From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 776
Date: Friday, November 09, 2001 4:04 AM

1. Re: Indulge me!
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com

2. DML] Re: trailing arm bolt removal
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

3. RE: RE: Re: whiny engine
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

4. RE: What other cars used the PRV-V6
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

5. light gray rear headliner
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: What other cars used the PRV-V6
From: pbmain_at_dml_mindspring.com

7. DML] Re: trailing arm bolt removal
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

8. More photos of Sunstar's BTTF DeLorean
From: stephen_at_dml_bttf.com

9. Brake Lights
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

10. RE: What other cars used the PRV-V6
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

11. RE: light gray rear headliner
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

12. Re: Brake Lights
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

13. RE: RE: Re: whiny engine
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

14. RE: What other cars used the PRV-V6
From: jugeauj_at_dml_gdls.com

15. Re: What other cars used the PRV-V6
From: pbmain_at_dml_mindspring.com

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 00:20:35 EST
From: deloreanss_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Indulge me!

While we're on the subject, "marque" is french for brand. Just in case you
wanted to know.

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 03:40:18 -0500
From: "Walter" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: DML] Re: trailing arm bolt removal

My 2 cents on trailing arm replacement:  Use a waterproof black marking pen
to write on the bottom of each trailing arm the date and the mileage that
the bolt was installed.  It wouldn't hurt to also write down the torque used
and from where the bolt was obtained.  Then there is little left to the
imagination for the next guy to know what was done last.  The writing will
be covered/protected by the dust shield, so don't worry about ruining the
looks of anything.

PLEASE DO THIS.  LET'S MAKE IT A WORLD-WIDE STANDARD, OKAY?

I don't have a pit in my garage, so I first used jack stands to get the
weight off the wheels and then used ramps to hold the weight of the wheels
to properly position everything when I tightened it back up.

Since mine is an automatic, I had to take the trailing arm loose from the
hub on the drivers side to get enough room.  I had to take the brake line
loose to do this, and believe it or not, I could reach the brake pedal with
my foot and operate the bleed screw by myself at the same time.

Leaving my fears in the back seat and coolness everywhere else.  :)
Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 06:48:48 -0500
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: RE: RE: Re: whiny engine

>    I do not have a slight grinding whine, but for the past almost 2
>years I hear a slight creak or perhaps best described as flexing metal
>sound, it is a sound simmilar to a squeaky hinge.. Anywany i hear this noise
>everytime I depress the clutch, it is bearly adiable witht eh engine on, but
>when the engine is off it is very obvious.

Sounds like the plastic bushings supporting the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals, on the pedal cluster assembly pivot shaft, are either starved for lube or worn out, in which case they will groan a little when depressed. Try checking under the dash and lubing the shaft. I would suggest white lithium grease, but since the buchings appear to be plastic, someone else may have a better suggestion for a lubricant.
Jim

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:05:37 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: RE: What other cars used the PRV-V6

Yes...

http://www.vectorbd.com/users/jpl/v6.html

They are NOT all the same.  Many people have personal experience with
parts swaps.  Some work, some don't.

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:48:47 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: light gray rear headliner

Hey all,

i am looking for either a perfect condition used rear headliner in light gray
(NO WARPAGE!!) or a NOS light gray headliner.  i have just been informed that
these are unavailable parts after i already removed mine for replacement.  i
would rather not spend the money to buy the front and rear as a kit if i
don't have to because my front one is good!  anyone have any???????

please email me privately.

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 17:23:08 -0000
From: pbmain_at_dml_mindspring.com

Mark, (or anyone else)

Do you know what some of the interchangable/noninterchangable parts
were?

Pete

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:01:25 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

I think this is a great idea but it could be expanded upon. When the
other recalls were done there was color-coding used so a quick glance
could tell a knowledgeable mechanic the status of the car. Also
keeping a paper trail of receipts is important. A good example to
follow is the aviation industry. A logbook is kept for all maintaince
performed so you know what was done, when, and by who. In the end if
you were to sell the car it makes it more valuable with a full
maintaince history. On my personal cars I find it very interesting to
see how long parts and repairs last. It can show you trends that you
might otherwise miss. IMHO if there was a DMC car company today there
would have long ago been a recall issued on the trailing arm bolts.
There would have been a written procedure and you would be required to
put a colored dot on the firewall to indicate the recall was done. If
I was to buy a Delorean today and not know the status of the trailing
arm bolts I would just replace them. On replacing the left bolt on
automatics it is not necessary to disconnect the brake line, just the
trailing arm from the carrier, there is enough slack and you can bend
the line a little to get the bolt out. Of course if the fluid needs to
be flushed out it would be a good time to do it.

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:20:30 -0000
From: stephen_at_dml_bttf.com
Subject: More photos of Sunstar's BTTF DeLorean

Sunstar has just posted detailed photos of their upcoming BTTF
DeLorean 1:18 scale diecast coming in December:

http://www.sunstartoys.com/back%20to%20future/DeLorean_back%20to%
20future.htm

-- Stephen _at_dml_ BTTF.com

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:28:11 -0500
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Brake Lights

Alright guys heres the story.
I checked fuse 4, and it had no volts.  I then checked under the dash and
the green wire does have 12 volts.  As i was looking at the brake box and
pumping the brake peddle i noticed that the second brake lever does not come
in contact with the brass fitting on the brake box.  now there is a small
plastic piece that goes up inside the brass fitting, but no metal is making
contact; unless there is some metal at the edge of the plastic piece that i
can't see.
Any ideas, suggestions?  Or have i thoroughly confused you.

Thanks
  Willie

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:04:29 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

The block itself is the same on most if not all of the engines listed.
The engine "cradle" is unique on the DeLorean (it may be the same on the
Alpine, but I don't know for sure) which is where the engine mounts bolt
in.

The earlier versions of the PRV (like the DMC) are odd fire, where the
later ones (like the Eagle) are even fire.  With that, the crankshafts
and cam shafts are not the same.  I do think any of the PRV heads will
bolt on to any PRV block, but the fire order will be dictated by the
heads you choose and the crank should come from the same "donor".

The intakes are likely not interchangeable between heads.  I cant verify
this, but it is a good bet they are not the same.

Also note that the displacement is not always the same.  I am told some
blocks can be modified to fit the larger piston liners.  Again, I have
never tried this.

My information is all theoretical.  There may be others on the list that
have tried some of these things.

I think it would be better if you explain what you are trying to do.
That may be a better way for the rest of the group to help you.

Are you looking for more performance?  Replace a blown motor?  Doing a
book report?  :)

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:07:29 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: light gray rear headliner

Eventually your head liners will fail, the fabric will come loose from the
foam backing.

Scott Mueller
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:41:09 EST
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Brake Lights

You need to check both sides of the terminals in the fuse box for fuse four
to be certain you have voltage. If you didn't check the supply side of the
fuse, you'll always show no volts. You should have 2 male spade connectors on
the brake switch. Green and green/purple. Since you've got 12 v on the green
wire at the brake switch you probably have no problem with the fuse box. On
the brake switch connect the hot green wire to the green/purple wire with a
jumper, and you should have brake lights, and either a bad or misadjusted
brake switch. The brass fitting on the switch you mention is just the
mounting threads for the switch. The pastic plunger on the end of the switch
is responsible for making the connection in side the switch. There should be
no metal contact to the brass switch threads from the brake pedal lever. From
what you've described so far, I think you have a bad switch.
Jim

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:29:58 -0500
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

The whining sound I was describing comes from the transmission clutch
area, not the pedal box
Joe VIN 17167 6808

Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:08:38 -0500
From: jugeauj_at_dml_gdls.com

>Are you looking for more performance?  Replace a blown motor?  Doing a
>book report?  :)

First out of curiosity.
Second as a possible temporary fix for another DMC-12 I've got which
experienced a coolant leak unbeknown to the owner at the time who kept
driving until it over heated.
He'd fixed the leak and continued driving it off and on until coolant
started to find its way into the crank case.
That was about five years ago.
He'd parked it and started working on it, but since it wasn't a customer's
car (he owns his own garage as a business) he wasn't in any hurry to get it
done (still isn't).

A friend who'd worked for the guy turned me onto it.
The first one I'd gotten was missing the spare wheel (long story, many
previous paws clawed around the fuel pump and very few of which were
familiar with fuel injection systems in general).
So I took the opportunity to see the car and take note of what the darn
spare wheel looks like.
While there the owner expressed his interest in selling it which later lead
to me buying it.

So, that said, I'm entertaining the idea of simply finding an engine that
"easily" bolts into a DMC-2 for now and wait until I can work on the
original engine.

Why not wait until I find a DMC-12 version?
Well, price for one (I know DMC-Huoston sell them all done up) and secondly
and more importantly I need to be able to move this thing under its own
power which is a lot less expensive than towing, etc. Please don't ask why,
The reasons are long and involved and are too easily debased to tit for tat
arguments.
I don't like the way that last sentence might sound. Please don't take it
the wrong way. I'm sure you've all sustained that kind of needling owning
this type of car. You know what I mean.

I've heard a lot about the Volvo 760 having the same engine and they're
more common in the States than others. Is that engine a straight forward
bolt in or not?

Also, does anyone now where I can get a spare wheel?

Louis

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 04:08:18 -0000
From: pbmain_at_dml_mindspring.com

The book report would be quite dry... :) Actually, I have a couple
Delorean engines in the garage, along with a couple other PRV
engines...one was out of a Zimmer (?) motorhome, complete with
transmission, the others may have been Volvos? Not sure.

Anyhow, I'm all about recycling parts when I can - I never throw
anything out, since I've been in that position where I'm hunting
around the world for some original horn cap for a '50s Alfa Romeo
Spyder or somethign crazy and can't find it because it's some part
that everyone ditched when they upgraded their cars...or looking for
a 12mm wrench that was part of the original toolkit which probably
got left on the side of some road..:)

I'd like to figure out what parts of the three oddball engines are
actually usable for Delorean purposes, as I'll feel less guilt
getting rid of parts that only apply to some Volvo sedan or motorhome
that probably won't be getting restored...and hopefully I can sell
these extra parts to pay for all these parts I'm buying from the
Delorean shops lately :) The list gets longer as the ideas keep
growing...I'm sure many out there know that feeling...

Any info/experiences would be appreciated...

Pete

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_p...> wrote:
> The block itself is the same on most if not all of the engines
listed.
> The engine "cradle" is unique on the DeLorean (it may be the same
on the
> Alpine, but I don't know for sure) which is where the engine mounts
bolt
> in.

[SNIP]