From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1079
Date: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 10:31 PM

1. Re: next year
From: "SteveDMC" <stevedmc_at_dml_ponchatoulahigh.com>

2. Re: next year
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: next year
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

4. Re: Re: Fw: buying a "D"
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>

5. Re: acceleration noise found! how to fix??
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

6. Re: Financing a delorean-Question to all
From: "vrt10whips" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Financing a delorean-Question to all
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

8. RE: next year
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

9. Re: Water Leaks
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

10. Re: next year
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: DeLorean font
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>

12. RE: next year
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

13. RE: pewter Delorean
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

14. RE: stock delorean
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

15. Where are all the photos?!
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

16. Re: acceleration noise found! (quick fix)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

17. Re: next year shows
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:00:13 -0500
From: "SteveDMC" <stevedmc_at_dml_ponchatoulahigh.com>
Subject: Re: next year

Thats because it is planned for every two years.

The next big show is in 2004.

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:59:14 EDT
From: njp548_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/18/02 10:45:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

<< I don't know if this has been answered already, but why isn't there a car
show planned for next year? >>

there is no show planned for next year.

Later,
Nick Pitello
<A HREF="Http://members.aol.com/njp548">Http://members.aol.com/njp548</A>

[MODERATOR NOTE: Ken Koncelik does not have plans for a 2003 show, but someone else might.]

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 03:13:07 -0000
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

If you knew the amount of work that goes into this, you'd understand
why it can't happen every year. Preparation (and investment) is
already underway for Ken's show in 2004.

Maybe people don't realize this, but Ken Koncelic puts this on
essentially by himself with the help of family and a few close
friends. Including putting up a huge chunk of cash up front, and the
risk of loss from gate-crashers (it happens). His overall goal is to
break even, and he values his own time at zero dollars. It's
absolutely amazing how close this comes to meaning a serious personal
financial hit to Ken.

(This is not a corporate effort, although there are donations from
vendors to support the raffle, so indirectly there is some
sponsorship.)

Actually there is a show next year, it will be in May at DeLorean
Motor Company's place in Houston.

Dave Swingle

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:02:57 -0400
From: "Mike Aninger" <mike_at_dml_ninja.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Fw: buying a "D"

What do you
> consider your "needs" are? If you "need" to own a fun car, that's the
> first requirement that you've already met! :-)
>
> -Robert.
> vin 6585 "X"

Thank You. You answered my question wonderfuly.  My need is a reliable car
to feel safe driving andy time with peace of mind . . .  preferably one that
is wraped in brushed SS ;-).

-Mike A.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 05:06:39 -0000
From: "tmpintnl" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: acceleration noise found! how to fix??

Andy - It sounds like you are talking about the "heat stove" that
supplies hot air to the intake for cold start up.  There was quite a
bit of chatter on the list about this part ... apparently it can no
longer be found.  Somebody who is handy with "tin work" could
probably patch it back together, but you would have to get it off
first.  The rusty studs, etc. could be a problem.  You'll have to
decide how deep you want to go, considering the potential challenges
with sheared off studs, etc.  There was also much talk on the List
about getting the manifolds off, so there might be some good ideas in
that thread.  Good luck.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248
Winged1

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:40:13 -0000
From: "vrt10whips" <vrt10whips_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Financing a delorean-Question to all

First off, I want to thank everyone for there wonderful replys.

Andy,

Dont worry, no offense taken, Unfortunately it is extreemely
difficult to offend me.  Yes I am around the collage age, I am 19
years old.  I would like to know what gave it away though. :-)

You answered my next question, about expenses after purchase.  I dont
mind not having one that is in tip top shape, although it would be
nice.  I just want one that runs well enough, especially for the fist
year, to drive it relatively frequently, and any work that needs to
be done is not necessary immediately, and not necessary to run.  It
would be way to difficult for me emotionally to get one and not be
able to drive it a bunch when I first get it.  I can deal with
repairs down the road.

On the subject of being able to afford it, I was lucky enough to
stumble upon a career two years ago out of a favorite hobby.  I am
doing very well with it and will be able to afford it most
definitly.  Unfortunately over the past two years I was young and
much too excited about making that kind of money then, that I spend
quite a bit of it on things I shouldnt have.  It was that time of my
life.

About it being my only vehicle, I am lucky because I dont currently
go to school, and I work at home :-) what are the chances.  Just
joking, I have another car that is perfect for a fulltime driver, or
once I get my d, every once and a while driver.:-)

I have a feeling when I first get mine, it will take some financial
adjustment, and some time to get used to it.  I know it would be most
definitly worth it no matter what.  Thats why Im so anxious to jump
in.

Sounds like a great deal being manager at a shop like that.  I have a
friend who used to work at a my lube and he would get us free oil
changes and they would let us work on our cars their.  Its too bad he
quit.:-)

I know I should just get one, Im just hesitant, and cautious.  Too
much for my own good most of the time.  I have seen many ds Ive
wanted, but I am just weary on ebay, Id like to drive it and look at
it, and also get another d owners opinion.  hopefully Ill be able to
do that when I find the right one for me.

Richard,

Im glad to hear that it didnt effect you much.  I was wandering if it
took a bit of the fun out of it until it was payed off.

I think Im probobly going to just save up for a while till I get
about two thirds of it saved up, and get a loan for the last bit.  I
am just overly cautious and wanted to hear everyones Ideas and what
they think would work best.  Hopefully I will have a delorean soon
and Ill be meeting some of you in person.

Roger,

Well I am a curious guy.

Fortunately, I am single and unmarried so I am able in that regard.
I am pineing for a delorean bad, and have been for quite a while.  I

I think I will be able to go for it, hopefully soon, but never soon
enough.

Thanks for all of your replys, and if you have anything else to add
or any tips on finding the right delorean, or anything, I would love
to hear.

Thanks again,

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 02:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Prentis <aprentis_at_dml_rocketmail.com>

Hi Paul,
I got a bank loan to pay for my DeLorean.Like you i
was just dying to get one and couldn't wait.But if you
do that you really need to know your finances.You need
to make sure you have enough to cover any payments as
well as any maintanence issues with the car because
things do break on the car and you need to have funds
to cover yourself.
Be careful of EBAY cars.Don't rush in and buy the
first one you see.Bide your time and buy the best one
you can.It may cost you more but will save you money
in the long run
I think if your confident you can meet the costs of
the loan and maintaining the car i say go for it.If
not save up an wait till you have enough to buy it
outright.
Cheers,
Andrew Prentis
VIN 2883
Australia

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:09:46 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>

I believe James Espey said that Delorean Motor Company in Houston will be
having an event next May. Because of the time and effort Ken puts into his
shows, 2 years is the usual time he takes to make sure everything is planned
properly.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:34:49 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Water Leaks

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_y..., "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_e...> wrote:
> My souvenir of Memphis was a reminder of my continued inability to
> find the water leak that bugs me every time I drive in the rain (i.e.
> every car show). It doesn't happen all the time. Going INTO Memphis -
> no leaks. Coming out - after about 1/2 hour in the rain, I get a drip
> that seems to come from the left knee pad and lands on my left shin.
> Only when slowing down, (like it collects in the knee pad and then
> falls out on deceleration).
>
> When I got home a ran a hose all around the area - nothing. I
> suspected the hood stop/wiper opening, but upon further investigation
> those are in the wrong place for where I'm getting wet. It seems to
> me that to collect in the knee pad it would HAVE to be coming in
> through the door seal.
<SNIP>

Have you tried looking under the kneepad to see perhaps if the water leaking
in has left a stain where it has trailed down?

Whats odd about this leak is the following: 1. the leak doesn't occur when the
vehicle is stationary, but it's too high to be a forced in leak from a seal on the
bottom of the car. 2. The leak doesn't happen when the car is in motion, but
only when it slows down. This only narrrows me down to 2 places: The bottom
of the windshield, and/or the rubber seals on the windshield wiper blade
arms.

Try this test: Get a high pressure nozzle for you garden hose, and spray the
bottom of the windshield for a few minutes in a sweeping motion, and see if
anything happens. If nothing, try the test again, but this time turn the wipers
on. Perhaps the seal on the drivers side wiper is bad, and when the wiper arm
turns up, it exposes the bad portion of the seal. Then if you have the leak, try
tracing it back.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:46:27 EDT
From: kkoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 6/18/02 10:45:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
delorean66_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I don't know if this has been answered already, but why isn't there a car
> show planned for next year?
>
> Just curious,

I can definately answer that one
Its because it takes me two years to recover from the last one
2004 Pigeon Forge Tennessee

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:47:19 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <DMCVegas_at_dml_lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean font

Be careful, There are 2 seperate DeLorean fonts out there that have their
variations. Different "t" "L"& "R" characters if I remember correctly. "DMC
Daddy's" webpage offers the correct one for download I think. Check the links
section.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:20:29 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>

There probably is..

"DeLorean Car Show" run by Ken K runs every other year probably due to the fact that running a show like this is not easy.  It's unfortunate that most of the attendees wait until the last minute to register adding complexity to running a show like this.

I believe the show in Atlanta runs every other year too (years when Ken does not run a show).  SEDOC runs it.  See http://www.geocities.com/dmcjoe/cruisein.html

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:32:30 -0500
From: "Brian McCool" <bjmccool_at_dml_attbi.com>
Subject: RE: pewter Delorean

I've got the same pewter Delorean with open doors. From  what I've seen, $75
to $100 at least. I don't think these are made anymore.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:31:47 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: stock delorean

FWIW, I've always thought the 0-60 and quarter mile times were much too
long. Ramping up to the red line can get you 35 in first gear at what seems
to be next to no time-- before the next crosswalk in a medium-large
intersection.
Anybody gone to the track in the last 20 years? Surely somebody has times to
report for us. Please, divulge your precious info and inform us. Pretty
Please?
-Kevin

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:31:13 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy_at_dml_paramanet.com>
Subject: Where are all the photos?!

Lots of pictures were taken in Memphis...  Anyone plan on sharing them?

We all have Yahoo accounts, so you can put them on your Geocities web space... or, in the mailing list photos sections.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:14:08 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: acceleration noise found! (quick fix)

Andy,

This is a common problem and a "quick fix" that I have used on a few
Deloreans over the years is to use a large, stainless steel hose clamp
over the pipe and the heatshield.  This is a semi-permanent fix that
will last until you can spend the time for a complete fix.

This will get rid of your mid RPM buzz.  Hope this helps.

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:18:11 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: next year shows

Grigor and List,

DMCH is having Open House II next year that should include a show
and Ken Montgomery plans on having a "West Coast" show, but the
location is yet to be determined.  There has been a lot of interest
with the AZ club co-hosting this event, so watch the DML for details.