From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 742
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 2:49 PM

1. MOMO Steering Wheel
From: dclark_at_dml_3d2u.com

2. engine swaps
From: monkeydemond_at_dml_aol.com

3. DAILY DRIVER DMC
From: Adam Bucherati <adamb35_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. idle adjustment screws...?
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: The DOA
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

6. RE: engine compartment light
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

7. Re: DAILY DRIVER DMC
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

8. RE: State Farm & collecting insurance
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

9. Re: engine swaps
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

10. RE: DAILY DRIVER DMC
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

11. Re: State Farm Insurance
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

12. Water hose by A/C
From: Doug Hornsby <govenorofvirginia_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: engine swaps
From: patrickdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com

14. Misc
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: idle adjustment screws...?
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

16. Re: DAILY DRIVER DMC
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

17. Re: idle adjustment screws...?
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

18. BTTF Pinball machines
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

19. V12 Northstar
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

20. Re: Water hose by A/C
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

21. Front License Plate
From: yoogoo.kang_at_dml_mail.tju.edu

22. Recall of Diehard Security battery
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

23. Re: Re: DAILY DRIVER DMC
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

24. RE: GM V12
From: "Blake Grover" <blakeistheman_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: idle adjustment screws...?
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

26. Re: Front License Plate
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 03:47:17 -0000
From: dclark_at_dml_3d2u.com
Subject: MOMO Steering Wheel

Hello all,
I am trying to fit an aftermarket MOMO steering wheel into my D.
Does anyone have information on exactly what steering column is in
the car or what adapter can be used for a MOMO steering wheel?

Any information would be greatly appreciated

thanks
derric

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:13:05 EDT
From: monkeydemond_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: engine swaps

Hi, can a chevy 350 fit in a delo? the stock PRV engine doesn't have enought
power for me(i want to drag race). is it possible? and what would it take?

Thanks

Tom
monkeydemond_at_dml_aol.com

Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:33:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Adam Bucherati <adamb35_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DAILY DRIVER DMC

I earn (NET) about $900-950 a month.  I don't have to
pay rent or anything, just gas and college tuition.  I
need to know if a DeLorean is a good investment as a
daily driver.  I'll will (if I buy the car) be paying
about $350 a month, plus $110 on insurance, if I buy a
$14000 DMC.  I would appreciate some unbiased input
about the reliabilty of these cars, from a Delorean
owner.  Would this be a good investment for me?
Thanks, Adam

http://personals.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 02:54:54 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: idle adjustment screws...?

Hey all,

i just read on a website that the DeLorean engine doesn't use the three brass
idle screws on top of the air induction manifold right next to the
microswitch.  when my car wouldn't start due earlier this year i watched the
mechanic tweaking these three screws.  i don't know if he used them to get it
to run, but i remember watching him play with them while trying to get it to
idle correctly.  he eventually figured out the problem was the brass tube
from the idle speed motor wasn't lined up well giving me a huge vacuum leak,
and after some CO tweaking (i had played with the CO myself before that) he
got it running again, and it's been ok since, with the exception of a rough
idle sometimes.

what would happen if someone did play with these screws on a healthy DMC
motor?  would it hurt anything if i checked them and screwed them down like
they should be in the DeLorean application?  or should i just leave 'em be?

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:27:10 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com
Subject: Re: The DOA

I just recieved a copy of "deloreans" in the mail today. Very good
magazine so far. The tech write up for the door handles was pretty
much right on. I had not thought of the electrical tape idea
mentioned in the article. That definately would have saved me from a
few cuts and "choice words" when working inside the doors ;>) Overall
details and instructions were very clear.

Overall writing is an easy read, and has a pleasant tone to it. Even
on a couple of articles that are written by someone, about even
themsleves, I didn't really detect any egotistical tones or anything
like that. When there was a write up either directly about someone,
or mentioned some one in particular, I wasn't bombarded with a mini-
resume about them. The goal of the arictles seemed to be about
getting information across. It didn't become a tribute to the writer,
or a person in the story. An ongoing theme seems to be feedback.

Along these lines is the story about Eurofest. Very 'to the point' in
as it had DeLorean related material. It didn't go on about
about 'What we ate for dinner', or unrealted details about side
excursions that were not DeLorean related. Very nice, informative
read.

The layout is very nice, and quite professional. Of course there are
ads from DMC Houston, but they are not overbearing. In fact, I found
most of them to be informative! Another thing definately has to be
the photos, and graphics. I have to give kudos, because this is the
first time I've ever seen any kind of printed material about the
DeLorean that does NOT contain 20 year old clip-art! It gives a
modern look and feel to the marquee.

With that said, I'm putting in for my subscription as well!

(although I'm still scratching my head over that "Yahoo Maps"
article...)

p.s. Is the editor's name really Jake Elwood? Or is that a pun?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_c...> wrote:
<SNIP>
I'm very
> pleased that DMC Houston is putting out a quarterly putting their
spin
> on things.  I'm signed up, I thought it was a major coup to have the
> first tech article by Knut.
>
> I must admit I'm a nuts and bolts type, pictures of gatherings
don't do
> a lot for me, particularly if all the doors are raised in the air.
My

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 06:42:18 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: engine compartment light

Andy,
If you look at the schematic, you will see that the switch is on the
Grounded side of the bulb.
This car is wired so that the switches are on the grounded side of the load.
Drives me crazy when I am trying to trouble shoot.

If you have not bought the updated schematic that Bob Zilla is selling, you
are missing out on one fine piece of work.  Contact Bob at  zilladelorean
(at) aol.com
The file costs $10 and all proceeds are being donated.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:43:15 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: DAILY DRIVER DMC

THE thrill factor alone is worth the money.  If you buy a properly
maintained Delorean.  It can be used as a reliable daily driver.

Get one.

Joseph

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 06:59:34 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: State Farm & collecting insurance

I have State Farm and have had one claim.  Several years ago, my house was
broken in to.  The thieves were playing in my car while it was parked in the
garage.  The leather on the drivers seat had a scratch in it and the center
arm rest had a tear in it.  State Farm paid for two sets of leather, one for
each seat (so they would match) and replaced the arm rest.  They also gave
me what a shop would charge to install the parts.  They sent there exotic
cars adjustor and he classified my car as Show Quality.  Since I drive the
car only occasionally, State Farms risk is low.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:17:07 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: engine swaps

No.  the chevy V-8 is too big and the cast iron block is too heavy.

The 4.6 Rover aluminum V-8 is about the same weight(20 lb less) as the stock delorean
engine and fits the engine bay. IT almost double the HP of the car and you know it. !!!

BoB Brandys

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:44:00 -0400
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

Hey Adam, I use my Delorean as a daily driver to school.  It works fine.
But you have to realize that the car is 20 years old and it will need some
work from time to time.

Willie

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:57:06 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: State Farm Insurance

In a message dated 10/12/01 8:54:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net writes:

> I recently requested State Farm quote on a condo in Florida. I was
> advised they are taking no new clients for car or property coverage.
> Strange corporate policy in my mind.

My D is insured by them in NJ, as well as my other vehicles and house.
They're dropping ALL auto coverge in NJ in the near future, I've already been
informed by letter.  :(

Wayne

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:48:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Doug Hornsby <govenorofvirginia_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Water hose by A/C

I have a squeak, the belt that goes to the AC passes
under the hose from the top of the engine and has worn
a small hole.  Q: can I find this hose locally or
should I call PJ Grady's Q2: the water has drained on
the idler pulley and it seems frozen now, what is best
way to free it up... or go w/o AC for a while.

http://personals.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:00:41 -0000
From: patrickdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com

  1/4 mile racing?   Sorry but I think you bought the wrong car
unless serious mods are done to the entire car.

Patrick
1040

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:55:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Misc

For those of you who are concerned about the
disappearance of the Yokohama AVS Intermediates in the
sizes our cars require, contact www.tirerack.com.  I
just order a set and they confirmed shipping from NV
yesterday.

Also, I read where GM has shown the "next" Northstar
engine.  It is a V-12 but takes up NO MORE space than
the V-8 (a requirement placed upon the engineers by
the brass).  Awesome numbers.  I'm not suggesting it,
but I wonder who will be the first to contemplate
putting that mother in a D!

Dick Ryan

http://personals.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:33:12 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: idle adjustment screws...?

Andy, The three screws on the manifold should be screwed down all the way
gently. The idle speed motor and it's circuit will do the work of adjusting
air at idle. The rubber gaskets,o rings and hoses are very important that
they are all secure for a proper Idle and running.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:28:17 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

The problem is you are buying a 20+ year old car! It is very important
when you pick a car to buy it is in "good" condition. You must also
consider that you will spend more money on it to fix it up mainly
because of it's age and there are not a lot of places to take it to so
unless you are handy and have the time whenever you have a problem it
will take more time to fix then an "ordinary" car. Whenever you need a
part you will have to allow time to get it, not being able to go to
your nearby auto parts store for most of the parts you need. I also
consider the car dangerous as a daily driver. Here in New Jersey with
so many SUV's on the road all you see when you are alongside them are
the lugnuts. THEY DON'T EVEN SEE YOU! I cannot recomend a Delorean for
a young driver, it will cost more than anything else to run and
doesn't have airbags. I know I may get flamed for this heretical view
of our favorite car but that is reality. Another problem is it isn't
the greatest car to drive in the wintertime, I have been told (I have
no first-hand knowledge of this) that in the snow the car doesn't
perform well at all. Then again you don't see too many Corvettes out
in the snow either! To sum up, if consistant reliability, cost,
safety, inconvienience and winters aren't a problem go for it.
 If you spend enough time and money "up front" you can overcome the
reliability issues by replacing the most likely old parts that will
fail on you. By upgrading the electrical system and rebuilding the
cooling system the car can become very reliable. But you still have
the other issues to overcome. Get some insurance quotes and make your
choices. Without knowing what State you are in I am guessing you are
not budgeting enough for insurance. At your age in New Jersey for a
daily driver it would be closer to $250 a month.

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:41:51 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

If the idle motor and associated systems are correctly set up the car
won't run good unless the brass screws are LIGHTLY seated closed. If
they are not then the car is not set up right. Check to see if they
aren't seated keeping track of how much you are turning them so you
can put them back if necessary. Make sure that the idle micro is
properly adjusted and actually working, use a meter to test it while
moving the gas pedal. On letting up and returning to idle the micro
should have continuity. You should also notice a change in the engine
when you click the micro as it's running. To get the motor to run
right on the idle motor you cannot have any vacuum leaks. Many
mechanics unfamiliar with the Bosch system will try to adjust out a
rough idle by twiddling anything they can adjust and those 3 brass
screws look so easy to turn! It is a lot harder to find and fix the
vacuum leaks but the idle motor can't modulate the idle with them. If
you have a hissing mode switch start there but you must inspect every
vacuum hose, removing them if you have to, to see if they are brittle,
cracked, disconnected etc.

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:50:24 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: BTTF Pinball machines

I have found another BTTF pinball machine. If anyone on the list is
interested E-mail me offlist or see me at the Fall Tour. These
machines although not too expensive are hard to find, especially in
good condition. I have not seen the second machine yet but the one I
will be bringing to the Fall Tour on Saturday is in excellant
condition except for some minor damage to the outside of the case and
backboard on the sides. It has been "shopped" with all new rubber,
bulbs, cleaned and polished, with all functions working, extra bulbs
and manual. It will be set up on free play for all to enjoy for the
day.

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:57:51 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: V12 Northstar

Where did you see details on the V-12 Northstar?

If you put 12 smaller pistons in the same area as 8 larger pistons, the
overall displacement will be lower..  While the V-12 may have a smoother
ride, I don't see how it would be a performance improvement.

Id venture to guess this is just a marketing tool for GM.

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:58:33 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Water hose by A/C

Order a new hose, and the two bearings and an "o" ring. The "D"
venders know what you will need. In the future when you are checking
the oil in the motor run your hand around the hose to make sure the
belt isn't cutting into the hose. Bend the bracket that holds the hose
(if it is still there) a little to keep it away from the belt. If you
have hoses over 10 years old just replace them all and the belts too.
You must replace the bearings even if you don't run the A/C as the
belt is always moving. The bearings are sealed so there is no way to
"free them up".

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:46:28 -0000
From: yoogoo.kang_at_dml_mail.tju.edu
Subject: Front License Plate

I moved to New Jersey that requires front and back license plates.
Is there any way to place the front license plate without making
holes on the front bumper?  Your advice is appreciated.
YG Kang

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:22:47 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Recall of Diehard Security battery

Hello All,

   I bought a Sears Diehard Security battery in the spring, and have been
quite pleased with its performance and features.  I just received a letter
from Sears that they are recalling the batteries due to a "high return
rate..customers are not satisfied".  The customers have complained about
"ease of operation of anti-theft and power saver features".  These features
are quite simple, once you read and understand the directions.  The letter
continues: "Some customers have reported engine stalls." I have not
experienced any problems with the battery whatsoever.  They are not stating
any safety issues at all, just customer dissatisfaction.

The letter is offering all owners to bring your car back to Sears for a free
installation of a Diehard Gold battery, plus the difference in price, and a
new warranty.

I think I'm leaning towards keeping the battery - on one hand, I enjoy
having this battery in the car, for both the added security and
battery-saver aspects.  Then again, I don't want the car to stall at an
inopportune time.

Here are some numbers if you have questions: Sears Auto Center:
800-526-3682, NTB: 800-247-9605.

-Hank  #1619

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:00:30 EDT
From: senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Re: DAILY DRIVER DMC

    The DeLorean or any car is a poor investment while in college. You should
focus more on your courses, than the DeLorean. Wait until you've graduated
and buy a house, then buy a DeLorean.
    I drove a DeLorean everyday while I was attending University. The car
needed a lot of time and maintenance, however if you have the
resources...apply it towards your education, and buy a very nice example when
you graduate.
    As for my experience, the car was great. It went everywhere, in snow,
ice, rain, and warm sunny days. They do handle well in the snow as I had a
luggage rack w/ ski adapter. My girlfriend at the time, and I drove it every
weekend skiing.
    One caveat...how confident of a driver are you? You have to be in
constant control of the car and take evasive action from cell phone talking
SUV drivers who have no clue how to drive...especially in good weather.
    You will get some great compliments & thumbs up (especially from your
campus sorority) , as well as, some jealous people who will give you smart
remarks and the finger.

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 18:24:02 -0000
From: "Blake Grover" <blakeistheman_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: GM V12

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
Please consider this thread closed until we have a
real engine block to wedge into a DeLorean...
*****

I saw this article too. It was in MotorTrend this month.  They were
talking about the 100th aniversy cadilac car.  They said they aren't
doing it for sure, but they said GM had a V12 that would put out 750
horsepower, and while cruising it would shut off half of the engine
so it would be only running a straight 6 cylinder.  It souds really
cool, I'm not sure if I saw if it was the same size as a V8, but if
they use this engine it will be a mid-engine cadilac with only a 2
seater.  The doors fold out to the front like a Lamborgini.

But thats just my 2 cents
Blake

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:34:56 -0400
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

I put several thousand miles on my DeLorean before I realized that someone
had backed out two of the idle adjustment screws pretty far.  I just lightly
re-seated them using my fingers.  It changed nothing.  My car idles at 950
RPM which is on the high end of the allowable range, but runs great.

While you are looking around in there getting familiar with the engine,
check to see that all of your spark plug boots are seated properly.  Two on
my car were loose, but it didn't seem to make a big difference.

I keep finding little weird things that a previous owner was responsible
for.  For example, I had a CD jewel case wedged between the windshield drain
and the fuel pump cover to keep water out of the tank.  I eventually got a
new fuel tank boot cover for it.  Supposedly years ago the supply ran out
and people had to improvise.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:02:46 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Front License Plate

Welcome to New Jersey! The Delorean venders sell a stainless steel
bracket that fastens to existing screws to hold the front plate. There
is no need to make holes in the bumper. If you come to the Fall Tour I
am sure you will see examples of the bracket.