From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 761
Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 4:36 AM

1. Re: Sudden shifting trouble
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>

2. Re: Fuel Injection Modifications
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

3. Re: still the stupid clunk
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

4. RE: Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!)
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

5. RE: Foliage Tour update
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

6. The MODEL
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

7. Wanted: Cover/Zilla Parts
From: pbmain_at_dml_mindspring.com

8. Re: Sudden shifting trouble
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

9. Fall Foliage Tour...
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. DeLorean Owners of South and East Texas
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>

11. Re: Blue exhaust
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!)
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com

13. Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!)
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

14. DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour
From: turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com

15. Drivers side tortion bar availibility?
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. New Delorean Model Pics
From: P12C16_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Re: Middle Eastern DeLoreans?
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com

18. Fwd: dmc car show
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 18:55:49 -0800
From: "Payne" <bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com>
Subject: Re: Sudden shifting trouble

I ordered a new master cylinder and I'll be getting it installed as soon as
I can.  No one in my town wants to touch it, but I know of a mechanic in a
neighboring town that has some experience on another owners car.  I just
hope this cures my problem.  I don't want to break anything, so I've been
overly gentle during shifts.  It hasn't ground, so hopefully my transmission
is in good health.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Brandon J. Payne
#2975 (my baby)

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 03:16:37 -0000
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Fuel Injection Modifications

Just put 5 pictures in the Photo section.
Jim

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 03:02:57 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: still the stupid clunk

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_m...> wrote:
> > My car does the same thing.  I saw somewhere on the DML that
there is a
> ring
> > that can be screwed in further to tighten this up.  I'd like to
learn more
> > before I experiment with it.
>
> I would like to know more about this too. I'd be willing to
experiment with
> it. Does anyone have an specs on this?

It's in the manual. Pages F:04:01 and F:06:03. The ring you are
talking about is bearing preload adjustment for the ring gear
bearings. The adjustment is properly made with the transmission
partially disassembled. Not something to screw around with unless you
have lots of spare money around. Set wrong the ring and pinion and/or
carrier bearings won't last long. Since the pinion gear is part of
the transmission lower mainshaft, messing it up generally buys you a
new transmission. If there is really something wrong here there are
other problems (bearings).

I HAVE heard of the splines on the drive flanges going bad, but that
should cause a noticable wobbling at the flange. This is also a
catastrophic problem since the mating splines are part of the ring
gear assembly.

I'd bet a LOT that this is not the source of your clunking noises,
unless of course someone else has already been in there, then all
bets are off. Your CV joints sound suspicious to me, it is normal for
that side-to-side motion but they should be absolutely quiet.

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:20:02 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!)

One downside to installing the spring inside the fuel pump pickup hose is
the fact that the spring may rust.  Small particles of rust will damage the
fuel pump.  The fuel filter should catch the rust particles before they make
it to the engine or fuel distributor.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:02:18 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: Foliage Tour update

a BIG THANKS to Mike, Laurie, Rob and Debbie for a EXCELLENT weekend in
eastern long island.

Too bad the Bricklin guy won the road rally..   I still think he had a
few signs in his trunk!

What time is it Dan?

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:30:10 +0800
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>
Subject: The MODEL

Hi DMLers,

Am I the first?
Just been to the local model shop here in Hong Kong and picked up three of the 'SunStar' models ... can I claim vin #s 00501, 502, & 503 !?! They are made across the Border in China, so I guess haven't far to travel.

As you Yanks would say they are "Aaawsome" ... the detail on them is incredible, the proportions are perfect, the s/s looks and feels like the real thing, the grey interior is exactly like my vin # 06425, the steering wheel moves the wheels (how am I going to convert one of these to right-hand-drive to match my vin # 00780), every detail is there. I have a dozen different DeLorean/BTTF models here and this is by far the most outstanding ... the German Club's model is good, but this one is GREAT!

Those who have ordered these models are in for a real pleasant surprise.

Cheers,            IAN (Hong Kong)

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:37:35 -0000
From: pbmain_at_dml_mindspring.com
Subject: Wanted: Cover/Zilla Parts

Thought I'd ask to see if any of this stuff was sitting around your
garages before I started ordering some stuff... I'm looking for:

-Tankzilla/Lockzilla...
-Fitted car cover
-Parts to fit aftermarket radio (with no hacking away required)
-Original owners manual
-Louver brace
-Factory Bulletins

If you have something, please drop me a note with details/price.
thanks!
Pete
pbweb_at_dml_mindspring.com

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:34:45 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 10/29/01 9:34:04 AM Central Standard Time,
bpayne_at_dml_macnet.com writes:

> I ordered a new master cylinder and I'll be getting it installed as soon as
> I can.  No one in my town wants to touch it, but I know of a mechanic in a
> neighboring town that has some experience on another owners car.  I just
> hope this cures my problem.  I don't want to break anything, so I've been
> overly gentle during shifts.  It hasn't ground, so hopefully my transmission
> is in good health.

Brandon,

the clutch master cylinder is a pretty easy job that you can do yourself if
you don't really want to spend the money to have someone else do it!

simple - remove both access panels inside the passenger compartment on the
driver's side.  remove left front wheel.  unscrew metal pipe from the clutch
master on the top passenger side of it.  then just get in there with a couple
of wrenches and take the two big nuts off of the bolts that hold it into the
''firewall'.  you may need someone else to get a wrench on the bolts on the
inside sideways to keep them from turning as you turn the nut.  that's the
hardest part of this job... once the nuts are off, put your new clutch master
in, put the nuts on, put the metal line back on, then bleed the cluch system,
and you are good to go!!!!!  should take about 2 hours at the most.

did you get the rebuilt and upgraded master cylinder from Grady with the
stainless steel piston and teflon?

if you have any other questions about replacement, shoot me an email.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:44:45 -0500
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fall Foliage Tour...

As usual, Mike DeLuca did a kick ass job at running the tour this past weekend. And Rob Grady did a great job at leading us through the tour and hosting the beginning event at his shop. It was great seeing everyone again, as well as meeting new people!

For you unfortunate ones who missed it, we not only toured the beautiful countryside, but we did a Road Rally. It was my first one. It was frustrating, but fun and challenging! Mike really must've gone nuts setting this one up! The area was beautiful and the tour was great. Great job Mike!

Thanks go to Ken Koncelik for helping me install the new stainless accent pieces that PJ Grady is now selling. I got the "full length" (seamless) door sill lettering kit and I didn't initially install it correctly (you can see the kit I'm talking about at: http://www.pjgrady.com/stainlessmain.asp) My mistake was to not THOROUGHLY clean the plastic door sill. It needs to be super clean folks or the tape won't stick properly. The reason? Silicone. We apply silicone products to our cars to make the black parts shiny. No tape will stick to it, so you have to scrub it out thoroughly with the proper cleaning agents. Now that it's done properly, it looks sweet!!!!!

I had a great time this weekend. Hope to do it again next year!!!

---Dan

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:47:37 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: DeLorean Owners of South and East Texas

DeLorean owners and enthusiasts of South and East Texas are invited and
encouraged to join us at a preliminary meeting to gauge interest in the
formation of a regional club.

Date: November 1, 2001 (Thursday)

Time: 7:30pm

Location: Fire and Ice Restaurant, 2801 Kirby Drive, Houston 713-522-4500

Maps and a re-hash of this info can be found here: http://delorean.com/dot/

Houston was the center of events for the former DOA Chapter 9, and there are
an even larger number of cars in the area now than there was when the old
Chapter 9 was active. We at DeLorean Motor Company have agreed, as in the
past, to assist in any way we can.

If you are interested in meeting with us to map out the future of this
group, please contact Alberto Bertolin by phone or email (below) - thank
you!

Alberto Bertolin
alberto_bertolin(at)delorean.com
281/568-6028

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:09:19 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Blue exhaust

another thing to check is whether or not you use any chrome exhaust tip
polish.  i have a creme i use to polish my tips with and if you accidently
get any on the inside of the tip, it will burn off - the creme is blue so you
have blue exhaust for a few minutes!

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:11:31 -0000
From: dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com
Subject: Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!)

Hi,

My pump was noisy too and I installed a new stainless pickup hose to
irradiate the problem of the collapsing fuel line.
But the noise was actually coming from the hose that goes from the
pump to the fuel line on the frame, make sure that you have some
good soft padding around this line or the vibrations from the fuel
pump travel into the plastic under body.

This was the problem on mine and since adding some pipe lagging to
the bit of hose that touches the under body the noise has gone away
whether the engine is warm or not.

Hope this make some sense!!

James RG
England

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 21:24:43 -0000
From: DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com

This question came to me offline a little bit ago from another DML'er
who was concerned about rust. The spring should not rust inside the
gas tank. Water is what causes rust. Water can enter in the system
thru either a bad seal around the fuel pump, or from condensing out
of the air. The latter of the two is most likely to occur after the
car has sat for quite some time, with a  tank of gas. Components on
their own will not simply rust by themselves without water.

Rust particles can come from shabby tanks in 'no-name' gas stations.
Which is why you should always fill your car up at a name brand gas
station. And according to the back issues of the DML here, rust
particles can even come from the fuel inlet restrictor on the
DeLorean!

Another thing is that the guy _at_dml_ Home Depot where the spring is sold
assured me that the spring is zinc plated. And even the package that
the spring comes in states that it is suited for "automotive,
outdoor, and marine useage". There should be no more concern about
the spring rusting then you would have about the fuel pump.

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:39:08 -0000
From: turbodmc_at_dml_hotmail.com
Subject: DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour

I just wanted to thank everyone who attended the second annual
DeLorean Fall Foliage Tour and if I do say so myself it was a great
weekend thanks to all that attended.

Special thanks to Rob and Debbie Grady who through their hard work
and generosity made this event a success. We had at least 16
DeLoreans, a Bricklin and several other carloads of DeLorean
enthusiasts show up at PJ Gradys on Saturday. PJ Gradys provided us
all (over 40 people)with lunch and also donated lots of the stainless
products for the raffle, you can see some of them at
http://www.pjgrady.com/stainlessmain.asp
In addition to all the donations Rob made (so that I did have to
charge anyone for Lunch, registration etc.) Rob really took a lot of
his personal time helping me set all this up and I couldn't have done
it without him.
A few other people who should be acknowledged.
David Teitelbaum for bringing his back to the future Pinball machine
and donating several raffle giveaways, Ken Koncelik who came in from
Ohio with his DeLorean to be here for this event and helped me set up
a nice photo shoot at Montauk point, and Nick Pitelo who we put in
harms way many times blocking traffic so that we could keep our
caravan of DeLoreans all together as we toured Long Island and
thrilled the people we passed with our cars.
Nick was the Butt of many jokes but he took it all in stride.

I will be travelling and away from my computer for the next week,
when I get back I hope to post the top
Road rally scores if I get a chance.

Regards,

Mike D.
Vin 3113
NY Lic. DLORIANN

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:49:44 -0500
From: "Dan RC30" <Danrc30_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Drivers side tortion bar availibility?

I'm confused here. I wanted to purchase a drivers side tortion bar so I could just have an extra one in case something ever happened to mine. I remember seeing posts that DMC Houston has pleanty available. But when I called, Warren said that none are left! What's the deal here? I remember James saying that there were pleanty available and that there is no shortage when Dave Stragand lost his on the way to the Cleveland show. Can someone please straighten this confusion out?

Thanks,

---Dan

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:51:06 EST
From: P12C16_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: New Delorean Model Pics

Hey there list,
I found that Sunstar has posted pics of the new Delorean model on their site.
 The link for direct access is http://www.sunstartoys.com/2701/2701.htm.
The car looks better than the prototype model.  I can't wait for mine to
arrive from DMC Houston.

Patrick

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:56:04 EST
From: ROBLAMROCK_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Middle Eastern DeLoreans?

In a message dated 28-Oct-01 5:25:04 PM GMT Standard Time, james_at_dml_usadmc.com
writes:

> And the last bit of 'urban myth', supposedly one of the Middle Eastern
> DeLoreans was painted pink by the owner...anyone know anything about that?

James,
There were two DeLorean dealerships in Saudi Arabia; one on Jeddah and one in
Riyadh.  They both carried the standard dealer compliment of cars and spares.
  When the factory closed they had some difficulty selling their stock, but
quite a number of cars were purchased new by English workers out there on the
oil fields.   By 1990 everything had been sold, but I was offered a painted
pink DeLorean for 40,000 Riya by the Jeddah dealer.  (I declined his offer on
this "pink panther" car!)

In Kuwait City a similar dealership existed.  After the Gulf war the only
remaining DeLorean known to exist was rescued by Captain Stephen Carrington
of UNIKOM (United Nations Iraq-Kuwait Observation Mission).  He shipped the
car back to England and after fitting out the interior with yellow and purple
leather interior he sold the car.
Robert Lamrock
Belfast

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:25:29 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Fwd: dmc car show

George Crane, one of my guest speakers at the Delorean Car Show "Graceland"
sent me an e-mail and I thought I would like share parts with all of you
He will be giving us a virtual video tour of the factory and tell us about
the last night of DDMC