From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1053
Date: Sunday, June 02, 2002 9:57 AM

1. MEMPHIS CARAVAN INFO
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

2. RE: Sealing?
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

3. Re: Looking for car cover
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

4. Shift Points Manual Transmission
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>

5. How do you keep your engine clean???
From: "jamesrguk" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>

6. Mode switch
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

7. 'Zine
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>

8. Re: 'Zine
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

9. Re: How do you keep your engine clean???
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>

10. Door molding wanted
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com

11. Low Side AC line
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>

12. Re: Low Side AC line
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

13. Re: Shift Points Manual Transmission
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

14. Re: Looking for car cover
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

15. Re: How do you keep your engine clean???
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

16. Driving From Orlando to Memphis
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com

17. fast idle,problem found(I think)
From: Meyerleem_at_dml_cs.com

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:08:52 -0000
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: MEMPHIS CARAVAN INFO

I've set up a very crude/fast web page on www.dmcnews.com to help
people set up caravans to Memphis. There is a link off the main page
just above the Memphis banner, or go directly to
http://www.dmcnews.com/memphis02/memphis.html

Send any updates, info, requests to remove your phone number, etc to
me at the address given on the page or below.

Once the event starts this is where I'll be uploading photos daily
(bandwidth and time permitting).

Dave Swingle - dswingle (AT) enteract.com

Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:33:42 -0700
From: "IN2TIME" <Gary_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Sealing?

Not to be morbid, but these people seem to know how to put a variety of
finishes on stainless steel.

See!     You can take it with you!

http://www.casketxpress.com/itemdetail.phtml?ID=1000964046

http://www.casketxpress.com/itemdetail.phtml?ID=977157892

http://www.auroracasket.com/WEB/products_services/product/champagnepearl
.html

http://www.auroracasket.com/WEB/products_services/product/silverpearl.ht
ml

http://www.peabodyfuneralhome.com/products/Webcaskets/RennaissanceRose.h
tm

http://www.peabodyfuneralhome.com/products/Webcaskets/GoldenSand.htm

http://www.alphacaskets.com/3947.htm

http://www.reynoldsvillecasket.com/tbfn.htm

http://www.reynoldsvillecasket.com/belle.htm

http://www.sunsetcasketoutlet.com/stainless.htm
Gary

IN2TIME

Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 22:48:02 -0400
From: "Hank Eskin" <heskin_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for car cover

> where to find a good fitting car cover?

I bought a custom fitted (for the Delorean) car cover from California Car
Covers.  I bought the "Noah" version.  It's not totally waterproof, but it
is a great protector from all the elements, animals, and other assorted
"droppings" that can collect on a car. it also "breaths" so the car doesn't
get musty.   It fits like a glove and takes moments to fold up and store.
I've kept my car outside for two years, parked under a tree in the Boston
weather (snow, ice), and it has done its job well. I think it costs about
$200.  If you want total protection, look into the "carcoon" inflatable
plastic bubble.

-Hank Eskin #1619

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 03:39:28 -0000
From: "sgskbm" <SGSKBM_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Shift Points Manual Transmission

My car has 11K on it and I thought that it would be a good idea to
run the tank of gas out of it so that I could put fresh gas in it.
In addition, it seemed like it might be fun to drive it from San
Diego to Orange County.

Anyway, I noticed that if I was under 2,500 RPM's the car seemed
to "lug" in 4th and 5th gears. If you are cruising and you are in 5th
gear 2,500 RPMS seems to be around 60 or 65 MPH.  If you accelerate,
at 2,200 to around 2,500 it will "lug" a little. I do not remember if
this is normal or not.  At 2,500 RPMs and above no problem.

The car runs great other then this issue and it performs well at the
top end, idles and starts great.

I do drive it at least once a month for a few miles and it is in
perfect shape. No fuel problems....everything is new and I do put at
least 20 miles a month on it.

Any thoughts?  Is this normal?  I just can't remember.

Thanks,

Scot

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 08:42:20 -0000
From: "jamesrguk" <dmc12_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: How do you keep your engine clean???

Hi,

I spent most of last weekend ceaning the engine in my DeLorean
including the compressor etc.. however this week when I looked the
engine had some sort of chalky spots on it and I have had to clean
them off. My car live outside so I guess the chalk /calcium stuff has
come from the rain. Is there anything I can put on the engine
conponents once I have cleaned then to either stop this happening or
at least make it easyer to re-clean?

Thanks

See you in memphis!

James RG

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 14:47:18 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Mode switch

ok

So I've taken my mode switch apart and the diaphragm was clogged with dirt
and grim and a bit sticky, it's now all cleaned up and looking new....

Put it together and its worse than before, could I have put it back in the
wrong setting?? if so how can I check if its right and line it up with the
right vacuum outlets??

Cheers

www.paul.salsbury.btinternet.co.uk

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 15:33:04 +0100
From: "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: 'Zine

Are the 'Zine pdf file still downloadable from the mailing list, I can't
seem to get no.3, has any one got it they can send to me, or just the mode
switch rebuilding bit.

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 18:01:37 -0000
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>
Subject: Re: 'Zine

I sent is just now. It's a huge (8M)file so it may cause some
download issues.

Dave Swingle

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 13:00:20 -0400
From: "Joseph Molino" <foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: How do you keep your engine clean???

I have  applied Armor All to a COLD engine and it dresses everything up real
nice.  The hoses and rubber parts look as nice as tires do when applied and
the metal looks shiny and new.  I have put many miles on my engine after
each application and there is no smell or smoke or anything.  I assume it is
safe, but that is only an assumption.

Joseph Molino

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 12:20:00 -0400
From: RJRavalli_at_dml_AOL.com
Subject: Door molding wanted

Do any list members happen to know where I can find a grey door upholstry part, the one that runs down the back arm of the drivers window just above the door panel?  I have been missing this part since I've had my D and would like to replace it before a car show coming up soon.  Needless to say, my D will not be the prettiest car there but I would like to help it out a bit before later this month.  Any ideas?

Thank you much,

Richard

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 12:32:47 -0400
From: "Palatinus, Joe" <jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu>
Subject: Low Side AC line

Is there any way to replace the lowside AC line without lifting the body off the car?  I took my car to an AC shop and the freon sniffing device found leaks everywhere, including the fitting from the lowside line to the compressor.  Is there anyway to repair the hose on the car without removing the body and all that?  Or should I just grit my teeth and start tearing the car apart?

Joe Palatinus

6808 17167

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 16:59:46 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Low Side AC line

In a message dated 6/1/2002 2:02:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
jopalatinus_at_dml_davidson.edu writes:

<< Is there any way to replace the lowside AC line without lifting the body
off the car?  I took my car to an AC shop and the freon sniffing device found
leaks everywhere, including the fitting from the lowside line to the
compressor.  Is there anyway to repair the hose on the car without removing
the body and all that?  Or should I just grit my teeth and start tearing the
car apart?
 Joe Palatinus
 6808 17167 >>

Oops, i pressed the wrong button!  here's my post again......

it is possible to replace the line - do this:
1. recover the A/C and equalize the lines at an A/C shop
2. bring the car home
3. cut the line behind the compressor and behind the dryer/accumulator
4. remove the two fittings, one on each component
5. drive your D to a tubes and hoses shop, a place that custom makes high
pressure lines for hydraulic equipment, A/C lines, etc.  they will be able to
make you a new line for the A/C from stock.
6.  the shop should be able to run a line w/o any fittings thru the body
easily enough.  they will probably cut it long and remove the passenger tire,
jack the car up, and pull the line thru the front outside of the car, with
the other end hanging out the back of the body.  show them the fitting that
came off the accumulator. they probably have a new one, it is not a rare
part.  they can then crimp a new fitting onto it outside the car.
7. they will pull the line tight thru the other end of the car, bring it up
around to the compressor, and from the back of the car will be able to crimp
a new fitting onto the line and attach it to the compressor.
8.  hopefully you were able to get all of this stuff done within a couple
hours or else you may need a new dryer/accumulator.  so you should drive to
the shop a couple days beforehand and make sure they are willing to do this
job for you.  once they see what to do, they should agree it is easy.  i was
quoted about $70 for a new line with fittings installed on the car for the
high pressure side, with line that is built for A/C and can hold the smaller
134a molecule.  while you are at it, you may want to do the high pressure
side as well and save yourself a day sometime in the future!!

i'm sure you can see that this is a much better idea than buying a new line
and lifting the body up!!!

if you absolutely can't find anyone where you live to do this job, Rob Grady
carries a new line with removable fittings that holds 134a.  you could then
do this job yourself, but it is about twice as expensive.

any questions on the logistics of this, feel free to email me.

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 19:26:14 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Shift Points Manual Transmission

Yeah, that sounds about the same as on my car. Because of the wierd
ratio od the 5th gear, I treat my car like a 4-speed w/overdrive. I
don't shift into 5th until at least 63-70 mph. The low # being the
shift point for cruising, and 65+ for accelleration. Otherwise, I
just cruise in the other 4 gears. And for the lower gears, I use the
following shift points (it's easier to type just like the tach says
X100); Conservative 32RPM, Commuting: 38-42RPM, Aggressive: 48-60RPM.

In this case, aggressive would be an uncommon, if not rare situation
when the lane I'm in is ending, and I need to get ahead because
slowing down isn't an option. Otherwise, I wouldn't reccomend
shifting that late. 2 big reasons: 1. It will guzzle gas like you
wouldn't believe! 2. While this may be only on my car, it allows the
fan blades on the alernator to flex way too much in the direction of
the belt. I have had the problem of where I didn't have the car in
gear when shifting, and it popped into neutral. The RPMs jumped up to
over 70. Next thing I knew, the alternator chewed my belt, and I had
to replace it.

It's a plug I know, but if you want to really clean out you fuel
system, try a bottle of Berryman's Total Fuel System Cleanup. You're
not going to nessisarily be slammed into your seat, but it does
noticable improce accelleration and power.

<SNIP>

Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2002 19:59:52 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "kenndeal" <kenndeal_at_dml_a...> wrote:
> No room in the garage for the Delorean right now. Any ideas on
> where to find a good fitting car cover?

Sounds like it's time for a yard sale! :p If you need a "cheapie" car
cover, a much discussed/used one here on the list is the car cover
from Wal-Mart. It not only fits the DeLorean, but it also says "De
Lorean" on the box as a compatable car. It's not bad, and it does
keep the car fairly cool. For the most part, the cover fits fairly
well, with the exception of the side mirrors. Too much cloth is
allowed to flap in the wind IMO. That is why a custom cover would be
a much better choice for a longer term of usage, and/or appearance.

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 16:41:20 EDT
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/1/2002 2:00:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
foxmul_at_dml_bellatlantic.net writes:

<< I have  applied Armor All to a COLD engine and it dresses everything up
real
 nice.  The hoses and rubber parts look as nice as tires do when applied and
 the metal looks shiny and new.  I have put many miles on my engine after
 each application and there is no smell or smoke or anything.  I assume it is
 safe, but that is only an assumption.

 Joseph Molino
 vin 2850 >>

I use something sort of like Armor All but it is called Universal Dressing.
It is a part number from a whole line of cleaning products that a company
called DSI in Fargo, ND has.  it is a milky white thin liquid that you spray
on with a spray bottle and then take a thin cloth and wipe it all over
everything until the white beads of liquid disappear and all that is left is
a very shiny residue.  it lasts a couple of weeks of driving before i feel
like freshening it up again.  but then again i try to keep my car as clean as
possible at all times.  i had the engine steamcleaned this spring (BIG
IMPROVEMENT!! you should get your engine and underbody steamcleaned before
applying any dressing).  the steam cleaner uses this same DSI chemical, which
is how i found out about it.  it comes in gallons and works wonders.  If
anyone would like some, i will give you more information when i get home this
tuesday.

as for the chalky stuff, are you talking about how the intake manifold looks?
 i had to get mine repainted (including the thermostat housing and a new
waterpump) in order to get rid of that splotchy problem.  i keep it looking
good with the Universal Dressing.  in my opinion, my engine looks better than
most when i have it dressed up.

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 17:20:14 EDT
From: mroboto_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Driving From Orlando to Memphis

I am trailering one of my Deloreans from Orlando to Memphis on Wednesday
Morning the  12th. We have an Excursion with plenty of comfortable room if
anyone would like a ride, or to caravan to the Memphis show. Our intent is to
overnight around Atlanta Wednesday night. I'll have a good supply of hand
tools with us in case anyone's D has a problem along the way. If anyone in FL
or Atlanta are interested, please email me privately.

Everyone have a safe trip to Memphis and I look forward to seing you there!

Daniel Deutsch-Orlando
3356 & 15779

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 18:45:52 EDT
From: Meyerleem_at_dml_cs.com
Subject: fast idle,problem found(I think)

Thanks to all who responded to my idle problem. I took off the "w" pipe and
looked at the throttleplates as was suggested. The right throttle plate is
definately bent and the left one also appears to be slightly bent. I assume
this is from the backfire I had when tring to start the car. I also found
that the plates were not opening fully and plan to fix this at the same time.
I'm guessing that this is just an adjustment in the rod. anyway, i'm looking
for the best place to buy new plates and gaskets including the rubber?
gaskeeet under the throttle body. Any suggestions? Also my left side window
decided not to operate this spring so how does the door panel come apart?
                                                        Thanks
                                                                Lee meyer