From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 847
Date: Sunday, December 30, 2001 9:34 PM

1. Engine will not turn over
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net

2. Re: Eratic engine idle when warm
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Eratic engine idle when warm
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

4. Re: DI water in cooling system???
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

5. Torsion Bar Problem
From: "Aaron PETERSON" <mrroboto1_at_dml_msn.com>

6. Lambda questions?? and other stuff...
From: "Adam Price" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Eratic engine idle when warm
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

8. Re: Part X-ref
From: "G Wells" <gwells_at_dml_totalise.co.uk>

9. dimensions
From: Grigor Maksudyan <delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Eratic engine idle when warm
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

11. Re: Re: LHD Cars
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

12. Re: Door Lock Module - some technical musings...
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

13. Re: Part X-ref
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

14. The Anti-DeLorean?
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

15. Re: Eratic engine idle when warm
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

16. Reverse/Manual Transmission
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

17. A fantastic community!
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

18. Cooling system flush
From: "edherrmann" <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Revsese WAS: Why the DeLorean?
From: "carnut4849" <gmfm1_at_dml_att.net>

20. Re: dimensions
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

21. Re: Eratic engine idle when warm
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Part X-ref
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

23. Re: Re: LHD Cars
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

24. Re: Lambda questions?? and other stuff...
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>

25. Starting Problem
From: "paulus260572" <paulus29_at_dml_eurobell.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:01:49 -0500
From: mrvideosawyer_at_dml_netscape.net
Subject: Engine will not turn over

Dear Group,
I went out to start car today and nothing happened.  Just the key is in buzzzer.  Door lights came on but very dim.  I charged battery and put back in car, door lights came on but still no start.  I cleaned battery terminals and wires.  Checked fuses and all was well.  Any ideas?  My wife and I put over 200 miles on car just last Friday with no mishap.
Thanks Jim

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop_at_dml_Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:36:14 EST
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Eratic engine idle when warm

Steve, When the car is seeking after warm up, it's usually the air flow meter
needs to be adjusted. If the 02 sensor wasn't working, then is normally
wouldn't seek. What it's trying to do is find the right air/fuel mixture. Use
a 3mm long handle allen wrench and adjust only when the engine is at
operating temp. Wrench cost about $2.50 at Sears, the rest is time. If you
replace the $43.00,, 02 sensor, Then the adjustment may have to be done again.
John hervey
   http://www.specialtauto.com/

<< Now my questions:
 1. Could there be something wrong in my Lambda circuit causing this
 such as a bad O2 sensor? No, It sounds like it's working.

 2. Could my frequency valve be bad? No, It sounds like it's working also
from your description.

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 06:23:04 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

The first thing that comes to mind would be to monitor the battery
voltage as the engine is going through these cycles. If the voltage
drops as the frequency valve is stopping and the goes up as the engine
speeds up it would seem to be either a battery, connection, cable, or
charging system problem. I would also watch the voltage on the lambda
relay, maybe it is a sensitive or bad relay or just a dirty
connection. I would think this is not a fuel system problem as much as
it might be an electrical problem. Maybe even a bad alternater that
can't put out enough at idle? If the freq valve was bad it wouldn't do
this, it just wouldn't work at all. Check the plug going to it for a
bad connection. Inspect the connections going to the idle motor too.

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 01:36:40 -0500
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: DI water in cooling system???

> Is it alright to use deionized water (with ethylene glycol) in the cooling
> system of the delorean or other automobiles?

Yes.  Deionized water is extremely pure but expensive to make.  When I say
'make', I mean that literally because generally it is produced in a chemical
reaction whose starting ingredients do not contain any water at all.  If you
can get your hands on this stuff cheap and easily then go for it.  I would
not use tap water except in extreme emergencies and then only for a short
time.

Now when you say "with ethylene glycol", I assume you are referring to
antifreeze in the generic term.  To take your question literally, it would
be a bad idea to fill your cooling system with only a mixture of deionized
water with ethylene glycol because you would be leaving out all of the
corrosion inhibiting and lubricating chemicals that you would get in an
off-the-shelf antifreeze product.

While you are at it, get one of DMC Joe's auto bleeder kits.  It is well
worth the trouble.  Sunstar even equipped all of their DeLorean model cars
with them. :)

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:43:21 -0600
From: "Aaron PETERSON" <mrroboto1_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Torsion Bar Problem

Hello,

I am experiencing problems with the driver side door torsion bar. It seems that a local body shop bent the bar, while replacing a door hinge, that the door will only stay half way up, even with a new strut on it. Is it possible for the bar to be bent back (the middle is bowed outward) without causing damage to the bar?

Aaron P.
car#7126

Take Pride in who you are!

Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 22:53:30 -0800
From: "Adam Price" <acprice1_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Lambda questions?? and other stuff...

I am wondering what the effects of no lambda sensor are? If the sensor broke
or if it was removed, would the engine idle more normally? Personally I dont
like the whole lambda circuit, it makes the car idle crazy.

If I just remove the sensor will it negate oxygen regulation/up and down
idle? How seriously will emmissions be affected, I would leave the catalytic
in place.

Also I was at the dmchouston webpage today and saw a photo of the HiPo
Engine. It looked like it has a different exhaust on it, I couldnt tell if
it had two catalytics, or if they were just pre muffler pipes.

I also have a rant about DMC Houston, D1, and probably all delorean parts
sites in general... Why are their darned console switches priced at 50.00
each? 50 dollars is pretty expensive for a crappy rocker switch. Has anyone
crossreferenced these switches?

Adam

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 02:04:36 -0500
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

> 1. Could there be something wrong in my Lambda circuit causing this
> such as a bad O2 sensor?

That isn't the first thing I would check.  But to check this anyway, unplug
the O2 sensor.  This should(*) cause the ECU to assume that the sensor
hasn't warmed up yet and will instead use its preprogrammed maps.  If this
stops your RPM fluctuations, then you have a faulty O2 sensor.  About my
(*), I'm going by what I've read in books and on the DML, but I have no
hands on experience doing this test, so I may be wrong.

> 2. Could my frequency valve be bad?

Not likely, but I think you could be close.  I would look for bad electrical
connections.  Unplug the connector going to the FV and look for corrosion
there.  Also check that you have a clean ground.  This is on the vertical
surface of the intake manifold just to the left of the FV.  If your
fluctuations in RPM are intermittent, then suspect a bad electrical
connection somewhere.  If it is rhythmic, then uh... gee, ... I dunno.  That
is somewhat normal on these cars but not to the degree that you are
experiencing.  Also check that your idle speed switch is connected and
working.  Your idle should never reach 10000 RPM.  Also check the electrical
connection to your idle speed motor the same as for the FV.  I once had a
corroded connection on my FV which caused the volume of the buzz to change
as I giggled the connector.  So since you hear changes in the volume of your
FV, I suspect that the cause of your problem is similar.  It is only the
duty cycle of the signal to the FV that changes -- not the amplitude.

The next time you experience these symptoms, check the voltmeter in your
instrument cluster.  It's not likely, but perhaps you have a wimpy Ducy
alternator that allows your battery to deplete by the time the engine warms
up.  That is if you are allowing the car to sit at idle until it warms up.

Walt    Tampa, FL

Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 05:51:18 -0000
From: "G Wells" <gwells_at_dml_totalise.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Part X-ref

The Vacuum solenoid is activated when the throttle idle switch makes
contact, i.e. when accelerating. The solenoid then allows vacuum to the
vacuum advance mechanism on the distributor. The only other thing to
remember is that until the engine reaches a certain temperature, the
vacuum supply goes to the warmup regulator. When the engine has reached
temp, the flow of vacuum is diverted by the Thermal control valve (part
no 30 page 2.4.0) to the solenoid valve, and on acceleration to the
vacuum advance.
As to cross over  ref, I don't know of a bosch no, but it may be worth
you having a word with local Volvo dealer. I'm sure some of the 760
models had emission control on them and the part might appear.
I have no idea why it should have been removed but the above might help
you decide why.
Graham

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 02:49:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Grigor Maksudyan <delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: dimensions

Hi,

I just wanted to know the official measurements of the DeLorean. (Length, width, height)

Please email me, thanks.

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:46:22 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Hi Steve!
I sure hope you wanted to say 700 - 1000 RPM ;). I don't think this engine
is even capable of reaching 10000.

You said that the car sat for 5 months. Did you drive it yet? Or was it just
idling? If you didn't drive it then go outside, get into your D and drive
it! It's FUN ;). Drive it for some 20 - 30 minutes - highway preferred. It
is possible that your O2 sensor might start working again. Of course if the
sensor has more than 30,000 miles on it it's time to replace it.

Hope this helps
Tom Niemczewski
VIN 6298 (FOR SALE)
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:02:09 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: LHD Cars

Gearsticks are a different matter. Although 19/20 cars in Europe have 1st forward, 2nd
back 3rd to the right of 1st etc, some (like Lamboughini and Ferrari) have 1st back, 2nd
forward etc etc. Left-to-right they're the same across the world.

The positioning of reverse is NOT changed on the RHD DeLoreans, and this is a bit of an
oversight IMO because it's pretty awkward to achieve with your left hand.

The positioning and operation of reverse is different across pretty much every
manufacturer even today (and here in Europe the ratio of 5-speed to automatics is still
10:1), though many are now putting it "behind" 5th, with a special latch to stop you
accidentally changing down into reverse from 5th.

I have not driven a car that has the same linkage as the DeLorean. The old mini metro
required you to lift the stick, but reverse was next to 4th. My Citroen BX requires you
to lift a ring under the knob, and push it next to 1st, The old VW Passat requires you to
push down on the gearstick and place it behind 5th.

And so on...

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:43:15 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Door Lock Module - some technical musings...

Hi John

It seems to me that you were working with a working module :-) I had the benefit of
Paul's broken one to play with which resulted in my finding this design oversight of "the
missing diode" causing the transistor on one side to blow as soon as the arcing in the
relay got bad enough. It blew my first replacement transistor on the first go. Without
the addition of the diode to that side of the circuit, this will keep happenning. With
the addition of a further two diodes, you can protect against the other possible source
of popping those all-important trannies.

By replacing the capacitors, working or otherwise, you are safeguarding yourself against
the "phantom battery drain" which afflicts a number of cars (NB you CAN'T test the
current drain of the module by plonking an ammeter between the circuit breaker and the
big red wire - this is purely the supply to the solenoids, and not to the board).

I cannot see how the linkage in the lock mechanism could electrically cause the module to
continually power up the solenoids - this only happens due to the relays welding
themselves shut. You can simulate this by un plugging the module, and locking one door,
with the other unlocked. Then plug the module in and take a voltage across both
capacitors - neither will show a reading greater than a couple of volts. Without a
voltage in these capacitors, neither relay can engage and neither solenoid can fire.

I do not expect my circuit breaker to ever have to work now. I have seen some photos of
your replacement relays, but IMO having open-to-the-air units that size for this
application is asking for trouble. The units I'm using are these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/details.php?cartid=0112301242421456778&moduleno=25603&manufacturer=Siemens

All the best

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:32:11 EST
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

In a message dated 12/29/2001 11:48:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk writes:

<<
 What does this solenoid do and is there any reason for it to be removed
 on an engine with the Island twin kit? >>

On the twin turbo it is not used.

Sincerely,

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:34:48 EST
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: The Anti-DeLorean?

    While catching up on my snail mail, I stumbled on an article in the
November 26, 2001, issue of Forbes magazine. On page 52 there is an article
"The Anti-DeLorean?"
    The article is about another eccentric automobile industrialist that
wants to remanufacture the Dusenberg automobile.
    The article goes on to compare and "CON-trast" John DeLorean Vs
Dusenberg's newest visionary...piety.

Regards,
Michael

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:01:08 EST
From: jwit6_at_dml_cs.com

In a message dated 12/29/01 11:53:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
srubano_at_dml_optonline.com writes:

<< 1. Could there be something wrong in my Lambda circuit causing this
 such as a bad O2 sensor?

The O2 Sensor is easy to check. After full warm up it can be tested with a
digital volt meter. It should produce between .9 DC volts when running rich
(approx 12 to 1) and  .1 DC volts when lean (approx 17 to1). They are
generaly not used to control idle mixture or during full throttle operation,
rather just for cruise.
Jim 6147

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:00:52 +0000
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Reverse/Manual Transmission

Owner's Handbook:

"To select reverse it is necessary to LIFT UP on the gear lever knob
whilst moving lever to it's position."

I still say that's a tough maneuver, much more so than with other
shifters.  It's a part of the uniqueness of the car, I like it, I wasn't
knocking it, I was just pointing it out.  One huge benefit in my world,
I tell my wife it's too hard for her to drive a DeLorean, citing this,
along with other reasons (steering,. clutch, etc.).  So far she's kept
out of them, a definite plus.

10059 & 17160

Happy New Year!

Les

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:24:26 -0700
From: "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: A fantastic community!

Hey all,
        I wanted to drop the list a message to say thanks to Hank and Mimi
Breer.  They responded to my post about being in Southern California for the
holiday.  My girlfriend and I met with them today as they invited us to
their home yesterday.  All I can say is it is great to have such wonderful
people in our community!
        Hank and Mimi are very warm and funny.  We enjoyed talking DeLoreans
with them for the afternoon.  They also have some wonderful items made up
such as the DeLorean car embossed on a variety of shirts and bags.  I am
definitely going to have to pick up a few for the "post holiday I-Love-Me"
gifts....:)
        We're very luck to have these people in our circle.  I'm coming back
to the San Fernando Valley quite a bit next year and I will definitely look
them up again.  If you have any interest in talking about the car and
spending some time with real enthusiasts, these are the folks to talk with.
After meeting Hank and Mimi I can say I know what "Live the Dream" means.
They do it every day....:)

Matthew

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:19:17 -0000
From: "edherrmann" <edherrmann_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cooling system flush

What is the best way to flush out the cooling system. Should I just
remove one of the coolant hoses. I saw an item in the store by
Prestone where you can attatch an in line tee to the heater hose so
you can run water from your yard hose and flush it out while running
the engine. Is their another way by using the yard hose and running
the engine. Thanks.  Ed  10078, 16228

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:09:26 -0000
From: "carnut4849" <gmfm1_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Revsese WAS: Why the DeLorean?

Dear Paul,
     On all of the 5 speed manuals that I have seen, when you shift
into reverse, you have to lift the shifter up and pull it the last
amount to the left and down to get into reverse. This is a saftey, so
that you don't go into reverse accidently. If the pin on the shifter
was removed or if the plate that the pin rides on was altered one
could go into reverse without lifting the shifter. If you are happy
with it you can leave it or you can find out why it isn't set up this
way.
Happy Holidays,
Gary Masie

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:20:34 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: dimensions

Check out the brochures on Tamir's site www.entermyworld.com

One of them shows the later prototype, with fill dimensions down to the mm. I used it as a
reference for getting shipping quotes.

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 19:24:05 EST
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 12/30/01 7:12:24 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl writes:

<< Did you drive it yet? Or was it just
 idling? If you didn't drive it then go outside, get into your D and drive
 it! It's FUN ;). >>
Uhh...Tom...Steve can't quite drive the car yet since hes in the middle of a
frame off restoration on it.

Later,
Nick
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/njp548">http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>
Happy New Years!

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:27:19 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Thanks Mike - can you expand on why? I like technical explanations :-)

Thanks to Dave Stragand, we did get hold of a copy of the Island kit installation
instructions, and though I haven't read through them myself, I did ask Jason (who has) if
it was meant to be removed, and he said he couldn't find anything.

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:33:15 +0800
From: "ian" <ian_at_dml_netvigator.com>

Baloney Martin,

Thank god the gearstick is the same on rhd and lhd. Could you imagine the
problems folks like myself, Chris Parnham, Mark Bourne, Dave Howarth, etc
would have when we get out of our lhd-DMC and into our rhd-DMC ... it would
be mayhem trying to remember which way to change gear!!!

Cheers,           IAN
*****************

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:38:56 +0000
From: Les Huckins <jhuckins_at_dml_cybersurfers.net>
Subject: Re: Lambda questions?? and other stuff...

Check out the writeup by Knut, tech section of the DMC News page, it addresses this
exactly.

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 01:12:10 -0000
From: "paulus260572" <paulus29_at_dml_eurobell.co.uk>
Subject: Starting Problem

Hello all,

The problem I'm having on starting is this sometimes when I crank the
car over its like the battery is flat and there's hardly any reading
on the volt gauge then all of a sudden the car will start and be fine.
I just put new starter motor on and when I test the battery with a
meter on tick over its about 13.7 volts and rises when you accelerate.
Any ideas?
P.s.I have a delco alternator but don't know what model?

Cheers Paul.