From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 705
Date: Friday, September 14, 2001 10:10 AM

1. Attention customers of HAGERTY and GRUNDY
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

2. Re: Exhaust Tips
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_scott.af.mil>

3. New Owner, old list member - long
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_scott.af.mil>

4. temp gauge wiring
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. Receint Posts
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

6. Stainless steel polish
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Attention customers of HAGERTY and GRUNDY
From: scott-c-arnold_at_dml_home.com

8. LHD car for sale
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>

9. VIN plate
From: "evan" <autotec_at_dml_ozemail.com.au>

10. Sedoc Cruise in
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:14:49 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: Attention customers of HAGERTY and GRUNDY

After the discussion earlier this week about insurance, I called both
HAGERTY and GRUNDY and asked the question:

"If my car is hit in the parking lot at work or stolen from work, will
you pay the claim?"

The answer was a definite "NO".

If you are insured by either company, know your risk!

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:05:41 -0000
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_scott.af.mil>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Tips

David,
  I'd recommend against the larger exhaust tips.  When I purchased my
DeLorean it has some custom exhaust tips on it and I noticed that on
one side of the vehicle the plastic under the bumber has deformed and
melted due to the added heat caused by the tips.  I'm not sure if the
tips on it now are the ones that caused the damage or if larger tips
were on it before.  Either way the current tips are coming off as I
don;t want to see any more damage cause to the rear end of the car.

Jeff Phillips

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:32:01 -0000
From: "Jeff Phillips" <jeff.phillips_at_dml_scott.af.mil>
Subject: New Owner, old list member - long

Hey all, I just wanted to announce that I'm the proud new owner of
#10544.  I bought it over the weekend in Indiana and drove it home
(nearly w/o incident) to St Louis.  A brief history of the car goes
as follows.  Unsure of the original owner and I pick up the trail 2
owners prior to me.  Owner A bought the car and planned on putting a
small block Chevy engine in it (obviously not a list member) and
after disassembling the car and haveing an adapter plate made learned
that the engine was too big.  Immediately he put all the parts neatly
into boxes and left the car in the garage, deciding instead to buy a
<gag> Corvette instead.  He then sold the car sometime later to his
brother who shipped it to Indiana and began the long process of
reassemblying the car 5 years ago.  He did a fairly good job and the
car looks great with new headliners, binnical, stereo, and
reassemblyed engine.  The tranny was completely rebuit as well as the
clutch.  The worst part of the car seems to be the frame with a few
good size holes in places.
   So I picked it up and drove it to St Louis, the longest trip the
car had been on in 10 years.  The only two problems I had were
outside of Kokomo the shifter linkage bolt came loose at the
centermounter pivot and the linkage popped off of the stud.  Causeing
ofcourse, me to be sitting at a stop light, infront of a long line of
cars, looking extreemly good but not going anywhere.  A quick
reference in the parts manual, a trip to the hardware store, and one
8M nut later I was back on the road.  It was uneventful from then
until St Louis with the exception of a few people travelling at
unsafe speeds towing uhauls just trying to catch up and snap a few
pictures, and a short caravan with a Dodge Viper travelling in the
same direction as me (we looked good driving together).  Not until I
exited the highway in my neighborhood did the second problem occur.
Yep overheating.  Parked the car, checked the fluid and saw it was
low.  Added more fluid, bled off some air, and all is fine again.
Occassionally I have to add coolant and the car is fine.  Will be
performing a pressure test soon to check the cooling system.  It
seems to lose coolant even before the engine hits 220.  Perhaps me
radiator cap is not functioning properly.  Anyways, I'm sure that
I'll be on the list some more as I begin to take care of the car.  I
used to follow the list several years ago but now I've got the needed
motivation to keep up with it.  thanks to all for the great advise
I've seen on the list already.

Jeff Phillips
#10544
St Louis.\

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:13:28 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: temp gauge wiring

Hey all,

in theory, if i were to have wiring problems in the engine compartment for my
temperature gauge, and i were to connect an extra piece of wire from the temp
sending unit to the 4-spade harness underneath the steering column where the
wire goes into the dash, would that work? or are there any other components
in the system that would be dangerously by-passed?

thanks
Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:44:27 -0700
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Receint Posts

There have been a few posts this past week that weren't related to the
DeLorean. In light of the horror of the past several days I posted them as
some of them regarded our subscribers living in the New York area. I'm
returning to strictly DeLorean related items now and if you did contribute
something unrelated I've deleted it. I understand the frustration we all
feel about these current events but the mailing list isn't the place to
discuss these happenings.

Bruce Benson, this week's moderator

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 23:54:18
From: "Ryan Foster" <westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Stainless steel polish

Hello,
Hi everyone I would just like to let everyone know that i have some more
stainless steel polish for sale for $20.00 a can Just email me at
westiething_at_dml_hotmail.com and I will take care of ya!
Thanks !
Ryan.

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 01:40:59 -0000
From: scott-c-arnold_at_dml_home.com
Subject: Re: Attention customers of HAGERTY and GRUNDY

I have yet to pick up my first DeLorean, so I have no idea what
Hagerty and Grundy are all about.  However, for those who are
scratching their heads on insurance, here is how I believe it works.
Feel free to debate if you think I am wrong.

If memory serves me correctly, if your car is hit in the parking lot,
the person that hit it is of course liable, and their Liability
coverage should pay for it (or you can probably sue them if they don't
have insurance, but no promises there).  However, if it was a hit and
run, then it may be impossible, without good witnesses, to find the
liable person.  In this case, the damage can still be covered by
Collision coverage, just as if you had hit someone else.  Of course,
this requires that you HAVE Collision coverage, which is usually the
most expensive.  Now, if your car is stolen, you need yet a different
coverage, Comprehensive.  Comp is good because it is usually cheap and
covers non-collision events like theft and various acts of nature.

I am familiar with Shelter Insurance in the mid-west, and I don't know
if they insure DeLoreans or not.  However, I do know that they at
least have rating data on DeLoreans, which is a good bet that they
might insure them.

Just my two cents...

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 07:55:41 +0100
From: "Chris Parnham" <chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net>
Subject: LHD car for sale

I wouldn't normally use the lists for cars for sale, but this one is a bit
unusual.

Left Hand Drive, Black interior, Auto, 3,000 miles from new, very early vin.
551 ( but no gas flap),
Eurospec, no cat etc. ( as it was originaly exported to Saudi )  It has
spent most of its life in a British Museum until liberated by a DOC member 3
years ago. In similar condition to my Dusty.
House move forces quick sale at 10,000.  (about $14500). contact Mark on
(uk)  0191 455 2929.

Best regards Chris P. DOC UK..

All the best to you Yanks, we are all thinking about you and watching the
horrific pictures.

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 20:28:30 +1000
From: "evan" <autotec_at_dml_ozemail.com.au>
Subject: VIN plate

Hi guys, just after some specifications on the vin plate for the chassis. My frame was very badly rusted & the vin plate was missing except for about the last 1/2 inch.
my car is vin 2672. I was wondering if anyone had a picture & the dimensions of the plate & style/size of the print so I can have one constructed.
thanks alot, Evan from Oz.

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:17:18 -0400
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>
Subject: Sedoc Cruise in

Due to the tragic events this week, my Homecomming here has been cancled.  I
am seriously considering going to the event now, if that is still possible.
Can anyone in the Charlote -statesville NC area who is going plz get in
contact with me, so we could meet up
Thanks
Joe Palatinus
VIN 17167 6808