From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1014
Date: Monday, May 06, 2002 2:53 AM

1. RE: UK Exhausts
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

2. struts
From: "paulkane45" <paulkane45_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. DeLorean Car Show Panoramic Pictures
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: Braided fuel lines
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

5. delorean website
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>

6. Re: Details of Pre?production car on ebay?
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>

7. Re: Braided fuel lines
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

8. Re: Braided fuel lines
From: "dmcman82" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. I drove my car off of a cliff today.
From: "cdrugly" <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>

10. vacuum to heater valve
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>

11. Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust
From: "rendy_cheng" <rcheng_at_dml_eng.umd.edu>

12. Re: Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: struts
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Re: Braided fuel lines
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

15. Autozone led's
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_attbi.com>

16. Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

17. Re: Does one seal one's tires?
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

18. Re: Final comments on Pre-production car on ebay?
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

19. Re: Braided fuel lines
From: "shainbrannan" <shain_at_dml_elecmods.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 14:39:49 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: RE: UK Exhausts

chrisparnham_at_dml_cwcom.net writes:

> This post is primarily aimed at UK members, but if any of USA boys want one
> we would be looking at about $1200 will shipping.( contact me direct
> chrisparnham_at_dml_ntlworld.com )

Hi Chris-
I shouldn't even be thinking about this... I'm still paying off my credit
card bill from  work done on my D last winter, but I have to ask: I presume
having no cat is flat out illegal in the US, isn't it?  This has come up in
the past but I've never particularly followed it closely.  I'll post this to
the list for US respondents, too.

Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 20:36:46 -0000
From: "paulkane45" <paulkane45_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: struts

Hey guys and gals,

i am in the process of buying a delorean and it needs new struts for
the doors. I was wondering if i need to buy the new struts from an
actual delorean dealer or if i can just run out and grab em at a
local auto dealer.

I wouldnt want to damage the door mechanism by getting struts that
are to strong (etc.).

let me know what kind of experience you guys have had
josh

Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 17:46:47 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Car Show Panoramic Pictures

I have just confirmed today that there will be a photographer again at the
car show to do another panoramic view of the show.
If you want one you need to order it at the show from him.
He is an independent photographer and I have other things going on so if you
want a photo seek him out.
The view of Cleveland was awesome and many people missed out because they
didn't know it was there.

To see what it looked like check out the panaramic view of Cleveland at the
Deloreancarshow.com.

The cost is $40.00 and that includes shipping.

The photographer is Edward St John.

see you in Memphis

PS

with this weeks registrations we are now have over 360 people and that is
more than Cleveland.

Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 19:23:42 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Braided fuel lines

Wayne, Are you wanting to replace the fuel lines on the distributor, the pump
lines or the accumulator lines.

Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 21:06:12 -0500
From: id <ionicdesign_at_dml_execpc.com>
Subject: delorean website

does anybody know if this delorean website going to open soon.
http://www.deloreanparts.com/undercon001.htm

later
mark

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 04:15:33 -0000
From: "fivetwofive" <CBL302_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Details of Pre?production car on ebay?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_o...> wrote:
> Claude and List,
>
> The pre-production car on ebay is just that, "pre-production".
> This does not imply that it was a prototype, just pre-production.
> A lot of the post about this topic are based on speculation.  Why
> speculate when you can get answers from the source.  Just call Jim.
>
> Bottom line, if you dispute what Jim claims to be the truth about
his car, why not just give him a call.  Jim was very forthcoming about
all the custom work that has been done, not claiming it was otherwise.
If you just want to know more about it or clarify some details, I'm
sure he would be more than happy to talk with you about it.  I believe
that a phone call to him is much more worth while than just speculation.

Rich,

I have no problem with someone claiming that their Delorean(or any
car for that matter) is so and so,WHAT I DO have a problem with is
when someone is SELLING their car and they are claiming that their
car is a so and so car,WITH NO documented proof,just their word,when
it comes to money,People will say whatever you want to hear to make a
sale.Do not get me wrong,he might be 100% right on his claims,and
might be the most honest person around,BUT without Documented
proof,it is just  outright B/S and possible fraud on his part,I did
my homework on my car(vin000570)and found out it's (recorded)
previous DMC history,plus I have *real* vin plates.Basically any
bidders on that car on Ebay,are depending on the sellers honesty,and
may be up for a expensive disapointment.This may be a case where a
previous DMC worker (or Owner/ seller)got a hold of some P.Production
parts,puts them on the car,and when the person sold the car informed
the buyer,that it had rare parts on it,then person # two sells the
car and forgets to tell buyer # three,about the rare add on
parts,then buyer # three goes to sell the car,and swears up and
down,that it is a genuine P.Prouduction car,because it *has*
P.Production parts on it,even thou,he has no documented proof of that
fact.----BOTTOM LINE-- Buyer beware--Do your own investagation before
you plunk down your hard earned cash,and DO NOT EVER EVER EVER,go by
what someone says,ASK for Documented proof,of what they are
claiming,otherwise--pass on it.

P.S.

Also I did email the seller to get more info,he has never gotten back
to me!

Claude

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 05:05:35 -0000
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Wayne - Are you referring to the hoses that are attached to the fuel
distributor, and connect to the fuel injectors?  I agree that a dress
up would be a great benefit to the look of the system.  I personally
haven't done that yet, but I did replace the hard line between the
fuel accumulator and the filter with a high pressure stainless
braided hose.  I developed a crack in the connection at the
accumulator, and decided to take the easy way out to replace it.  My
hose was made locally by a company called "Fittings, Inc.".  They
have also made me several hydraulic hoses for a kit car project of
mine.  Perhaps I'll drop in and ask them what the cost would be for
the injection hoses.  I will post the results of my query when
available.  Please let us know what you find out from your connection.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., deloreanernst_at_dml_a... wrote:
> I'd like to replace my twenty year old butt-ugly fuel hoses. Has
anybody used custom made braided hose?

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 05:20:40 -0000
From: "dmcman82" <dmcman73_at_dml_hotmail.com>

There is a specialty hose manufacture place her in NY called
Moreland (sp?) Hoses. They can make any hose you want out of any
material and you can buy only one piece since they have a stock of
raw hose to make it. Since they don't have the fittings we require
you would need to supply the fittings and they will compress fit
them on. I had them make me a Stainless Steal braided Clutch line
for me. I gave them my old plastic line and they mapped out how the
fittings should go on, cut them off and put them on the new hose.
Total cost....$60. I was thinking of getting Stainless Steal braided
fuel line made up myself but never got around to it.

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 05:41:50 -0000
From: "cdrugly" <tgoodwin_at_dml_vantagep.com>
Subject: I drove my car off of a cliff today.

Ok, I didn't actually do it, but man, I wanted to. I was so happy
that the car was running well. Everything was just peachy. I had
ordered the gasket for the air intake and the o-ring for the fuel
distributor so I thought I would go ahead and replace them. No big
deal, right?

Well, I did this a few days ago and thought I'd hop in this weekend
and go for a spin. All of my lovely acceleration had vanished (I had
a little when it was cold but once it was warm it was GONE)! My
problems had returned. To go along with the poor acceleration I also
got as a bonus, crazy idle seeking! Now it would seek all the time,
between 750 and 1500 RPMs, even when the car was warm. Disconnecting
the vacuum advance from the solenoid would smooth the idle out to 800
RPMs. I made sure that it was hooked up correctly and that the
solenoid and microswitch were functioning. The frequency valve is
buzzing as well.

I checked leaks and made sure my timing was correct. When I hooked up
my timing light to 6, the light would cut out intermittantly. It did
this for 3 as well, only a little more. I disconnected and
reconnected the wires at the distributor and everything seemed to be
connected fine. If I was misfiring so much on 3 and 6, wouldn't I get
and EXTREMELY rough idle?

Another oddity is a buzzing ignition coil. Should it be buzzing? Am I
being hypersensitive? Should I seek professional help (for myself and
the car)?

Travis
#3512 (but should be 666)

Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 01:28:11 -0400
From: Jim Strickland <ihaveanaccount_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: vacuum to heater valve

I just measured the vacuum to the heater valve (at the front of the
engine compartment) and was rather surprised-
I had thought that a vacuum at the heater valve would OPEN the valve and
allow coolant to flow to the heater core.  Now that I've measured it, I
found that this valve only gets vacuum when the selector is at "MAX" or
"OFF".  I guess that would make it the exact opposite; the heater core
always gets hot water unless a vacuum is present at the hot water valve.
Just thought I'd verify this through you guys...

Jim 1537

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 08:47:16 -0000
From: "rendy_cheng" <rcheng_at_dml_eng.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust

Hi Everyone!
After adjusting air/fuel mixtures screw, the HC is a bit better, but
not good enough to pass the smog check.  During the smog
check, we discover something interesting.  HC readout from the
smog analyzer is vary between 90 to 230 ppm (max allow is
120ppm at idle).   I don't understand why HC readout has such
large variation.  The technician believes the "guts" in catalytic
converter may have damaged.

Before I did this smog check, I have find a few things about my
car.  (1) there is a vaccum leak (2) idle speed controller is dead
(3) the idle speed screw is wide open (4) the air/fuel mixture
screw has been change from previous owner (5) lamda sensor
was dead.  The only thing I have not done for 30k maintenace is
valves adjustment.  Based on all these info, I thik the system is
dumping large amount of fuel in to engine for long time, the
catalytic converter is saturated with unburn fuel.  But this "theory"
does not explain the variation in HC readout.   Is there a way to
check catalytic converter?  Is there some type of fuel additive I
can use to "clean" the catalytic converter?

Things I have done so far
(1) new spark plugs and wires
(2) new dis. cap and rotor
(3) new O2 sensor
(4) new idle speed controller (it idle much better now)
(5) fixed a vaccum leak (car accelerates much better now)
(6) adjust air/fuel mixture
(7) new oil, oil filter, air filter

Any more idea?  Thanks!

rendy cheng  #4220

Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 13:39:45 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: high hydrocarbon in exhaust

Rendy, The items below, have they been fixed. There is no mechanic in the
can. The best thing to help clean out the cat is to drive it. But, if the
system is running rich, then it may not help. The warm up regulator if not
working properly would cause the rich problem. Has a shop put a pressure
tester on it and checked out the pressure and the air flow. I have used but
good warm up regulators in stock,and new cat's at a savings.
Email or call if I can help.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 13:47:53 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: struts

Josh, You won't find door struts at a local parts store, for that matter, you
may not even find the others either.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 14:30:34 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Braided fuel lines

When I did my full-time fuel pressure sending unit project (reported in
the tech section at
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/fuelpressend.htm ), I had a custom
braided SS line made at Baker Precision Bearings (see the article for a
link to their site). It was 24" long with an 8mm banjo fitting on one
side and a -3 BRA fitting on the other.  Cost $20 complete and  took
them only a day or two.

--Pete Lucas
   VIN #06703

Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 13:00:29 -0700
From: "Mike" <mquinto_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: Autozone led's

Hello List,
I was in AutoZone yesterday to pick up some 1157 bulbs for my trailer. And to my amazement I saw the Led replacement bulbs from Jamstrait. They had the mini wedge style in hyper-bright amber, the 1156 and 1157 in super-bright red, and the wedge style for 3156 3157 style in super-bright red.
Now I would recommend buying their hyper-bright bulbs than the super-bright. Maybe they can order the others for anyone who's interested in converting.
www.jamstriat.com

vin# 1113

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 20:36:53 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you read and follow the procedures in the Workshop Manual
D:04:01-04 you will discover that you are  measuring the HC ahead of
the catalytic converter. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you follow the
procedures exactly if you want to do it right. If after following
these procedures and the HC is still too high then the catalytic
converter MAY be bad.
 ONLY DO THE ADJUSTMENT AFTER VERIFING THAT THE FUEL AND IGNITION
SYSTEMS ARE OPERATING PROPERLY.  You cannot adjust ANYTHING to correct
for an improperly running system! Variation in the HC can be caused by
the Lambda system hunting, the idle system hunting, an intermittant
breakdown in the Secondary ignition circuit, and a dirty fuel
injector. Other possible causes could be valve adjustment, low
compression on 1 or more cylinders, misfiring plugs, etc.
 The purpose of the "smog check" is to see if the car is in tune. Just
fiddling with the adjustments won't get you there, something is wrong
and you will not adjust it out. In the procedure one of the first
things it says THERE MUST BE NO AIR LEAKS PRESENT, THE IGNITION SYSTEM
IS OK AND CORRECTLY SET!!!!!!! If you know you have a vacuum leak you
should not be touching the mixture screw as in all probability if you
fix the leaks and tune up the ignition system you won't need to adjust
the mixture. With the Lambda "dead" how can you adjust the mixture?
Replace the dist cap, rotor, ignition wires and plugs, fix ALL of the
vacuum leaks and try again. After getting the car running right the
converter will be OK unless contaminated by lead or other contaminates
from gasket sealer. MAKE SURE THERE IS A PLUG INSTALLED OVER THE
MIXTURE ADJUSTING SCREW. If missing this causes a vacuum leak and
throughs off the mixture.

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 20:45:15 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Does one seal one's tires?

There is a product made by Camel called Bead Sealer. It is a thick
black paste in a can with a brush and any large tire shop will have it
or an equivelent. There are no problems with using it although it does
require the shop to dismount the tire, clean the bead area on the tire
and rim and remount after applying the sealer. I have used it on my
spare which wouldn't hold any pressure for even 1 day and now it is
fine. If the shop is sloppy then when you get home just clean the
excess off and keep an eye on the tire pressure until you are
confident that it is holding. Make sure the tire valve and stem are
not leaking also. Keep 23 psi in the front tires and 30 in the rear
and maybe have them fix the spare also (60 psi in that one).

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., Noah <sitz_at_dml_o...> wrote:
> So, the tires on the left side of #2867 are hemorraging air (the
front worse that the rear). Analysis reveals that the air is seeping
through between the tire and the rim.

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 22:30:38 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Final comments on Pre-production car on ebay?

Claude and List,

I totally agree with the buyer beware and documentation approach to
buying a rare Delorean or any car for that matter, especially if you
are paying a premium price or if you are buying it as an investment.

I also think that you can get a diamond in the rough or lost gem by
looking at all of the details, and hunt for documentation later,
especially if you can purchase the car for a reasonably low price.

Example:  How many Deloreans have you seen with the side marker lights
that touch the edge of the fascias?  Looks like pre-production to me.
(all production cars have a space between the lens and the fascia)

BTW:  Jim said he was flooded with emails but had only 2 phone calls.

Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 23:12:41 -0000
From: "shainbrannan" <shain_at_dml_elecmods.com>

I am able to order a complete set of braided lines for the fuel
distrubutor, warm up regulator, and cold start valve if anyone is
intrested.  A friend owns a high performance car place, then can
order me the ss lines.  They will be slightly expensive, mostly
because of the metric banjos, but well, well worth it.  If there are
enough who are willing to spend a little bit of money for them i
could get them for you.  I feel that it is one of those good
investments that are up there with a fire extinguisher.
Try to reply to my private email to keep traffic down on the list.
- Shain