From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 715
Date: Sunday, September 23, 2001 9:48 AM

1. Re: Rich Fuel mix with High Idle
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

2. Re: Dead speedo and hard shifting
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

3. Door Launchers (WAS Re: Extra/unused wires in doors)
From: "Brian Henderlong" <bhender1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

4. SEDOC 01
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: "Deloreans" magazine
From: "D Hernandez" <flacahernandez_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. "deloreans" magazine...
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

7. Autofest Next Weekend
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

8. RE: Death of vin#1657 :(
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

9. Re: "deloreans" magazine...
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

10. Catching up - Delorean Questions
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Rich Fuel mix with High Idle
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_prodigy.net>

12. Door Launchers (WAS Re: Extra/unused wires in doors)
From: nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Where is this valve??
From: "Eric" <ericp_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:38:27 -0700
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Rich Fuel mix with High Idle

What made you decide you have a rich mixture, the glowing converter? A large
vacuum leak will cause a fast idle and also run very high combustion temps.
Rich mixes make for cooler combustion temps although you are right, unburned
fuel can cause the converter to get very hot. It's rare that these cars just
start doing these things. The K-Jetronic system is relatively bullet proof.
It's usually neglect or something that you have done that created the
problem. If you've had some things apart, back track and look for areas that
could cause a leak in the intake system. I've seen vacuum leaks large enough
to make the exhaust manifolds glow bright red.

Bruce Benson

> I am having some trouble locating the cause of a high idle condition (2000
>rpm) and an extremely rich fuel mixture. The mixture is so rich that the
>catalytic converter will begin to glow. distribution. I am running out of
ideas. >Has anyone run into this sort of thing before? Thanks in advance for
any >suggestions you guys may have.....

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:12:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: Dead speedo and hard shifting

Let's not forget the 5 dollar fix. There should be a white cap that
touches the weel and turns the angle drive. Make sure that you have this
cap and that the hole that the angle drive goes into is still nice and
square (if it gets rounded, the cap will spin with the wheel, but won't
spin the angle drive).

After that, disconnect the lower speedo cable from the angle drive. Jack
up the car, remove the front left wheel, turn the steering wheel all the
way to the right. Spin the cable. If the spedometer moves, it's the angle
drive.

After that, disconnect the upper speedo cable from the lambda counter
(white box in footwell) and spin it. If the spedometer moves, it's the
lower speedo or the gears inside the lambda counter. Check the integrity
of the lower cable to know for sure.

-Christian

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:23:17 -0400
From: "Brian Henderlong" <bhender1_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Door Launchers (WAS Re: Extra/unused wires in doors)

I was lucky enough to see PJ Grady's door launchers in action at the SEDOC
Cruise-In last weekend in Gainesville, GA, and yes, they are really, REALLY
neat!  Several of the SEDOC members got to try them out personally; perhaps
one of them will give their impressions.  The "both-doors-at-once" feature
is MOST impressive.  The launchers certainly seem to work as advertised.

- Brian Henderlong / Tampa, FL
- http://home.tampabay.rr.com/deloreans/index.htm

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 01:59:31 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: SEDOC 01

Group, I have posted 4 of the pictures taken at the SEDOC 01 ( South
Eastern Deloreans Owners Club ) meeting in Atlanta, this month
9/15/01. They are on the front page of my web site. Bob Miller, your
the centerfold.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:55:16 -0400
From: "D Hernandez" <flacahernandez_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: "Deloreans" magazine

Hi,

   I'm wondering if you can tell me how to subscribe to the "Delorean
Magazine"?  I didn't know this existed..thanks   Derek

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:35:10 -0000
From: "James" <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: "deloreans" magazine...

To give some more detail and deloreans (note the lower case 'd',
and the 's' on the end) magazine debuted in August at the Open
House. First issue is twenty pages, and is a printed magazine in
the same size and style as the final 'zine, but with a better design
and certainly with better printing. The second issue is currently in
production and will be mailed in the next 45-60 days.

It's the 'official' De Lorean Motor Company publication and will be
free to people who purchase a refurbished car from us or have
theirs restored by us. BRP members can subscribe at a reduced
rate, and anyone else can subscribe for $36 per year in the US
(4 issues). Charter subscriptions for $29 (20% off) are available
now through the end of October for a reduced rate, also.

It shouldn't be confused with "DeLorean World", the publication
of the DeLorean Owners Association. This is simply an
alternative to DeLorean World, published quarterly with a more
'technical' angle to it.

A free copy of the first issue was given to all the open house
attendees as well as the attendees to both the SEDOC event in
Georgia last weekend and the attendees to the NCDMC event
this weekend in San Ramon. Additionally, next week, a free copy
of the first issue will be mailed to all those on our current
customer list. Perhaps someone who received it already will
comment on it for Erik and the others.

For more details, or to subscribe, visit:

http://www.deloreans.com

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas

281/568-9573
800/USA-DMC1

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 19:34:56 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Autofest Next Weekend

Just another reminder - there will be a large contingent of DeLoreans
at Autofest in Evansville Indiana next weekend. In fact, they even
have us (DeLorean Cars) listed as an "added attraction" now on the
website! We're expecting DMC Houston to be there too.

http://www.autofest.com/af_2001_sched.htm

I'm aware of a caravan or two being set up. If you are interested in
coming from the Chicago area leaving very early Friday AM, and
driving via route 41 in Indiana, let me know. dswingle(AT)enteract.com

Feel free to post other caravan information on the DML.

More information at:

http://www.autofest.com/

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:23:08 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: Death of vin#1657 :(

I can't offer any suggestions, but do you have pictures?

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:03:03 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

James,

I was unaware of any copies of this magazine being distributed at the SEDOC.
But then I'm not one for paying attention during lectures.  Are they being
mailed out to the SEDOC attendees or were we supposed to pick them up
somewhere?

It was great to finally meet you and be able to put faces to so many of the
names that are familiar to the DML.

Thanks,
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 09:37:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Michael Pike <iqintermedia_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Catching up - Delorean Questions

Hey group... I've been away for awhile, (damn jails
restricting access to yahoo).. just kidding! :)

Had some catching up to do.. have a few questions, and
also a comment.

First - this was probably mentioned years ago, but
incase not, there is a Delorean in the movie "the
Wedding singer" with Adam Sandler.  The rich jerk
drives one outside the nightclub and tells his
girlfriend not to puke in it.

Second - Winter is coming around as we all know.
Means the Delorean (at least mine) goes into
hibernation.

How long is it safe to leave gas in the tank?  Should
I just drain it when it's going to sit for 3 months,
or burn the gas out of it???

the gas in it now is about 3 months old, and I am
getting concerned it may be eating something, or maybe
I should leave the tank empty.  My Delorean has no
fuel problems and I don't want them to start.

I am the second owner of my car, and the guy who had
it before me started it once a month... is that good
enough?

also - any update on the diecast delorean's that were
supposed to be out this month?  Xmas is coming up and
it's time to get me, I mean my wife a present :)

Mike
vin855

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 01:21:00 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_prodigy.net>

Thanks guys for your input! (David, Andy and Bruce) I took your advice and
investigated all of your suggestions. Through the process of elimination,  I
have been able to solve the excessive combustion problem ...it seems to be
related to the CO adjustment. However, if I adjust the setting until the
engine is no longer running hot and I have a nice steady idle at 950 rpms, I
can not re-start the engine without turning up the CO adjustment again!
Doesn't seem to matter if the engine is allowed to cool for a while or the
restart attempt is made right after I shut the engine down. It won't start
until I run CO adjustment up to the point where the engine starts but idles
at 2000 rpm! (The plate is centered, no vacuum leaks and no kinked lines or
fuel delivery problems.) Cold start valve malfunction maybe? Any other
ideas?
Thanks again.
Rustproof

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 06:20:09 -0000
From: nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com

I was wondering if there was any projected price on the door
launchers, and if there was a "for sure" release date yet. Also, are
there any alterations that need to be done so they work effectively?
You know, like over-torquing the doors by a notch?

Nick
VIN 3092

Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:34:16 -0000
From: "Eric" <ericp_at_dml_tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Where is this valve??

Yup - thanks guys -
I found it. Thank God I have long arms!
I agree, this is probably a great time to take the intake off...
maybe replace some coolant hoses too!

Eric

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:

> Eric,
>
> if you have small hands, the thermal control valve is located deep
under the
> air induction manifold and air meter assembly.  you will never be
able to see
> it without removing those parts, you can't even see it from below
the car.
> you will have to take your hand and feel around for it.  it is
really right
> where the picture shows it to be.  there should be three hoses
coming off of
> it right in a row.  i was able to find mine by holding a vacuum
hose and
> following it down until i found where it went down there.  i'm a
pretty small
> guy so i can get my hand under there and i can feel all three hoses
connected
> to the valve.
>
> perhaps some 'mechanic' couldn't find the thermal control valve so
he just
> hooked hoses up to other vacuum hoses?  my advice to you would be
to locate
> the thermal control valve - if you can't, find another owner in the
area who
> is able to get his hand down there to verify its presence.  you
don't have
> any non-stock engine modifications, do you?  if you don't, i would
go ahead
> and get all new hoses and route them the way they should be.
obviously the