From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 736
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2001 2:57 AM

1. Ohio DeLorean event this weekend
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

2. Re: Fw: State Farm Insurance Question
From: franka_at_dml_charter.net

3. Cow Pie Power - reported by formen.ign.com
From: "Michael G. Fischer" <michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com>

4. performance shocks question
From: sk1pper_at_dml_sk1pper.com

5. Re: How to add a fuel pressure monitor
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_prodigy.net>

6. Re: Schematic
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

7. straightening fascias
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

8. RE: fuel pressure monitor
From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>

9. repainting DMC logo on late cars
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: putrid exhaust, imperfect idle
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

11. Re: Fw: State Farm Insurance Question
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Quadrant top plate
From: nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com

13. airbox performance
From: "Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>

14. Headers in the UK?
From: tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com

15. Headers in the UK?
From: tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 14:25:22 -0400
From: Mike Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Ohio DeLorean event this weekend

This coming weekend (October 12-14) the DeLorean Club of Ohio will be
having its fall foliage driving event, this time in Marietta, Ohio.
Marietta is on the Eastern edge of Ohio, right along the Ohio River in
the foothills of the mountains.  The views should be spectacular!

The weekend should include: a tour of Fenton Glass Facotry, a Riverboat
Museum, a Riverboat dinner Cruise, and several opportunities to drive
the rolling countryside of the Ohio River Valley.

We will be staying at the Comfort Inn on 700 Pike Street, in Marietta.
This luxurious and modern hotel is located right on the banks of the
Ohio river.  Call 1-740-374-8190 to make your reservations.  This is a
big weekend for fall foliage tours, and the hotel is filling up fast!

Many thanks to Richard Strecker for coordinating this event.  Please
email Richard  dmc1219(at)one.net to RSVP so that we know to expect you.

-Mike Substelny

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 13:49:32 -0500
From: franka_at_dml_charter.net
Subject: Re: Fw: State Farm Insurance Question

At 11:14 PM 10/8/01 -0400, you wrote:

>The dreaded insurance question with a twist.
>
>I need help from owners who have State Farm Insurance .  I recently moved
>to Florida and

>Any owners with State Farm, especially any Florida residents if you would
>email me information privately it would be greatly appreciated.

You didn't put your email Cecil .... My car's been insured by State Farm
for 18 years ... full coverage .... perhaps they will take on no "new" cars???

My Home Page ... http://www.angelfire.com/il/fotoz
My Viper Pages ... http://www.angelfire.com/il/fotoz/viper.html

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:04:08 -0700
From: "Michael G. Fischer" <michael.fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com>
Subject: Cow Pie Power - reported by formen.ign.com

  Well .. continuing the DeLorean references in the media

 http://formen.ign.com/news/38170.html

  Though the author seems to have confused John DeLorean with Malcolm
Bricklin.

Michael.Fischer_at_dml_dittybase.com
Chief Software Architect
www.dittybase.com

 <<Cow Pie Power - reported by formen.ign.com.url>>

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 22:05:18 -0000
From: sk1pper_at_dml_sk1pper.com
Subject: performance shocks question

i am planning on installing a cockpit adjustable suspension. does
anyone know the name of a cross reference shock i can use for
dimensions.

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:50:29 -0400
From: "Rustproof" <Rustproof_at_dml_prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: How to add a fuel pressure monitor

Sorry the photo attachments didn't catch up with my last posting. I uploaded
the pictures of the engine compartment gages to the group album "Engine
Compartment".
Rustproof

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 20:58:51 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Schematic

In a message dated 10/9/01 1:55:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Could you post the ordering information again.

 Thanks

 Scott Mueller
 DMCNEWS 002981
 DOA 5031 >>

Just e-mail to ZillaDelorean_at_dml_aol.com  and give him your credit card info.
Bob Zilla will then e-mail you the zip file with the schematic in it.  I got
it a few weeks ago and it really does look GREAT!  Definitely worth the
$10.00 for it.

Later,
Nick Pitello
1852
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 22:58:30 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: straightening fascias

Hi,
    I am going to have my fascias painted within the next 2 weeks.  The front
has a large eyebrow which I would like to take care of.  I was thinking about
putting 2x4's on the top and bottom part above the headlights and clamping
them while heating the fascia with a heat gun.  Will this do the job or
should I try something else?  Once I get them straight I will epoxy some flat
bar aluminum/stainless to the top so it doesn't warp again.  Let me know if
anyone has any better ideas.
    Also, I have a large chip out of the black part of the bumper where it
looks like a front license plate holder was ripped out leaving an inch long
gouge.  I thought I remember reading the fascias were supposed to be filled
with some type of glue when damaged and not bondo. any help would be greatly
appreciated.

David

Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:14:52 -0700
From: Darryl Tinnerstet <darryl_at_dml_techline.com>
Subject: RE: fuel pressure monitor

> I myself prefer to let Bob and Darryl and John and you (and all the
> others) slowly go broke helping the rest of us maintain and improve
> our beloved cars. Bless you all!

Touche'.  You know, it just hit me the other day that I beat my brains out
all year doing this just so I can save up enough to make my annual payment
to my ex wife (for "her share" of the business).  I needed a drink after
that.

--
Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 02:56:11 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: repainting DMC logo on late cars

Hey guys,

one project pointed out to me at a car show i was recently in was suggesting
that i repaint the black background of my DeLorean hood badge (i have an 82).
 over time it has faded to being just stains of dark gray, in fact the whole
badge was nearly stripped of paint.  i had noticed it before but never really
thought much of it. so, this week i decided to repaint it.

anyway, this is what i did:
i went to the local hardware store and bought a can of OX RUST Black Enamel
paint which claims it is for painting metal so it doesn't rust.  it was the
best stuff i could find at the store that seemed to be what i wanted.  i took
it home and got some masking tape which i covered basically a good 8 inches
around the entire badge.  i then covered the rest of the right side of my
hood and front fascia with towels in case the spray paint misted out and
landed on the untaped parts of my hood.  i then sprayed the whole badge a
couple of times, and watched the paint basically run off of the badge onto my
tape!  some stayed but it always thinned out and ran off.  the extra towels
were a good thing because the paint did kind of cloud out!  anyway i sprayed
the badge probably 4 times before a good amount began to stick to it.  i let
it sit about 10 minutes, then wiped some of the paint off of the raised
letters and used my fingertip to 'pat' the paint onto the places where it
just ran off of before.  this was somewhat time comsuming but it didn't make
the paint look uneven - it did exactly what i wanted it to do, get paint to
stick where it wasn't before.  i then let this job dry for about 30 minutes,
then i sprayed the whole thing one more time.  this time i was painting on
top of paint and the paint stayed as well as made the whole badge look much
more uniform.  then i let it sit overnight.  today i came out to the car and
checked the job.  looked pretty good but the paint looks pretty thick on the
back ground.  at least it doesn't appear to be uneven.  i pulled back the
tape and was momentarily horrified when i saw black paint had seeped into the
tape and stained my precious hood!! luckily none had gone onto the fascia.
however i quickly realized that this is stainless steel!  so i got some paint
thinner on a rag and wiped most of the paint off with that (it hadn't totally
cured yet). then for the paint that got on the hood all around the very base
of the badge, i used an old toothbrush with paint thinner on it.  that worked
beautifully.  now i had a totally black badge with clean stainless around it.
 i grabbed my scotchbrite pad and carefully scraped the paint off of the
letters of the badge, leaving the background untouched.  once i had that
perfectly shiny with a nice horizontal grain, i resurfaced the whole hood
because the toothbrust and sideways scotchbrite left a couple tiny horizontal
scratches.  i then cleaned the hood with water and a dry towel and admired my
quick work.  not too bad for an impromptu job!  my only complaint is that the
paint looks a little thick on the whole badge.  i would have liked to have
gotten only maybe 2 coats of paint on but like i said, the paint just doesn't
stick well.  but anyway - it's WAY better than it was before!

has anyone else tried repainting their hood badge?  any good tips if i were
to redo it someday?

later,
Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:54:12 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: putrid exhaust, imperfect idle

Get the engine hooked up to an exhaust analyzer and adjust the fuel
mixture screw. Make sure that you plug up the hole that the wrench
goes through during adjustments and when done. The engine is running
WAY too rich and you will cause damage by overheating the converter if
allowed to continue. If you see clouds of white or grey smoke even
after the engine warms up it is a tell-tale sign that coolant is
getting into the combustion chamber and mixing with the exhaust. If
after adjusting the fuel mixture the smoke continues, pressure test
the coolant system and use a combustion leak tester to confirm. This
is most commonly caused by overheating the motor and blowing the head
gasket. In extreme cases the motor will be damaged by hydrostatic lock
as liquids in the combustion chamber are incompressable and will
damage pistons, con rods, and valves. If you are losing coolant and
you don't see any leaks it is comming out the tailpipe.
A.S.E. Master Automobile Technician

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Soma576_at_dml_a... wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> i posted a few weeks ago about this problem but now that i have some
> hard data, it may be easier to determine the problem.
>
> the problem/symptoms are these:  the car starts and runs all the
> time (almost never dies unless i'm screwing around with it) however
> no matter if the engine is warm or cold, the idle isn't very steady.

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:03:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The State Farm question is extremely interesting.
Here's another twist.

When I moved from California to Colorado I had to
change insurance companies because I was insured
through the AAA of So Cal.  In CO I insured my house,
my business and two of my three cars with State Farm.
But, THEY WOULDN'T TOUCH MY DELOREAN.

They did take the liability portion.  As soon as I
found a different company (Harford through AARP - non
cancellable for life) I moved EVERYTHING over.  BTW,
that was 12 years ago so the State Farm issue is not a
new one.

Dick Ryan

http://personals.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:59:21 -0000
From: nickbrom_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Quadrant top plate

Hello all,

On my car (VIN 3092) the quadrant top plate was in pieces when I
purchased the car. This part is no longer available from any of the
vendors. Has anyone ever had any luck fabricating a new one? The
plastic one was pretty flimsy, maybe one made of stainless steel
would be a nice addition.

Anyone willing to take this bull by the horns? I don't have the
slightest idea how to get a project like a stainless steel quad plate
underway. I'm not even sure any shop in my medium sized city would
have the resources to do this.

Thoughts on a replacement, plastic or stainless?

Nick

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:21:34 +0200
From: "Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu>
Subject: airbox performance

I see that alot of you are very skeptical about my airbox's performance gains over the original. I sugest you wait a couple of weeks until my first buyers tell you all about it before you speculate too much. Also, be care full about using foam and screens etc. for filters. They will still allow fine dust to enter, I would rather see you fit a K&N filter with a foam gasket then do this.

Sincerely, Casey at putsch.1_at_dml_osu.edu

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:05:08 -0000
From: tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com
Subject: Headers in the UK?

[Email address format modified by moderator to allow posting.]

Sorry, please email me at tmasterlc(at)juno.com

Ron

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:02:11 -0000
From: tmasterlc_at_dml_msn.com

Dear List
Im hoping to find a member with a "D" in or close to London that
could stop by a local header manufacturer in London and see if the
headers they have will indeed fit the Delorean.  Please email me
privately for the details.

Thanks
Ron & Cheryl

BK2-FTR