From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 666
Date: Thursday, August 09, 2001 10:54 PM

1. Re: New Delorean commercial!
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

2. Re: Is a worn fuel pump causing my engine to die??
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

3. Re: Is a worn fuel pump causing my engine to die??
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

4. P-R-V 1-2-3
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

5. Delorean documents on ebay..
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

6. Detomaso Pantera ...gullwing?
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com

7. Re: New Delorean commercial!
From: E Grauff <datamonk_at_dml_svn.net>

8. Starter Motor
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

9. Re: Turbo DeLorean
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

10. Re: motor oil and gas - recommended?
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

11. Odd AC cycling
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

12. RE: Re: Drippy AC
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

13. Re: New Delorean commercial!
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:13:17 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: New Delorean commercial!

I agree. This comes up on the list once in a while. I even hesitate
to comment, but here goes.

We've had a "policy" of sorts among the moderators on the list that
this topic would be more-or-less ignored until we saw something
substantive in the "regular press" about it - meaning Car&Driver,
Autoweek, and/or the Wall Street Journal etc. If the so-called new
DMC is ever more than a joke or a hoax, it will be covered in those
places.

Joe is right - it is impossible to design and engineer a car anywhere
near production level, in secrecy. Look at what has gone on with
Carroll Shelby's latest effort, or the cars produced by Panoz
Motorsports. They are covered at every step of development. Even the
really big guys show prototypes to build excitement (and investment!)
years in advance.

Until then, there is nothing to talk about. Somebody is pulling your
(our)leg.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> I've mentioned this before and I'll say it again. Until there is
coverage from notable publications like Motor Trend and Autoweek it
is extremely unlikely that there will be any public PR for a brand
new car. Keep in mind that the original DeLorean Motor Company was
receiving tons of industry press years before the first DeLorean
rolled out of the factory]

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:40:02 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Is a worn fuel pump causing my engine to die??

Although the fuel pump can "wear out" the trouble is usually a suction
leak that allows air into the pump which causes all kinds of running
quality problems and will eventually lead to premature failure of the
fuel pump. The fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel so if it
is pulling in air you can guess what happens. Before replacing the
pump carefully inspect the pick-up hose and make sure it and all of
the baffles are correctly installed. Also when installing the fuel
pump use extreme care to not kink the hose. If the hose seems soft
replace it because the fuel pump can collapse the hose with the
suction it can create. Alternatively you can install a spring inside
the hose to prevent kinking and collapsing. If these tips don't help
and the pump is still noisy it is probably shot and will soon quit
completely so change it but keep it as an emergency spare. Cars with
this problem always seem to do better on a full tank of gas, it covers
the hose and cools the pump.

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 16:15:10 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

It sounds to be the fuel pickup line in the tank. It's a thick black
molded hose that goes from the pump to the Fuel baffle, there's a
filter on the other end. When the fuel get warmed up it tends to
soften the hose (since it is old) and the hose begins to collapse
from the fuel pumps suction. This will constrict the fuel flow and
cause that loud sound from the pump. It's the sound of fuel
starvation. Don't let it go to long as this can damage the pump. The
new specially molded hose (and better material) can be purchased from
Rob Grady (www.PJGrady.com). It's Part Number 106287G.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 14:51:35 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: P-R-V 1-2-3

I just opened up my fuel sender unit; the gas light wasn't coming on...
Seems there was a little bit of non-conductive material on the
contacts...  A few scrapes and I'm off to the races!  What an easy job;
the whole deal from start to finish was 10 minutes.  I love the Delorean.
 Fiberglass to save weight and a stainless body so you'll never need a
sander and bondo again.  What a great idea!  It's simple and accessible
enough for anyone to fix most things...  Which brings me to the "OTHER
THINGS".  That PRV engine, I swear, is the bane of this car's existence.
Who would put the distributor OVER THERE????  If I only knew who was
responsible for that K-Jetronic fuel management system.....

I think the car would have sold much better if it was just a little
faster- a real contender with the same-year vettes.  Were there other
offers/ideas for other engines to be put in the delorean?  How horrible
must they have been?

Does anyone agree with me or am I just making the purists mad again?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 14:54:54 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Delorean documents on ebay..

I'm just curious who or what is profiting from all the items on Ebay that
mention " Delorean Motor Company's corporate records and documents that were
seized as a result of its 1982 bankruptcy"?  Shouldn't they have been sold
as part of the bankruptcy, or at a minimum, returned to JZD?

-Hank #1619

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 18:56:13 -0000
From: delorean502_at_dml_excite.com
Subject: Detomaso Pantera ...gullwing?

Did the Pantera ever come in a gullwing version?  I met a guy today
who used to run a body shop.  He said a Pantera came in once with
gullwing doors.  I've never heard of them having gullwings.  Also,
this guy claims that when the delorean came out he had them in the
shop all the time because of stress fracture on the doors.  Has
anybody heard of this?  I know the Bricklin was known to do that and
I asked him if maybe he was confusing the D with the Bricklin, but he
stood his ground.

Erik

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:03:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: E Grauff <datamonk_at_dml_svn.net>

Perhaps the video is to show to VC to raise the millions of dollars . . .

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:13:41 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Starter Motor

Sorted!!!

My local Car Electric Shop have stripped and cleaned my starter motor and replaced the corroded solonoid, all for 40. Works like a dream now. Starts the engine in about Quater of a revoloution.

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:10:08 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Turbo DeLorean

Interestingly, this car's engine seems identical to Tony Lawther's
right-hander here in the UK. Picture here:

http://delorean.connect-2.co.uk/pictures/dcp02079.jpg

AFAIAA this was a turbo from a Renault Alpine A310. I don't know if the exact
history is known by Legend definitely had A310s for work on the DeLorean

Martin

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 23:41:28 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: motor oil and gas - recommended?

As far as gasoline is concerned, my car has never run well on 87
octane. The engine is sluggish, and accellerates very poorly. 89 she
does ok on, and is alright for commuting. 92 REALLY brings the engine
to life. Granted I'm still not going to win drag races at the track,
but the engine response is much quicker. While you may not ever go
that fast, when running 92 octane I can usually get the engine around
2-3K RPM's faster in 5th gear _at_dml_ 100mph+. Although I'm still looking
for a longer, isolated stretch of highway to see just what the engine
will top-off at. While on a personal note, the best fuel I've found
to run in my car is Sinclair 92 octane.

As far as oil is concered, I doubt there will ever be a 100% clear
answer on this. Many people perfer 1 type to another. So to stay as
unbiased as possible, I will omit brand names. And to reduce
confusion, I will also ommit the centigrade conversions. As an
example, I myself run 20W/50 in my car. In the DeLorean owners
manual, it specificly states 20W/50 is for 60+ Note that there is no
limit on the temp.

The next range is 2to102. Oils here are reccomended are 10W/50,
10W/30, 10W/40, 15W/40, and 20W/40. My guess here is that these grade
types are listed from coldest temp, up to the highest. Here you can
also see that the range has a limit of 102. Since my geographic area
exceeds this limt, I use a heaver oil. Yes you will not find some of
these multigrade mixures on the shelf at your local auto parts store.
But they do still exist.

Lastly, for the -2to-21 range, the manual reccomends to use 5W/20,
or Single Wieght 30. It also notes that these wieghts shouldn't be
used when the temp is consistantly above 32F. Since most, if not all
D's stay home durring these types of weather conditions, this last
scale probably won't apply to anyone.

Now on more of a personal, kind of flip side to this debate. Most new
cars I've seen (GM specificly) reccomend using 5W/30. I always looked
at those and though the wieght was WAY too low. Especially on the
cars with V-8 engines! But to follow my own advice, guidelines set by
the manufacturer should be followed for the specific engine. Remeber,
the PRV uses hydrolic tensioners for the timing chains, while other
engines don't. What is good for 1 type of motor, isn't always good
for a different type. But even my old Ford 5.0 truck was set to
almost the exact same guidelines as my DeLorean is.

Anyhow, just my 2

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> i was going though my shop manual today and noticed that it
recommends 91
> octane gasoline for the car.  i've been using 89 octane.  yes i
know what the
> rating means, but is there a good reason i should be using 91
instead of 89?

> second,  it recommends some pretty heavy motor oil.  it says that
15w40 is a
> recommended weight!  i've done over a thousand oil changes at the
part time
> job i work at, and i've never put oil like that in a car - the only
engines
> that use that (Rotella, usually), are big diesel pickups!!
it's 'the diesel

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:39:38 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: Odd AC cycling

I've probably got an AC leak since my system is cycling excessively again
(only 8 months since fill gas charge-- drop-in conversion to the new stuff).
But the weird thing is this. When I'm moving down the road for the first few
minutes after start it's cycling quite heavily-- every couple of seconds.
But if I'm stopped, or coasting & the RPM's are under 1500, it stops
cycling. Then magically a couple of minutes after I get going and after
RPM's drop down at least once, it stops and only cycles once every couple of
minutes (if that). the air out the vents by then is quite cool and
comfortable in this sticky 90 stuff.

We did checks for leaks before and after conversion/fill last december, it
was ok. Now what?

Kevin
#4687, Houston

---------
I read this somewhere:
"most experts agree that the end of the world will come by accident, most
likely. That's where we come in; we're Computer Experts, we make accidents."

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:58:37 -0500
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Drippy AC

A hundred net points to Jim Reeve for correctly diagnosing my
moisture problem.  I, too had some compost in the bottom of the
casing.  I'm not quite as limber as Jim so I don't think I got
all of the gunk out.  However, after a half hour test, I had no
drips and good flow through the drain hose.  I also cable-tied the
hose along the AC lines outside the frame.  This will keep the
end of the hose below the bottom of the case, which should
improve flow.  Although the temps are down here, it is still
humid, so I was abel to verify my theory that a closed car
will not develop any condensation on the outside of the
case (mine never was insulated, by the way).  In fact, after
leaving the doors open a while and getting some condensation,
I closed them and the case dried up.  I think my carpets will
stay dry for a while.

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:13:07 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

***** Moderator's Note *****
We're deep into speculation again.  This is the last post
on this subject.
*****

I have to agree with all of your comments. The only thing I can
figure about this is that mabe they are creating something to use to
entice investors into this and they wanted a video to show them that
this is "real". Also it's easier than a "dog and pony" show and can be
sent easily and can be seen on any vcr or dvd. If in fact they will be
sending this out as an info packet to potential investers then it
would also become a collectable item immediatly! Of course this can
only be done in secrecy up until they register with the SEC.