From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 712
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2001 11:55 AM

1. Coolant Y- pipe problem
From: rorx2000_at_dml_yahoo.com

2. Re: Hello all, from a new member!
From: sharksigns_at_dml_yahoo.com

3. Oil Drain Plug ( New )
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Steering Problem
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

5. Re: Where is this valve??
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

6. Re: Where is this valve??
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 06:12:30 -0000
From: rorx2000_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Coolant Y- pipe problem

Hello, everyone I need some ideas on how to fix this if possiable.
I wanted to change the o-rings on the coolant Y-pipe under the intake
manifold. One nut broke and the other's head is stripped really bad.
I can't get a socket or vise grips on it. anyone have any ideas that
may help.

Rory
Vin#3010

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 08:54:09 -0000
From: sharksigns_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Hello all, from a new member!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., RJRavalli_at_dml_A... wrote:
> Mark, just curious, but what has led you to decide to take your
Delorean out of storage?  Anything specific?

> Welcome to the list!
>
> Richard

Finding others on the web still interested in the DMC gives me
renewed enthusiasm in my love for the car.  My company leaves me
little time needed for this, but finding the DML has really centered
my interest and given my desire a jump start.

Thanks!

Mark

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:39:19 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Oil Drain Plug ( New )

Group, I thought I would let everyone know that I now have a new oil
drain plug that doesn't require a special tool. It has an external
17mm head that uses a standard 17mm wrench or you can use a cresent
wrench or some of the newer tools. You can see it on my web site
under hardware or engine parts.
http://www.specialtauto.com/engine.shtml

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:42:25 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Steering Problem

Inspect the front lower control arms. It is common if recovery hooks
were attached to move or lift the car to the lower contol arms that
they bend. If they are bent it would make the steering hard and they
would not move up and down depending on how badly they are bent. The
bad news is they are hard to obtain. Maybe they can be straighted out.
This is the main reason the car needs to be flatbeded but if the car
is pulled onto the flatbed by the lower control arms the damage is
done. On some forgein cars there are big stickers underneath
indicating where to attach or not attach the recovery hooks. Maybe
this would be a good idea for the Delorean vendors to produce?

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:48:54 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Where is this valve??

The valve I think you are refering to is located UNDER the air intake
plenum. It is very difficult to see and impossible to reach without
removing the plenum. If it is not hooked up or is hooked up wrong,
while you are under the plenum replace all cooling system hoses and
seals.

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:16:26 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

Eric,

if you have small hands, the thermal control valve is located deep under the
air induction manifold and air meter assembly.  you will never be able to see
it without removing those parts, you can't even see it from below the car.
you will have to take your hand and feel around for it.  it is really right
where the picture shows it to be.  there should be three hoses coming off of
it right in a row.  i was able to find mine by holding a vacuum hose and
following it down until i found where it went down there.  i'm a pretty small
guy so i can get my hand under there and i can feel all three hoses connected
to the valve.

perhaps some 'mechanic' couldn't find the thermal control valve so he just
hooked hoses up to other vacuum hoses?  my advice to you would be to locate
the thermal control valve - if you can't, find another owner in the area who
is able to get his hand down there to verify its presence.  you don't have
any non-stock engine modifications, do you?  if you don't, i would go ahead
and get all new hoses and route them the way they should be.  obviously the
thermal control hoses are the hardest.  but be careful - if your car runs
now, there's a good chance it won't run when you done because in order to get
the car to run the way it is now (if it really is messed up), they probably
had to play with some other things.  if you don't know what you are doing,
have a seasoned D owner help you out.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596