From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 686
Date: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 7:20 PM

1. DMC in Penn State area?
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

2. Voltage Drop and Clicking Sound
From: <bmims_at_dml_ut-texas.com>

3. Re: Bigger Problem - Clutch
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Mystery Electrical Gremlin (Grrrrrrr!)
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

5. Re: Any other engines?
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

6. "Cavepaintings" and dates in behind (above) headliners...
From: "Jan van de Wouw" <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>

7. Re: Mystery Electrical Gremlin (Grrrrrrr!)
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

8. Re: Delorean Taillights
From: "mrdog" <garbadee_at_dml_bigfoot.com>

9. Re: Delorean Economic Climate (was: People Magazine)
From: Al Nelson <z52vette_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Need Window Regulator Bracket/SpiralShaft
From: shirazcupala_at_dml_home.com

11. Re: Any other engines?
From: "Jeff" <Gr8old1_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: Bigger Problem - Clutch
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

13. Miniture Lamps
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Mystery Electrical Gremlin (Grrrrrrr!)
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

15. Cruise-In
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

16. Cruise-In
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: "Cavepaintings" and dates in behind (above) headliners...
From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com

18. Re: Delorean Economic Climate (was: People Magazine)
From: turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com

19. Re: Bigger Problem - Clutch
From: "Eric J. Hennebury" <ehennebury_at_dml_performconsulting.com>

20. Winner of the Gold DeLorean
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com

21. New Orleans
From: Shannon Yocom <ss_at_dml_delorean.com>

22. My Clutch - Part II
From: "Jim Reeve"<ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

23. an interesting parts car
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

24. Used window regulators on ebay
From: nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com

25. Re: Found new/original Fan Blower motors
From: "Dan" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:42:05 -0400
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: DMC in Penn State area?

My fellow Penn State roommates have told me they spotted a DMC cruising down
Beaver avenue this past weekend.  Could it be someone on the list?

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:23:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: <bmims_at_dml_ut-texas.com>
Subject: Voltage Drop and Clicking Sound

On John Hervey's suggestion I pulled the instrument panel and replaced my
battery instrument light.  This caused the charging to indicte positive on
the ammeter.  The light now comes on when I turn the ignition and goes out
properly.  Before I was not getting a charge because the light was
defective.   Now, I am having the same symptoms and am hearing a clicking
sound from the front area and the ammeter is showing voltage drops.

What is going on now?  Any help greatly appreciated...especially from John
Hervey.

Bobby Mims
Tyler, Texas

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:35:03 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Bigger Problem - Clutch

Jim, More than likley you just lost a slave cylinder as you noted with the
fluid coming out. The throw out bearing will make a noise like any other
bearing going out, but to cause a problem like that is most unlikely. If your
clutch is good and only need bearings, email me.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:29:35 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Mystery Electrical Gremlin (Grrrrrrr!)

Blowing #7 fuse could be a sign of impending failure of the fuel pump.
When the pump wears out and reaches the end of it's life it tends to
draw more current then usual. This circuit #7 is a large circuit
feeding many points and there could be insulation breakdown anywhere
that would cause this. Do a general visual inspection of the wiring
harness and measure current draw at the fuel pump. It can be done
easily at the inertia switch which gives the fuel pump it's ground. If
you think it's the CPR just unplug it and try running the car without
it (it won't run too good but for testing purposes good enough) and
see if #7 fuse keeps blowing. As always it is very smart to keep some
extra fuses in the car just don't EVER over fuse ie; install a larger
fuse than called for.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., DMCVegas_at_dml_l... wrote:
> Driving home Saturday night, my car died about two blocks from home.
> Long story short, I did a little roadside trouble shooting, and
> discovered that fuse #7 had blown. I replaced the fuse, the car
> started, and I continued home. Then as I turned the corner to go
> into my driveway, the fuse blew again!

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:50:17 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: Any other engines?

Darryl Tinnerstet did a Supercharged GM engine in his Delorean. You
can see the results here:

From what I know through emails with him, he instaleld a Chev 4.3
liter V-6 with a custom B&M Automotive's supercharger made for this
engine. A LOT of modifications went into the car such as custom
making an engine cradle to adapt it to the Delorean chassis, grinding
and modifying the bell housing to his stock delorean 5 speed
transmission, custom making his own bell housing to engine adapter,
the Chevy engine flywheel was sent to Centerforce to have them modify
it so that the Delorean clutch can mount to it, etc...

He's on this list and also owns Specialty Automotive,
Web addresss is: www.delorean-parts.com
You can find his email address on his webpage along with his contact
numbers. Last I spoke with him he does not sell any form of a kit nor
does he make any of the parts he had made up for himself....he may be
able to give you some pointers / tips.

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Blake Grover" <blakeistheman_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> I was wondering, has anyone here put in an engine other than the
> volvo, like a GM engine?

[quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:54:30 -0000
From: "Jan van de Wouw" <Jan_at_dml_vdWouw.Demon.nl>
Subject: "Cavepaintings" and dates in behind (above) headliners...

Hello again,

As I wrote earlier, I re-did my headliners this weekend.
It didn't turn out perfect, but I'm more than happy with the results.
When the little imperfectiosn start to bother me I can allways do it
again...

Anyway, what I noticed is that my doors were dated to have been
OK-ed on Nov 1st and 4th, it said so on the insoide of the
roof-pieces of the door.
This is kind of strange, since my car (#05141) is an October 81
and I don't think they even had the machinery to even make doors in
Nov '80...  Could it be that my doors were replaced at a QAC?
If I understand the writings the right way, they were built by
different employees (other number), but they were built for the same
car: the left one says 36L, the right one has 36R written on it.
What's the deal here???

Another thing I found is a drawing of "Winnie the Witch", I remember
seeing a similar picture on the Internet, can someone point me to the
right URL? I tried searching the group, but the search turned up
empty.

Thanks in advance,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

check out the Delorean-Files at:
http://www.deloreanfiles.nl/
------------------------------

PS. Yes, I DID put in some text of my own; now my name
(and that of my car) will be saved with it
for as long as it has its' doors on it...

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:05:30 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

I had the same EXACT thing happen to me with the CPR valve. I opened
it up and all the insulation on the wires were burned up along with
having that Black soot on it. That black soot is the result from a
short (sparking possibly). My wires were completely broken from
shorting out and heating up for so long. If you want to try and
repair them, I used wire that is found on those BBQ electonic
ignitions. It's a black coated wire and the coating is a Teflon
coating, made to withstand High Heat. I bought one of those ignition
units and took the wire that went from the sparker button to the
ceramic ignition module that mounts next to the burner. It worked but
there was still a problem with the valve itself on mine so I still
had to replace it (it had been sitting for 5 years with fuel in it).

Steve

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:51:50 -0400
From: "mrdog" <garbadee_at_dml_bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Taillights

Silly idea but how about a waterpick?  Start on low pressure and maybe a
presoak with something like dish soap?

Ed
10541

[moderator snip]

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 20:09:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Al Nelson <z52vette_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Economic Climate (was: People Magazine)

I'll de-lurk to clarify the Corvette information.
Chevrolet did NOT "stop production of Corvettes."
True, there were no 1983 Corvettes sold to the public.
 What was to be the 1983 Corvette was delayed due to
assembly/quality issues not being up to par for the
new model.  During that time, it was discovered that
the new car could meet 1984 federal standards and big
$$$ could be saved by just introducing the car as a
1984.  So, the 1982s kept being built and the 1984
debuted very early in March of 1983.  This extra long
model year for 1984 contributed to the second-largest
production run in Corvette history of 51,547 cars.

It was not a conscious decision on GM's part to skip
the 1983.  On the contrary...it would have been the
30th anniversary model year with, undoubtedly, some
special "anniversary edition" being offered (and they
always sell as many of those as they can make).  The
point is that there was NOT an entire model year
skipped.

Al Nelson
1987 Corvette (vin 00123, built August 1986) :-)

--- Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu> wrote:

> While we've mentioned it before, this is a great
> place to point out that GM
> picked this particular point in history to *stop*
> production of Corvettes
> completely.  They phased out the old "Coke Bottle"
> 'vette after 1982, and did
> not sell another production 'vette until the 1984
> model year.  That awful
> slump in sports car sales sure was a convenient time
> for GM to do this.  Was
> this dumb luck for GM, or genius planning?
>
> GM sold zero 1983 Corvettes.  Then 1984 hit the
> second-highest sales volume
> in Corvette history.  One can only speculate that
> 1983 might have been a
> propitious time for DeLorean to swoop in and fill
> the 25,000 - 50,000 car
> void.   Too bad officials of the Thatcher government
> had picked February,
> 1982 to put DMC into receivership.  Few consumers
> will buy a durable good
> from a company on the verge of bankruptcy, no matter
> how strong their hunger
> for the product.
>
> If I had a yardstick to measure wisdom, I would
> probably find the decisions
> made in London at this time were even more stupid
> than the decisions made in
> Detriot were brilliant.
>
> - Mike Substelny

[MODERATOR NOTE:  This clarification to my earlier comment will be the end of the Corvette tangent.  However, any additional information about the DeLorean part of this thread will be welcome.]

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 03:56:43 -0000
From: shirazcupala_at_dml_home.com
Subject: Need Window Regulator Bracket/SpiralShaft

Hello,

Nick's post incited me to make this request.  My driver's side
window regulator is broken too. It's even the upgraded one. What's
wrong is the little bracket that connects the spiral regulator shaft
to the window is broken. All I need is to replace that bracket or
the bracket shaft combo. The rest of the unit is fine.

I've asked Nick if he could help me but in case that doesn't work
out I'm wondering if anyone out there who has replaced a window
regulator has the old unit and would be willing to sell it to me
cheap just so I can replace that one part.  DMC Joe thinks that the
diameter might be different so I might need to replace with the part
from an upgraded setup, but I"m willing to try the old one too since
I'm doubting anyone has an old broken updated regulator.

Please let me know!  It's hot, I have no A/C and my window is just
taped shut!

Thanks,
Shiraz
DeLorean #2860
Seattle, WA
http://members.home.net/shirazcupala/delorean/

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:42:42 -0000
From: "Jeff" <Gr8old1_at_dml_aol.com>

Try www.americancustomeng.com They can drop a Cadillac Northstar V8
in your D, there are pics on the site too, looks very good!

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:16:46 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

From your description it appears that you simply have a defective slave cylinder. Noisy throwout bearings are not un common and rarely result in any serious operational problems.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"See You At The Cruise-In"

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:56:20 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Miniture Lamps

Group, I have posted a catalog page on my web site that identifies
most of the miniture lamps. It doesn't show the part number because
that would be to many pages. It does show the bulb style you could
print off and show someone when your trying to locate a bulb. It's
under Talk & View/ Reference page. If you want a bulb number,email
me and I will look it up.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/images/miniaturelamps.jpg

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:09:49 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

Robert,

The #7 fuse has an extremely high failure rate due to a design flaw in that circuit. Remove the fuse block from its mounting cut the wires that are connected to fuse #7 and install an in-line replacement. Be sure to use a heavy duty in-line fuse holder and insure that the connections are solid. This circuit normally runs warm therefore any compromise in the added connections will overheat.

BTW: We are in the final design stages of a modification kit that will eliminate the overheating of this circuit, it should be available in November.

DMC Joe
www.dmc.tv
"See You At The Cruise-In"

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:33:15 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Cruise-In

Group, I thought I would let everyone know that I will be attending
the Cruise-In show also and showing new Fix's and Update fixes that
are posted on my web site. I will also be showing the new DeLorean
150 alternator with adjustable voltage regulator to help overcome the
sagging voltage on the volt meter. I will also be giving as a door
prise The New Fan Fix Dual 2x2. Bring some of your electrical items
that I might be able to fix or make up for you. I will be bringing,
wire, connectors, miniture lamps, fuse holder and many more
electrical items. I will also bring the new Lower control arm and a
oil drain plug that uses a standard 17 mm wrench.
Hope to see you there and meet everyone.
John Hervey
        http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:43:00 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Group, I thought I would let everyone know that I will be attending
the Cruise-In show also and showing new Fix's and Update fixes that
are posted on my web site. I will also be showing the new DeLorean
150 alternator with adjustable voltage regulator to help overcome the
sagging voltage on the volt meter. The new 18,000 volt Ignition coil
for that extra boost and smoother idleing.  I will also be giving as

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:10:12 -0000
From: badgeman46_at_dml_hotmail.com

   I think this is a more common occurance than one might think. When
I purchased my car, the interior pieces where loose from the dash, so
I took them out to do them right. Upon removal, I found numerous
scrawlings underneath on the fiberglass. My only question is who put
them there, the factory workers or the first owner. There are
initials, dates, and even one that says "Albert for King."

-Jay
16072

[moderator snip]

> Another thing I found is a drawing of "Winnie the Witch", I
> remember  seeing a similar picture on the Internet, can
> someone point me to the right URL?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> JAN van de Wouw

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:43:10 -0000
From: turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com

[Moderator note: The '83 Corvette discussion is closed.  This message was approved on the merits of the editorial in the second paragraph.]

It wasn't that GM was so savvy about the market, the reason there was
No 1983 production corvette (the only year a corvette was not produced
since it inception in 1953)was because with the radical modifications
and complete redesign they were not able to get it into production in
time.

 If a company like GM lost a whole model year of it 's high end sports
car because they couldn't get it into production in time I think that
it once again shows what an accomplishment JZD did in producing the
DeLorean in the time frame he did, starting with nothing more than a
dream to build a great car
Just my 2 cents again.

Mike D.

[duplicate quote snipped by moderator]

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:43:37 -0400
From: "Eric J. Hennebury" <ehennebury_at_dml_performconsulting.com>

Jim,
Last month my D decided to let me know it was tired of not being driven
enough by blowing it's throw-out bearing.  At least I assume this is what
happened.  My bearing has made noise since I purchased the car several years
ago.  I decided I would drive it until it didn't want to be driven anymore.
Well, wisps of white smoke, a burnt enamel smell, and an ear piercing
screaming every time I depressed the clutch pedal gave me that indication.
My primary reason for responding with this note is to let you know that once
my bearing failed, clutch effort increased significantly.  My master and
slave are original and my clutch line is plastic.  I've never before had any
difficulty shifting, but now once the car warms up, I get grinding between
gears.  All of this leads me to believe that a failed throw-out bearing
causes extra resistance on disengaging the clutch which is likely why you
ended up blowing your slave cylinder.

Now for my questions to the list... my car has less than 50K kms on it (31K
miles).  Since I'm going to be in there anyway, should I replace all of the
clutch items?  I've already decided on getting a new master/slave and ss
line.  It seems that while I'm in there, I should just do the rest of it as
well.  Thoughts?  Also, is there any auxiliary damage caused by a failed
throw-out bearing that I should expect?  The car still drives (although it
will be garaged until it is fixed).  I just want to get an idea of what I'm
in for prior to starting.

Thanks,
Eric Hennebury
VIN 17065

> Well, today somthing went horribly wrong.  I was shifting from 2nd to
> 3rd, when the clutch had no initial pressure and about half way down
> had extremely high pressure.
<details of Jim's clutch woes snipped>

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:35:28 -0000
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com
Subject: Winner of the Gold DeLorean

Hi all,

I was at a small local car show, only about 20 cars (it's a charity
event) and I met a chap who said that his male partner (I assume he
was gay) had won a DeLorean in an American Express competition whch
was painted gold. I had no reason to think he was lying as he was
very knowledgeable on the gold car, he even mentioned that the gold
plating was very very thin and that he did not particularly like the
interior colour!. Anyway I just thought it was interesting and
wondered if anyone knew where this gold DeLorean is now?

James RG
England

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:27:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ss_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: New Orleans

The Mrs & I are going to be in New Orleans this coming weekend and was wondering if any local DeLorean owners/enthusiasts would want to get together and shoot the breeze about our common addiciton :-)

Please email me privately.

Shannon
VIN# Not Yet!

Visit the De Lorean Motor Company web site at http://www.delorean.com to order your 1/18 scale diecast DeLorean model! Initial supplies limited so order soon!

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:13:56 GMT
From: "Jim Reeve"<ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: My Clutch - Part II

Well, after climbing on top of the engine this afternoon and peering down at
the clutch, I have a better understanding what had happened.  From initial visual
inspection, I could see that the outer seal on the slave cylinder is completely
torn off.  The push-rod also looks like its fully extended, and the linkage
bolt from the push-rod to the pivot fork has broke in two.  The pivot fork itself
looks like its fully retracted (clutch engaged) but when I started the engine
today I could shift through all gears without problem, like the engine wasn't
even on.  So I'm assuming that the clutch is physically siezed slightly disengaged.
 An inspection under the car (but not jacked up) showed clutch fluid all over
the frame, so I have to get that cleaned up and repainted/epoxyed.  But what
really caught my attention was a fair sized square hole on the driver's side
of the transmission casing in the clutch area.  If I remember correctly, Robert
Rooney started having major problems with his clutch after driving through a
small flood.  I believe Robert later diagnosed the water to have entered the
clutch area through this opening and corroded the internals of the clutch. (howd
I do Robet?)  Isn't there supposed to be a seal over this opening?  I couldn't
find it in the parts manual.  I've been driving my DeLorean daily since June,
and this included quite a few drives through the rain.  So it seems my clutch
has had pleanty of exposure to water.  For those who are interested, I will
still be attending the Minnesota Fall Get-together, but without my car.  Thats
it for now, my car is disabled for the rest of this year.  Everyone else enjoy
them!

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:39:43 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: an interesting parts car

I just spent the better part of the last two days dragging the leftovers of
a parted out DeLorean home.  It's easier to say what is left than what was
taken off.  Basically what is left is the engine (disassembled but looks
complete), manual transmission, frame, suspension pieces, radiator, fans,
plumbing, etc.  Unlucky for me, the front lower control arms are all bent up
from towing, and those are the parts that I was really after.  The best
parts that look useable are the steering rack, angle drive, starter,
alternator, and maybe some fuel system components.  The fuel system was
taken off, drained and stored indoors with the engine.  Everything else was
left in the weather for a few years.

Some interesting things I have noticed on the car: It has a custom one core
all brass radiator.  The core looks to be around 25 to 30mm wide.  It still
had the maker's tag on it with street & phone number, so I'm going to look
them up.

It has an interesting custom dual exhaust system.  Both sides look like
mirror images of each other.  They use the original exhaust manifold blowing
the exhaust forward through question-mark-shaped pipes that turn rear-wards
between the lower control arm and drive axle.

In order to get it home, I had to borrow the wheels from my car as this one
was just sitting on the ground covered with vines & a few wasp nests.  I
took some pictures, so it will make an interesting addition to the
collection of sad DeLorean pictures.  I'm calling this one a happy DeLorean
picture because these parts will help keep other cars running.

The frame appears wreaked enough that it isn't worth straightening.  It is
damaged both front & rear.  The owner said that the body looked perfect
before it was removed and that the damage to the frame happened from rough
handling.  He said they carried it over his fence to get it into his
backyard.  I don't really believe this, but then maybe he is right.  I'm
going to try to track down the guy who owns the rest of the car.

For now, the chassis with wheels is sitting in my front yard and looks real
cool.  I stood out there for about an hour just looking at everything.  I've
never gotten a good look at a frame from the top side before.  For those who
are curious, I paid $500 for it all.  If the front lower control arms were
in good condition then I think I would have gotten a good deal.  Otherwise I
think I paid too much.  My long term plans for the frame is to use it as a
pattern to make another out of aluminum -- if that can be done safely.
Maybe I can get my hands on some titanium instead?  I know nothing about
welding titanium.  I think the engine may have been badly overheated, so I
don't think anyone will try to make a running engine out of it.  I might
custom polish, chrome or powder coat the intake, valve covers, etc for
another engine.  But then maybe not.

See ya'll at the show in Georgia next month,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 23:07:56 -0000
From: nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Used window regulators on ebay

I normally wouldn't create a post that advertises my own auction on
ebay, but there have been a couple of posts of people possibly
looking for used window regulators...

If you go to ebay and search for "window regulators", the auction I
have posted will pop up. As the description says, they are used, and
the driver side regulator did not function at all when removed. The
passenger side would raise and lower the window, but would make a
"clicking" noise when it reached the top of it's path.

I'd be happy to entertain any other questions, but I don't know much
more than what is posted here and on the auction. Last time I
checked, the price was still at $9.99.

Nick
VIN 3092, the blue one.

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:52:26 -0000
From: "Dan" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Found new/original Fan Blower motors

I disagree. My fan was squealing like a pig on fire and all I did was
take it apart, clean the rust out of it, and put some anti-sieze lube
in the bottom part of it where the internal mototr meets the housing.
Result? No more squeal. It's been about 3 years now and it's still as
quiet as a mouse (that's not on fire of course).

---Dan