From: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 1102
Date: Friday, July 05, 2002 5:01 PM

1. Re: Transmission debris
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

2. Re: No spark
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com

3. refrigerant oil, how much?
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>

4. Coming to America - www.delorean-livingthedream.co.uk
From: "simioid2000" <simioid_at_dml_hotmail.com>

5. RE: delorean scam
From: "Bob & Vicky Miller" <delo1_at_dml_mindspring.com>

6. Re: Coming to America - www.delorean-livingthedream.co.uk
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

7. Re: refrigerant oil, how much?
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: refrigerant oil, how much?
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

9. Re: refrigerant oil, how much?
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

10. Door Adjustments
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>

11. Re: Coming to America - early Sept. Midwest stop
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

12. Re: No spark
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

13. RE: Re: Coming to America - early Sept. Midwest stop
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>

14. Re: refrigerant oil, how much?
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

15. cargo space
From: "joshp1986" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 19:07:38 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission debris

If the trans keeps filling up with "debris" otherwise known as
friction materiel this is bad news. This can only be coming from the
clutch plates. This happens when the trans is used with too low a line
pressure and the clutch packs slip execessivly. This is a viscous
cycle as the more debris the lower the line pressure, the lower the
line pressure the more the slippage, the more slippage the more
debris. I think the best thing to do at this point is to remove the
trans again and disassemble and inspect everything. Make sure that the
torque converter is flushed of ALL debris. Make sure the filter isn't
 defective (there was a bad batch of filters). Replace anything worn
and reassemble to correct running specs. If you aren't able to do
trans work then send off the torque converter, trans, final drive
package to someone who can rebuild it for you. This isn't a valve body
problem, it only shifts the gears, it doesn't directly control line
pressure. By the way an automatic doesn't have a easy life on a
Delorean with a turbo so expect the trans not to live forever anyway.

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:08:44 EDT
From: dherv10_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: No spark

Adam, Swap it out with another Delorean if you have one in the area. If not
You can send it to me and i can test it.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/

<< I want to thank you all for the advice about what to do with my fuel
problem
 (No fuel pressure), it was the RPM relay.  I have been working on the
 ignition system trying to figure out why I am not getting any spark to my
 plugs.  I replaced the coil and I am getting power to the positive side of
 the coil and I am also getting power to and from the ignition resistor.  I
 checked the distributor and the plug wires and I believe they are OK.  The
 only thing that leaves is the ignition ECU.  If the ECU is bad, would that
 cause a lack of spark to the spark plugs?  Is there any way of testing this
 ECU before buying a new one?

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 15:34:56 -0400
From: "Walter Coe" <Whalt_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: refrigerant oil, how much?

I need to know how much refrigerant oil belongs in each component of the
DeLorean.  Somewhere there should be a published chart that explains this.

None of the vendors seem to know either.  They send their a/c work out.

Walt

Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 22:46:09 -0000
From: "simioid2000" <simioid_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Coming to America - www.delorean-livingthedream.co.uk

Mid September 2002 I will be be chasing the dream of owning a
Delorean. I will be coming to America (fully documented on video,
hopefully for television) to seek out a Delorean for myself, meeting
as many fellow members as possible and also travelling coast to coast
across the States.

I am looking for clubs and or members with stories to tell, be it how
you came to own your De, or how your car is unusual. Once we have
received your invitation/interest in the project we will plan our
route across America.

More information can be found (from the 8th July) at www.delorean-
livingthedream.co.uk. Please sign up to mailing list to receive
notification of site launch.

I am open to any suggestions or advice to make this expedition a
success.

Regards
Gary (DOC UK & Delorean Owners Assoc Member
gary_at_dml_delorean-livingthedream.co.uk

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 22:18:05 -0400
From: "Bob & Vicky Miller" <delo1_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: delorean scam

Hello list....FYI
about the 2 deloreans for sale on eBay.. I ran the plates  that appear on
the cars  the first one is registered to Michael Babb.. #003472 and the
other belongs  to #005356 no name

If you will go to the eBay name seanm Corbett it will pull up the canceled
auctions and pictures  this appears to be the same person under a different
eBay name pulling the same trick... I would watch my self because the old
pictures match the new ones on eBay.. BEWARE

i hope this isnt another sean mccorbet delorean scam on ebay. sellers name
is your_sale.
two deloreans and two diffrent states.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841148382
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1841457689

mark

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 02:22:45 -0000
From: "daveswingle2" <dswingle_at_dml_enteract.com>

Gary

We have a GREAT opportunity for you if you happen to be able to make
it to the Chicago area a little earlier in the month. The DeLorean
Midwest club has couple of things going on the weekend of September 7-
8. Saturday the 7th, we'll be getting together for our fall tech
session (location TBD). We usually have 15-20 members get together
and work on cars - everything from oil change/door adjustments to
suspension upgrades. Let me know if you're interested. We usually
have a few folks from the mid-states club as well, and others from
farther away.

The next day, Sunday, is the Chicago area British Car Festival - your
chance to see about 900 Left-hand-drive British cars (including our
DeLoreans).

If you can make it here by then (not exactly mid-September) you'd be
most welcome. We'll be coordiating some accomodations for other out-
of-towners.

Let me know if you're interested.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 20:28:22 EDT
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: refrigerant oil, how much?

Walt,
In my DMC manual under General Data page A:05:01 it shows 2.5 lbs of R-12.  I
had mine serviced by a good friend (a licenced A/C engineer).  He pumped out
the system and then refilled it with 2.5lbs of R-12.  That was 3 years ago
and it is still cooling nicely.
Good luck
Bill

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 23:52:55 -0400
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Two things concerning your post:
1. Walter was asking about OIL not freon
2. The charge should be 2.2 lbs of R-12. The higher value was later changed
by the DMC factory to 2.2 lbs

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6298 (FOR SALE)
tomcio_at_dml_gtemail.net

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:13:15 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

It is really hard to say just exactly how much oil should be in each
component. It depends on how many times the system has been refilled
with freon, if it is leaky, if it is stored etc. In general you can
ignore the minor amounts in everything except the compressor where
most of the oil is anyway. The procedure for checking the amount of
oil in the compressor is in your Workshop Manual N:10:03-:04. If you
are replacing the compressor go to N:10:12. While it is true that the
oil circulates around the system the bulk of the oil is supposed to
stay in the compressor for the obvious reason, lubrication of the
moving parts. The other parts of the system don't require lubrication,
they just allow the oil that escapes from the compressor to return to
it. On the subject of refrigerent oil if you are checking the level
two other very important things to check are color and PH. Color is
easy, PH requires a test strip like you use on a pool. If you have a
leaky system and moisture got in it wrecks the PH and will cause
corrosion. In general it is best not to add oil but to just remove it
all and replace with fresh that way PH isn't a concern and you are
removing any dirt and contaminates. We are only talking about ounces
here.

Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 20:33:05 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayf_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Door Adjustments

FYI, five years ago when I purchased my D, I had new door struts installed
as the doors both dropped pretty good...it did SOME correction but still
needed the torsion bar adjusted. As no one around here to do it, I built the
jig and got the tools and with the help of a friend, did it myself....they
were fine.....over the last few months they began to droop again.  I thought
I should start with new struts again, which I did, and then probably go the
rest of the  way, with the torsion bar adjust again.  Got the new struts
installed and could hardly believe that was all it took.....both doors go to
the top and bounce a little.  I am careful to "restrain" them at that last
little hit at the top as when winter comes they will probably be just about
right.....for what its worth department.
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic: DMC-XII

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 13:16:26 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Coming to America - early Sept. Midwest stop

Gary,

I agree that an extra effort should be made to stop in the Midwest in
early September, if possible.  There are several members / non-members
that are planning on attending both events, including D owners from
Minnesota, Michigan and possibly a surprise from the North East coast.

As far as explaining how some of our club's Deloreans are unusual or
different, that may take longer than a weekend, since you should plan
on seeing the screaming yellow D from the Mid States club, a rolling
stainless steel frame setup from Pearce Design, as well as a few of
my Delorean projects, including the D Rex and Delorean convertible.
(and hopefully our surprise attendee from the northeast)

Even if you cannot make the early September dates, there is another
Midwest event in Evansville, IN, near the end of September.  This one
event may not be as well attended as the "near Chicago" events earlier
in the month, but it should also be a great D event for you to attend.

Hope we can "talk D's" when you are in the area.

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 15:53:23 -0000
From: "jtrealtywebspannet" <jtrealty_at_dml_webspan.net>

If you are getting voltage to the ignition coil take the wire going
from the coil to the distributer out of the distributer and see if you
are getting  a spark. If you do but are not getting any to the plugs
the problem may be inside the distributer like a bad cap or rotor. If
you do not get any spark at all the trouble can be a bad ECU, a bad
pick-up coil in the distributer, or a problem with the wiring. Best to
susbstitute known good components to avoid buying parts you don't
need. Make sure the connections on the ballast resistors are clean and
tight.

Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:50:13 -0500
From: "K Creason" <dmc4687_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Coming to America - early Sept. Midwest stop

you've got to come to Houston to see and film the new warehouse.
maybe our DOT (DeLoreans of Texas) will get together again while you are
here. It's been a while...

Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:16:37 EDT
From: tonilfhs98_at_dml_aol.com

Tom,
Thanks for pointing that out.  I learn something new on the DML everyday.  I
will change that to 2.2Lbs in my workbook for future reference.
Bill

Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 17:39:18 -0000
From: "joshp1986" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: cargo space

  Hi,
   I was wondering how much stuff can you put in a DeLorean? Like
grocery bags and suitcases.
                   Thanks,
                       Porterhouse