From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 637
Date: Friday, July 20, 2001 10:25 PM

1. brake lights not coming on
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

2. 2 headliner cores wanted
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

3. OIL!
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. low gas light
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. brake lights not coming on - continued
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

6. Re: Keys
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

7. Re: Fresh air at feet...
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

8. Re: Web site question
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: Fuel guage
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. short in fuse #17 circuit
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

11. project vixen
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. tool kit
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. British Car Day Show in NJ
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com

14. Torsion bar adjustments
From: johndmc57_at_dml_yahoo.com

15. Torsion bar adjustment
From: johndmc57_at_dml_yahoo.com

16. Re: 2 headliner cores wanted
From: johndmc57_at_dml_yahoo.com

17. Re: brake lights not coming on - continued
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

18. Intercoolers on Island Twin Turbo.
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

19. Re: short in fuse #17 circuit
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: OIL!
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

21. James Espey has sent this to you!
From: james_at_dml_usadmc.com

22. Re: Finding Light Bulbs
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

23. Re: Re: 2 headliner cores wanted
From: "Andrei Cular" <acular1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

24. Re: Finding Light Bulbs
From: "Jan van de Wouw" <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>

25. Re: Finding Light Bulbs
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 14:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: brake lights not coming on

Hi guys,

Just when I thought everything was going great, a guy flagged me down and
told me that my brake lights were out. I've got new zilla boards, new
bulbs, and I've just checked the #12 and #4 fuses. Everything seems to be
in order.

How are the brake lights triggered? I've got other issues with my brakes
right now that may or may not contribute. My brakes feel soft and squeal
quite loudly. I was planning on getting the rotors turned this weekend, as
the new pads and shims didn't seem to fix the problem (did that work a
month or two ago). I know that the brake lights have been working as
recently as a couple days ago (backing out of the garage at night, I can
see the brake lights on the neighbour's house). I haven't done any work on
the car since then.

Any ideas?

-Christian

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:22:50 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: 2 headliner cores wanted

Hello,
    My next project is to have my headliners recovered.  Two of the headliner
cores are damaged and cannot be recovered.  I need the rear "T" shaped
headliner and the passenger side door headliner.  I am looking for cores in
good shape that have no signs of warping, etc.  I am going to have a local
shop recover them.  Please e-mail me privately if you can help me out.  I
will pay cash or I have parts for trade.

Thanks
David

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:06:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: OIL!

I went to get my digital camera out of the D today,
and what was a one spot dribble of oil, has change to
many spots, and looks like it may be a problem.

Is this a known issue?  Where should I look?

The engine itself is very clean, its just leaking out
of the bottom somewhere... any ideas what might have
came loose on it?

Oil is not a good thing to be leaking especially with
less than 5000 miles on the engine.

Runs great and everything, oil pressure is fine, but
its coming from somewhere.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:32:09
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: low gas light

Hey list,
I have found a distrubitor for the A/C lights. if any one wants their number
to order them I have it. they cost $1.94 each.
I also got info from Philips themselves here it is:

The product code for the #12829 is 357939.  Please
try Kmart or provide us with your city/state/ & zipcode for automotive
distributors in your area.  Our toll free number is 1800 555 0050.

Also I was wondering; Is the "low gas" light suppose to come on when you
start up the car like the other lights?
or does it only come on when there is little or no gas?
Thanks!

                         Ryan- vin.#16301

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: brake lights not coming on - continued

My apologies for not composing this and my prior email as one. I'm just
trying to figure this out so that I can drive home tonight. :)

I checked out the brake pedal area on the car. I've found the stoplamp
switch. There is a solid green wire and a green/purple wire running to it.
They come back to the front of the center console where the wires are
bunched up and taped with a wide piece of green tape (probably just
shortened so the wires don't hang). The wires then continue up to
somewhere toward the front of the car (out of sight). But also coming out
of the green tape bundle is another lead on a solid green wire. This lead
looks just like the connectors attached to the stoplamp switch.

What is this supposed to connect to? I'm certain that the wiring has not
been switched around in that area in the last couple of days (brake lights
worked a couple of days ago).

-Christian

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1980 21:04:27 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Keys

DeLorean keys can be made from Taylor blanks (same as Volvo) with no insertion problems.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1980 21:23:33 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Fresh air at feet...

You asked:

"During the summer, hot air rushes in by my feet. In the winter, it is
cold air. What is not functioning properly?"

The problem is due to a detached seal at the front of the AC/Heater air plenum box. Refer to 7-1-1 Parts Manual fig. # 19

You also asked:

"when I turn on the AC, I hear a fan squealing for about the first 15 seconds it is on..."

The squealing sound is due to a corroded bearing in the AC/Heater blower motor.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1980 22:00:03 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Web site question

Here is the solution to your question. If you are on the DMC.TV page simply right click on the link you want to save and select "Add to favorites". If you have already entered the linked web site from DMC.TV right click on a blank part of the page and select "Add to favorites".

PS: This message was passed on to me by DMC Joe, in the future you are welcome to contact me directly at delorean_at_dml_att.net . I will be more than happy to assist you with any questions concerning the DMC.tv web site.

Bob B
Webmaster
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1980 23:06:10 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel guage

The factory installed unit has several design flaws, one of them being inaccurate readings especially when the tank is near full. The Tankzilla overcomes this problem in two ways. First, the tank sender is not plastic and has precision internal components.

Secondly the signal leading from the sender to the dash gauge goes through a microprocessor which calibrates the gauge every time the engine is started. These two features make the Tankzilla far superior to the factory original.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:56:24 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: short in fuse #17 circuit

Hey List,

      I finally found where the inline fuses are for the radio (they were
both blown), and I used a test light and I was getting power to the light
green wire (gets power when ignition is on), but I still didn't get power to
the purple wire (constant power for memory) so then I checked out the wiring
diagram, and saw that the purple wire gets its power from fuse #17.  The fuse
was blown, so I changed it, and then I tried to get the cigarette lighter to
work and the fuse kept blowing.  I know what everyone must be
thinking.."jeez...he can put a car together but he can't figure out why a
simple fuse is always blowing?"  I'm not really the best at electronics and I
just need some opinions on where to start looking.  Thanks in advance for any
help anyone can give me.  Thanks!

Later,
Nick
1852
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 04:55:54
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: project vixen

Hey list,
I assume that The gentleman that is working on project vixen is on this
list. Second How can I get a hold of him? I couldn't find an email address
on his site.

                         Ryan- vin.#16301

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 05:12:29
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: tool kit

Does any one know what all the sizes are for the tool kit in a delorean? and
Does any one know what tools were in the kit?
Does any one have a kit for sale?
Thanks so much!

                         Ryan- vin.#16301

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:39:25 EDT
From: Dmc3360_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: British Car Day Show in NJ

Hello,
  Just thought I would let everyone know in addition to our club memebrs
about a show next weekend July 29th here in Lavalette, NJ.  They usually have
a class for DeLoreans and we should have a good turnout at the show.
Information is below

July 29th 2001 (Sunday)
Positive Earth Drvers Club
4th Annual British Car Day
Lavalette, New Jersey
Contact: Paul Johnson (732)681-1686
Email: j5pmkaa_at_dml_aol.com

Hope to see some you there!  For more info on this and other events check the
web site below

DeLorean Mid Atlantic Events
http://hometown.aol.com/dmc3360/dma.html

Gary Gore
Acticvities Director
DeLorean Mid Atlantic

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:02:23 -0000
From: johndmc57_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Torsion bar adjustments

I have read how involved this prcedure is but I do it buy myself with
a broom handle holding the door open and an alan wrench bit on my
extended breaker bar. Seems like the "proper instructions are a bit
of overkill" Am I alone on this or am I playing with fire.

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:05:04 -0000
From: johndmc57_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Torsion bar adjustment

Sorry I forgot to ask, is there a limit on how much you can adjust
the torsion bar or is the adjustment indicated buy the proper opening
of the door?

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:10:42 -0000
From: johndmc57_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: 2 headliner cores wanted

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Delorean17_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Hello,
>     My next project is to have my headliners recovered.  Two of the
headliner
> cores are damaged and cannot be recovered.  I need the rear "T"
shaped
> headliner and the passenger side door headliner.  I am looking for
cores in
> good shape that have no signs of warping, etc.  I am going to have
a local
> shop recover them.  Please e-mail me privately if you can help me
out.  I
> will pay cash or I have parts for trade.
>
> Thanks
> David
> 6286
I need to work on my T headliner also, I plan to take it out and make
a fiberglass mold from it so I can have more than one and see what
works best.

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:35:56 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: brake lights not coming on - continued

On my car the switch was loose. All I did was twist the switch around
to tighten it up. No problems since.

<SNIP>

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:21:06 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: Intercoolers on Island Twin Turbo.

Has anyone been successful adding intercoolers to the Island Twin Turbo
kit?

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:29:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: short in fuse #17 circuit

--- njp548_at_dml_aol.com wrote:
.  The fuse
> was blown, so I changed it, and then I tried to get
> the cigarette lighter to
> work and the fuse kept blowing.
 - - - - - - - - - - -

Nick - I think it was engineered that way to
discourage smoking in a DeLorean!!!

My 2

Dick Ryan

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:24:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: OIL!

Mike,

If this is coming from the driver's side, then it's most likely your oil
pressure sensor. Stick your head under the car and look for a large nut
with some wires running to it. It should be clean, but my guess is that it
will be covered with oil.

If this is comimg from the passenger's side, it's most likely oil pressure
switch (i may have reversed the names of these). Anyway, it's right where
the oil filter screws in.

Both are inexpensive parts (somewhere around 20 bucks), and both are
pretty easy to fix.

-Christian

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:17:53 -0500
From: james_at_dml_usadmc.com
Subject: James Espey has sent this to you!

DML,
James Espey thought this article would interest you.
Botetourt driver's future includes back-in-time car
http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story115155.html

Interesting article!

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:10:53 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Finding Light Bulbs

John,

If you want the end-all light bulb replacement, use white LEDs.  Start with
an old light bulb base, break the glass stuff off, solder the white LED in
place and use some epoxy to make it solid.  Then there won't be any more
heat related dash light problems.  I would like to work on this project, but
have way too much else to do.  I figure that it is just a matter of time
before the auto shops have solid state bulbs on the shelf next to all the
old fashioned incandescent ones.

Walt

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:08:51 -0400
From: "Andrei Cular" <acular1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: 2 headliner cores wanted

I have a fiberglass mold for both sections.

 If anyone is intrested in some parts email me off the list.

Andrei Cular

> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Delorean17_at_dml_a... wrote:
> > Hello,
> >     My next project is to have my headliners recovered.  Two of the
> headliner
> > cores are damaged and cannot be recovered.

[moderator snip]

> I need to work on my T headliner also, I plan to take it out and make
> a fiberglass mold from it so I can have more than one and see what
> works best.

[moderator snip]

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:18:33 -0000
From: "Jan van de Wouw" <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>

--- In dmcnews, Walter wrote:
> If you want the end-all light bulb replacement, use white LEDs.
> Start with an old light bulb base, break the glass stuff off,
> solder the white LED in place and use some epoxy to make it solid.

You are forgetting two things here:
1. jou need a shunting resistor to keep the LEDs from blowing
2. LEDs have a directional beam of light.

The second is of importance because of the array of clear plexiglass
behind the AC panel that depends on the surround illumination of the
bulbs... I've thought of installing miniature Neon tubes in there or
lighting sheet, but I haven't found a local source yet...

> I figure that it is just a matter of time before the auto shops
> have solid state bulbs on the shelf next to all the
> old fashioned incandescent ones.

They allready exist, only not such small ones...
I found them in a mailorder catalog from a German company...
Take a look at
<http://www.conrad.nl/cgi-bin/conshop/ConShop.pl?TK_PAR[USER_ID]=020603
6790995667250&TK_EV[SHOWPAGE]=&TK_PAR[PAGEID]=149487&TK_PAR[MEDIUM]=>
These are 24V 15mA, but you'll get the idea...

Greetings from the Netherlands,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 00:50:04 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

Admitedly, I am not an electronics expert. But I have been
researching a possible LED conversion for the interior, and exterior
lights on the DeLorean. Even on a couple of hobby sites that carry
instructions on how to convert regular flashlights over to LEDs, they
seem to state that you have to also solder an in-line resistor into
place. Even the "D" sized batteries in a flashlight are only 1.5V,
and the DeLorean is running a 12V system. I'm not shooting the idea
down, I think it's a great one. LEDs lighting up both the center
console panel, and the 3 warning lights below would be a VERY welcome
addition since they "burn" much cooler. I'm just saying that this
isn't going to be a plug and play conversion. And given the size of
the light blub sockets, you aren't going to get a resistor to easily
fit in with the bulb at the same time. It's like taking a regular
LED, and connecting it up to a 9V battery. It gets prety hot quickly.

Just a thought...