From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 685
Date: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 4:20 AM

1. Delorean Taillights
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com

2. Wobbley Acceleration
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

3. Cruise-In Program Update
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: Delorean Taillights
From: "Donald Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>

5. Any other engines?
From: "Blake Grover" <blakeistheman_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Bigger Problem - Clutch
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

7. Re: Wobbley Acceleration
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

8. Re: Found new/original Fan Blower motors
From: thai vu <thaiqvu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Found new/original Fan Blower motors
From: thai vu <thaiqvu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Delorean Economic Climate (was: People Magazine)
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

11. Mystery Electrical Gremlin (Grrrrrrr!)
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 02:56:17 -0000
From: CBL302_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Delorean Taillights

Does anybody know if the Delorean rear Taillights come apart,or are
they one piece,I have a set that are perfect,except that there is
some grit caught in there that,no matter how I try, I cannot dislodge
it(the grit) out of the taillights.

Claude

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:09:40 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Wobbley Acceleration

Recently I've noticed that when I accelerate, my rear end seems to
twist to the left.  It does require a minimal steering adjust when
accelerating hard, and hard 1-2 shifts its really noticeable.  Any
suggestions what this may be?  Thanks.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 00:22:42 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Cruise-In Program Update

To All,

As we move closer to the show date the program rundown is beginning to take final shape. Here is a quick review.

This will only be the second time in history that Rob Grady, Stephen Wynne, Bob Zilla and , yours truly, DMC Joe (Joe LoRe') will all be together in the same place. in addition to socializing among ourselves we will all make time available to answer your questions.

Steven will drive the DeLorean Motor Company "Up-grade Special" from their Houston Texas  showroom to Gainesville Georgia. This high performance DeLorean is equipped with all of the latest DMC upgrades, including the new high performance PRV engine conversion. Registered attendees will have the opportunity to test drive this FAST DeLorean.

Rob Grady will be driving his gorgeous emerald green DeLorean that always stands out among all other DeLoreans. Fully outfitted with the PJ Grady "High Performance Suspension Kit and the entire Zill Product Line of electrical upgrades this beautiful  DeLorean will also be available for test drives. Have you seen the, soon to be released, "Door Launchers ? See them "in action" at the show.

Also on display will be the DeLorean Services mobile home and shop staffed by me and my son Alan. This completely equipped vehicle is ready to roll to any DeLorean in need of service anywhere in the USA. On Saturday we will open the doors for tours and our surplus "DMC Joe Used Parts Flea Market", on Sunday we will be set up at Road Atlanta performing door torsion bar adjustments and other service procedures.

Along with the above display vehicles will be five additional display cars  from Bob Zilla, Ben Davis, and more. Keep in mind that there are only three days left to be eligible for the special Pre-Registration Prizes. For complete details on the Cruise-In Show click on this link http://www.geocities.com/dmcjoe/cruisein.html  to view the Cruise-In Website.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"See You At The Cruise-In"

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 08:05:11 -0700
From: "Donald Ekhoff" <ekhoff_at_dml_seagullsolutions.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean Taillights

Dear Claude,

I had the same condition and was able to clean them by placing chips of wood
and plastic inside along with soap and water.  Shake the assembly at
appropriate angles and the pieces of floatsum (wood and/or plastic) will
knock off the "grit".  Than shake out the water etc. and you will have nice
lenses again.  Pick the "floatsum" with retrieval in mind.

Don Ekhoff

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:26:04 -0000
From: "Blake Grover" <blakeistheman_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Any other engines?

I was wondering, has anyone here put in an engine other than the volvo,
like a GM engine?  Because I would like to stick a 3.8 /
Supercharged, and I was wondering how hard it would be to bolt to the
transmission or put in my own transmission if another would work.  I
understand you guys try to keep all the parts the original and I
understand that most of you would hate to do something like this.
Thanks for any help

Blake

[Moderator Note: This comes up frequently, Blake.  Yes, there have been various conversions.  If no one responds to this message, then search the back issues and you will find hours of interesting discussion.]

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:26:19 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Bigger Problem - Clutch

Well, today somthing went horribly wrong.  I was shifting from 2nd to
3rd, when the clutch had no initial pressure and about half way down
had extremely high pressure. It then clashed when going into 3rd gear,
and I knew I had a problem.  I pulled it back into neutral and coasted
into a parking lot.  I tried pushing the clutch in again, it went in
with great resistance (again, high pressure) then the pedal came out,
but I dont think the clutch did.  I could pump the pedal on and off
with no resistance, but I could also put it in gear with the engine
running, so the clutch must have been stuck disengaged.  I checked
around the hose, I didn't see any kinks, no fluid.  I went back in the
car and started pumping the clutch again, this time it was a random
series of heavy pressure and no pressure, then it finally had
absolutely no pressure.  I looked back under the car again and all the
clutch fluid dumped strait out of the back at the slave cylinder.  I'm
getting the car towed home this evening, but I am curious as to what
exactly happened.  Obviously, I burst some kind of seal either in the
slave cylinder or the clutchline right by it.  So whatever broke needs
to be replaced.  But I am also wondering if somthing in the clutch may
have siezed up and caused the high pressure, then pushing the pedal
broke the seal and dumped the fluid.  My throwout bearing has made
noise ever since I bought the car.  I dont know any service history,
but I do know that at some point recently all clutch hydraulics had
been replaced.  Both master and slave cylinders are fairly clean along
with having a braided stainless clutchline.  I guess my main concern
if this could be the clutch itself, is the noisy throwout bearing a
sign of what happened, or what?  This may have done it in for the car
the rest of this year.  Thanks for any help.

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:43:13 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Wobbley Acceleration

I would suggest that you have an electronic 4 wheel alignment
performed by a GOOD and competant shop. In particular they MUST check
and if needed adjust the "thrust angle" of the rear wheels. This is
done by adding or removing the shims under the trailing arm bolts in
effect causing the wheels to point straight ahead. Imagine if you will
 the results of the wheels pointing even slightly to one side or the
other. The result would be the thrust vector causing the car to lead
to one side or the other under acceleration. Another consequence would
be accerated wear on the tire that is "farther back" than the other as
it is being dragged. The trailing arm bolts must also be properly
torqued. Refer to the alignment specs in the workshop manual. Even if
the car is not in the alignment machine's data base they can enter the
specs in manualy. (Also check tire wear and pressures as that also has
an effect.)

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:16:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: thai vu <thaiqvu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Found new/original Fan Blower motors

Joe,
Mine was making a little noise and not a lot of air.
These blowers' bearing wear out easily and not
repairable.  If yours is noisy, then it's time to
replace it; nothing worse than hearing a noisy
fan/blower.  After I replaced mine, it's so quiet and
powerful.
Thanks,
--- Joseph Molino <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> what was wrong with your original?  Is this a
> replacement for a non-working
> one or is this fan simply quieter?  Mine is noisy.

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:07:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: thai vu <thaiqvu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Yes, it is the A/C-Heater blower (under the passenger
side knee pad).  I do not have the GM or NAPA
cross-ref. part number.  It certainly improve the
performance (more air) and much quieter!
Thanks,
--- shirazcupala_at_dml_home.com wrote:
> I assume you're talking about the
> air-conditioner/heater blower
> motor.  Could you provide the GM or NAPA part number
> for that
> motor?  Did you find that replacing it improved
> performance and/or
> made it quieter?
>
> thanks!
> shiraz
>
> ======
> Seattle, WA
> DeLorean #2860

[Trimmed by moderator]

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:48:59 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Delorean Economic Climate (was: People Magazine)

Mike D. wrote:

> Just my 2 cents regarding some prospective on the economic times of
> 1982.The corvette production (the car the DeLorean was supposed to
> compete with)Typically had been on the order of 50,000 cars per year
> for many years, in 1982 The production of corvettes was half at around
> 25,000 cars. I would think that much of this had to do with GM
> recognizing that the business was way off due to the economy.

[SNIP]

> One more observation, weren't most of the DeLorean dealer's GM dealers
> also? Wouldn't that mean that DeLorean dealers were also trying to
> sell Corvettes?
> Just looks like one more obstacle in the sale of the DeLorean at that
> time.

While we've mentioned it before, this is a great place to point out that GM
picked this particular point in history to *stop* production of Corvettes
completely.  They phased out the old "Coke Bottle" 'vette after 1982, and did
not sell another production 'vette until the 1984 model year.  That awful
slump in sports car sales sure was a convenient time for GM to do this.  Was
this dumb luck for GM, or genius planning?

GM sold zero 1983 Corvettes.  Then 1984 hit the second-highest sales volume
in Corvette history.  One can only speculate that 1983 might have been a
propitious time for DeLorean to swoop in and fill the 25,000 - 50,000 car
void.   Too bad officials of the Thatcher government had picked February,
1982 to put DMC into receivership.  Few consumers will buy a durable good
from a company on the verge of bankruptcy, no matter how strong their hunger
for the product.

If I had a yardstick to measure wisdom, I would probably find the decisions
made in London at this time were even more stupid than the decisions made in
Detriot were brilliant.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 20:04:24 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Mystery Electrical Gremlin (Grrrrrrr!)

Driving home Saturday night, my car died about two blocks from home.
Long story short, I did a little roadside trouble shooting, and
discovered that fuse #7 had blown. I replaced the fuse, the car
started, and I continued home. Then as I turned the corner to go into
my driveway, the fuse blew again! Another fuse, and I got my car into
the garage.

As I let the car idle for a few minutes, I noticed that fuse #7
became much warmer than the rest of the fuses in the block. Looking
thru the workshop manual, it states that among other things, fuse #7
provides power to the Control Pressure Regulator. Last week I removed
my CPR to clean it out (poor accelleration problem). When I opened it
up, I noticed that the insulation on the wire inside was burned, and
there was some black soot. I haven't had the chance to drive my car
since, but I am curious if anyone has ever heard of a short in the
heating coil within the CPR. And of course if anyone else knows of
any other places in the circuit to look for a short.

Thanks in advance!