From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 841
Date: Tuesday, December 25, 2001 10:30 AM

1. Wish List
From: "carnut4849" <gmfm1_at_dml_att.net>

2. how fast was vin#502?
From: ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com

3. CARFAX reports
From: "The Atkinson Family" <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>

4. Re: new parking brake cross-reference
From: "dmcnorway" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>

5. Christmas Gift
From: "dmcnorway" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>

6. Crazy wiring. (was Fan Zilla)
From: "Adam Price" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Re: VIN TAGS was Car #501 (WAS: "Black" DeLoreans)
From: "Patrick Cowan" <LilRedCivic_at_dml_cox.rr.com>

8. Re: how fast was vin#502?
From: Robert Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

9. RE: how fast was vin#502?
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

10. Re: how fast was vin#502?
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

11. Original tires!
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

12. Car for sale
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

13. Re: Original tires!
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:36:57 -0000
From: "carnut4849" <gmfm1_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Wish List

Istead of heated outside mirrors, I would like to have the automatic
dimming mirrors similiar to the inside mirror that I have in my Grand
Marque and soon in my Delorean. By the way, when I checked at the
Mercury parts counter a year ago, the kit was about $50.00. The
mirror has a compass and the automatic dimming feature.

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 03:40:58 GMT
From: ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com
Subject: how fast was vin#502?

what car ever gained 230% on the power by adding a turbo or twin turbocharger.  These numbers do not make sense and I refuse to believe them.  Does anyone know real numbers?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 01:28:02 -0700
From: "The Atkinson Family" <mikeatk_at_dml_concentric.net>
Subject: CARFAX reports

Hi Group,

My CarFax subscription runs out next week.  If anyone needs one drop me the
vin and I'll send the report on to you.  Please include your e-mail address.

Merry X-Mas

Mike Atkinson

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:34:54 -0000
From: "dmcnorway" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>
Subject: Re: new parking brake cross-reference

Also, MINTEX MGB633AF M1136 can be used for front/rear brakepads

Best wishes for a classic holiday season
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:37:37 -0000
From: "dmcnorway" <delorean_at_dml_online.no>
Subject: Christmas Gift

Take a look at www.pearce-design.com

Must be the perfect Christmas gift for DeLorean owners.
From early next year the stainless frames will be ready for immediate
delivery. Also, there is an opportunity to buy an all-new stainless
steel heat stove!

Good thing that there are replacement parts!

Happy Holidays,
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 10:15:05 -0800
From: "Adam Price" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Crazy wiring. (was Fan Zilla)

My car has had an alteration to the fan wiring. THe relay was removed and
has been rewired so that it has a switch (in place of a dummy switch on the
console) and can be activated at any time the driver wants. Its actually
pretty sweet, I can turn the fans on whenever I think the engine is too
warm. The original operation is still there so the fans turn on when the
sensor detects about 210 degrees.

Now on a sad note. My auto transmission computer is crazy broken. I emailed
PJGrady last week to see if they still have their improved version but I
received no response. I imagine everyone is out for the holidays, but I want
this fixed as soon as possible! So if you read this Mr. Grady, please let me
know.

Thanks,
Adam Price 16683

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 00:59:24 -0500
From: "Patrick Cowan" <LilRedCivic_at_dml_cox.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: VIN TAGS was Car #501 (WAS: "Black" DeLoreans)

the VA DOT sends the case to a state trooper to come out and assign a VIN
after inspection by the trooper. Maybe your local State Police can answer
you're questions. Good Luck!

Patrick C.
1987 Chevrolet Camaro
1995 Honda Civic
1981 Delorean 12 ( I wish.....)

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:03:26 -0600
From: Robert Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>
Subject: Re: how fast was vin#502?

In looking at the reported performance numbers of #502, I agree it is important to look at them in perspective.  The legend engine was extensively modified.  The details of
which are unknown. However,  turboing an engine to use the turbos more effectively requires different camshafts, timing retards, higher rpm torque converter and lower rear end
ratio.

An very good comparison to the difference all this makes it the buick  3.8 liter engine.   The Buick GNX  is renown for its performance.  THe GNX resale value is higher than
what the cars sold for new and continues to be so.  The GNX set up more than doubled the performance of the car in 0-60 times and quarter mile speeds.

What this means is that these SAME changes had to be made to #502 to achieve the reported performance.

The most significant would be a lower rear end ratio and closer gear ratio in the trans.  Just lowering the rear end ratio of a stock engine car significantly changes its
performance with no change in the engine. The basic effect is to put the engine in a higher RPM range (and HP range ) at ordinary road speeds.  However, this has a negative
effect on MPG,.

In order to achieve 0-60 in under 6 seconds, you MUST have almost 300 HP for the weight of the D.  A 2.8 liter with the right caming, 6 psi of boost pressure with easily do
this.

What I find most intreging about the LEGEND set up in fuel management.  Turbo and supercharged D suffer from inadequate fuel management at higher rpm.  THis is compensated for
in many cases by over suppling fuel by shorting the computer to fuel rich.  (Sometimes even this is inadequate).  Based on my experience with Delorean engines,  legend has to
make changes to the bosch injectors to make their setup work properly.

Has anybody out there put larger injectors in this car?  I know I can easily do this on other cars that are hot rodded.

BoB

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 16:50:16 -0500
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

Once again, I will say that the Legend twin turbo engine (as found in
502) is not just a bolt on kit to the stock PRV-V6.

Most if not ALL of the engine internals have been changed.

Considering the fact that there are French sportscars ("Venturi") that
use the Bi-Turbo PRV-V6 engine that have 450HP from the factory, I don't
think 300HP is so hard to believe.

Marc

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 23:17:45 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

That's a very sweeping statement. Remember that the stock DeLorean engine is a european engine meant for a front engined car (exhaust points the wrong way), catalysed and
restricted to meet the emissions regulations at the time. At the time it was the best choice given money and time constraints. Let's face it, 130bhp from a 3litre V6 is paltry
even by 1981 standards (especially in Europe where a different version of the same engine, non-turbocharged achieved over 180bhp).

The millions that went into developing the engine at Legend when into realising its potential, and they did far more than just add blowers (which is what the Island kit does).
It's basically a new engine.

If you think that kind of power is unrealistic for that sized engine, you should check out what Nissan were up to barely 3 years later. A good mate of mine has a 1986 production
model Skyline, the GTS-R, developing 380bhp from a single turbo'd 2.0 litre strait 6. (yes, it's a "hidden" car in Gran Turismo 2 - apparently!)

Re-engineered properly, even by early 80's methods could produce a reliable roadgoing engine from the PRV-6 producing 300bhp. Have a look at some of the other work Legend did
(not information I have to hand - sorry!)

PS Please sign your name as well as your VIN - your car's 79 older than mine :-)

Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 15:37:03 +0000
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Original tires!

The original Good-Year Eagle NCT 60s are coming into question due to
more and more very low mileage cars being brought out and sold that
still have original tires.  I got one with a tad over 8000 miles on it
with original tires that look like new.  Now, what do you do with a 20
year old tire, do you trust it?   I first contacted two owners who ran
their original tires 30,000 miles or better and changed within the last
18 months, but only because the tread was wearing down, they had had no
problems with any of the tires.  I next sought the advice of Rob Grady
who very strongly feels that if the sidewalls are perfect there's no
reason not to use the tires.  I've now put a tad over 1000 miles on the
tires and they still look perfect, very little tread wear and still
great sidewalls.  I drive the car regularly, if any tire fault occurs,
I'll immediately post.

Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 06:29:26 +0000
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Car for sale

Latest car for sale on the DMC News page (Dec 22) is an '81 posted by
Joel Searls.  Over $10,000 spent on it in the past 3 years, appears to
have covered nearly all of the points of concern, asking $12,000 OBO.
Listed as mid-year, VIN and mileage not listed.  How can you beat
something like that?  As it reads, I paid $17,000 for less and still
think I got a good deal.

Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:45:13 EST
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Original tires!

My car has NCT's on them and there are 6K miles on them.  they have been well
taken care of and kept out of light and look like new.  The ride however is
horrible.  The tires are loud and hard, you feel every bump.  I have been in
cars with NCT's that were changed and the ride difference is very noticable.
I keep my car for concourse and not just for DeLorean Events so they have to
stay but if I were driving it everyday they would go for sure.
I have also seen tires not taken care of and they are cracked and dry rotted
and those tires I would think would be very unsafe.

Juts my 2 Cents