From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 810
Date: Saturday, December 01, 2001 12:59 PM

1. Gas Question
From: michaelzkqkq_at_dml_yahoo.com

2. Re: Cruise Control and other Volvo curiosities
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

3. Re: DMC "Wishlist" for Christmas
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: stacking DeLoreans (storage)
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. RE: Comments on the DML
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

6. Re: Delorean Molds
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

7. Re: DMC "Wishlist" for Christmas
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

8. Re: Steering wheel (WAS Cruise/Volvo)
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:01:23 -0000
From: michaelzkqkq_at_dml_yahoo.com
Subject: Gas Question

How long does it take for gas to go bad before I shouldn't run it in
my Delorean?

I've been off the list awhile, but the gas in it is about 3 months
old (maybe 4) and I am scared it may damage something if I try to run
it through... should I drain it?

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 10:23:03 -0000
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Cruise Control and other Volvo curiosities

Thats Handy, if it will fit, I have a scrapyard near me that has a couple of
Volvo 240's in it and he is unbelievably cheap to buy from :-)

I'll go and see if I can an arm and see if it will fit, of is the same.

One thing to ask the list.... I need to replace that very part, however
can't for the life of me get the sterring wheel off , it seems to be really
stuck on, yes I have removed the nut ;-)

Any Ideas??

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 07:18:58 -0500
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DMC "Wishlist" for Christmas

All great ideas but the one on your list I really want is the Cruise Control
(in the short run)!!!

I know some of the vendors are working miracles.  Any chance this is on the
short list of items under development?  If not, does anyone know of a
current solution (ones I have seen so far are based on cruise controls that
are long out of production)?

Thanks,

Ed
10541

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 07:43:52 -0500
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: stacking DeLoreans (storage)

I was looking for one of these too some time ago.  Its on my "one of these
days list".  In addition to items previously mentioned like ceiling
clearance, dripping oil, smooth floor, 2 vs. 4 post, etc... there is one
other significant thing you need to consider.  Will the floor of you garage
support it.

I'm not a structural engineer but it certainly seems stress to the floor
would be a lot different on four small hard wheels vs. four car tires.  In
addition you are adding the weight of the stand too you have that additional
weight over a much smaller surface area.

Other things I considered were the 2 post required mounting (which seemed to
be more foundation work) and I just didn't like the idea of my suspension
dangling over long storage periods.  Also some vendors did not discuss
whether their systems had Locks (vs. leaving it up to the hydraulic
cylinders to hold the load).

There were several good companies I found online.  TopLift was one I liked
(with the drip tray) because the hydraulics were enclosed (I live near the
ocean and salt air really loves hydraulic cylinders).

Ed
10541

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 07:39:13 -0600
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Comments on the DML

I agree completely with Gary's comments about signing your messages with
your true identity rather than a Handle.  Children should not use there real
name on the net, but this should not be a problem with our list, since
children are not allowed to own cars.

SCOTT MUELLER
DMCNEWS 002981
DOA 5031

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 07:45:57 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean Molds

I think more likely someone emailed the seller with an offer he could not refuse.  Did
anyone catch the sellers email.?  IF so, we should contact him and find out what
happened.  This could be very useful in the future.

BOB

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 07:59:36 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Stian Birkeland,

I find your list to be very interesting.  I proposed a similar idea to John DeLorean years ago.  the idea was that he could
certify a car as being the newer model years based on the upgrades to the vehicle.

For example,

1983 - Twin Turbo/ improved cooling system
1984 - Power Steering
1985 - Time Machine Option Package
1986 - Return of the hood gas flap
1987 - Clearcoated stainless
1988 - Colored tinted transparent stainless clearcoat
1989 - Bose Stereo System
1990 - Larger Power Braking system/ ABS brakes
1991 - 4 speed automatic
1992 - Stainless steel frame
1993 - Aluminum V-8
1994 - Remote starting
1995 - Remote door locks
etc.

Bob

Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 14:49:19 -0000
From: "David Swingle" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel (WAS Cruise/Volvo)

The steering wheel can be a problem. I went thru this a few years
ago. I tried a puller (the holes in the wheel are WAY to small) it
immediately stripped out the threaded puller holes. The advice I got
was to have someone pull on the wheel while I struck the upper end of
the steering column using a hammer and brass drift. That succeeded in
scaring my wife a lot (nothing quite like facing the backswing on the
hammer) but not much else. I finally drilled thru the steering wheel
adjacent to the steering column (leaving about 1mm of metal)and then
used a narrow chisel to break thru to the column releasing the
tension. (I was replacing the steering wheel, and it was non-
repairable.) Careful, the steering column is designed to be
collapsable in an accident so aggressive downward pressure can have
damaging results.

One of the above ought to work.

Dave Swingle