From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 719
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 4:56 PM

1. Flat tire what now?
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

2. Re: door launchers
From: "John L. Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>

3. Re: looking for a hood
From: "David Hamblyn" <hammy140_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Overheating...
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

5. Re: d on ebay #595749357 (was a/c panel lites)
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com

6. Re: Re: slightly off-tune? what to do?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Flat tire what now?
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

8. Delorean Fall Foliage Tour
From: turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com

9. Re: Overheating .. surprise..
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: Overheating...
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:05:39 -0400
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>
Subject: Flat tire what now?

Well Darn!
I just had a not so fun night last night. I was comming back from a clinic
where I volunteer and I was on the interstate, and the steering seems to
pull just slightly to the right, nothing big I thinkm and I keep going, then
I here a quiet thud thud thud in the right rear which is getting louder and
louder and shaking the ccar more and more, and of course I have a flat tire.
Since my cell phone is dead, I get the OEM jack out and begin turning the
screw to raise the car up, with a screw driver, as the tool you are suposed
to use was not with the car.  Lucky for me a tow truck guy stopped by, cause
I was never going to raise the car up with that jack.  Her lifted me ip and
put my spare on which  was surprised held air when the car sat on it.  I
hobbled to the next exit where I stopped a a gas sation to notice that the
entire tire has come loose from the spare rim., so I got AAA to tow me back
to college. I had Dunlop tires with about 18,000 miles on them (I am not
really sure how much the previous owner put on them)  BUt anyway I have
decided to invest in 4 new tires, I am currently looking into the MIchilin
XGT h4s and of course the Yokos.  I am more concerned with longevity than
with performance, as this is my daily driver, I probably will put 15,000
niles a year or so on her. Whatda you guys think?  The Yokos I know are good
tires, but they are pretty soft, will they wear quickly?
Thanks
Joe Palatinus
VIN 17167 6808

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:16:16 -0000
From: "John L. Rahn" <john_rahn_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: door launchers

Darryl,

Can your door launcher be activated from the zilla remote lock
keychain or do you have to have your keychain to activate?  Hate to
have too many things in my pocket!

Thanks,

JR
vin # 06136

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:49:01 +0000
From: "David Hamblyn" <hammy140_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: looking for a hood

Yo skipper, last time I was on ebay, there was a hood with lines for sale
for something in the region of $300, but you'd better check quick cos I
dunno how long the auction is for!,
Dave Hamblyn

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:45:21 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Overheating...

Check that the cooling fans are rotating correctly ie; pulling air
into the radiater. Check that the fans are securely attached to the
motor shaft. Check that there is no blockage of the grill in front of
the radiater. I remember someone posted that they had a license plate
there and after removing it the car ran cooler. Upgrade the circuit
breaker for the cooling fans. If you have the older otterstadt switch
installation where it is on top change it to the newer version where
it is on the bottom. If you cut the pipe you only need a new hose. Do
not overfill the header bottle, if you do you will constanly dump
coolant. Add a coolant recovery bottle. If you suspect a combustion
leak there is a test you can have done on the coolant for the presence
of combustion gases. If the car was severly overheated in the past it
is possible you blew out a head gasket but it is't common on the
Delorean unless you really cook it. It is also possible you have a bad
or sticking thermostat, slipping fan belt, kinked hose, and so on. An
engine way out of time can also cause overheats. Start with the ideas
in the order I posted as they get more compex and expensive as you go
down the list. I also recommend Fanzilla but it won't correct an
overheating problem. If you don't know when the coolant was last
changed flush and refill with fresh 50-50 soft water and anti-freeze.
Pressure test for leaks. If you have ANY you will constantly pull air
into the system and the auto bleeder can't keep up. 15 psi for 15 min!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Matthew David" <DMC5524_at_dml_h...> wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> I have had me DeLorean for almost four years now. Within the last 6
to 9
> months I have noticed a particularly irritating habit it has. I
drive it
> alot of the time, as it is one of my daily drivers. However I seldom
take it
> on the highway, I mostly just drive stop ang go around the city.
Anyway,

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:49:22 -0000
From: srubano_at_dml_optonline.com
Subject: Re: d on ebay #595749357 (was a/c panel lites)

Not all '81's had the gas flap. Mine is an '81 and only has the
accent lines in the hood.

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:22:53 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: slightly off-tune? what to do?

In a message dated 9/26/01 7:27:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

Assuming you have an
> automatic check the line pressure adjustment as per G:05:03. It is
> very likely that you have a defective trans filter or low fluid. It is
> very bad on the trans to drive it if it is slipping. I would 1)
> David Teitelbaum

List,

Oops! actually i have a manual transmission.  i should have stated that in
the beginning (but i did mention my clutch...)

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:55:04 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Flat tire what now?

Joe,

I have the Michelin Pilots on my DeLorean, and I love them.  So far I put
around 1200 miles on them.  They show no uneven wear even though I know my
front alignment if off (probably not as toe-in as it should be since my new
front springs settled.)

I would have rather have bought the Yokos, but with all the rumors and
hoop-lah about them being discontinued and by the very fact that they were
not available when I needed them, my next natural choice was the Michelins
that I got on www.tirerack.com  If I were buying tires all over again, I
would do it the same way.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:24:05 -0000
From: turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: Delorean Fall Foliage Tour

The second annual DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour Fall  is one
month away! This should be the largest DeLorean event in the
Northeast this fall!

This year it will be a two day event Saturday & Sunday October 27th
and 28th.

On Saturday the event starts at PJ Gradys in West Sayville N.Y.
(631)589-6224  http://www.pjgrady.com This is guaranteed to be
interesting to all DeLorean Enthusiasts.

We will depart from PJ Gradys and Caravan out to the East End of Long
Island.This will include a driving tour with stops along the way in
the Hamptons and finish at the end of Long Island at the Montauk
Light house and vicinity. We will have dinner in Montauk and Caravan
back to the Hotel in East Hampton for a late check in at East Hampton
House.We have a special hotel rate of $75 + tax but you must tell
them you are part of the DeLorean Fall Tour(631) 324-4300
Fax 631 329-3743 On the web http://www.duneresorts.com/ehhouse.html

Note: The hotel does require a prepaid deposit, they accept credit
      cards but you will have to send them the signed authorization,
      call them for details. SPACE IS LIMITED please book this as
      soon as possible!

Sunday the tour continues and we will take a short ferry ride to
Shelter Island. I am setting up a road rally on Shelter Island that
will not only be fun but will also give us the opportunity to explore
the whole island.  We will depart on a different ferry to the North
Fork of Long Island. The cost of each ferry is approximately $9 each.
We will have a late lunch in Green Port and spend some time exploring
the town. We will conclude with a winery tour and car show at
Pindar Vineyards  (631)734-6200
http://www.pindar.net/Photos/photos.html

This trip will take you through the Long Island you have heard about
but never seen.
With the help of the people From the DeLorean Mid Atlantic I hope to
add a few more events during this Weekend. This will be an event you
don't want to miss!

I should have the registration forms available later this week.

If you think you may want to attend or need more information please
e-mail me privately at turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com
or call me at (631) 680-4927
Knowing approximately how many people are interested will make this
a better event, please let me kow if you are interested in
participating.
If people from New England need ferry information to get to Long
Island I can provide that to you. I will be posting more information
as I finalize some of the details.

Regards,

Michael DeLuca

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:13:59 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating .. surprise..

Joe,

I get the same high temperature readings that you do, but only when I'm
not running my a/c.  Running the a/c causes the radiator fans to cycle with
the compressor, so this causes the engine to run cooler (between the middle
and 2nd tick mark.)  But without the a/c, then the system must rely on the
otterstat.  Then my temp needle will go barely past the center (horizontal)
mark  As with many OEM otterstats, mine is a bit out of range such that it
runs the engine a little too hot.  Someday I'll get around to replacing it,
but since I always run the a/c, the otterstat isn't much of a problem.

Even though I have a new otterstat, seal, hoses, water pump, brass radiator,
and stainless coolant tank, all these things are sitting in boxes because I
don't have the time to put them on.  Until then, all the original hoses &
such are holding up fine (I hope.)

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:33:40 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

In both cases here for each person, I would perform a pressure test
on the radiator cap. Your cooling system appears to be functioning
fine in as it can dispirse heat. But the problem would appear to be a
loss of coolant. When I first got my car, the SS overflow bottle was
installed, but the old cap was kept. And for some reason a vinyl hose
was connected to the overflow side. I always saw mist inside the
hose. And when I alternator belt broke, the car would purge it's
coolant almost immediately. Looking at the old cap, I saw that the
rubber was hard (unable to seat properly), and part of it was torn. I
replaced the cap, no problems since.