From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 641
Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 7:09 AM

1. Re: Grinding
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

2. Engine bogging out
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: A/C belt tensioner
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

4. Warning: Paradise Motorsport!
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: Engine bogging out
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

6. Re: Re: Camshaftbelt / drivechains / PRV Engine
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

7. Re: Rim replacement anyone?
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>

8. New Owner
From: "Mike Allred" <mallred_at_dml_roava.net>

9. Bolts on hinges/gullwing door
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>

10. relay
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Otterstat-Finis
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

12. DeLorean check blanks?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Grinding
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com

14. D sighting: Roanoke TImes Article
From: Doug Hornsby <govenorofvirginia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: James Espey has sent this to you!
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

16. ADMIN NOTE: MAIL Delivery Problem
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:11:18 -0700
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: Grinding

> Are you sure you got all the air out of the new line, how did you
> bleed the system, the only way I could do mine was with a vacum pump.

I'm almost 100% posotive we got all the air out.  I had a trained technician
use a vacuum bleeder.  Plus it had the same symptom even before I took the
old line off.  I'm still puzzled why it would only happen when hot.  And why
it doesn't matter if I try to match revs or double clutch.  I guess I'll
have to find a shop to diagnose it, but so far nobody around here wants to
touch it!

Thanks!

payne

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:31:49 EDT
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Engine bogging out

Hello,

Since I purchased my D three years ago I have had a problem with the engine
bogging out when the accelerator pedal is at more then half throttle. I've
tried timing, and adjusting the valve in the throttle body, but this has no
effect.  Any help that anyone could give would be great.

Thanks
Andrew

Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:46:21 EDT
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: A/C belt tensioner

I notice that the hole is threaded a lot deeper than the factory bolt, so I
replaced mine with one that is half a centimeter longer.  It's been a couple
of months and it seems to hold.  Try that and let me know how it works out
for you.  It is much easier than removing the cover and retap or replace with
insert.
Everyone that I checked with told me that I will have to drill it out and
install an insert.  One dealer even tried to sell me a repair kit for $80.00.
Good luck.
Bill VIN# 2157

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:15:47 EDT
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Warning: Paradise Motorsport!

This message is for any Delorean owner in the chicagoland area,

After two months I just got my Delorean back from a repair facility in
Lombard IL named Paradise Motorsport.  The only request that I had was to
make the A/C work, and get 5th gear working again.
    It was quickly apperant that they had no clue how to get 5th gear back,
right now 3rd is where 5th should be.  In any case I had them fix a trans
mount that was bad.
    The transmission problem is minor compared to the damage that they did to
the A/C system. I knew that one hose needed to be replaced so I gave them the
go ahead to replace the hose.  Two weeks later I called them to get a status
update, at this point I was told that the condenser was bad, I gave the go
ahead to replace it.
    Two weeks later I called again, the hose from the accumulator to the
compressor was bad, I also had them replace that.
    Another week went by before they got the hose. and it took another few
days to realize that the threads on the accumulator was "bad"  At this point
they decided to try to remove the accumulator, without my authorazation.  In
the process of removing the accumulator their hacks broke the fitting on my
evaporator, which was a perfectally good part, untill they trashed it.  Then
they decided to pull the entire dash and remove the evaporator, again without
my authorazition.
    On july 11th called the owner (Lance) for another status update, it was
at this point I was told that there was a bill in the mail for just over
$2000, and that it would be another $2000 at least to get the AC working.  I
was shocked to say the least.  In any case I wanted to get my car out of
their as quickly as possable, AC working or not.  I told him that I wanted my
car back, and I asked if it was drivable. I was shocked to hear that it was
not close to drivable, and that it would take a week to put it back together.
 I had to see what in the world they did to my Delorean, which was drivable
when I took it there.
    I took one look at her and I hit my knees, the entire dash was a pile of
parts, just thrown in the car, which was parked in the back of their storeage
lot.  I told the slug that runs the place that I wanted my car driveable
asap, and questioned if his techs were even qualafied to sweep up the floors.
 Lance informed me that my car would be ready the next week. Two weeks later
I finally got my car back but not without problems,  hardly anything worked.
The high beams, turn signals, dash lights, clock, horn, lighter, radio, and
fan, all of which worked on May 7th when I took the car there, were not
working now,  I spent the next day fixing all the stuff that these hacks
broke.
    And to top it all off, I had requested my old parts back, espically the
evaporator. Lance informed me that they reinstalled the broken evaporator in
the dash.  So this morning I decided to see if I could get the fitting that
his people broke fixed at the local metals shop.  Supprise supprise, there
was no evaporator core in my dash.  So either Lance is blind or just a flat
out FRAUD. Im going to put my money on the second answer.
    In any case Lance tries to present himself as a Delorean expert, and a
honorable businessman, I can't decide which is more of a lie.  I have never
had an experance where a customer and their car were treated with so little
respect.  So please beware I dont want anyone else who owns a D to have to go
through  spending over $2000 to have not have a problem fixed and to end up
with a $500 broken part, which was perfectally fine before.
    At this point I am looking into legal options, in fact in Illinois it is
a crime to refuse old parts to a customer, I may go that route.

So please beware, and if there are any good delorean shops in the chicagoland
area, please tell me!

Andrew
4194

PS: Paradise Motorsport also clams to speicalize in Lincoln's, if you know
anyone that owns a Lincoln please warn them too.

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:54:55 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Engine bogging out

This sounds like your fuel enrichment circuit which includes the
frequency valve. Do you hear a loud buzzing comming from the right
hand valve cover? If not check out the lambda relay and fuse.

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:15:38 -0700
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Camshaftbelt / drivechains / PRV Engine

The only problem I've heard of regarding the timing chains is related to the
tensioners. They're hydraulic in that oil pressure keeps them tense. There's
a small plastic filter screen in the orifice that feeds the oil to the
tensioner and a severely overheated engine can melt the plastic to a point
it restricts oil flow to the tensioner which results in loose chains and
erratic valve timing.

Bruce Benson

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:38:28 +0200
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com>
Subject: Re: Rim replacement anyone?

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering putting new rims on my DeLorean. For that the rim-shop
> needs some offset values for the new rims to fit that I and they
> probably don't know. I believe they call it a "t value" but I can be
> mistaken. I had the plan to put 16" front and 17" rear rims on the car
> (instead of the standard 15" and 16") to make it look purdy, but <SNIP>

Sacha, Original rims are 14" front and 15" rear.

Tom Niemczewski
tomcio_at_dml_jamesik.com
vin 6298 (FOR SALE)

--

Zakupy przez Internet. Placisz wygodnie i bezpiecznie.
Z karta kredytowa lub bez [ http://portfel.onet.pl ]

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:46:22 -0700
From: "Mike Allred" <mallred_at_dml_roava.net>
Subject: New Owner

I've just purchased a 1981 DeLorean and have a few problems I hope someone can help me with.

When you first start the car it seems that it's starving for gas. It seems that it isn't even getting enough to allow it to pull off. You can push the gas pedal and it just won't respond.

It also seems very sluggish in the lower gears until you reach about 2500-3000 RPM's. Once you get past 3000 RPM's in first it runs okay.

I also have a problem with the door locks. Both doors will lock with the key from the drivers side but the passenger side will not unlock when you unlock the driver side door.

Thanks for your help.

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:03:14 +0200
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>
Subject: Bolts on hinges/gullwing door

I want to replace the bolts on the gullwing doors simply because of appearance. They look bad and rusty. The bolts Im talking about are the ones securing the hinges on the door.

Now, can I replace them one by one? Is this a safe procedure or do I have to relax the torsion bars?
What I want to do is take the bolts one at a time when the doors are up. Loosen one, then replace it, then the next one etc.

Also, can stainless steel bolts be used or is there a stress factor involved here? I dont want the bolts to suddenly break!

Last question, what is the correct size on the bolts securing the hinges to the door?

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:34:39
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: relay

Hi list,
I was reading about removing the A/C panel relay and putting in a jumper
wire. Well I did just that but now I have this problem with my radio staying
on. Is the radio hooked into that relay also?
I just think that the A/C lights should come on and off with the headlights,
who needs them during the day. I have been thinking about finding another
way to wire the lights and putting the relay back.
Any ideas about the radio?
does that happen with other peoples cars?
Oh the radio stays on for like 30 sec. or so.
Thanks!

                         Ryan- vin.#16301

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:11:47 -0700
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Otterstat-Finis

Put the new otterstat on with the new clip thought you might like to
know the rest.  Had heard about air bubbles and bleeding and the like so
was paying attention to the refill.  All I did was start the engine and
pour coolant into the overflow reservoir until it was about half full (a
little over a gallon), put the cap on and let it run a while.  Next day
checked and coolant was where I left it in the reservoir.  Drove it into
town today, no heat problems at all, fans didn't come on (they normally
don't unless AC is on), by the gauge it was as cool as ever, in fact
seems a tad cooler but that's probably imagination.   Otterstat clamp on
my VIN (later one) is just a piece of formed wire, a spring type, quite
strong.  I wrote last about adding a nylon tie, this I did.  Robert
mentioned the stainless hose clamp, that was my first instinct too but I
asked around and per previous the agreed upon clamp was the nylon tie.
The hose clamp is probably overkill but no harm in that.  No bleeding
problems, no problems at all but I have one other thought, there's room
for more than one wire clamp if you care to use, If I had it to do over
I'd use 2 clamps (still can, of course, and may still do it).  There's
plenty of room and from a mechanical point of view just a better
concept.  Then again, how much overkill do you need?

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:35:52 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean check blanks?

Hey guys,

i know this is a little off-topic, but i think others might find it
interesting too.
i work in sales where i see probably a hundred checks written during my shift
when i do a deposit.  often times i see peoples' checks with a '69 mustang, a
'67 camero, etc on it.

anyone know of a source for getting DeLorean check blanks???  it would make a
wonderful birthday present for myself (my B-Day is July 27th)!!!!!

maybe there is some software out there that someone can recommend to me that
will do the job? like i could scan a picture of my car, then put it on a
check template, and print them out on some special paper?

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 19:44:05 -0000
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com

I have a similar problem, but it only happens when I shift into 5th
gear, and only after I have been driving for a while.  I have a SS
line and everything appears to be fine.  Any ideas?

Erik

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:34:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Doug Hornsby <govenorofvirginia_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: D sighting: Roanoke TImes Article

For all the VA D owners, here is a sighting I saw in
the Tidewater VA paper picked up from the Roanoke
Times
http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story115155.html
-=DH=-

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:19:19 -0700
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Re: James Espey has sent this to you!

Good one!  I think it's both fair and upbeat!  Thanks for sharing James.

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 02:56:58 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: ADMIN NOTE: MAIL Delivery Problem

I've received a couple of inquires over the past few days about
delivery of DML mail - if you are reading this as an email you
probably don't have the problem.

If you are looking at this on the web hopefully this will reassure
you that we are still here and are aware of the problems.
Unfortunately, Yahoo Groups seems to have a problem at the moment
with the real-time email delivery. It is not unique to AOL or any
other domain, so it DOES seem to be a Yahoo problem. Unfortunately
their "help" page isn't very helpful, and gives no indication that
they are working on it, so in the mean time you'll have to read and
post online on the web. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews

I've seen this in the past and it gets fixed - eventually.

If I find out anything more I'll post it here.