From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 640
Date: Monday, July 23, 2001 4:27 AM

1. Re: Grinding
From: johndmc57_at_dml_yahoo.com

2. Deloreans at Auction-Where is the V-8 Delorean
From: bobb635_at_dml_yahoo.com

3. DeLorean in Carbondale, Colorado
From: Joshieloo_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Fender repair
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

5. Re: The Otterstat
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

6. RE: DeLorean TV Appearance
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_home.com>

7. Rim replacement anyone?
From: Sacha Prins <sacha_at_dml_prins.net>

8. Re: Injector Line Seals
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

9. Re: Torsion bar adjustments
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: short in fuse #17 circuit
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

11. Re: Otterstat retaining clip
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

12. Door Lock Cover
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>

13. Camshaftbelt / drivechains / PRV Engine
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>

14. Re: Camshaftbelt / drivechains / PRV Engine
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:37:20 -0000
From: johndmc57_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Grinding

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> I'm puzzled by a grinding my transmission is making.  It's suffering
> symptoms of plastic clutch line syndrome, even though I replaced it
with the
> stainless braided one.  The transmission performs flawlessly when
it's cold,
> but when it get's hot it will grind downshifting to fourth.  ==

Are you sure you got all the air out of the new line, how did you
bleed the system, the only way I could do mine was with a vacum pump.

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:17:29 -0000
From: bobb635_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Deloreans at Auction-Where is the V-8 Delorean

A friend called my last night about a D for sale in springfield
illinois.  The car has been in storage for year and is dirty inside and
out. It does not run.

In trying to estimate its value he had a copy of Krus (Sp) auction
results from 1999 or 2000. A summary of the auctions showed the
following

Las Vegas  $1,500
Atlantic city  V-8  $2,800
Other cities  $9,500 to $18,000

Does anyone on the list have this info?  Does anyone know the owner of
the V-8 Delorean?  Can we contact the auction winners?

Bob Brandys

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:50:02 EDT
From: Joshieloo_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean in Carbondale, Colorado

Dear List,
I was in Colorado last week on vacation. I never expected to see a DeLorean,
but believe it or not, I did! What was more interesting was the fact that
Carbondale (which is between Glenwood Springs and Aspen, off of Route 82) is
such a tiny town and the place that I spotted it was in the parking lot of my
brother-in-law's restaurant! I left a card on the windshield, with a note
that I also owned a D, my email address and mention of the DML.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard from the owner.
So, I'm reaching out on a limb here... If you are the owner of this DeLorean,
VIN 006180 (I think) and was parked at The Village Smithy in Carbondale,
Colorado on Tuesday, July 17th at around 10:45AM, with the license plate
"FLIING"...I am the one that left you the card!
Regardless, it was great seeing another DeLorean, but even better knowing
that he/she, if in fact ate at The Village Smithy, surely had a great
breakfast! Thanks for listening...

Joshua Schwartz
001292
Trumbull, CT

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:46:00 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Fender repair

We ship all of our stainless panels to DMC Houston for repair, give them a call, they will be happy to give you an estimate and shipping instructions.

BTW: It would be helpful if you send them a photo of the requested repair.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:14:23 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: The Otterstat

Had the exact same thing happen to me, and in the worst part of town
too! A better idea than the nylon wrap is a stainless steel hose
clamp. Just pick up the thinnest, longest one you can find. Grind
just a little off the edges in the center to fit between the
connectors on the otterstat, and never worry again. I've had the
alternator belt go out on me many times before, and can safely say
that at failed water pump doesn't heat up the engine as fast as lost
coolant does. By the time I pulled over when my otterstat blew, the
temp needle hit 260. Luckily, my engine survived.

But I must agree, the clip for the otterstat was not a properly
thought out idea.

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:40:17 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_home.com>
Subject: RE: DeLorean TV Appearance

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:27:12 +0200
From: Sacha Prins <sacha_at_dml_prins.net>
Subject: Rim replacement anyone?

Hi,

I'm considering putting new rims on my DeLorean. For that the rim-shop
needs some offset values for the new rims to fit that I and they
probably don't know. I believe they call it a "t value" but I can be
mistaken. I had the plan to put 16" front and 17" rear rims on the car
(instead of the standard 15" and 16") to make it look purdy, but before
I do that I was wondering if anyone on the list had experience replacing
the standard rims with new ones, and if that so called "t value"
(offset) is known so that I can tell the rim-shop people.

I will ofcourse keep the old standard rims in storage for originality.

If anyone can tell me more about this I will be much obliged. The Yahoo
Groups search facility is not very helpful when searching for "rim" or
"rims".

Thanks,

Sacha

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:03:07 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Injector Line Seals

The copper fuel line seals are standard fuel fitting items and should be available at most outlets that sell fuel line parts and accessories.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:33:33 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Torsion bar adjustments

The door torsion bar adjustment is strictly a two person operation. Extreme care must be taken to prevent damage to the torsion bar anchor bolts and threads, T roof damage, rear window breakage and personal injury. We recommend that this procedure not be attempted by anyone not experienced or properly equipped in this procedure.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:51:32 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: short in fuse #17 circuit

The #17 fuse circuit is one of the simplest circuits in the electrical system.

This circuit consists of a solid purple wire running from the fuse block to the cigarette lighter than to the digital clock connector and finally to the radio fuse. The short circuit should be easy to locate.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:52:24 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Otterstat retaining clip

Lee,

Be aware that there are two different retaining clips used to secure the coolant temperature switch. See Service Bulletin ST-27-11/81

The original clip part # 108633 was replaced with #110177 as of Vin # 3850.

PS: Your tie wrap suggestion is good and will work in place of the factory issued clip.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"We're here to help you"

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:59:08 +0200
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>
Subject: Door Lock Cover

Hello,
On my DeLorean, on the driver's door, the metal cover for the door lock is damaged.
I will try to describe it: When you look at the door and door lock you will see a black ring around the door lock together with the metal cover for the lock itself. This cover is moveable, i.e. you insert the key and the door lock cover slides back. On the passenger door this is in perfect condition and working as it should.

Now, on the driver's door this metal cover has been bent back so that there is an ugly hole (at least in my eyes).
I guess this is due to many key insertions over the past  21 years... ;-)

I would like to fix it without having to change the door lock itself. Is this metal cover for the door lock available?

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 01:38:35 +0200
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>
Subject: Camshaftbelt / drivechains / PRV Engine

Hmm...on thin ice here but...

I always hear stories of old cars breaking down/engine failure due to old camshaftbelts which haven't been replaced in time. Very expen$ive...

But what about the DeLorean?
As far as I can tell, the PRV uses chains...am I right? Or does it use camshaftbelt?
When should these be replaced?

Or can DeLorean owners just keep on driving without having to worry about the drive chains in the engine?

DMC Joe? Any comments?

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 01:53:55 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Camshaftbelt / drivechains / PRV Engine

PRV uses a chain. From what I've heard it will outlast other parts of
the engine and no special attention to it is required until you get
to a "normal" engine overhaul somewhere well past 100K miles.

Dave Swingle