From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1007
Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:16 PM

1. RE: DeLorean Financiers?
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

2. brake paint
From: "john572905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Re: Leaky Windshield
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

4. Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

5. Re: "Engine Number" location
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

6. Re: PNDC Tech Day/Auto Trans Problem
From: Aaron King <floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com>

7. Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

8. What size
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

9. RE: it's the Bricklorean, again
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>

10. Re: it's the Bricklorean, again
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. RE: Re: CO screw plug
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

12. Minnesota Spring Meet
From: "Jim Reeve"<ultra_at_dml_isd.net>

13. adjusting door?
From: "miami5606" <miami5606_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Group praise and unabashed joy
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

15. Rivet Nuts again..
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

16. Re: it's the Bricklorean, again
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

17. Re: brake paint
From: "A.H. MacIntosh & Co." <dmc12_at_dml_mlecmn.net>

18. DeLorean Mid Alantic Spring Social...1st class people
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

19. RE: "Engine Number" location
From: "Jerry Condray" <genghis_at_dml_sctelcom.net>

20. RE: Rear Sway Bar Installation
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

21. Re: Mid_Atlantic Spring Social
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

22. Re: PNDC Tech Day/Auto Trans Problem
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

23. Re: adjusting door?
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

24. Re: adjusting door?
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

25. Re: brake paint
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 00:45:39 -0400
From: "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: DeLorean Financiers?

http://www.jjbest.com/
Its the way to go!

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 04:41:54 -0000
From: "john572905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: brake paint

I am in the process of sand blasting and painting the rear suspension
and brakes on my D. I there a really good paint for paint the disc
brake componants

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 00:09:46 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Leaky Windshield

Dick,

Where is the leak?

DMC Joe
Tech Information, DMC Joe Help Club, & Store
"Summer Parts Sale"
http://shopping.oraclesmallbusiness.com/dsvstore
DeLorean Website Directory www.dmc.tv

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 00:40:42 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: The Resurrection of Vixen Continues...

Dave,

You said:
        ".......I installed a spring in the suction tube last week, so I can
rule out the tube collapsing when warm"

Try the following test. Disconnect the suction hose from the bottom of the
pump and conduct your previous test. The high pressure high volume fuel pump
needs unrestricted fuel flow through the pick-up line. The spring may be
restricting the flow of fuel and or creating cavitation.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 00:25:16 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: "Engine Number" location

Yes; the engine ID, date of manufacture are stamped just below the LH valve
cover. The engine SN is stamped onto a separate plate which is the plate I
was describing. The cat. converter ID is stamped directly on the converter.

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:55:25 -0700
From: Aaron King <floodle_at_dml_subdimension.com>
Subject: Re: PNDC Tech Day/Auto Trans Problem

Nick,

I live in the area, but I was unable to make it to the tech session.  I wish I
could have been there.

Ok, now for the bad news.  I own vin #1217, which has the automatic
transmission.  A while ago, I experienced *exactly* the same thing that
happened to you, namely, none of the gears worked.  Pressing on the gas just
resulted in the engine revving and nothing else.  As it turns out, I had a
blown clutch pack and had to have the transaxle rebuilt.  Yeah, it was super
lame.  I had Brad Bean send it to a shop that had done work on this
transmission before.  It required a few hours of labor to drop the transaxle,
shipping it to this place, and another couple of hours to put it back in
after all the work was completed.  In my case, they even had to machine me a
new first gear (I think it was, I can't remember for certain).  Whee.  I'm no
mechanic, but your problem sounds eerily similar to how mine started out.

Sorry to be the bearer of (possibly) bad news.

Aaron King
Bothell, WA
vin#1217

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 02:47:04 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

David, The short version is replace the warm up regulator. ( CPR ) I have
New, Used and rebuilt. Which ever to fit the pocket book. The long version
would be to email privately.
John Hervey
 http://www.specialtauto.com/warmupreg.shtml

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:27:17 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: What size

I need to remove my  NUT,STUB AXLE.INNER.RH  part no 108514 to change my
front discs, however I will have to go and buy a socket as I don't have one
large enough. What size is it? it looks around a 32mm.

Cheers

www.paul.salsbury.btinternet.co.uk

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 06:14:03 -0500
From: "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: RE: it's the Bricklorean, again

No, it's a PRV6, Peugeot, Volvo, Renault

Scott Mueller
002981
scott.a.mueller (at) att.net

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:45:03 -0000
From: "erikgeerdink" <erikgeerdink_at_dml_yahoo.com>

No, its Peugot (sp?)....wait.....ITS ALL THREE

Peugot
Renault
Volve

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:50:13 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: RE: Re: CO screw plug

As I've indicated in my particular endeavor, the "tamper proof" plug is not
wholly tamper proof. Everyone knows what it takes to get the thing out...
well mine decided to just come a little loose on its own, just enough to
hear the air hissing through it. Now my car has an angry hornet and a
slightly irritaded snake in the engine compartment. I plan to lose the snake
shortly.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:06:37 GMT
From: "Jim Reeve"<ultra_at_dml_isd.net>
Subject: Minnesota Spring Meet

Just one more reminder that MNDMC, the Minnesota DeLorean Club will be having
its spring meeting this Saturday at 12:00 noon.  It is being held at Latuff's
Pizzeria in Plymouth, MN.  The address is 11255 Hwy 55 PLYM MN 55441-6099.
If anybody needs directions, please email me.  The restaurant is also interested
in a head count, to know approximately what to prepare for.  So if you know
your can make it, please let me know.  My email is ultra(at)isd.net or you can
also contact me by pager at 612-589-5997 if necessary.  See you this Saturday.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC-6960

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:52:52 -0000
From: "miami5606" <miami5606_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: adjusting door?

has anyone adjusted the door alignment.
Seems like the door is hitting the aft stricker early.
can this be done by loosening the 2x2 bolts holding the door on the
hinge.

Thanks Hugo

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:56:20 -0400
From: Travis Goodwin <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: Group praise and unabashed joy

You guys have saved me again. After the tune-up and subsequent problems, the
car is running better than it ever has. My idle is down to 850 RPM and
acceleration is much better (it will improve even more once I take care of a
few more tiny vacuum leaks). My jerry-rigged CPR finally died and I never
recognized it. A quick swap with one from a Volvo dealership and the idle
came down. It also eliminated the rich mixture that made my eyes water when
I would have to be in the engine compartment.

Joe was right about the vaccum solenoid I had purchased, the intake and
outlet tubes were reversed. Having hooked it up exactly like the one I had
before, the car would rev and be over-advanced. A quick tubular swap and it
timing is right on the money.

With the smoother idle and better acceleration, the car is running better
than it has the whole time I have owned it.

Thanks a million guys.

Travis

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:04:08 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: Rivet Nuts again..

The archive has some discussion on this, with people discussing JC Whitney as a source for Rivet nuts and tool to install them.  However, I am unable to locate a METRIC tool in their catalog.

Does anyone have a source for a metric rivet nut tool??

While I am asking, anyone know off hand what sizes are used on the DeLorean?  I believe there are 2 major sizes.  I noticed the ones that hold the washer bottle under the left fender look a bit smaller than the ones in the luggage compartment.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:21:51 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 4/29/02 10:54:59 PM Central Daylight Time, Whalt_at_dml_att.net
writes:

> > Yea, but the engine IS renault!
>
> No!  It's Volvo.

NO! it's both! P-R-V = Peugot - Renault - Volvo.  it was designed as an
engine that all three manufactures could use but no one really ended up using
much.  Volvo used the designs later in other cars, like the Eagle Premier.
it was designed by people from all three companines.

Andy

Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:01:41 -0500
From: "A.H. MacIntosh & Co." <dmc12_at_dml_mlecmn.net>
Subject: Re: brake paint

POR-15... it's not going to be original, but the trade off is as close to a
"bomb-proof" paint as can be found.

You can get a good match with original coating by mixing the white, and gray
"hardnose" topcoat. They also have a clear coating for bare metal.

I was amazed at the abuse this stuff could withstand.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:05:46 EDT
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: DeLorean Mid Alantic Spring Social...1st class people

    This goes out to everyone that made this weekend possible...
                                 ;-)

 I know that a smiley face is only a small token of appreciation, however
when I was a small child I can remember how special we would feel when we
received one for a job well done. This weekend all of us felt like a kid
again!

    This DeLorean event was a very successful event thanks to the current
membership and future members involved with Mid Atlantic DeLorean club. The
enthusiasm from the people in attendance this year was incredible and the
number of owners formally living from the West Coast and Southern States
grows larger & larger every year...myself included.

    Thank you very much Mr. Olans for the compliment with regard to the Mid
Atlantic spring social, the fuel pump return line-switch-a-roo, and power
window track alignment. I was actually only up to my fingertips in
gasoline...up to my elbows inside the gullwing doors resetting the power
windows that fell of track.  Thanks Mr. Rob Grady for the gloves and for the
use of the tools.

    Mr. & Mrs. Grady made my life easier owning a DeLorean, and I can report
that many owners this weekend have commented that thanks to Rob & Debby
Grady, they have learned multitudes about how easy DeLorean ownership can be.
 The correct DeLorean parts & service is the first step in learning about
DeLorean ownership.  The Mid Atlantic DeLorean community has always been
sincerely thankful for Rob Grady's dedication and enthusiasm throughout the
past 21 years. Additionally, Mr. Grady was the recipient of an Award of
Recognition & Appreciation from the Mid Atlantic DeLorean club for the years
of outstanding dedication to the DMC community.

    I would like to personally thank Mr. Dan Deutsch, Mr. Gary Gore, and Mr.
& Mrs. Scott Tice for taking charge and organizing this years event. The
officers of Mid Atlantic have been instrumental keeping us all entertained.
This is a rare group of DeLorean owners that can keep their enthusiasm for
the car throughout the years. I was very happy to see Dan awarded a special
recognition award from the Mid-Atlantic DeLorean club, President Scott Tice.
    In addition, Mr. Gary Gore and his immaculate DeLorean was awarded Best
in Show...again!!!! Congratulations Gary!!!!

    Kathy Tice has given us wonderful suggestions and ideas to entertain our
significant others at future events. It is only fair that we incorporate an
afternoon excursion with shuttle service to a women's DaySpa or similar
venue, while DMC owners are adjusting Gullwing doors & talking DeLorean shop.
I would like to incorporate her ideas into the next Maryland Washington, DC
event.

    In addition, I would like to thank Mr. Jim Reeve, Mr. Matt Olans and Mr.
& Mrs. David Teitelbaum for their remarkable enthusiasm and support. David
has generously devoted a multitude of energy and time to assist DMC owners,
adjusting Gullwing doors and offering his advice. If you have an opportunity
to watch David on video, adjusting the doors on Kevin Abato's 2001 social
page, you can witness for yourself how much David and his lovely wife Sue,
cherish their DeLorean and how meticulous David is adjusting those Gullwing
doors. In addition, many thanks to Mr. David Teitelbaum for the free use of
the rare Back to the Future Pinball machine.

    Mr. Jim Reeve & Mr. Matt Olans, both very nice gentlemen from Minnesota &
Arizona respectively, volunteered their time and energy to assist many owners
with a multitude of DeLorean projects throughout the day. Their positive,
giving, open and willing can-do attitudes to assist DeLorean owners in a
pinch this weekend helped us accomplishing everything we set out to do.

    I would also like to thank, in no particular order, the following people
for their attendance and enthusiasm:

 Mr. Harold McElraft
Mary & Dick Lash,
 Carol & Tom Griepenburg,
Bob & Doris Petruska,
 Aldo Buono,
Mr. & Mrs. David Sontos,
 Mr. & Mrs. Murray Smith,
 Mr. Brent Lundgren,
Mr. Kevin Abato,
Mr. Jeremy Delany & his guest,
Mr. Gary Maise and Jan,
 Mr. Mike Cohee,
Mr. Mike DeLuca,
Mr. Marc Levy & Ms. Laura McGee,
 Steve & George of Don's Jaguar Service,

    And to each and every DeLorean owners in attendance that made a
spectacular weekend come to fruition. If we can keep this level of
attendance, enthusiasm and support for future DeLorean events we will grow to
become one of the most successful Automobile clubs in classic car history.

    Best Wishes,
    Michael Pack

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:13:57 -0500
From: "Jerry Condray" <genghis_at_dml_sctelcom.net>

I found the aluminum plate rivited just ahead of the CAT at the lower edge,
covered with grime.  I tried mirrors, lights but until I saw a photo of the
cleaned up installation near the base of the dipstick, I was lost.
Thanks for the help.

Jerry.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:55:37 -0500
From: "Mike Griese" <mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Sway Bar Installation

Toby - From the looks of your photos, I have a concern
that the mounting points for the rear ARB are going to
cause the same "oil can" problem that the front ARB
has.  I have noticed while jacking my car up that the
part of the frame you use as attachment points is
pretty flexible under load.  Did you put a backing
plate on the other side of the frame?

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:58:10 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Mid_Atlantic Spring Social

All three brass screws should be lighly seated closed by turning
clockwise but the only one that really matters is the lowest one with
a cut in the head for a screwdriver. The other two can usually be
found open all the way but if the first is closed since it feeds the
other 2 then they don't matter.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:07:42 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Before you go crazy and pull the trans there is a simple test to check
the health of the trans.
 Check the fluid level and do a line pressure test. If you don't have
correct line pressure then the problem is internal and serious. If you
do have line pressure then it could be as simple as a problem with the
shift cable. A blown C-1 clutch pack is a strong possibility though.

  I ran into a problem on the way home. About 40 miles

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:15:31 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: adjusting door?

DO NOT TOUCH THE SCREWS ON THE DOOR HINGES!!!!!
 These should never be touched unless the car was in an accident or
the door was removed. To adjust the door from hitting the lock pins
the pins themselves are loosened and adjusted. If there is not enough
room to adjust them the holes in the fiberglass are enlarged. They
must hit evenly front and back when the car is on level ground. Stay
away from the torsion bars with tools as if they get scratched they
will break. BTW before you can touch the door hinges you must remove
the torsion bar.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:28:55 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <webmaster_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Have you tried adjusting the striker pin?

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:19:56 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

Go to www.eastwoodcompany.com. They have a new high temperature paint
for painting brake calipers. It isn't cheap but I have used many of
their products and have always been happy with the results. I have not
tried this particular product yet. It comes in several colors.