From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1008
Date: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 4:50 AM

From: "Casey Putsch" <chaparral2a002_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

From: "Christopher M. Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>

From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

From: thai vu <thaiqvu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "dmcjohn" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>

From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>

From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

16. was: it's the Bricklorean, again
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>

17. Re: Door seals PLEASE
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:58:55 -0400
From: "Casey Putsch" <chaparral2a002_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: ball joints bad and replacement?

Hey guys, wanted to run this by you all before I start ripping things apart.
I am thinking I have a ball joint on the right side going bad as when I go
over certain bumps the right front clunks. I know that it is not a bad wheel
bearing or steering rack as there is no play in the wheel. Also, sometimes
when I drive the car the alinement is perfect but other times the steering
wheels shakes and feels to pull to the side a bit. My wheels where just
balanced too. Sound about right? How tough are these babies to fix and How
much do they cost?

Casey at chaparral2a002_at_dml_hotmail.com

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:13:07 -0700
From: "William F. Lane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Rivet Nuts again..

Marc,

As far as I can tell, no one makes a metric version.  I took one of the
ASE inserts and turned some blanks on my lathe and then as I needed a
particular size, I would turn the threaded end to size and thread it
with a metric die.  Anyone with a lathe and milling machine or a machine
shop can make these for you very easily and cheaply.

Bill Lane

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:02:16 +0100
From: "Christopher M. Hawes" <chris_at_dml_hawes74.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Wheel Nuts

Does anyone know the dimensions of the DeLorean wheel nuts???

I need to replace at least one and would like to compliment the newly redone
wheels and brand new Pirelli tyres with a new set of 16 that arrive on
Friday from the alloy refurbishment company.

www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk

I noticed that the old Michelin tyres consisted of 205's rather than the
correct 195's at the front, I am looking forward to the change in
handling....

vin 5255 in the UK

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:35:20 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Financiers?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "Kevin Abato" <delorean_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> http://www.jjbest.com/
> Its the way to go!

I called this place a couple of years ago. The guy on the phone
seemed pretty nice untill I mentioned DeLorean. He just said, "oh".
When he took down my info, it sounded like a chore to him at that
point. Needless to say, I didn't get the loan. And as a matter of
fact, if you check the archives, you'll also find another DML'er who
had a great deal of problems trying to secure financing for a
DeLorean thru them too.

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:23:53 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Room available at Heartbreak hotel

Hi list-
I just had to cancel my reservation at the Heartbreak Hotel for Ken's show.
:(
Scheduling problems, not the least being my son's high school graduation.
He's the Valedictorian so no way can we skip that.  (We can't complain, since
we got to go to Ireland for Rob's show last year!)  If anyone still needs a
room, they said it will be available for a DeLorean show attendee... while it
lasts.

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:43:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: thai vu <thaiqvu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Door seals PLEASE

Hi members,
I'm helping out our company sponsored Employees
Community Fund (ECF) events.  They are holding a free
classics car show for the employees and mine will be
the only DeLorean there along with a couple of 1932
and 1934 Fords, etc.,

My door seals are bad and I don't want a bad DeLorean
image, so where is the best place to get some new door
seals?

BTW, ECF is non-profit organization and helping out
the communities in need of help.
Thanks,
TV

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:49:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Mid_Atlantic Spring Social

David T. is correct - as usual.  However, there is an
exception.  And, if you drive long fast interstate
trips like I do, this is something you should know.

Check the DeLorean Workshop Manual, L;12:01.  Here
you'll see that for "high speed" driving the
recommended pressures are 29 PSI front and 34 PSI
rear.

Admittedly, "high speed" is not defined, but this was
written in 1981 when most speed limits were 55/65 mph.
 I travel hours at a stretch at 75+ mph so I suspect
that qualifies as "high speed".  Before I go on any of
these long distance trips I inflate the fronts to at
least 27 PSI and the rears to 34 PSI.

Dick Ryan

http://health.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:41:51 -0000
From: "aaron_t_graham" <aaron_t_graham_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Body rust

Believe it or not, I've got rust on the body.

I hit a deer in January and needed to have my front driver's side
body panel fixed (since those panels are no longer in stock at DMC
Houston).  DMC did a great job with the repairs, but there's a
spattering of tiny rust spots on the front of that body panel.

From what I can tell, it's probably iron (maybe from the deer blood?)
that has gotten into the little grooves in the brushed texture and
started to oxidize.  It looks really bad.

How do I go about getting rid of this unsightly mess?  Will blending
pads do the trick?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:45:45 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: heater

Just took delivery of #17707. Low miles (39,000 kms) and in very good overall condition and driveability. The problem is the heater. After warming the car to driving temperature, I can hear vent doors opening and closing when I turn the control dial that's on the dash. It "clicks" going into coldest air conditioning setting, but does not "click" going into hotest heat setting. However, no heat is coming out of the floor vents or console or defroster vents. The temperature gauge is on the first line. On the previous car the temperature gauge went to just under the first line. If there was poor circulation of antifreeze through the cooling lines, wouldn't the engine overheat? Antifreeze looks fresh and clean. Any thoughts?

Marvin Stein
was '83 #???? was '81 #4239, now '83 #17707
Printed Drinkware Company
924 Dundas Street
London, Ontario, Canada N5W 3A1
website: printeddrinkware.com
email: marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com
tel:  519-434-1666
fax: 519-434-7071

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:55:37 -0500
From: "B Benson" <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: brake paint

Eastwood has a paint specificly made for brake calipers.It's a two part
process and is a bit expensive. Check out www.eastwoodcompany.com.

Bruce benson

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:01:44 -0000
From: "dmcjohn" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: anyone need lift to memphis?

Hi everybody!

I'm thinking of going to the show in Memphis with my DeLorean, its
getting really late for booking it (I still haven't got my tickets,
but I intend to get them in a few days tops. Anyway, if I do go to
the show, I have an empty seat in my car, so I'm looking for someone
to ride down with me - its a long drive from Boston on your own!
Also, if I do go, I might be caravanning down beside Hank Eskin in
his DeLorean! Hank lives only a few minutes from my house...
So, for those that are interested, here are the details...

I'm Irish, 22 years old, living and working in Boston, MA. Don't
worry I'm very easygoing, and I'm sure we'll have a great time
driving down to Memphis and back! I'd be talking about driving around
400 to 500 miles a day or so to get there and on the way back.
My car is a september 1981, black leather, 5 speed, with nearly
16,000 miles. It is well able for the trip, I have put nearly 4000
miles on it with no problems since I got it in PA at the end of
February. It is in really nice shape, and has a great sound system,
so you'd be of course welcome to bring whatever music you like to
listen to...
So anybody, any age, from somewhere sort of close to Boston/New York
(I can pick you up within reason!) that is interested in going to
Memphis in my D with me, please email me at this address:

john.dore "AT" fidelity.com

or you can phone me...

home: (617) 787 1136
work: (617) 563 7909

but please contact me as soon as you can so I can decide for definite
that I am going and then I'll ask for the time off work!

OK, thats all, any questions, call me.
PS Any 22 or so year old girls need a lift down!??

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christian Williams <delorean_at_dml_framezero.com>
Subject: Re: adjusting door?

The best thing to do first it to adjust the striker pins (if you haven't).
You can just use a wrench to loosen it a bit, move it down, and tighten it
back up. Further from there, I haven't attempted yet (even though I need
to since no ammount of striker pin moving has helped me much yet).

-Christian

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:07:05 -0500
From: Travis Graham <tgraham_at_dml_noroads.com>
Subject: Poll on past Car Show attendance

Hello fellow DML'ers

Here's an interesting question: How many of this year's Memphis car show
attendees came to previous events?  Let's find out!  You can see live
results too:

http://www.sitemason.com/poll/d0qjWo

See you in Memphis!

Travis Graham

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:46:33 EDT
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: it's the Bricklorean, again

In a message dated 04/30/2002 11:00:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
scott.a.mueller_at_dml_att.net writes:

<<  PRV6, Peugeot, Volvo, Renault >>

    Some of you are correct when you mention that the DMC-12 engine is from
Renault Alpine A310.

    I have uploaded pictures of the Renault engine, utilized in the DeLorean
& Renault Alpine A310.

    The block utilized in the DeLorean DMC-12, a very reliable unit is from
the Renault Alpine A310 V-6. There were only a small number of these cars
imported into the USA by American Motors/Renault USA in 1988 to compete with
the Corvette before American Motors/Renault USA went bankrupt. When Chrysler
purchased AMC/Renault they discontinued the Alpine A310/610 turbo with
P.Renault.V. engine due to Chryslers subsequent purchase of Lamborghini at
Lee Iaccoca behest. As you know the Viper V-10 was the love child of the
marriage between Chrysler and Lamborghini engineers.
    The Alpine cars produced from the late 1960s through the mid 1990s are
very exotic, fast, reliable and fun. Why on earth do you want to compare the
exotic DeLorean engine to a Volvo engine? The only similarity between the two
engines is a handful of parts and the factory in France where they came from.

    The Volvo 760 Eagle Premier, the Renault Recreational vehicle, Alpine
A310/610 turbo and Peugeot 604 has different parts and engine blocks. Some
have EFI and some are Webber carburetors, while some have Bosch K-Jetronic
CIS.

    New owners get scared when it is necessary to replace the BOSCH fuel
injection parts due to improper storage techniques. When service & maintained
properly the PRV engine is a very reliable unit.

        The common cause of engine failure is from lack of cooling system
maintenance and infrequent oil changes. There are no known structural or
engineering defects in the DeLorean PRV V-6.
    The common cause of no start problems in DeLoreans are Bosch Fuel
Injection parts that are full of contaminants.

    The transmission in the DeLorean are reliable Renault units. They need no
more preventive maintenance than those from other suppliers.

Best Wishes,
Michael Pack

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:22:52 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

I love confusion!

I think we should rename the Delorean the ENIGMA.
Duke should swear that the stock engine was the 4.3L vortec,
Darryl should swear that the stock engine was supercharged.
I will start telling people that it was originally a Mazda 3-rotor.

Why would someone not believe me?.... The D already has english
electrical and suspension parts, a german fuel system, founded by a guy
from the US, built in ireland and designed by an italian, transmission
was french/netherlands.....  did I miss any other nationalities?  Who
would refute a little Japanese in the mix as well...?

I will spread the word.  I want to know how long it will take before word
gets out to someone on the list.... I will start by telling Kevin Bacon
and we will go from there...

Jim 1537
owner of the only stock mazda 3.rotor left...  a serious collector item!

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:41:23 -0400
From: "DMC Joe" <dmcjoe_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: was: it's the Bricklorean, again

(Moderators note - I think we all agree with Joe on this - thread is now dead
 - Marty, this weeks moderator)

OK; that's it! Lets free up some room on the list and end this squabble
concerning the DeLorean engine.

Here are the facts:
The engine used in the DeLorean is a modified version of the Volvo B-28F
model # 498675. The B-28F is the most popular version of a family of engines
named PRV-6 built by Societe Franco-Suedoise de Moteurs in Douvrain France.
The engine manufacturing plant is a consortium made up from Peugeot,
Renault, and Volvo (PRV). The B-28F was most widely used in top of the line
Volvo sedans designated  260 GLE and 760 GLE. This accounted for over 90% of
all applications of this engine.

Peugeot used another version of the PRV-6 in the 604 and 505 STX models and
Renault fitted the PRV-6 in the Renault 30 and Alpine A310. Other versions
of this workhorse were used in 1990 Dodge Monaco and Eagle Premier.

Volvo also used this engine in its limited production 780 luxury coupe. New
crated engines are still available from DeLorean Motor Co Houston TX.

DMC Joe
Tech Information, DMC Joe Help Club, & Store
"Summer Parts Sale"
http://shopping.oraclesmallbusiness.com/dsvstore
DeLorean Website Directory www.dmc.tv

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 23:35:04 EDT
From: Senatorpack_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: Re: Door seals PLEASE

PJ Grady DeLorean sells a complete kit. It was installed on my 1981 as there
are two different version of the seals. 800-350-7429. Never had a leak and
the new seals made the interior much quieter.

Best Wishes,
Michael Pack