From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 804
Date: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 6:37 PM

1. Re: Low Gas Light
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net

2. Delorean Molds
From: edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com

3. Re: Low Gas Light
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

4. Re: Re: Low Gas Light
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

5. RE: Radio removal?
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

6. RE: Low Gas Light
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

7. Trailing Arm Bolt poll
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com

8. Sterling
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:52:51 -0000
From: jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net
Subject: Re: Low Gas Light

If you still have the OEM sender unit don't trust the level indication
and don't expect the low level light to work or be accurate. If you
want something that you can trust you can't even fuss with it to get
it to work as it isn't reliable. As of this point in time the only
sure way to fix the fuel indicator once and for all is to get a
Tankzilla. Yes it is expensive but so is running out of gas. It is
VERY easy to install and has an excellent warranty. The only complaint
I have ever heard about it is the price. The warning is supposed to be
enough so you can get to the next gas station unless you are in the
middle of a desert. I always use the trip odometer to cross-check
against the fuel gauge. A little habit I picked up from flying. There
are still a ridiculus amount of forced landings due to fuel
starvation, that is what killed John Denver!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_v...> wrote:
> Does anyone know at what level the low gas light is
> suppose to come on?

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:57:25 -0000
From: edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Delorean Molds

What molds are being sold on e-bay right now. Where did they come
from. Maybe there are some more laying around.  Ed

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:58:21 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

It is quite possible that your low fuel light will *never* come on.

Inside the fuel sender, there is a long, bare wire that runs from the
connector at the top all the way down to the float contact at the
bottom. This wire sometimes comes loose, effectively disabling the
warning light (although still permitting the gas gauge to work).  This
is easily repaired by anyone who can solder.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:49:03 EST
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Low Gas Light

On the original factory's sending unit in my DeLorean, the light would come
on when there is two to three gallons left which is about the same with the
Tankzilla units.

With the Tankzilla units (I had two units, for one was a replacement) both of
them turned the warning light on when there is slightly around three gallons
left.  The warning light will start to FLICKER on and off when you have 3 to
4 gallons in the tank.  When the lights STAYS ON, you have 2.5 gallons left
as reserve.

Many times when the light would come on and a stays on, I would continue to
drive and put on at least 25 to 35 miles on the odometer (at times up to 38
to 40 miles and I won't push it beyond that) before I would stop to fill up
at the next gas station.  I would fill my tank until the gas is up to the
opening of the neck. (Yes, I know I am not supposed to do that, but I am
driving on a long trip so the gas will get consumed within several minutes to
bring the level below the fill neck and my tank to the filler neck don't
leak.)  I would then drive on, until the lights come on again and I would
fill it up again in the same manner.  In doing so, I can get a very accurate
amount of gallons filled, which is 11 to 12 gallons.  The DeLorean's tank
capacity is rated at 13.2 gallons, and subtracting the 11 or 12 gallons
filled (as indicated by the pump -- and there is variations which leads me to
believe the pumps are NOT all accurate... hummm???), therefore, there is 2
gallons in reserve.  Remember, this is my car and "its" sending unit ...
yours may differ slightly.

FYI... The brand of gas, the octane, the highway's terrain and weather
conditions and traveling at an average speed of 60 MPH, I would get 27 up to
30 MPG with a passenger (my wife of 130 lbs) with additional luggage and
other gears of 25 to 70 lbs in weight as payload.  This for me, makes the
DeLorean worth its weight over many other exotics cars I driven or owned.

Kayo Ong
Lic. 9D NY

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:23:08 -0500
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: RE: Radio removal?

While we are on this topic, i installed a new radio this summer.  And, when
i went to put the consule back together and i couldn't figure out how to get
the rubber vent to fit back together.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
  Willie

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:23:09 -0500
From: "Willie Mack" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

John
How would i go about adjusting the light?  On a original sender.

Thanks
  Willie

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 19:11:11 -0000
From: tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com
Subject: Trailing Arm Bolt poll

Hello List - I just wanted to encourage everybody to respond to the
poll regarding the trailing arm bolts.  I see that we have over 100
votes for the coolant bottle poll, but only 38 for this very important
poll.  There are many people who are very interested in the results of
this poll, so ... GO VOTE!  (Even you "Digest lurkers" out there
should participate, even if you don't normally contribute to the
ongoing DML dialog).

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:10:54 EST
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Sterling

[Moderator Note: file this away as interesting trivia, but unless someone reveals more of a DeLorean connection please do not make a thread out of it.  -Mike Substelny]

I don't know if this will make it past the moderator, but awhile ago on the list I mentioned a kit car an acquaintence of mine had that made an interesting crusing partner for a D.  I just found out what it was, a Nova/Sterling kit car.  (See http://community-2.webtv.net/_at_dml_HH!98!20!D7E021FEE54A/ROAD-RAT3/CALIFORNIACOMPONENT/).  Has anyone on the list ever seen one of these cars or teamed up with one in any fashion?   Next to the Bricklin, these are the only other exotic door cars I have seen that seem to have a wide circulation.  I guess they were big in the 70s, pre-DeLorean days.

Richard