From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 801
Date: Monday, November 26, 2001 2:15 AM

1. Re: Re: logos & copyrights
From: Lee <immerse_at_dml_pacbell.net>

2. Storing my car for the first time
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

3. Please tell me what you think.
From: "Silas " <silas102000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Oxygen sensor / Lamder probe
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:04:25 -0800
From: Lee <immerse_at_dml_pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Re: logos & copyrights

reply:

Walt,

I  tend to agree with your assessment, but being right or wrong about the issue of the
exact form of the logo claimed by DMC Houston is not the point.

Copyrights are federal rights and for the most part self enforced, so while they are
federal
laws, the copy right owners are required to do all the legal work of enforcement.

So when James (DMC Houston) made his threats about non existent use agreements and
re evaluation of My use of their logo, he was using the power of Title 17 of the US
Copyright statutes. Under these laws the defendant (that’s me in this case) is required
do several things when "notice" is received, some of which are to stop the infringement
work,
destroying all infringing materials, molds, etc,. No cease & desist order is required
unless
I refuse to follow the Title 17 statutes.

The problem for us casual producers of various DeLorean things is that when Mr. Wynne
tells any one over the phone something along the lines as "…if it is not offensive or
degrades DeLorean's name or the car …." It's OK, The caller has no actual permission to
use the DMC Houston registered logo. Such licensing has to be in writing to be
enforceable and defended. In my case I spent money to have an attorney write a proper
contract, Mr. Wynne received that contract and liked it's content or so he said on the
phone, but he never signed the contract or ever got back to me once James took over.
While the contract did include the use of the "DMC" logo it also covered other items I
wanted to produce.

The bottom line is that it's entirely DMC Houston's game, they can enforce or not as they

choose, with any out come being either an out of court settlement or court finding after
trial.

More to the point, The issue with me was being threatened with the loss of  tacit
approval
by DMC Houston unless I delivered a FREE limited edition 1/24th scale model to DMC
Houston. The current excuse   "I was only joking…about the copyrights…"  when taken
with a new accusation on the phone that.... "If you want to use the copyright problem to
get
out of  finishing the models….That's OK with me    " (James of DMC Houston), belies the
suggestion that DMC Houston (James) made no such statements/demands.

As a practical matter there is little I can do now with out a voluntary license from DMC
Houston's. Not because I am wrong or that DMC Houston have rights to my exact usage.
But because DMC Houston has given me what is know as "Legal notice", now I can only
wait to see if the other shoe falls. This is true of all others as well who are selling
anything that DMC Houston might decide to claim is theirs, not saying they will, just
that
it's their option. They must enforce their copyrights and it is what they think falls
with in
their registration that counts. Any one me included who produces anything that DMC
Houston decides fall under their registration is at risk with out a written agreement.

Lee

Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:19:33 -0500
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: Storing my car for the first time

It has been a great 8 months of ownership with my Delorean, but now I want
to tuck it away until March in my garage...what should I do for proper
storage?

Disconnect the battery.

(Please...nothing too crazy...just some BASIC storage tips!)

Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 03:25:26 -0000
From: "Silas " <silas102000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Please tell me what you think.

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
Respond to Silas directly please...
*****

Please go on to my website  groups.yahoo.com/group/jigowatts/
  and tell me what you think at silas102000_at_dml_yahoo.com  i'm a
boy who can't drive yet but always wanted a DeLorean also I am
 a very big fan of DeLorean memoribilia.

                       Sincerely,
                         Silas R. Canning at   silas102000_at_dml_yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 04:10:14 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Oxygen sensor / Lamder probe

I don't think so and wouldn't do it for 2 reasons. When the whole
exhaust system is hot it is harder to work on it without getting
burned and as hot as it does get I don't think it is hot enough. With
a torch you can control the heat and only heat up a small area. It
does have it's inherent dangers so you really have to know what you
are doing. I have tried all different ways to loosen things but I
always seem to get my best results when I use heat when possible.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_f...> wrote:
> Would it work to just run the car for a little bit to heat up the
exhaust?

> -Christian
>
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 jtrealty_at_dml_w... wrote:
>
> > The best way to remove it is to heat the fitting it screws into
with
> > an acetalyne torch. If you don't have one find a muffler shop to
do it