From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 748
Date: Sunday, October 21, 2001 3:23 AM

1. deloreans magazine
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

2. Re: towing a delorean
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

3. clunk diagnostics
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

4. Re:[ETDOC] November 3-4 meet in Gatlinburg, TN
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

5. Re: towing a delorean
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: My Views on The Deloreans Magazine
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Clutch Problem (with D)
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

8. deloreans magazine
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

9. Re: deloreans magazine
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>

10. Re: deloreans magazine
From: "at88mph" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

11. L_at_dml__at_dml_king for FRONT fascia
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

12. Was Re: towing a delorean Now Hop-Ins
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:14:01 +0000
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: deloreans magazine

Yeesh, lets be fair!  It's only the first issue, it's thin but it's also
free.  You can subscribe for the first year for $29 while they build
content and direction.  The DOA World magazine is $60 for 4 issues.

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:30:31 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: towing a delorean

OK, I just want to say this because I think a lot of people are taking this
too lightly. If you are going to tow your car backwards on a trailer, then
you absolutely MUST tie the louvres down. I said before that I have seen cars
without their louvres because of shipping backwards, so I looked back in the
archives and found a quote from the man who owns such a car. We went through
this very same topic towards the first of the year and Ed Garbade reported
his experience. This is his quote-

"Just make sure you get a good shipper.  The shipper I used decided I didn't
need the louvers and broke the engine cover in 3 places.  The louvers also
bent the roof  (2 places), hood, and passenger windshield column upon exiting
the vehicle.  The shipper claims it is not their responsibility since my
equipment (engine cover latch) failed.Ed10541"

This is just one example of how people have lost their louvres. I have seen
this car and the damage was exactly as described, 1 bent up T panel, dent in
hood and A pillar. All because the engine latch failed. My father, who
happened to accompany me to the show, advised Ed on his legal options, but I
would guess that not much came of any suits.

I can understand how it would help the tongue weight issue to tow the car
backwards. Just make sure those louvres are tied down. There is no need to
tempt fate. And as an aside, if you will look in the Owners Manual that came
with the car, it states- "Towing should be carried out using a FLAT BED
(their caps) towing vehicle."

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527

Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:36:42 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: clunk diagnostics

I trying to determine the source of my clunk.
On the trailing arms, which bolt are more likely to loosen-- front end of
the arm or rear?
I read that they need to be torqued with weight on the wheels, but it
doesn't look easy to do that. Is that a true statement?

when I slide underneath I can simulate a lighter clunk by sliding the axle
on either side. That combined with the fact that the clunk alternates with
different corners and does not repeat with like corners makes me think that
I've still got the "rear axle clunk syndrome."

According to past messages and information gleaned from a bad copy of a DW,
I need to lube the outboard drive shaft on the rear axle. The pictures I had
to go off of were not that high of quality. Those early DOA DW issues were
not high grade; add to it that this looks like a copy of a copy, and I'm a
little lost back there... and I'm not getting this fixed fast. Does anyone
have good looking pictures of where exactly I should be "lubricating the
inside of the outboard drive shaft"?

---------
I read this somewhere:
"most experts agree that the end of the world will come by accident, most
likely. That's where we come in; we're Computer Experts, we make accidents."

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:10:21 EDT
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re:[ETDOC] November 3-4 meet in Gatlinburg, TN

Aaron,

       Just wanted to let you know that I am going to be attending. I have a
couple of new things to show off on my bright red D. Anyone who is
considering attending this event should definately show up. Gatlinburg is
AWESOME this time of year, it is the color season. From what I understand, we
are going to be headquartered at the Park Vista hotel, which is the nicest
hotel in Gatlinburg for a great rate. They are going to have a roped off area
in the lot for our cars. ETDOC meets have been nothing but fun in the past,
the last one in Asheville at Biltmore was outstanding. We had 7-10 D's there,
the list keeps growing. This one is going to surpass that event. I hope to
see a lot of list and SEDOC members there.

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 01:37:17 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

Fellow DMCer's,
Having towed both ways on a trailer (car facing front and backwards), I must
say that towing it facing forward in my situation was best.. It took about 45
min. of driving and having slight fishtailing. Each time I would stop undo
tie down straps and move the car forward on the trailer. After a few tries I
found the "sweet spot" on my trailer. Later with the help of Scott M. we
marked the spot with white paint. Now it is easy to load an unload the D and
always get the correct weight distribution. The key to this is getting the
weight on the trailer's rear axle. I also recommend that you cross the tie
down straps in both the front and the rear. I use the hooks (tie down areas)
for this and have never had a problem
A side story with towing a D. In 1998 Scott M. invited a few of us D owners
down to Mobile for a show. He had arranged for a separate class for the
Delores. I towed mine down (due to family coming along). Because the show was
Oct. 31 I had the Crypt Keeper life size mannequin sitting in the drivers
seat of the D the entire trip down. As anyone who has towed a D knows, you
get a lot of cars coming up real slow beside you checking out the car. In
this case I would watch the side mirror. The person would pull up checking
out the car, see Crypt Keeper and about drive off the road. Needless to say
got a lot of "thumbs up" the entire trip. During the show I left Crypt K. in
the drivers seat so I had no problem with hop ins.
Bruce Battles
Vin# 06569

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 06:46:49 EDT
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: My Views on The Deloreans Magazine

It is basically an advertisment piece or news letter and I have seen news
letter much thicker than that.  My CPA sends news letter out every quarter to
keep in touch with customers and hopefully customers will remember him in
April (tax time) and so does the realator who sold me the house.  Many other
professionals use news letter as a marketing tool to keep in touch with their
customers and keep them up to date on the latest news and developments in
their field.  I view the so call DeLoreans magazine in the same light as news
letter and see no reason for a subscription,  especially a $36 one.
I am saving my premier issue along with my other DeLorean collectibles.
Just my 2 cents.
Bill K

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:45:52 -0000
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Problem (with D)

Jim, It sounds like the throw out bearing or it may be the pilot
bearing. It may have caught up with you. Most of the time you can
also feel the throw out bearing with your foot. Take your shoe off
and see if you can feel the bearing grinding when you push in on the
clutch. ??? How many miles on the car. The clutch system doesn't last
forever, and the endurance of it is based on how hard you drive the
car and if you ride the clutch. See parts on web site under drive
train.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/drivetrain.shtml

 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Jim Reeve" <ultra_at_dml_i...> wrote:
> Last night, I was visiting a friend up at a college about an hour
> from where I lived.  It was chilly, but not cold (in the 40s).
When

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:37:40 -0400
From: Watkins Family <watbmv_at_dml_megalink.net>

Yes, it's a smaller page-wise but remember this is a premier magazine.
Have you ever seen the "1st" issue of Delorean World?  It's far from
what it is now.

DMC Houston has made an awesome attempt at something new.  I'm sure it
will evolve as most things do from feedback from people who buy it.
Please, if you have complaints, questions, suggestions etc why not
direct them right to Stephen himself?  In the pages of this issue he
asks for your input.
Your opinion that it's lacking in content is a perfect example of type
of feedback that he is looking for.   Please don't be offended,  but I
feel that since Stephen is asking for your input it is not appropriate
to use the list to express your dis-satisfaction with this first
issue.   Drop him an e-mail, pick up the phone.

Also remember that it takes time, effort, creativity and content to
"fill" a magazine.  Give DMC Houston a chance.  Be patient, from the
looks of this is a great start for those of us not in the mainstream to
do some of our own work as well as info on new products etc.

Thanks DMC Houston for this effort!!!

Tom Watkins
#005732   MT

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:28:12 -0700
From: "Joe Thome" <joethome_at_dml_jps.net>
Subject: Re: deloreans magazine

I agree with Tom Watkins' thoughts on the deloreans magazine being an
awesome effort by DMC Houston to do something good for the DeLorean car
owners. He expressed my views eloquently. While I saw no shortfall in this
first issue of deloreans, I'm sure succeeding issues will be even better. It
takes time and it takes support to nourish some new like this. And it's not
like news stands are overflowing with DeLorean magazines. I applaud the
effort and am supporting DMC Houston with a subscription.

Joe Thome

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:28:26 -0500
From: "at88mph" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

I'm guessing this thread is going to get killed soon, and I don't usually
post opinions on things but on this magazine I am.  I, for one, like the
magazine.  Like it has been stated before, its just the very first issue.
Give it some time and besides, the first issue was free.  Its not like a
DeLorean is like Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Chevrolet for that matter! There
is only one model!  I mean, how much can you really cover about one
car/model???  The tech artices are very well documented and informational
and I believe this is the biggest advantage to the magazine in the fact that
it will cover more technical issues than "DeLorean World".  If for some
reason you don't like the magazine, just don't subscribe, but don't bash it!
We don't have very many alternatives and choices dealing with the DeLorean
and I applaud Stephen & DMC Houston for their work in offering this magazine
to the DMC community.

Keep up the good work!

Duke
www.geocities.com/at88mph_1999

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:10:44 EDT
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: L_at_dml__at_dml_king for FRONT fascia

Hello List,
    I am going to have my fascia painted by a local restoration shop soon.
The only thing is that my front bumper has long thin crack under the
headlight along with a hole from a fog light or something.  Rather than to
chance having it crack again after it is painted I thought I might look for
another one.  What makes me mad is that I had an extra fascia but sold it on
ebay a year ago for cheap:(  If anyone has one at a reasonable price please
let me know.  eyebrows above the headlights are fine and the paint can be in
bad shape but no cuts or tears.  e-mail me privately

Thanks List
David

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 04:16:54 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Was Re: towing a delorean Now Hop-Ins

To keep people from "hopping in" I keep Einstein on the driver's seat.
Often I have had small children come up to him thinking he was real. I
even had one grab him in a bear hug and start waking off with him! The
parents had him return it, I would not have wanted to try to take it
away from him!!!! At some car shows and cruise nights when people walk
past with their dogs the dog gets startled for a moment when it sees
Einnie, I guess they are surprised by a dog with no smell. On the
subject of foward or backward on the trailer it all comes down to
tongue weight. If you can get the car far enough foward ahead of the
trailer's wheels it can be loaded facing foward. YOU MUST HAVE THE
PROPER TONGUE WEIGHT TO SAFELY TOW A TRAILER. Crossing the straps is
also important as the car could slide sideways in the trailer. Even if
it doesn't hit the sides it could be very difficult to unload
especially if it is skewed. I don't use the parking brake and when
towing a manual trans car I leave it in neutral. You cannot count on
the brakes to keep it from moving, only the straps will hold it. Check
the anchors on the trailer, I have seen anchor rings that were only
attached to the floor, not a structural member. They should be
directly attached to a structural element of the trailer so as to
transfer loads directly to  the trailer frame. Marking the "right
spot" is a great idea so as to be able to quickly load the car into
the best position. When first loading a car after driving about 25-50
miles I always stop and inspect the tie-downs and position and I find
I always can get another click or 2 on the rachets.