cylinder replaced last
> summer.
> So I took it in and had the brakes tested.  And the bleeder screws
in the front calipers are completely stripped out.

Just a little helpful Tip.....

If you do your own front end Lube,take a couple of seconds,and DAB a
little of that front end grease around the Bleeder screws,for the
disk brakes,it keeps them from seizing up,  and avoids having the
above problem,a little grease goes a long way.

Claude

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:05:37 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel guage

Ryan, The design of the fuel send unit does take a little while to reach the
top. You could also have some blockage. I rebuild the original fuel sending
unit and guarrantee it for 5years. I will post it on my web site or you can
also email me.
John hervey
  http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:40:31 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: Spares (Chat)

As for the chat room....everyone is welcome to use the one on my
site. http://www.dmcman.homestead.com/Chat.html It's up 24/7 and
requires no programs to run. You just need Java enabled on your
webbrowser.

Steve

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:57:30 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: coolant question

Hello, Can someone please clarify this for me?

    Will running straight antifreeze through your car cause it to get hotter?
 Last week I had a coolant leak and lost nearly all of it.  I didn't have any
water so I fixed the leak and put in straight antifreeze.(almost 2 gallons if
I remember correctly)  I have left it this way because a friend said it
doesn't matter at all, mixing it just saves money.  Is this right?
    I cannot figure out why my fans are still on at 60 MPH.  The needles
stays just a hair above the 2nd white line and the car is not overheating but
it seems to be just abit hot enough to start the fans.  I have a new
otterstat which turns the fans on at a lower temp(specialtauto.com) but I
know they shouldn't be on at 60MPH when its only 65.  I have the overheat
protector installed.  The water pump is fine, I checked it out when I
replaced the hoses with silicone ones.

Thanks list
David

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:59:56 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Interesting mention ('79)

I saw this on eBay:
Item # 1444435960
John De Lorean and his Delorean automobile on the cover of this great Oct 1979 issue of Success Unlimited magazine.

I don't think I've seen that mentioned on any of the websites tracking JZD/car mentions.
Of course, it's a small thing.

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 04:44:22 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Hot Start Relay Fix

Group, At the request of one of the DML people, I have added a SPST
MOMentary switch to the Hot Start Relay Fix. Now you can leave it
plugged in all the time and when you need it, just reach back and
push down on a switch which I have attached to the side of it to
activate. Plug and play. I will post it on the web site in a day or
two. But, It's the same relay now with a momemtary switch for safety.
All in on neat little package. Look under modifications.
John hervey
     http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:02:06 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>
Subject: Re: weird sound when taking corners

> > i've noticed on my DeLorean that when i take either a left
> > or right corner that i hear kind of a 'chunk' sound coming
> > from what i think to be the rear of the car.
>
> I have this exact same problem with mine.
[snip]
> It's most noticeable when pulling out of driveways where
> the weight shifts to one side.  But if I make two right
> hand turns for example it will only clunk on the first turn.

I have no first hand experience, but I remember reading a post a while ago about
the body shifting on the frame, making a clunking sound. This would explain why
you don't hear the sound the second turn: the body has allready shifted as far
as possible...
Check the bolts connecting the body to the frame and tighten if neccesary.
As I said, I'm not sur, but checking this can't hurt anything.

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:20:20 +0200
From: Jan van de Wouw <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>
Subject: MP3 player

Hello all,

I've read of people wanting to install an MP3-player in their car many times and
of several sets to do so. While surfing the net for something else I stumbled
upon this:
<http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/mp3_player.htm>
An MP3-player disguised as a standard audio cassette!

I'm not 100% sure if it will work in our DeLoreans' standard radio (Craig or
ASI), but maybe someone wants to give this a try? I'm impressed by what they've
managed to do, but I have a CD-changer and tapedeck in my D, plus a Mac with
CD-burner, so I burn my own CD's and don't need an MP3-player.

Just thought I'd pass this along, if anyone here actually has one of those,
please mail me with your experiences; I AM kind of curoious to the sound quality...