From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 831
Date: Monday, December 17, 2001 8:39 AM

From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net

From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "dherv10" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>

From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: Heat Stove Function.
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: Supercharger retrofit
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

19. Re: Supercharger retrofit
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

20. Re: TYRE WEAR SAGA
From: "carnut4849" <gmfm1_at_dml_att.net>

21. Was Re: Accumalator now Inertia switch
From: "carnut4849" <gmfm1_at_dml_att.net>

22. No Spark
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

23. broken motor mount bracket
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Heat Stove Function.
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

25. Re: No Spark
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 01:03:54 -0500
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net
Subject: RE: Re: Supercharger retrofit

Group,
Is adding a supercharger a matter of making brackets or is there some adjustments that need to be done to electronics somewhere on the car when retrofitted

Jim

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop_at_dml_Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 08:03:04 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Supercharger retrofit

If you have the money, then you can pretty much get almost any
setup you want for your engine. The PRV in the DeLorean is
actaully a nice setup as in it's middle of the road when it comes
to internal specs. As has been stated before, the lower than
expected performance of the car isn't due to the motor, but the
DeLorean application itself. You have to remember that the car
was hurried for completion, and EPA ratings. This means power
was sacrificed for economy. If you want to improve performance,
start with things like the exhaust system. I'm not knocking the
blower idea, but nothing that simply bolts on is going to fix
everything in the performance sense. A blower is a possibility,
but using the same restrictive exhaust system is going to kill alot
of the potential of the supercharger. What good is taking a
deeper breath if you're still going to exhale thru the same small
straw?

Mostly likely, you are probably not going to find a spare
supercharger sitting at your local junkyard. So far I've been to
quite a few of the local yards here, and have never seen a
blower, or any simular set up lying around. In fact last summer
when I was buying suspension parts to repair a friends car, the
guy next to me while I was paying was asking about
superchargers for a Camaro. The guy behind the counter told
him that they never buy cars with afttermarket mods. If it's not
factory original, they don't buy it because of the limited market,
and possible damage of other parts from misuse and poor
installation. When the guy asked about other yards that may
have what he was looking for, they guy behind the counter
wished him luck as it's pretty much a common practice with all
salvage yards. So if you're looking for these kind of parts, I don't
think that you'll find them as cheap/easily as you might hope...

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., mrvideosawyer_at_dml_n... wrote:
> Group,
>
> How come we as a group come up with a supercharger
retrofit?  I called Paxton today and the admitted that the basic unit
was the same from car to car.  What is the big deal here? If I
heard these guy right it is just a matter of belts pulleys and
brackets.  There are so many superchargers sitting on cars in
junk yards that we as a group should put our heads together and
figure a way to put some punce in this engine.  Toby is leaving
me in the dust just because of his suspension mods (sway bar,
lowered, air dam and of course TOBY BOLTS).  I have called
many places that build these superchargers and they all seem
to think it cannot be done.  I am a JUNKYARDS war kind of guy
lets figure out something..

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:14:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: Re:out of stock items

Ah yes, the heat stove. I was looking at mine a while ago (yes, pretty
wated away indeed) and I wondered a couple things:

1. What does this thing do?
2. Is the hole supposed to meet up with another hole on the engine? Mine
just dead-ends.
3. Where do you get a replacement that's long enough for the stove pipe?
I've only been able to find them up to 18".

Oh yeah, the other day a lady called my car "the batmobile". It's been a
weird week.

-Christian

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 02:12:16 EST
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., deloreanernst_at_dml_a... wrote:

> Speaking of parts no longer available, . . . .and the manifold heat
stove.
> Wayne A. Ernst

Not so fast. Take a look at http://www.pearce-design.com/heatstove.html

I've seen it - very nice part.

Dave

   Dave,

  One other source is your local Volvo dealer. It is a part they can still
order. I must agree, it's not as nice as the Pearce Design part tho.

  Marty

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:19:10 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: out of stock items

OK, call me thicker than the offspring of a Village Idiot and a TV Weather Girl, but what
exactly IS the heat stove?

If Brian's reading this, I have a contact over here who do laser cutting. Currently we
get a lot of titanium cut for nothing because we got their logo on TV. the company is
www.laser-cutting.co.uk

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 16:12:49 -0000
From: "dherv10" <dherv10_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Restoration

For you that keep up with this kind of thing. Vin 4416 had been
sitting since 1984 under a carport. You can imagine what it needs.
It's all gray interior, 5 speed , oct 81 and 9566 miles. It's not to
bad but all the fuel system is being replaced, interior, enging
parts, struts. Then once it 's started. We'll check out frame and
updates for that.
John Hervey
   http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:22:08 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The parts collectively refered to as the "heat stove" are on page
1-4-0 of the parts manual. The parts most prone to deterioration are
the EXF Manifold stove (34) and the hose going to it (14). It is part
of the air inlet system and it's purpose is to preheat the air
entering the motor till the motor warms up to shorten the warm-up
period as the car is most polluting until it warms up.

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:36:02 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 12/16/2001 12:33:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wingd2_at_dml_aol.com writes:

>   One other source is your local Volvo dealer. It is a part they can still
> order. I must agree, it's not as nice as the Pearce Design part tho.

Rob Grady tells me he's checked and it's no longer available thru Volvo...
anywhere.  The Pearce one is news to me tho.
Wayne

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:06:28 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Heat Stove Function.

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Tampering with engine components that impact emissions is generally not legal and is not recommended.]

If I understand correctly, it's kinda like a primative EGR valve. But
it does function in tandem with the Air Inlet Valve.

The heat stove wraps around the exhaust manifold. Any ambiant
air between the stove and the manifold is warmed by the radiant
heat of the manifold from the hot exhaust gases inside. A hose
connects the Heat Stove to the Air Inlet Valve. When the outside
air temp drops below a certain degree, a bi-metal arm bends to
move a flap inside to alow the vaccum created by the engine
intake to suck hot air in from the Heat Stove.

So instead of returning hot exhaust gases into the engine like an
EGR valve, the setup on the DeLorean simply pumps in fresh air
heated by the exhaust gases.

As a side note, I removed this entire setup for my car, and have
gotten a slight increase on performance since due to the lack of
restrictions on the air intake. But now the exhaust on cold
mornings is quite potent for a little while longer then it used to
be.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_d...> wrote:
<SNIP>
> exactly IS the heat stove?
<SNIP>

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:05:05 -0000
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Where does it go 2nd attempt

Hi all

Still have not worked out where this vacume pipe goes after many people have tried to discribe it to me, So I thought I would try the idiot proof way.

I have up loaded a file into the DML files which shows the problem pipe outlined in green. Would somebody be kind enough to  copy and send me this photo with where the other end goes to, Its really starting to bug me now.

Hopefully X will mark the spot.

Cheers

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Paul indicates the file is called DCPO2323.jpg]

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 20:38:43 -0000
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Brakes

HI all

I'm still not 100% happy with the brakes on my car, I've checked the pads and callipers and they are fine. I have also totally bled the system and there is no air in it, The only thing left is the power assist. How do I check the vacuum is working right, or is that not right in itself?

Cheers

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:01:28 +1100
From: Lance Haslewood <lanceh_at_dml_zeta.org.au>
Subject: TYRE WEAR SAGA

The tyre wear saga continues.  In reference to my previous messages
regarding excessive tyre wear, the auto technician advises that  the camber
needs adjusting, hence the excessive wear on the outer edge of the tyre
(left-hand tyre).  But according to the manual, the camber is fixed and
cannot be adjusted.  In addition, my 'D' sits at a height of 6" which is
half an inch higher than that mentioned in then manual.  Should the car be
lowered to the correct height (5.5"), then the camber will be further effected.

One member on the list suggested that I have a full rear alignment
done.  This cannot be done as upper control arm has no adjustment?  Should
it have an eccentric bolt, then adjustment could be made.  Would be
grateful if anyone has the answer on how the camber can be adjusted.

Thank you.

Lance Haslewood
Australia

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:28:26 -0600
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

Turbochargers and super chargers do the same thing and the installation of
either requires more than a simple bolt on . There are books written on the
subject, everything changes when you start forcing air into the intake.
Ignition timing, fuel mix, exhaust, and in some cases valve timing all need
to be tuned to comply with the addition of supercharging. This tuning needs
to be specific to the particular engine design you're dealing with. I'd
suggest doing some research before spending any time and money on a project
like this.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 18:25:57 -0500 (EST)
From: William T Wilson <fluffy_at_dml_snurgle.org>

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net wrote:

> Is adding a supercharger a matter of making brackets or is there some
> adjustments that need to be done to electronics somewhere on the car
> when retrofitted

Much more than making brackets.

The fuel system needs to deliver the right amount of fuel for the amount
of air going into the engine.  If there is not enough fuel, the engine
blows up.  In addition to that the supercharger heats the air; hotter air
requires more fuel.

The stock fuel delivery system is designed to supply fuel for a stock
engine; a supercharger can increase the amount of air by 50% or more.

The K-Jetronic is a mechanical injection system which is not easy to make
precision modifications to compared to modern electronic fuel
systems.  The Island system has some plumbing designed to make the
existing system supply approximately the right amount of fuel for turbo
operation, and works well enough.  You could probably adapt that for use
with a supercharger.

As an alternative a Haltech or other stand-alone EFI computer could be
installed.

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:05:35 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Where does it go 2nd attempt

Paul,

   That vacuum hose connects to the water valve for the heater core for the
A/C control system.  Refer to the parts manual....location in manual...7-1-3
fig 2.  This valve is controlled by vacuum supplied by the mode switch inside
the passenger compartment.  To located the water valve, there is a water line
coming from behind the drivers side cylinder head that leads to the passenger
side, the water valve is "in-line" on that hose.  You should feel a vacuum
valve that the vacuum hose connects to.  The rubber line hooks up to that.
Hope that helps some.

Later,
Nick
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/njp548">http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>
Happy Holidays!

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:05:36 EST
From: wingd2_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 12/16/01 5:43:25 PM Central Standard Time,
deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com writes:

> Rob Grady tells me he's checked and it's no longer available thru Volvo...
> anywhere.  The Pearce one is news to me tho.
> Wayne
> 11174

    Now that's news to me. I got one from my local Volvo dealer just a couple
of months ago, no problems. Maybe I got the last one ? I guess that makes it
a collectors item, huh :-)

  Marty

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:32:37 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Heat Stove Function.

Robert, I just wanted to confirm with you. I to had removed all the air mass
sensor and ran a flex pipe straight off the bottom of the air breather to the
hole in the rear quarter panel. I saw a considerable amount of pickup. I also
adjusted my air flow meter after the car warmed up to compensate if any.
Coupled with 93 octane gas and the HV coil, I see a considerable pickup. I
have take people riding in my car and they can't believe something else
hasn't been do to it. One other note, if the air mass isn't working
correctly, there will be a restriction of air and a possible richer mixture
when running.  If the valve doesn't open then it will pull hot air all the
time off the exhaust manifold.
John hervey
   http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:54:33 -0600
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

GLENN & SONS AUTOMOTIVE INC
19170  W Il Route 137
Libertyville IL 60048
(847) 362-2886

They have installed and developed a kit for putting a supercharger on a Delorean.  This
set up has been dyno tested and published in two articles in DeLorean World a few years
ago.

The supercharger gave about a 20-25% increase in HP.  It gave this increase at a lower
RPM than the single turbo set up..  However, the single turbo had up to a 40% increase
in HP at higher RPM.

These test results were before improvements were made in ignition and fuel delivery.

The supercharger would be more fun on the street, while the turbo would be more fun on
the highway.

The cost was in the range of about $5,000.

There are a couple of advanges to the supercharger system compared to the turbo
charger.  First, engine bay heat is almost not affected.  Turbochargers created alot of
engine bay heat.

The supercharger bolts on without exhaust system changes. (Though you should improve
exhaust flow to get the HP benefits.)

PS.  For those of you who live in areas where emissions are not a concern. If you clean
out the catalytic converter you will pick up a noticable improvement in performance.

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:02:47 EST
From: Delorean17_at_dml_aol.com

Who owns this supercharged D?  Follow this link to the DMC news files.  It
looks pretty nice.

later
David

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 02:13:41 -0000
From: "carnut4849" <gmfm1_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: TYRE WEAR SAGA

Dear Lance,
     I am assuming that you are talking about the rear tires. You are
correct about fixed camber, however some vendors sell reworked lower
control arms that allow for camber adjustment. I believe that
Delorean Motor Center in California has these available. I put a pair
of their early design lower control arms on my D years ago and never
had any problems with them and it did allow for adjustment. I believe
that they have made a better version since then. Good Luck.
Happy Holidays,
Gary Masie

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 02:26:48 -0000
From: "carnut4849" <gmfm1_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Was Re: Accumalator now Inertia switch

Dear Martin,
     One recall that you may want to check for and consider doing if
it isn't done is the reinforcement under the front stablizer bar
where it attaches to the front frame(2 locations). The recall was
done because the frame area was too weak and was bending from normal
driving if my memory serves me. You may want to check on this and get
other opinions.
Happy Holidays,
Gary Masie

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:24:42 EST
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: No Spark

Hi all,

    After an extensive and labor intensive weekend, I have encountered a
small predicament. The cap, rotor, wires, plugs, & coil were replace with
DeLorean parts. The car is getting fuel down to the injectors, however no
spark. I have done this tune up before about 25 times.
    Any tips????????

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:31:57 EST
From: AJL521_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: broken motor mount bracket

Hi

Due to broken moter mounts and a rusted cross member, I had to pull the
engine out of my 81 D.  The nuts on the righthand motor mount stud had also
broken off.  After pulling the engine, my first plan was to remove the broken
stud, so that the new one could be installed, I proceeded to heat the bracket
and attempt to pound out the stud.  After only a few hits with the hammer,
the entire bracket compleatly cracked off the engine. Upon inspection it
appears to be extreamly coroaded.  Has anyone run into this before, and if
so, what can be done?

I will also be welding new plates in the motor mount area, does anyone on the
list have any experance with this either?

Any ideas would be very helpful

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:45:33 -0000
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

John - the DMC engine has no Mass Air Flow sensor. That is typically
used on Electronic FI engines. Are you talking about the valve that
controls heated intake air? This is an emission control device that,
in your climate may not be particularly necessary, but is considered
part of the car'e emission system for legal/inspection purposes in
some states. It will also make the car run better when it is extremely
cold (sub-freezing) outside.

When you say a "considerable amount of pickup" what do you mean?
Measured how? If you are running 93 octane gas, and adjusting
ignition timing to take advantage of that, it is a separate power
gain from any impact of removing air intake heater. Sounds to me like
you changed several variables at once, which makes it hard to tell
which had what impact. This is another case where some dyno numbers
would be helpful. Having witnessed several dyno sessions on various
DeLoreans, I find it hard to believe that significant, consistent,
measureable HP gains can be had by tweaking. An example of this
comparison is the  chart that Bob Brandys created a while ago. See
at http://www.dmcnews.com/Resource/horsepower.html

Dave Swingle

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:55:26 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: No Spark

Mike, Is there voltage going to the left side of the resistor. blue/yellow
wire. If not, check for a loose connection on the solenoid, resistor, relay
or a broken wire. If it's there then the voltage goes from the starter
solenoid to the relay to the resistor. If all else fails and you have
voltage, look for a bad resistor. You should have about 10.7 volts when
starting. You can also by pass the resistor with the blue/yellow to start the
car then back to the resistor. If it still doesn't get fire, you can check
the coil, ECU and there is a pulse coil in the distributor. It could be shot.
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/